20171121_172135 (resized).jpg
0replay-unit-work-01 (resized).JPG
20171119_202604 (resized).jpg
20171119_203219 (resized).jpg
20171119_203209 (resized).jpg
20171119_202916 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hello everyone
I am having a problem getting my replay unit set up properly on my Williams king pin. This game has been completely gone through, cleaned, clear coated, polished, etc. Everything seems to be working properly now except my replay unit.

The problem is, when credits are removed from it the wheel does not do a full rotation and display's between two numbers. I can fix this by adjusting the screw which stops the coil on the replay unit from opening too far, but when I change this, adding 1 credit spins the wheel too far and adds anywhere from 1 to 4 credits. I tried finding the sweet spot with the screw but I can't find a spot which allows both the add and subtract to function properly.

The replay unit has been completely taken apart, cleaned, polished and reassembled. It works perfectly manually, but for the life of me I can't get this set properly. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? This is the only Williams game I have ever worked on, but the 3 gottliebs I have done were not difficult at all to set.

Any ideas!?!

#2 6 years ago

I see a NO 1000 sw. involved with it. Is that all good?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I see a NO 1000 sw. involved with it. Is that all good?

You lost me here. What is this?

#4 6 years ago

Do you have the schematic? If not, here: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1375 Look down the right-hand side to 8 and you'll see the replay SU and then following that back you'll see a Normally Open switch on the 1000 relay. Oddly, it doesn't give wire colors, but check to make sure that the switches are clean and gapped right. There is also a switch on the score motor at #3 that involves replay.

#5 6 years ago

Ya I have the schematic. Everything is good electric-wise, the problem is with the actual stepper unit. Adjusting that screw that I mentioned in the original post I am able to make it either add credits properly, or decrease credits properly, but not both at the same time for whatever reason.

#6 6 years ago

There has to be more involved than just the one screw. Can you post a good close pic(s)?

#7 6 years ago

I have attached some photos.

The last two pictures are just showing the screw that I am adjusting.

The second photo is where the screw needs to be set for credits to decrease properly. But with this setting I usually get 2 credits per pulse. Right now I'm set to 3 credits for 25 cents and it usually gives 6 credits although the coil only pulses 3 times.

The first photo is where the screw has to be set so each pulse only gives a single credit. With this setting when a credit is to be decreased it goes between two numbers every time rather than stopping with the number perfectly center on the back glass.

You can see how everything sits a little different with each setting. Anything between these two settings results in both of them not working properly. Hopefully I'm just missing something easy here...

20171119_202916 (resized).jpg20171119_202916 (resized).jpg
20171119_203209 (resized).jpg20171119_203209 (resized).jpg
20171119_203219 (resized).jpg20171119_203219 (resized).jpg
20171119_202604 (resized).jpg20171119_202604 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

The lower sw. is normally closed and the upper normally open, right? This might be a stretch, but have you tried adjusting the 100's 9th pos. sw. ?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

The lower sw. is normally closed and the upper normally open, right? This might be a stretch, but have you tried adjusting the 100's 9th pos. sw. ?

Switches work fine. That 9th position switch turns on the 1000 light no problem. It's a mechanical problem, not electrical.

#10 6 years ago

The 0 credit switch is closed on everything except 0. The max credit switch is closed on everything except max credits.

#11 6 years ago

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I am about 99.9% sure this is a mechanical problem but for whatever reason I am not able to get it right. Maybe I am missing something else on my stepper unit? Maybe it's built with the wrong parts? I don't have any Williams games to compare to and never had any problems like this on a gottlieb...

#12 6 years ago

Hi Briehl
see the JPG - "encircled red" I marked an arm in my Replay-Unit --- when the Unit shall step down one step: This arm is moved clockwise --- a tooth on the arm blocks the gear / tooth on the wheel - the spring wound around the axis would like to turn the wheel counterclockwise all the way --- but the tooth on the arm hinders - the tooth on the arm allows only one step down. Do You also have this arm but angled away / wrong position ?

