Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pwdcougar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

#1 1 year ago

Hopefully I’ve found the right spot for this. First a little history. I’ve had this machine for 25 years and it has always worked perfectly. It really only gets used a few times per year and it is kept in my basement. It’s a typical basement in that a dehumidifier runs all summer long.

The problem it’s having is that the ball count on the display never resets and the game will not start. While looking it over at one point the ball count 1 lit up and the game worked. Each time the ball dropped it would send the ball over to the launcher but the ball count would stay at 1.

I have the schematics but it has been a long time since I’ve read one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

#2 1 year ago

Do you have credits on the unit/is it free play? If so, check these circuits:

And if need be, read this about the BCU stepper unit, for cleaning and adjusting: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

Capture (resized).PNG

#3 1 year ago

Hi pwdcougar Welcome to pinside!

Does the replay button activate the Start (S) relay?

#4 1 year ago

If the ball count stays at 1 and won't advance, I would check that unit for free movement and operation. They do get mighty sticky over the years with the old grease that was used.

#5 1 year ago

Wow three great responses!

1) I’ve never noticed a credit count but will check the stepper unit.
2) I’ll have to figure out which is the start relay. When you hit the replay button on the coin door the large motor relay unit goes chunk chunk chunk like 6 times. Forgive me please I don’t know what all the parts are named.
3) Only once did the ball count stay at 1. On the back glass the numbers light up from behind.

I really need to read through the forum and figure out what the different parts are called.

Thanks for all the replies.

Paul

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from pwdcougar:

I really need to read through the forum and figure out what the different parts are called.

Clay's famous guide is a great read and intro to EM games: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Does the replay button activate the Start (S) relay?

Quoted from pwdcougar:

I’ll have to figure out which is the start relay. When you hit the replay button on the coin door the large motor relay unit goes chunk chunk chunk like 6 times.

If the Score Motor runs when you you press the Replay Button, then the Start relay is likely activating.

The manual should have the startup sequence. Do you have the manual?

#8 1 year ago

Sounds like he doesn't. First things first. Order a schematic and manual from Pinball Resource. Steve Young can help you identify the parts and will happily throw suggestions your way.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

If the ball count stays at 1 and won't advance, I would check that unit for free movement and operation. They do get mighty sticky over the years with the old grease that was used.

Schematic or not, I think this ^^^^^^^ is the logical first place to check. My first thought when reading the OP post was that the game just needs to be played. Steppers are probably getting sluggish from age and infrequent use. I bet a good inspection of the ball count stepper action will reveal the problem.

#10 1 year ago

D-Gottlileb, Love your tribute to M.C. Escher!

#11 1 year ago

I have the schematics and a booklet labeled Installation Procedures and Game Operation Instruction. The schematic is tough for me to follow. The booklet has a page for motor switches. It says motor 1a the second switch adds ball count unit and in parentheses it says at game over. Motor 2B the fourth switch reset the AX relay which is the reset completed relay.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Schematic or not, I think this ^^^^^^^ is the logical first place to check. My first thought when reading the OP post was that the game just needs to be played. Steppers are probably getting sluggish from age and infrequent use. I bet a good inspection of the ball count stepper action will reveal the problem.

Where do I find the ball count stepper? Is it one of the motor switches listed in the booklet?Hopefully tomorrow I can get downstairs and take a picture of the main board.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Paul

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from pwdcougar:

Where do I find the ball count stepper? Hopefully tomorrow I can get downstairs and take a picture of the main board.
Thanks again everyone for the help.
Paul

lower right in the head
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2&picno=9233

#14 1 year ago

Excellent thanks!

Watching the stepper I can see that it doesn’t advance when the reset is pushed. The stepper advances to the first position but then pops backwards to the no connection position. If I advance it to the first position, ball 1, it will continue to advance and play the remaining balls.

Progress!

Thanks

Paul

#15 1 year ago

There are typically two latches that make the unit increment, or step, properly. Sometimes they can get sticky and cause the problem you are experiencing.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

There are typically two latches that make the unit increment, or step, properly. Sometimes they can get sticky and cause the problem you are experiencing.

Thanks!

Can someone refer me to a good general video or write up for servicing these? The other night I was watching something that gave a good overview of em machines.

Paul

#17 1 year ago

Oops

Just realized that currieddog posted a link.

#18 1 year ago

This place is awesome. After watching the video in currieddogs link I cleaned the stepper unit. It turns out the arm in the back wasn’t moving and the grease had solidified. Luckily I read the part about the shoulder bolt having a lock nut! Everything got cleaned with alcohol. Didn’t have the Teflon grease referenced so I used synthetic wheel bearing grease on the arm and a thin coat of electric properly grease on the contacts after a light sanding with 600 grit sandpaper.

The machine works great now! I’ll take the time now to check all the bulbs and replace the cracked glass.

Thanks again for the help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 1.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 208.87
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 20.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside