• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nip It Player Reset (resized).jpg
Nip It bonus count (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I am repairing a 1973 Bally Nip-It machine and have run into a few problems I can't figure out. Here are the issues I'm having:

1) The bonus is never counted when a ball drains.
2) The "gator ball" never locks. Instead it runs the score motor for a few cycles, awards points, and kicks out instead of staying locked.
3) The game never resets to player 1 during multiplayer. It will advance to player 2, 3 and 4, but never return to 1.

I've done the usual stuff - heavy cleaning on all jones plugs, stepper units have been taken apart and cleaned. All stepper unit eos switches have been adjusted and tested for good continuity. I did a general cleaning of a wire brush on every relay, but didn't go through them 100% individually. I also did not clean every contact on the score motor yet, but did do a thorough check on cams 1, 3, 4, and 6 as I was repairing other issues.

I've noticed what may be a short in 2 of the relays. On both the "player reset relay" and "2nd ball relay" there are sets of alternating contacts toward the rear most side of the fixture (middle contact moves to touch a different contact on either side when coil is energized). I've noticed that in either position (solenoid on or off) that all 3 contacts have continuity between them, despite the center contact clearly not touching both of the other contacts at the same time. Could someone tell me if this is normal or if I need to hunt down a short somewhere?

Any other help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Sell it to me and that will solve your problems

#3 3 years ago

Seriously, looknat one problem at a time. Wish I was closer and could give you a hand.

For the player 1 issue, check the player unit. Is it a contact issue or a mechanical issue of not physically moving back to player 1 position.

For the gator issue, are the leaf switches adjusted so it senses what is happening properly? I dont have a schematic in front of me to see the details.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

1) The bonus is never counted when a ball drains.

The 2nd Ball relay should fire when the ball drains and stay active while the bonus counts down to zero.
Nip It bonus count (resized).jpgNip It bonus count (resized).jpg
The Bonus Score relay should fire when the 2nd Ball relay does (for bonuses of up to 5000 points) and stay active until the bonus counts down to zero too. If it doesn't, check the switches in the path shown in red on the right side of the schematic.

Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I3) The game never resets to player 1 during multiplayer. It will advance to player 2, 3 and 4, but never return to 1.

Since the Player unit steps up but doesn't reset that could be the Make/Break switch in red:
Nip It Player Reset (resized).jpgNip It Player Reset (resized).jpg
Either the Player Reset relay isn't firing or that switch isn't flipping to the other side.

Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I've noticed that in either position (solenoid on or off) that all 3 contacts have continuity between them, despite the center contact clearly not touching both of the other contacts at the same time.

Continuity isn't a reliable test for switches. It just tells you that the meter sees a path between the two probes, not that it sees a path through the switch you're interested in. In this case if you look at the schematic above, your meter is probably telling you that there is a path through the Player Up Unit step up and reset solenoids. If you want to know if the switch is opening and closing you need to check the resistance across the switch, not the continuity.

/Mark

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-a-nip-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.