The "encircled green" --- hard to make a good picture --- on my Unit the "distance in-between the two metals 'framing my rosa/ pink dash' " are closer - they almost touch. Greetings Rolf

0replay-unit-work-01 (resized).JPG0replay-unit-work-01 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Briehl
see the JPG - "encircled red" I marked an arm in my Replay-Unit --- when the Unit shall step down one step: This arm is moved clockwise --- a tooth on the arm blocks the gear / tooth on the wheel - the spring wound around the axis would like to turn the wheel counterclockwise all the way --- but the tooth on the arm hinders - the tooth on the arm allows only one step down. Do You also have this arm but angled away / wrong position ?
The "encircled green" --- hard to make a good picture --- on my Unit the "distance in-between the two metals 'framing my rosa/ pink dash' " are closer - they almost touch. Greetings Rolf

!!!!! I think you may be correct! I will have to pull the game out when I get home later, but from comparing our photos it does seem like mine is installed in the wrong position! I reinstalled it the way I took it apart, but the game was never fully working before I started the restore so I had no way of telling if it was correct or not. I will post back later after I've tried it out. Fingers crossed...

#14 6 years ago

Well shoot. That wasn't it. I'm attaching another photo. Mine is a different style than the one in your photo... so strange.

20171121_172135 (resized).jpg20171121_172135 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Hi Briehl
hmm, no luck. Here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK are several Williams books - the 1966 says on page-13 http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1966/index.html#/13/zoomed the shown Replay Unit is first used in "Pot-O-Gold". Your pin is older - my Units are younger than Your Unit. (((And the 1964- and the 1962-book are not really helping)))
Thanks for the picture in post-14 - has on Your Unit - on the arm: Something broken-off ? I wonder what makes Your Unit to exactly step down ONE step ?

Not a fix - but some "work-around (?)" - You adjust the unit so it steps down correct - set the pin to free-play --- and live with the "faulty stepping-up" ? Greetings Rolf

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Briehl
hmm, no luck. Here http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=BOOK are several Williams books - the 1966 says on page-13 http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1966/index.html#/13/zoomed the shown Replay Unit is first used in "Pot-O-Gold". Your pin is older - my Units are younger than Your Unit. (((And the 1964- and the 1962-book are not really helping)))
Thanks for the picture in post-14 - has on Your Unit - on the arm: Something broken-off ? I wonder what makes Your Unit to exactly step down ONE step ?
Not a fix - but some "work-around (?)" - You adjust the unit so it steps down correct - set the pin to free-play --- and live with the "faulty stepping-up" ? Greetings Rolf

I'm about 99% sure that nothing is broken off on mine. It's just bizarre that it doesn't work right. From every picture I have seen, it seems to be assembled properly and not missing anything, but it just won't work right.

I could probably change it to free play, but what I'd really like to do is get it working properly so I am able to drop coins to play!

#17 6 years ago

Did you say it does decrement properly? Adjusting the limit screw on the step up coil is the key. The stroke of the step up plunger should be limited so that the ratchet lever goes back only one tooth on the toothed wheel. Then, it can only advance the credit reel one step. It sounds like you have done this already. If it works properly when manually activated, it has to be an electrical problem.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Did you say it does decrement properly? Adjusting the limit screw on the step up coil is the key. The stroke of the step up plunger should be limited so that the ratchet lever goes back only one tooth on the toothed wheel. Then, it can only advance the credit reel one step. It sounds like you have done this already. If it works properly when manually activated, it has to be an electrical problem.

I am able to adjust the set screw to make the credits step up properly, but when I do that, they don't step down properly.

If I set it so they step down properly, it will add more credits than necessary when I add them.

It works perfectly when I increment it by hand. The problem seems to be that the coil pulls the plunger in so fast that it basically throws the wheel around more that one tick on the sprocket.

