IMG_2258.jpg
IMG_2256 (resized).jpg
IMG_2255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2254 (resized).jpg
IMG_2253 (resized).jpg
IMG_2249 (resized).jpg
IMG_2237 (resized).jpg
IMG_2238 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

Reseat both ends of that display cable, with power off. Also please post a picture the the MPU surrounding the battery holder. i hope there is no battery damage.

#7 4 years ago

Can you flip both ends of the ribbon cable? So pin 1 of the ribbon cable will be at pin 26. This should rule out the cable for sure. Honestly, I would not mind seeing a video of this problem. Pinside only accepts links to videos from elsewhere. I do not know what you mean by "locks up at end of the programming". Do you mean once a game ends? Is the diagnostic LED still blinking when the display locks up?

What game ROM version is in it? It should show when you turn on the game. Can you go through the display test and let it run a couple of cycles?

What other games do you have?

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Pinside only accepts links to videos from elsewhere.

#19 3 years ago

It definitely is not a commonly seen issue. Seems like it has a problem resetting after exiting the adjustment menu. After turning on the game, can you add credits, start a game and play through a full game and it ends a game properly?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Jagdad:

The repairs appear to have replaced Q33 and Q29 transistors. Traces for both components lead to J11 connector pins on the board. This connector is located on the MPU in the lower left corner when the MPU is mounted in the game
Both appear to be in a single solenoid circuit.

Not related to the adjustment menu or adjustment failure.

It is between the battery, RAM and some supporting logic.

#28 3 years ago

I suggest having 6116 NVRAM installed if you are not able to solder. Removing batteries from this nice original board seems like a no brainer to me. ChrisHibler can install one for you.

I also suggest having the electrolytic capacitors replaced on the original power supply as their life has expired.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Jagdad:

I would do NVRAM if I thought it would help in any way.

It will help...new NVRAM now has 123 year retention rate. Board will be totally protected. No more batteries to throw away. Those coin cells are made in China and usually only last 2-3 years. They do leak at some point once they begin to fail. I can't see why anyone wants to ever risk batteries of any type anymore these days. This also will benefit anyone else having the game after you.

Good thing about sending it off for repair to install the NVRAM is that if it does not solve the problem, it will get looked at.

#32 3 years ago

Try this...Turn on the game with the door closed. Press this CPU reset switch in momentarily. Give it a few seconds for it reset. Now does it go into attract mode? Display went back to normal?
20200423_141531 (resized).jpg20200423_141531 (resized).jpg

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Jagdad:

1.Re-installed the replacement transformer. (I had removed it to test the original transformer) Neither transformer changes the display problem

It didn't change because the issue is not with the voltage to the display from the transformer. You should have measured the -100v and -98v at the power supply that ends up going to the display.

This is definitely an issue with the CPU board. It is quite possible the problem is with the original U25 RAM. Out of all the repairs I have done on System 11 games and issues reported with Adjustment failure, I never seen one act like yours. Step 1 would be to replace the U25 and then see what the result is.

1 week later
#36 3 years ago

That is great. Did you send the power supply with it to have the capacitors replaced, or you believe you can handle it? The electrolytic capacitors have only a certain lifespan.

Between that and NVRAM, your board set will be the most reliable it can be. Many less worries.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballmaniac40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trouble-with-earthshaker?tu=pinballmaniac40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.