• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sea Shore O Relay Score Control Schematic (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to pinside but not pinball and now retired I'm rediscovering my love for the hobby. I'm first now setting up a beautiful 1964 Gottlieb Sea Shore that I bought 18 years ago.

I replaced the frayed power cord with a polarized 3 prong polarized power cord and installed a power switch disconnecting the 115V R Hold Relay and all the cheat switches according to Clay's repair manual.

The playfield is not connected since I wanted to first work on the cabinet and backbox.

When I turn on the power switch the lights come on but simultaneously the O Relay (1st player score control relay) engages and locks on and buzzes. I turned machine off and advanced the Balls Played Stepper unit by one position since the schematic shows the P Relay (2nd player score control relay) is now linked and sure enough the O Relay doesn't engage. I also manually put some points on the first player score reel and then pressed the red start button on the coin door and the score motor turned and the score reel reset.

Any idea why just turning the power switch on, the O Relay will pull in and lock on? It engages and locks on even before I pressed the start button. Any help and ideas appreciated. I'm attaching part of the schematic with the start up sequence and you'll see the O relay at the top of the page.

Looking forward to being active on the forum.

Sea Shore O Relay Score Control Schematic (resized).jpgSea Shore O Relay Score Control Schematic (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Welcome to pinside!

I’m sure others with more expertise will chime in, but my guess(!) is that bypassing the hold relay has something to do with this. During the normal startup routine (i.e., without the hold relay engaged already), I assume that power would get distributed through the transformer after other relays engage (w,e,etc,) and other parts of the routine are completed. I assume that the sb MB switch prevents the o relay from engaging until it should during a normal start up routine. Again, this is just my best guess based on my interpretation of the schematic and description of the issue, but it could be tested by reconfiguring the hold relay to work as it originally worked.

Best of luck!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipsteen:

When I turn on the power switch the lights come on but simultaneously the O Relay (1st player score control relay) engages and locks on

Quoted from Flipsteen:

Any idea why just turning the power switch on, the O Relay will pull in and lock on?

This could be normal. For more, see my private message to you.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

This could be normal. For more, see my private message to you.

Sharing a point of view in the forum can be helpful for those who have similar problems in the future.

OP, if you get a resolution via PM make sure to update the thread with what you found out.

#5 3 years ago

Try replacing that resistor.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks TFduda for welcome. To curriedog you recommend "replacing that resistor" Sorry, not sure which resistor you mean?

I thought it might be helpful to be more specific with what I'm trying to achieve. (besides getting the machine to work so I can play it! Ha.)

1. Replace the power cord with a new 3 prong power cord
2. Install a power switch since from a safety point of view I was not comfortable with high voltage running through the coin door by just being plugged into the wall. Moreover, there's no indication that power is running through the machine since Lights don't come on until you press the reset button on the coin door.
3. Since I was making the above modifications I thought it was a good idea to follow the recommedation of Clay's repair guide and Pinwiki to disable the 115V Hold Relay and the cheat switches since it's HUO.

Here's what I did:
1. I connected the new white wire on the power cord to the transformer and the black wire to the fuse.
2. I disconnected the existing wh-gr wire on the downstream side of the fuse and connected a new wire to run down to one side of the new power switch. The now disconnected wh-gr wire was connected to the anticheat switches and bounce switch so they're now out of the picture.
3. I unsoldered the connection to the relay coil of the 115V R Hold Relay. The Hold Relay has one make/break switch with orange wire connected to the top blade and black and red wires connected to middle and bottom blade. I then twisted together the orange wire, black wire, and red wire to a new wire that I ran to the other side of the power switch. I see the orange wire is also on the reset button. I didn't solder anything until I see it all works like I hope.

When I turn on the new power switch the lights come on but simultaneously the O Relay (1st player score control relay) engages and locks on and buzzes. I turned machine off and advanced the Balls Played Stepper unit by one position since the schematic shows the P Relay (2nd player score control relay) is now linked and sure enough the O Relay doesn't engage. I also manually put some points on the first player score reel and then pressed the red start button on the coin door and the score motor turned and the score reel reset.

So I'm getting power, lights and score motor turning with new connections. That seems to work but what did I screw up?

Any idea why just turning the power switch on, the O Relay will pull in and lock on? It engages and locks on even before I pressed the start button. Any help and ideas appreciated. I'm attaching part of the schematic with the start up sequence and you'll see the O relay at the top of the page.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Flipsteen:

To curriedog you recommend "replacing that resistor" Sorry, not sure which resistor you mean?

The one that leads into 'O'

You may have to go to eBay to find one.

#8 3 years ago

It looks like it's all fixed. It appears that it's normal for the O scoring control relay to engage just turning on the power. When I advanced the Ball stepper unit to the P scoring control relay it then engaged at power. The P relay is not buzzing like the O relay.

So I took the O relay apart and saw black electrical tape had been placed between the coil and the armature indicating this has been a problem. But more importantly when I checked the switch stack I noticed that a NC switch was open. I adjusted the blade and all the other switches were correct, this particular stack has 3 make/break 1 NO and 2 NC.

I put the playfield back in and I'm now testing all the playfield switches for correct scoring and lights. Bells are dinging and scores are registering so I'm happy but I'm sure I'll be back once I go through all the switches.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in and helping me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trouble-at-the-sea-shore-em?hl=carlo45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.