image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Okay.. Everything works except the lights on the pop bumpers. Wires seem to be okay, although on one of the bumpers (there are three) there seems to be only one wire soldered (under the playing field) is this normal? It seems to me I'd see a stray wire if that was the problem, I'd find a stray wire but there is none. Do they take different bulbs?
Thanks all...
Anybody familiar with this game? Played it non-stop in 1973

#2 7 years ago

You need to check/clean/adjust the "On Bumper Relay", located on the playfield board right underneath the shooter lane. With playfield up, hit the "on bumper target" and see if this relay activates. If it does, then it probably is just adjusting the "b" switch on this relay.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from captainv:

Wires seem to be okay, although on one of the bumpers (there are three) there seems to be only one wire soldered (under the playing field) is this normal? It seems to me I'd see a stray wire if that was the problem,

The light socket holder has two ends. Wires should be soldered to one end (the hot), and the other end is is soldered to the neutral stapled wire attached to the playfield.

#4 7 years ago

Thank you! I'm new at this so sorry for the basic questions..

#5 7 years ago

No apologies necessary. Gives me a chance to pull out my manual and schematic to see if I can find the problem.
Welcome, a lot of good information and people here to help.

Do you have a manual and schematic? If not, you can get one from the Pinball Resource (PBR). Just make sure you let Steve know your new to EM's, he will go easier on you.

#6 7 years ago

Wow..Your Gulfstream looks great.. Ok..it seems to be the "B" switch. I'm just not sure what to do with it. When closed all the bumper lights come on..Does this mean the contacts are too far apart?
Thanks again

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

With playfield up, hit the "on bumper target" and see if this relay activates. If it does, then it probably is just adjusting the "b" switch on this relay.

Ok, so you when tested this, did the relay activate? Your response was not clear.

#8 7 years ago

No movement at all. I pushed it together for a moment (probably shouldn't have, I know) and all bumpers lit up

#9 7 years ago

Now that I just watched your (or a video not sure if it's yours).. It seems they light up only when you hit the target..Duhhhhh..The targets say "on bumpers" ugh

#10 7 years ago

So your all good. Fixed? Glad to hear. In my opinion, the best way to play it is on 3 ball. Start out with 5 to get used to it, then switch to 3. If you play 5 ball AAB, your games could go on endlessly when you start to get use to the game play. GS/TF is a great game. Definitely a keeper.
I did a full restoration on my GS. Plays incredibly fast. Sans the backglass. I need to get a repro.

#11 7 years ago

Wow that's a restore! Did you do it all yourself? The playfield is amazing. I beat this game in 1973 and 3 ball AAB and fast is the way to go. Me and my 12 year old friends were so impressed in 1973 at how much power this game had..and the speed, wow. Spent many after school days on this one. Did you repaint and fill spots on the playfield? I won't let this one go either.. Most wear is on the "tic tac to" and the kick out area

#12 7 years ago

Yes, I did the restoration myself. This machine was the death of me. I got it for cheap and had to fully restore it. The previous owner had a cat box underneath the machine. Took me about 2 months just to get the smell out. The touch ups on the tic tac and the rest of the playfield were a B. I had to rebuild the neck, painted the inside, re-painted the whole backbox and re-painted the apron & side rails. The last were massively sun faded. I only touched up the outside cabinet.

Before

#13 7 years ago
#14 7 years ago

After

#15 7 years ago

Looks like I have a lot of hard work to do...You were able to match the paint perfectly. What did you do about the wear from the kick out holes?

tictac (resized).jpgtictac (resized).jpg

unnamed (resized).jpgunnamed (resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Matching up the paint was extremely difficult on this machine. A lot of trial and error mixing and blending. The green and violet were the hardest. It took about 10+ tries until I was satisfied with the middle of the playfield. As you can see my kick outs were worse than yours. I hand painted the "when lit" in. After it was all done and I was satisfied, I put Mylar over the house shape in the center of the playfield and Mylar over the triangle shape kick outs. I generally hate to use Mylar, but the center playfield of this machine takes a beating.

All in all, I spent about 300 hours restoring this GS. About 200 more than usual. If you have the time and patience, it can be done, but since this may be your first machine, just clean it up really good and enjoy.

#17 7 years ago

Hey there,
The condition of your tic tac (before restoration).. Does that indicate there was no clear coat on it? Mine looks the same I'm considering restoring it completely
- How much trouble can I get in if I remove everything from the playfield? I was going to remove it from the machine. It looks like it takes patience, not necessarily expertise. Any tips?
- How did you restore the coin box? That really stands out
Thanks..I think this is going to be fun. Hope I don't regret it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tropic-fungulfstream-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.