I feel pretty dumb for not being able to figure this out to be honest. It seems like such a simple thing but for the life of me I can't get ir right!

#19 6 years ago

Could the torsion spring be wound too tightly? This could affect the decrementing, and you're compensating for it by misadjusting the step up plunger.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Could the torsion spring be wound too tightly? This could affect the decrementing, and you're compensating for it by misadjusting the step up plunger.

I've tried this as well. I've gone from having it not hooked up, to one rotation and up to having it really tight. Doesn't make a difference.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

works perfectly when I increment it by hand. The problem seems to be that the coil pulls the plunger in so fast that it basically throws the wheel around more that one tick on the sprocket

Is the game high-tapped by any chance? This is the type of problem that can occur when a game is needlessly high-tapped. I've seen a few similar incidents that were remedied by putting the transformer lead back to the normal tap.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is the game high-tapped by any chance? This is the type of problem that can occur when a game is needlessly high-tapped. I've seen a few similar incidents that were remedied by putting the transformer lead back to the normal tap.

Nope, checked that as well and it's still on normal tap...

#23 6 years ago

Hi Briehl
I hope for another pinsider to chime in --- an owner of a pin from the time of Your King Pin.

I studied my Replay-Unit --- jrpinball in post-17 said it "on the step-up side".

I do not understand how in Your pin the step-down can work --- (I am german speaking - I found a nice german site) I show a JPG from a german site - see the first JPG --- the stepping down on the Replay-Unit is like an old mechanical watch tic, tic, tic, tic. The balance on an mechanical watch is the "3" and I added a "4a". Look here https://www.uhren-wiki.net/index.php?title=Uhrwerk - scroll down to the "yellow picture" and on the far right You see an animation - NOT WORKING watch. See how "3" and "4a" swing / move.

See the second JPG - the plunger (4b) is pulled-in, 4c and 4d and 4e follow the plunger - the mechanically attached "4a" also moves (to the left) and then the "4e" lifts the "3" --- one "tic" can be made
and then the plunger (4b) releases and the rest returns - another "tic" is made.
The "stepping down on the Replay-Unit" actually is (half-stepped) tic - tic.

Thats why is was asking in post-15 about something broken-off --- I can not imagine how the stepping can be done without an "4a".

Again - I hope for another pinsider to chime in. Greetings Rolf

0mechanical-watch (resized).png0mechanical-watch (resized).png

0replay-unit-work-02 (resized).JPG0replay-unit-work-02 (resized).JPG

#24 6 years ago

I will have to take another picture, but I do have the part that would compare to 4a in your photo, it is just hidden. In my photos it is hidden under where the spring that tensions the sprocket is attached. I will try and get better photos today.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

The problem seems to be that the coil pulls the plunger in so fast that it basically throws the wheel around more that one tick on the sprocket.

Hmm. When the increment solenoid fires it pulls in its plunger which in turn rocks the advance arm back just past one tooth on the gear. The gear and the credit wheel however don't move until the solenoid relaxes. So it's the energy stored in the two horizontal springs across the top, and the switch leaves activated by the advance arm, that actually move the gear and credit wheel forward to advance one credit. By adjusting the brass screw you're effectively adjusting how far the advance arm travels, and how much energy is released from those springs to advance the credit wheel.

I don't think the brass screw is intended to adjust the decrement side of things so I'd adjust it to reliably advance one credit at a time both manually and electrically.

Quoted from jrpinball:

This might be worth revisiting. It looks like the torsion spring (the one wrapped around the credit wheel shaft) is the only way to adjust the decrement mechanism. Once the brass screw is adjusted so the incrementing is working properly, I'd put the torsion spring on the lowest tension and methodically increase the tension to see if you can find a spot where the decrement works reliably. It looks like the hook at the base of the torsion spring can be moved from one spoke of the gear to the next so you can make adjustments in 1/3 turn increments. The initial problem in this thread (decrement only steps half way) sounds to me like the torsion spring didn't have quite enough tension.

