Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by flashburn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

So, I've had this NGG for over a year now, unable to solve this issue. I've had a tech work on it, and replaced various parts.

The issue is that the "Upper Right Eject" will fire randomly while playing the game. It never does this in the test menus, nor before I bought it and when my tech friend took it home, it never happened there.

I've replaced the following parts with no success: Opto's, Opto Board, and MPU Board. I have a NBA FB that I borrowed the Power Driver board, and had an assortment of new issues happen when I tested this, where it would constantly eject balls, and I couldn't start a game. I quadruple checked all the connectors and they were correct. Swapped everything back and my NBA was behaving as normal, and the NGG was back to behaving fine except for the right eject.

Any ideas? Maybe something stupid that we overlooked?

#2 3 years ago

Spitballing - an intermittent short to Q65? Failing diode in the switch matrix, causing a phantom closure that activates the upper right eject?

What if you leave the switch test running and bang around on the playfield a bit? Anything being activated that looks out of the ordinary?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

The issue is that the "Upper Right Eject" will fire randomly while playing the game. It never does this in the test menus

Sounds like a weak transmitter opto. Replace it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like a weak transmitter opto. Replace it.

As I mentioned, I already replaced the optos.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Spitballing - an intermittent short to Q65? Failing diode in the switch matrix, causing a phantom closure that activates the upper right eject?
What if you leave the switch test running and bang around on the playfield a bit? Anything being activated that looks out of the ordinary?

Q65 is on the Power Driver board right? I think I'll try swapping my Power Driver again from NBA, I don't really understand why it wouldn't work the first time I tried it.

I did try banging around on the playfield/cabinet while in switch test, but still wouldn't trigger.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

As I mentioned, I already replaced the optos.

Thanks. did not see that. It is the only thing I had ever encountered with an transmitter opto working in test mode but not in game play.

1 month later
#7 2 years ago

Swapped power driver boards again with my NBA FB, and the issue still occurs, so it doesn't seem like it's anything on the power driver board. So that rules out power driver, optos, MPU board, and opto board. Any other ideas?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 2 years ago

I had an odd problem a week ago with my TS mini playfield. It ended up being nothing to do with the mini PF, but was a target in front of the VUK that had a broken wire. The reason I am Sharing is, you may want to check more than optos and make sure no other switch issues exist. My issue was not even triggering a troubleshoot error at boot.

3 months later
#9 2 years ago

Spent some more time on it. I noticed that most of the optos will randomly flash open when pressing the flippers. It happens more so when pressing the right flipper than the left.

I didn't seem to have such widespread opto issues until recently, probably after swapping over the power driver board? Before this it seemed to mostly (only?) happen with the right popper optos.

These are the switches that will flash open when flipping: 31 Trough Eject, 38 Jet Popper, 44 Put Out Popper, 45 Right Popper Jam, 46 Right Popper. It doesn't seem like it's vibration from the flippers causing it, because banging on the playfield doesn't cause them to flicker at all. It does only happen when high voltage is going, doesn't seem like it's a switch causing it.

Things I've tried: New opto board, new optos for right popper, new CPU board, swapping ASICs, swapping power driver boards, reseating all connectors, using a IDC pusher to press down wires into IDC connector.

#10 2 years ago

I have the exact same issue on mine.
Maybe it’s a bug? I have 1.3 code

#11 2 years ago

Measure your 12 volts while flipping the flippers.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#.22Jittery.22_Opto_Switches

I know you've swapped driver boards, but you can't really rule them out without taking voltage readings.

#12 2 years ago

This sounds like a bad diode or a diode that became disconnected. Whenever power goes where it shouldn't, that's a diode issue. Nearly the same thing happened to my Jurassic Park.

I found this video that helped me fix the problem. In this video, if two switches are pressed at the same time, the switch in the scoop would trigger and kick a fantom ball.

Which sounds exactly like what's happening in your game, does it not?

#13 2 years ago

Any updates on this?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Any updates on this?

Not yet, I really only get the chance to work on my pins maybe once a week at the most. I'm going to try and get back to it soon. I think it's a 12v issue as phishrace mentioned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 49.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Reston, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-a-ngg-from-hell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.