Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DB92B123-889F-4D1E-94C6-1B788257A1DB (resized).jpeg
resistors (resized).jpg
D8EB218A-E1AB-408E-B940-A3808E7D6987 (resized).jpeg
BEA399E0-5FA0-40FF-8ECF-F31E5662886E (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hey folks and pin-tech geniuses.
I'll post my early issue here and add pics with my phone after.

Story - I picked up a non-working Scorpion last week, previous owner said blowing solenoid fuse - SB 3.5A. (there was a 4 SB in there)
I figured, ok, lets chase that trouble down as see where it goes. When I was at his place, I flipped the power on, the GI came on and pretty much that was it. I turned it off and took it apart.

I came home, took PF out, started on that cleaning and shop out. BUT today I tossed the head back on, clipped the wire harnesses together- sans playfield and flipped the power on.

The displays, GI in head and looked like it fired up. I went through a few tests, illumination and displays tests to make sure it was good to go.
After a bit, I noticed that dusty "heat odor" and i flipped the power off. I could tell these big resistors were quite hot! Hot like the solder was soft where the leads hit the board. So, that's where I sit now.

Don't quite know where to continue here as I don't see what I should chase first. Having no playfield in? Did it need that? could that be why its hot as balls. I checked the rest of the fuses to make sure they weren't incorrect amperage
BEA399E0-5FA0-40FF-8ECF-F31E5662886E (resized).jpegBEA399E0-5FA0-40FF-8ECF-F31E5662886E (resized).jpegD8EB218A-E1AB-408E-B940-A3808E7D6987 (resized).jpegD8EB218A-E1AB-408E-B940-A3808E7D6987 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Those resistors just simply run hot. Look either in the vid1900 thread or pinwiki on options to replace - you can replace transistors with mosfets and jumpers, or increase the size from 2 or 3 watt to 5 watt on those.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Those resistors just simply run hot. Look either in the vid1900 thread or pinwiki on options to replace - you can replace transistors with mosfets and jumpers, or increase the size from 2 or 3 watt to 5 watt on those.

"melt the solder" hot? wow

I don't mind trying to find out what to do. I can do a bit of soldering

#4 3 years ago

HOLY SHIT - found it exactly, low, low down the page on pinwiki, THX

this pin had "some" bulletproofing done by Devron in Saskatoon, too bad he didn't get to this.

So, the pin was on, with only the head on, and no playfield plugged in, and this is how hot these got. FYI. unreal.

resistors (resized).jpgresistors (resized).jpg

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Any other items I should be thinking about with these boards while i'm ordering transitors?

Already has off site battery holder and some upgraded rectifiers I think also

#6 3 years ago

How’s the 40 pin connector? How about the rest of them. May also want to think about protecting the machine from failing bridges - if I remember right, they are not fused.

#7 3 years ago

When the CPU locks up the blanking circuit is supposed to trip and turn off the solenoids and lamps. This circuit is far from fool proof and a crashed CPU can leave the blanking high and solenoids and lamps locked on. When the lamp column drivers lock on the 27R resistors on the driver board will get smoking hot to the point they burn open circuit or even desolder themselves off the board. The run hot normally, but if they literally smoking hot, it probable have a locked on column driver.

The blown solenoid fuse is typical too. Blanking fails to detect a locked up CPU, solenoids lock on, sol fuse blows, lamp drivers lock on, 27 ohm resistors burn. Fix the locked up CPU before diving down lamp column issues.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

When the CPU locks up the blanking circuit is supposed to trip and turn off the solenoids and lamps. This circuit is far from fool proof and a crashed CPU can leave the blanking high and solenoids and lamps locked on. When the lamp column drivers lock on the 27R resistors on the driver board will get smoking hot to the point they burn open circuit or even desolder themselves off the board. The run hot normally, but if they literally smoking hot, it probable have a locked on column driver.
The blown solenoid fuse is typical too. Blanking fails to detect a locked up CPU, solenoids lock on, sol fuse blows, lamp drivers lock on, 27 ohm resistors burn. Fix the locked up CPU before diving down lamp column issues.

Ok, wowza, I'm pretty decent, but what's the locked up CPU? Blanking?

I just got it fired up enough that I was able do a solenoid test, it hit every coil, sound, all lamps on.

I bought enought TIP125's to do the 8 in the run an replace the hot ass resistors with 10K ones also.

I think my 40 pin connector is newer, it looks newer. This is my first SYS 6 so be easy on me with slang and acronyms on them please

#9 3 years ago

Here’s what I’ve got going on

#10 3 years ago

Here’s my current issue.
Game seems to play great, down to a display issue.

#11 3 years ago

I’ve read the wiki about displays. Damn that’s hard to understand, I read it and my brain hardly comprehends it

#12 3 years ago

Kind of looks like a segment decoder issue to me. left side of the display schematic or BCD connector on MPU. It goes PIA -> encoded data out J5 -> into Master Display -> 4543 decode segments. Make sure MPU J5 does not have any broken solder joints.

OR maybe is digits getting enabled at the wrong time showing junk data?

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Kind of looks like a segment decoder issue to me. left side of the display schematic or BCD connector on MPU. It goes PIA -> encoded data out J5 -> into Master Display -> 4543 decode segments. Make sure MPU J5 does not have any broken solder joints.
OR maybe is digits getting enabled at the wrong time showing junk data?

Thx, I'll take it out and give it an inspection. At least I have a starting point. Maybe an old weakened solder point. If I have to reheat and reflow i'll tackle that job!

#14 3 years ago

WOW, ordered transistors and resistors from digikey

Already arrived, can do to that board preventative maintenance .

DB92B123-889F-4D1E-94C6-1B788257A1DB (resized).jpegDB92B123-889F-4D1E-94C6-1B788257A1DB (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/troubeshooting-a-scorpion-williams-sys-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.