/Mark

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The initial problem in this thread (decrement only steps half way) sounds to me like the torsion spring didn't have quite enough tension.
/Mark

I will try and set the screw as you said and work the spring from there. Does anyone know how many times around these springs are supposed to be wound? I've tried pretty much every combination, except for unhooking from the sprocket and going 1/3 at a time. But I'll try some things out and snap some more photos tonight.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

I will try and set the screw as you said and work the spring from there. Does anyone know how many times around these springs are supposed to be wound? I've tried pretty much every combination, except for unhooking from the sprocket and going 1/3 at a time. But I'll try some things out and snap some more photos tonight.

I wind it only enough so that it will still decrement from the first stop to the lower limit stop. If it's a little lazy doing this, add one turn. Of course, everything needs to be cleaned and lubed properly first.

1 week later
#28 6 years ago

Sorry for taking so long to get back at this. I've been fairly busy but had a chance last night to play around with it.
I set the screw so points decreased properly and played with the spring. I tried every combination and it did not change the results. (Still added about double the credits)
I took a photo of how the unit operates when it's adding or subtracting credits as well as how it sits. It seems like the problem is the arm that adds credits either pulls back or pushes too far forward, causing it to move the ratchet 2 spots for every one pulse..

20171202_232148 (resized).jpg20171202_232148 (resized).jpg

20171202_232202 (resized).jpg20171202_232202 (resized).jpg

20171202_232231 (resized).jpg20171202_232231 (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

I don't know if this is causing your problem or not, but do you see the small lever just under the step up ratchet lever? I think you have the spring pulling it in the wrong direction. As seen in the photo directly above, the spring is pulling the lever to the right. I believe that spring should be mounted on the tab about midway under the longest spring. This would pull that small lever to the left, as seen in the above photo. Try doing that.
Also, looking at the first photo, it looks like you should back off the screw a little more so that the step up ratchet lever is just resting against the step on the ratchet wheel.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know if this is causing your problem or not, but do you see the small lever just under the step up ratchet lever? I think you have the spring pulling it in the wrong direction. As seen in the photo directly above, the spring is pulling the lever to the right. I believe that spring should be mounted on the tab about midway under the longest spring. This would pull that small lever to the left, as seen in the above photo. Try doing that.
Also, looking at the first photo, it looks like you should back off the screw a little more so that the step up ratchet lever is just resting against the step on the ratchet wheel.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, do you mean that arm that pivots under the sprocket? If I move the spring to the other side so it pulls that arm to the left, then when the credits are decreased it locks and cause's the unit to do a full reset down to 0.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, do you mean that arm that pivots under the sprocket? If I move the spring to the other side so it pulls that arm to the left, then when the credits are decreased it locks and cause's the unit to do a full reset down to 0.

Yeah, that's the one I mean. I'll have to double check one of mine, but if that's what's happening, I think you have one or more of the levers installed incorrectly.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, that's the one I mean. I'll have to double check one of mine, but if that's what's happening, I think you have one or more of the levers installed incorrectly.

If you could check one of yours that is similar, that would be amazing. I have yet to find a photo that is the same as mine. I have now spent more time trying to get this unit working properly than I have working on any other feature of this game!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

I set the screw so points decreased properly and played with the spring. ... It seems like the problem is the arm that adds credits either pulls back or pushes too far forward, causing it to move the ratchet 2 spots for every one pulse..

I think the screw adjusts the add/advance arm, not the subtract/decrement arm. Did you try the suggestion in reply #25? (Adjust the screw so add works, then adjust the torsion spring to get subtract working.)

Quoted from Briehl:

If you could check one of yours that is similar, that would be amazing. I have yet to find a photo that is the same as mine.

This is from the 1963 Williams parts catalog:

Williams 1963 catalog pg 015 (resized).jpgWilliams 1963 catalog pg 015 (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

Thanks for that. Mine seems to be put together properly, and I did try and adjust it like that... but I will give it another go!

