Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU.jpg
Transistor_driver_board_schem2.jpg
Transistor_driver_board.jpg
Transistor_driver_board_schem.jpg
#1 9 years ago

right 4 bank reset Q3 staying energized. I have put a new rottendog driver board, power supply, and cpu boards. Any ideas or what I should test to diagnose this issue, thanks

#2 9 years ago

Check to make sure there are not shorts in the harness?

#4 9 years ago

Yes replaced it. Was trying to figure out what in-coming voltage to look for but....Gottlieb...ugg

#5 9 years ago

Does it energize as soon as power is applied? If so,

In this order:

-check for shorted diode on that coil (just replace the diode if uncertain)
-check the resistance of that coil (checking for a bad coil)
-check for a floating ground in the back box (check every board) or, in the lower cabinet (white wires all common)
-reseat/tone out interconnect harness between driver board and MPU. Look for damaged pins with a bright light...

#6 9 years ago

No it doesn't energize right away.. When the MPU boots its resets the drop targets and right bank stays on. We have a set of new boards made by some off brand cant remember the name. But that would rule out the inter connect cable. Nothing is grounded to the ground plate in the backbox. Everything is isolated. Coil tests the same as others. Replaced the diode.

#7 9 years ago

Ok, that's the first problem. All boards should have a common ground run to each other and then all terminated to the metal back part of the back box.

#8 9 years ago

I tried that yesterday, i just used a jumper to ground everything and still the same problem remains. Its Q3 that is driving this target bank reset coil staying energized and i heard that Q3 is supposed to be for the coin lock-out coil? IDK, at this point i'm just going to jump the right target bank coil off of the center bank coil and call it a day. lol

#9 9 years ago

Next step is to check/upgrade the groups in the lower cabinet connecting to the transformer block.

Q3 you say...

looking it up now... nope...

RIGHT 4 BANK RESET IS CONTROLLED BY Q54, NOT Q3! In the manual, it is labeled as Solenoid#3, bit not transistor 3. It's on page 11 of the manual.

You need to check or just replace transistor Q54, it's pre driver transistor, and then check the IC that drives the pre-driver in that order of most likely culprit.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Next step is to check/upgrade the groups in the lower cabinet connecting to the transformer block.
Q3 you say...
looking it up now... nope...
RIGHT 4 BANK RESET IS CONTROLLED BY Q54, NOT Q3! In the manual, it is labeled as Solenoid#3, bit not transistor 3. It's on page 11 of the manual.
You need to check or just replace transistor Q54, it's pre driver transistor, and then check the IC that drives the pre-driver in that order of most likely culprit.

Snyper is correct. I think you had your wires crossed with Solenoid 3 not Q3.

Q54 is an MPS-U45 transistor. I'm not familiar with Rottendog products; on the Gottlieb driver board it's located on the far upper left corner. Doesn't look like it goes through a pre-drive transistor or a latch flip flop according to the schematics...

Is this supposed Rottendog board brand new?

That's why I'm always a fan of the original hardware and not the third party stuff.

#11 9 years ago

Its not a Rottendog its a SWEMMER MPU and I/O and it is the same exact layout as the factory boards. Right, Q54 is the (right target bank reset) but that feeds into another board (A116) and threw another transistor (Q3) then out to the playfield. When i turn the game on it goes threw its normal routine and then resets the two target banks and single target but then it keeps (Q54-Q3) energized every time.

Transistor_driver_board_schem.jpgTransistor_driver_board_schem.jpg
Transistor_driver_board.jpgTransistor_driver_board.jpg

#12 9 years ago

That all starts from the main driver board here...(Q54, Q55, Q56) They feed directly into (A116) into Q1, Q2, Q3. And that comes from the main control board.

Transistor_driver_board_schem2.jpgTransistor_driver_board_schem2.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Starts here...

MPU.jpgMPU.jpg
#14 9 years ago

I'm going to do the ground mod's by the transformer first tomorrow to see if there are any changes. Just watched one of Todd's video's and am going to do this.

#15 9 years ago

Right, that's why you need to replace Q54. You have only eliminated Q3 out of the equation, not Q54. If it's bad it, could act exactly like your game is acting.

I MUST say, that if a game does not "lock on" a solenoid as soon as power is applied, it's usually a physical problem and not an electrical problem. Are you certain that when you manually move the bank with the game OFF that it does not hang up in the closed position? That could be explained by something as simple as a dirty or worn out coil sleeve.

#16 9 years ago

Yea i check the movement and its smooth. And because its a brand new board i'm hesitant to replace any components on it before i send it back but today i will do the ground mod and see what happens.

#17 9 years ago

sorry coil does get energized as soon as the game switches on.

#18 9 years ago

did all the ground mods by the transformer to the chassis and got rid of the molex connectors but still it energizes as soon as i turn on the machine.. I still think and am leaning towards the Q54 transistor but for a brand new board i just might have the guy i bought it from on Ebay send me another one. I didn't bother with the grounds from the mpu to the i/o board because it uses a ribbon cable.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago

So i just repaired the old MPU put it back in and the game plays perfectly. I guess sometimes you can't assume that a brand new board will be bad. Next time i wont be to quick to out rule it...
Thank you all for your help and support. Pinside rules

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trouble-with-tx-sector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.