• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pwdcougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hopefully I’ve found the right spot for this. First a little history. I’ve had this machine for 25 years and it has always worked perfectly. It really only gets used a few times per year and it is kept in my basement. It’s a typical basement in that a dehumidifier runs all summer long.

The problem it’s having is that the ball count on the display never resets and the game will not start. While looking it over at one point the ball count 1 lit up and the game worked. Each time the ball dropped it would send the ball over to the launcher but the ball count would stay at 1.

I have the schematics but it has been a long time since I’ve read one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

#5 5 years ago

Wow three great responses!

1) I’ve never noticed a credit count but will check the stepper unit.
2) I’ll have to figure out which is the start relay. When you hit the replay button on the coin door the large motor relay unit goes chunk chunk chunk like 6 times. Forgive me please I don’t know what all the parts are named.
3) Only once did the ball count stay at 1. On the back glass the numbers light up from behind.

I really need to read through the forum and figure out what the different parts are called.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

#11 5 years ago

I have the schematics and a booklet labeled Installation Procedures and Game Operation Instruction. The schematic is tough for me to follow. The booklet has a page for motor switches. It says motor 1a the second switch adds ball count unit and in parentheses it says at game over. Motor 2B the fourth switch reset the AX relay which is the reset completed relay.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Schematic or not, I think this ^^^^^^^ is the logical first place to check. My first thought when reading the OP post was that the game just needs to be played. Steppers are probably getting sluggish from age and infrequent use. I bet a good inspection of the ball count stepper action will reveal the problem.

Where do I find the ball count stepper? Is it one of the motor switches listed in the booklet?Hopefully tomorrow I can get downstairs and take a picture of the main board.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Paul

#14 5 years ago

Excellent thanks!

Watching the stepper I can see that it doesn’t advance when the reset is pushed. The stepper advances to the first position but then pops backwards to the no connection position. If I advance it to the first position, ball 1, it will continue to advance and play the remaining balls.

Progress!

Thanks

Paul

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

There are typically two latches that make the unit increment, or step, properly. Sometimes they can get sticky and cause the problem you are experiencing.

Thanks!

Can someone refer me to a good general video or write up for servicing these? The other night I was watching something that gave a good overview of em machines.

Paul

#17 5 years ago

Oops

Just realized that currieddog posted a link.

#18 5 years ago

This place is awesome. After watching the video in currieddogs link I cleaned the stepper unit. It turns out the arm in the back wasn’t moving and the grease had solidified. Luckily I read the part about the shoulder bolt having a lock nut! Everything got cleaned with alcohol. Didn’t have the Teflon grease referenced so I used synthetic wheel bearing grease on the arm and a thin coat of electric properly grease on the contacts after a light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper.

The machine works great now! I’ll take the time now to check all the bulbs and replace the cracked glass.

Thanks again for the help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Downingtown, PA
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pwdcougar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trouble-with-a-gottelieb-abra-ca-dabra?tu=pwdcougar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.