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

If you could check one of yours that is similar, that would be amazing. I have yet to find a photo that is the same as mine. I have now spent more time trying to get this unit working properly than I have working on any other feature of this game!

Yeah, it looks like that small lever is in the correct position for a replay unit, since it's a step-up/step-down unit.
I don't think it really does anything for this type of unit.
The lever goes the other way for a unit that steps up, but resets to the starting position when the smaller coil is energized. Sorry for the confusion.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think the screw adjusts the add/advance arm, not the subtract/decrement arm. Did you try the suggestion in reply #25? (Adjust the screw so add works, then adjust the torsion spring to get subtract working.)

This is from the 1963 Williams parts catalog:

Thank you for posting this drawing.

#37 6 years ago

Is it possible that the coil stop is incorrect? Essentially allowing the actuator pull back too far allowing the arm to travel back two teeth on the gear instead of one. This would also hold true if the plunger was incorrect/too short.

Problem seems to be in the travel distance. Electrically this would only happen if the solenoid was firing more that once at a time.

#38 6 years ago

Hi Briehl +
I looked through my boxes of spare parts and found such an unit with "up to 47 Replays possible to add-up" - see the first JPG. Mine is gummed-up and a spring is missing - it is not working on its own - I manually must help. Chrimeg came up with an good idea - the Coil-Stop. In the second JPG You see both coil-stops taken-away - the "one in question" is the one in the lower right corner of the JPG. Surprise to me: They look identical - why different numbers in MarkG 's picture (in post-33) ? On my Unit both stops are 6mm (millimeter) thick. An inch is 25.4 mm - so 6 mm are a about 1/4 of an inch (0.2362). Greetings Rolf

0Replay-Unit-47-Positions (resized).JPG0Replay-Unit-47-Positions (resized).JPG

0Coil-Stops-on-47-Pos-Unit (resized).JPG0Coil-Stops-on-47-Pos-Unit (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Is it possible that the coil stop is incorrect? Essentially allowing the actuator pull back too far allowing the arm to travel back two teeth on the gear instead of one. This would also hold true if the plunger was incorrect/too short.
Problem seems to be in the travel distance. Electrically this would only happen if the solenoid was firing more that once at a time.

If you compare all of these pictures it actually looks like my plunger is way deeper into the coil. I'll have to confirm this in person, but it was my same thought before. I figured the only way to fix it would be to put a longer coil stop in or something like that.
I'll pop the coil off next time I'm out there and see what the coil stop looks like.

#40 6 years ago

To clarify what adjustments would affect the add/increment arm motion I zoomed in on a couple of the photos posted above:

KingPin3 (resized).jpgKingPin3 (resized).jpg

In the top half, the credit unit is at rest and the add/increment arm has advanced the bottom of the gear to the left. How far the add/increment arm travels to the left to advance the gear is limited by the brass adjustment screw on the other end of the arm.

In the bottom half, the advance credit solenoid has pulled the add/increment arm to the right and is about to release it to add/increment another credit. The limit of travel for the add/increment arm when traveling to the right is determined by the coil stop and the length of the plunger. Some coil stops have oval mounting holes that allow some adjustment but I believe that's usually to hold the solenoid tight and not to adjust the travel of the plunger.

While it's possible that the coil stop and/or plunger are not right, it seems more likely that the brass screw which apparently has been adjusted isn't in the right spot. When properly adjusted, the add/increment arm pushes the bottom of the gear just enough to the left so that the next time the solenoid fires and the arm moves to the right, it moves just past the next tooth in the gear, enough to barely engage it and push it to the left.

#41 6 years ago

I wonder in the disassembly and the reassembly did the coil stops get mixed up. Worth a try...plus the coil stop may be worn so even though the part numbers are correct, the specs are not be.

Remove both coil stops and measure them. If one is deeper that the other swap them around and see if is makes any difference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubles-with-my-williams-king-pin-replay-unit?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.