(Topic ID: 281451)

Trouble in Germany???

By MustangPaul

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

713E044B-80FA-4338-9FCD-FDFFA3E8C850.jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I just got a PM from a customer of mine that he put a hold on his order because the German government just put a 25% punitive tariff on all pinball machines AND parts effective today. I pray he got some wrong info. All the 950 4300 xxxx, pinball and arcade machines and parts. Has anyone heard about this?

#2 3 years ago

Apparently true

#5 3 years ago

That’s it. I’m not moving to Germany!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just got a PM from a customer of mine that he put a hold on his order because the German government just put a 25% punitive tariff on all pinball machines AND parts effective today. I pray he got some wrong info. All the 950 4300 xxxx, pinball and arcade machines and parts. Has anyone heard about this?

Yeah, I saw his post and my first thought was that I felt bad for you. Apparently some retaliation on their part. They probably suddenly grew a pair once our new leadership was determined.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s it. I’m not moving to Germany!

You won’t have to?

#9 3 years ago

Is it Germany or EU in general? Our British friends are okay, right?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Yeah, I saw his post and my first thought was that I felt bad for you. Apparently some retaliation on their part. They probably suddenly grew a pair once our new leadership was determined.

Interesting point. Worth keeping an eye to see if others follow suit.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

That’s for every EU country.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

EU in general and currently it is also affecting us in the U.K.

Stern, JJP, CGC etc will be hit big time when their next titles are revealed/released. A Pro with this new tariff in the U.K. will be £8100 ($10,700) there’s no way at those prices orders won’t take a massive hit!

#13 3 years ago

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/eu-to-impose-tariffs-on-4-billion-of-us-products.html This is a feud that has been brewing since 2006 and has yet to be resolved

#14 3 years ago

well maybe it will help stern cut into its 5000 game back log

#15 3 years ago

Tariffs suck. Intended to shift demand to alternative product that are not being taxed. What are the options for a NIB pinball machine buyer other than another NIB pin? Some will delay their pin purchase and others will cancel altogether. I’d guess this slows down nib pinball imports to a drip and this completely shuts down used pins imports in EU. However, the tariff should not apply to used game sales within the EU boundaries. For that reason used games in EU are suddenly in higher demand, as used sales avoid the new tariff and sales tax too!

#16 3 years ago

Welcome to my world ... importing stuff to Norway is always taxed with a 25% sales tax.
    Doesn't matter where it comes from (US, EU, outside EU, Australia). Goes for both new and used stuff ... has been so for years and will stay so until we join the EU ☹☹☹

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Welcome to my world ... importing stuff to Norway is always taxed with a 25% sales tax.
    Doesn't matter where it comes from (US, EU, outside EU, Australia). Goes for both new and used stuff ... has been so for years and will stay so until we join the EU ☹☹☹

Yes, but you guys get massive salaries to make up for it in Norway
    Isn't that just the way your economy works?

Like when you buy beer in Norway, cost a fortune on the VAT but you pay little in the way of income tax?
    I could be wrong however........

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Yes, but you guys get massive salaries to make up for it in Norway
    Isn't that just the way your economy works?
    Like when you buy beer in Norway, cost a fortune on the VAT but you pay little in the way of income tax?
    I could be wrong however........

I pay about 40% in income tax.

Not sure how to compare salaries, but :

"Norway, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 35 725 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 33 604 a year." (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/norway/)

So we may be a bit better off, but not vastly so ?

But hey, I could always choose not to buy pinballs ...

#19 3 years ago

We must save the Brandenburger Tor!

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Not so much they grew a pair as we lost a pair.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

"Norway, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 35 725 a year, higher than the OECD average of USD 33 604 a year." (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/norway/)

That is an interesting website, I bookmarked it. Regions are pretty big, though. For instance, Illinois is a region but living in Chicago is way different that living downstate. Guessing it is the same between living in Oslo or Trøndelag.

Also, needs to add a category for how much public pinball in available in the region

#22 3 years ago

So if I bought a pin and sold it to someone in Germany, would the tariff apply?

#23 3 years ago

Yeah if the pin was manufactured in the US.

#24 3 years ago

this is on top of Vat tax so in UK its 25% Tarrif plus 20% vat tax right now

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypinball:

this is on top of Vat tax so in UK its 25% Tarrif plus 20% vat tax right now

We just have to wait for january and the Brexit ... than the UK pinballdealers will have huge sellerie to Europe.

The joke is, the funny man with the red hair began this story with punitive tariff on steel and metall from EU.
    There is nothing we really need to import from the USA ... so they looked and found out: Whiskey, peanutbutter and pinballmachines. Thats it.
    When most americans do not collect steel beams in there garage, the industie is involved. In Europe we do collect pinballmachines, the industrie is not involved but a big community of pinheads with teir hobbystuff. That sucks ... they play a round of "trade wars" and a hobby scene is hit.
    Hopefully the new elected president fom the US of A stops that bullshit and find other ways to strengthen the US economy but not with punitive tariffs.

Lucky people in china .. all punitive tariffs are payed by there goverment as far as I know .. okay, not a real reason to move to China

Just my 5 cent.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Just my 5 cent.

Here in America our opinions are only worth 2 cents.
    I guess the difference there must be from various tariffs.

#27 3 years ago

Has Hitler heard about this ? I think a funny video is in order ! Someone get on that !

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

But hey, I could always choose not to buy pinballs ...

That's just crazy talk.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Here in America our opinions are only worth 2 cents.
    I guess the difference there must be from various tariffs.

Nope .. you have US cents, we have EURO cents ... but the idea is nice

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

What are you talking about?
    (MY WORLD) bullshit.
    Do you think the rest of europe dont have sales tax?
    Well for pinball sweden will now have 25% sales tax and then an additional pay merkel/macron 25%

Well atleast from now on, i can buy my games in norway and transport them over the border to sweden, since there is no toll for pins.
    Just have to wait for the corona border restrictions to be over.
    Sadly there is no jjp distro in norway, but thoose wanting stern games should be ok.

#31 3 years ago

Import taxes was the reason Stern set up manufacturing in Brazil. They were tasked to assemble games for sale throughout South America and this allows them to bypass the import duties which otherwise have crippled 100% of nib purchases. If this tax lasts in EU, Stern would do something similar there. I have never heard how many games the Brazil factory was making nor if they supply SA.

Ironically, if this tax went on for awhile and looked like it was going to become permanent, used games would suddenly become worth more. Overnight they’d cost $1k more because of replacement cost which would now be $1k-$2k higher due to the new import tax. The increase would be free money to individual sellers (I think) and it would be caused entirely by enacting an artificial barrier. For now the tax seems temporary and so it will fester for awhile and it is expected to shut down NIB purchases.

713E044B-80FA-4338-9FCD-FDFFA3E8C850.jpeg713E044B-80FA-4338-9FCD-FDFFA3E8C850.jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trouble-in-germany?hl=briks-707 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.