• Latest reply 3 years ago by rockwell
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

legs (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I am a first-time pinball owner working on my Embryon machine. The machine is in good shape overall, with a small handful of little bugs to work out functionally. The current issue I am troubleshooting is a light bulb that won't come on (the "Top Center Lane Arrow" on the playfield). I tired a new bulb, no luck. I thought maybe it was a bad socket, but I swapped a new one in there and the issue persists. I traced the wire back to the auxiliary lamp board, where the connection seems good. There is continuity between the connector pin and the pin on the board. The related transistor and resistor both seem fine, though that is as far back as I've traced it. Any other thoughts on what is best to check next? I have not checked the continuity of the wire from socket to connector plug, but I will confirm that tomorrow, in case there is a break in the wore somewhere. I can post images later if that helps. Cheers!

#2 3 years ago

Also, a related question...does it matter which leg of this style of socket you attach the wire to (I tried both with no results)?

legs (resized).jpglegs (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Any other thoughts on what is best to check next? I have not checked the continuity of the wire from socket to connector plug, but I will confirm that tomorrow, in case there is a break in the wore somewhere.

Power at the board ? Power at the connector ? Power at the socket ? Then check continuity of wiring once you narrow it down a little.

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Also, a related question...does it matter which leg of this style of socket you attach the wire to (I tried both with no results)?[quoted image]

O.K. with that style of wedge base lamp socket...
1) main buss wire needs to be on one of the mini solder lugs.
OR
1a) add a mini jumper from one of the mini solder lugs to the base of the mounting bracket
-- that has the main buss wire.
2) keep the one color wire soldered on the other mini lug.
3) keep wires separate... do not short.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

O.K. with that style of wedge base lamp socket...

Ah, I see. Well that could also be the problem then :facepalm: Will confirm tomorrow and try a re-wiring of that socket. is it preferable to jump that mini solder lug on the socket right to the mounting bracket, or solder it directly to the main GI wire (without contacting the bracket)?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from rockwell:

Ah, I see. Well that could also be the problem then :facepalm: Will confirm tomorrow and try a re-wiring of that socket. is it preferable to jump that mini solder lug on the socket right to the mounting bracket, or solder it directly to the main GI wire (without contacting the bracket)?

For me, I would put a small jump wire to the bracket...
BUT, the bracket might not like it... I have come across metal that does not take solder.
If that is the case, then, you have to have a jumper wire long enough to go to the base buss.

#7 3 years ago

Also, fwiw: any time I've had trouble getting solder to take to new sockets/metal, i find filing the metal to roughen it up and add a bit of flux paste can sometimes help ease the process.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

For me, I would put a small jump wire to the bracket...
BUT, the bracket might not like it... I have come across metal that does not take solder.

Quoted from frunch:

Also, fwiw: any time I've had trouble getting solder to take to new sockets/metal, i find filing the metal to roughen it up and add a bit of flux paste can sometimes help ease the process.

Roger that. Thanks for the tips, we'll see how it goes!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 90.00
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubleshooting-a-bad-bulb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.