Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by zanigreg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 months ago

I am new to Pinside. Appreciate any help. I have a Williams Tropic Fun game that is not working. The coin drop section is missing. Some wires are loose and not soldered. if I turn on the toggle switch, touch the left flipper the lights all come on. If I manually move the reset relay, the game will start. I am doing this without the top glass. I can manually depress the contacts and the game seems to work, although there is no ball count.

Is there a way I can install a switch so that I can start the game without using the coin drop mechanism.

I do have the instruction manual but no electric schematic. I also have little experience in tackling a pin ball machine.

Would love help on where to start.

thanks

Greg

#2 7 months ago

Hi Gregg welcome to pinside,so your game is missing a coin door?
Those wires are most likely be connected to the coin door switches
Follow schematics of the color of wires that go to that switch.Yes you can add a switch without coin door but if I were you I would install a coin door it makes the pin look much better

#3 7 months ago

You're really going to want a schematic, some diagnostics are near impossible without it.

I can't tell if your game has a credit unit or relay off hand. Some of these add a ball versions are configured to only start games on coin drop, others can remember that you have a credit, and that will determine how you set it on free play. Is there a plastic circle on the left of the apron with a light under it? Is there a credit wheel in the backbox?

If you're still having issues next week, I'll be in the area and might be able to stop by, although again, without the schematics it might be useless

#4 7 months ago

Thanks Pinmik,e and zacaj for your replies.

To zacaj, i have the instruction manual which lists the relay switches and coil chart. It does list a credit relay and a ball index relay. There is a set of lights that take you up to ten balls. Did not see a credit wheel in the back box but not sure what I am looking for.

If you are in the Albany, NY area and are interested in an educational session, would love to host. Will provide refreshments, cash, etc.

I have seen some postings on the wiring diagram for the Tropic Fun and will try to find that post and see if the diagram is available.

Thanks for your imput.

To Pinmike

I will try to follow the wires to the coin door switches and keep you posted. Thanks for your suggestions

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from zanigreg:

Thanks Pinmik,e and zacaj for your replies.
To zacaj, i have the instruction manual which lists the relay switches and coil chart. It does list a credit relay and a ball index relay. There is a set of lights that take you up to ten balls. Did not see a credit wheel in the back box but not sure what I am looking for.
If you are in the Albany, NY area and are interested in an educational session, would love to host. Will provide refreshments, cash, etc.
I have seen some postings on the wiring diagram for the Tropic Fun and will try to find that post and see if the diagram is available.
Thanks for your imput.
To Pinmike
I will try to follow the wires to the coin door switches and keep you posted. Thanks for your suggestions

Pinball resource should have copies of the schematics you can buy.

If there's a credit relay, then I'd think that activating that by hand and then pressing start button would work to bypass coin door.

#6 7 months ago

Just ordered the schematic from Pinball Resource. Thanks for the recommendation. They were very helpful.

#7 7 months ago

If there's a credit relay, then one switch on that is probably the 'hold' switch, per the relay list in the manual? If you bend that so it's always shut, or alligator clip it, etc, then that should put the game on free play.

#8 7 months ago

Tripping the coin relay switch allowed a play.

I tripped the coin relay, it set the balls left to 1 and actually worked. when ball went through, it lit game over. I wasn't able to trigger the ball reset relay to increase the number of balls to 5. Once the credit relay was tripped, the ball reset stayed in the closed position.

Thoughts?

#9 7 months ago

Not sure what the ball reset relay does in this game, haven't seen it on most williams I've owned.

Hitting the coin relay is equivilant to dropping a coin pretty much, so that makes sense. If you have the credit relay activated and hit start button, it should also trip the coin relay I think.

1 month later
#10 6 months ago

Have been working on this machine after getting some good help from zacaj. I rebuilt the flippers, the chimes, one broken pop bunker and one roll over pin. I ran into trouble when trying to adjust the 100,000 counter. It wouldn't go to 100.000 until 200,000 was reached. I cleaned all the contacts, cleaned the board with metal polish and tried to adjust the start location. I loosened up the shaft nut and found that the shaft has a rectangular washer so you can't move it that way. When I put it back, I now am getting a tilt indicator. There is no tile pendulum. If i manually move the coin reset relay, it jumps to a 10 ball play and you can play. When the game is over, it won't restart. The tilt indicator is on.
any help??

#11 6 months ago

It's going to be hard to diagnose this without the schematic. Would it be possible to take a good picture of it, or get it scanned somewhere?

Besides the tilt pendulum, there is also a few 'slam' switches (basically a regular switch, but one blade has a small weight attached to it. Usually there's one on the coin door, and one under the playfield. It could be that one is stuck.

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from zanigreg:

Have been working on this machine after getting some good help from zacaj. I rebuilt the flippers, the chimes, one broken pop bunker and one roll over pin. I ran into trouble when trying to adjust the 100,000 counter. It wouldn't go to 100.000 until 200,000 was reached. I cleaned all the contacts, cleaned the board with metal polish and tried to adjust the start location. I loosened up the shaft nut and found that the shaft has a rectangular washer so you can't move it that way. When I put it back, I now am getting a tilt indicator. There is no tile pendulum. If i manually move the coin reset relay, it jumps to a 10 ball play and you can play. When the game is over, it won't restart. The tilt indicator is on.
any help??

the tilt relay is stuck on. Hard to tell why, but you can check that relay for a dirty or misaligned switch. Do a visual inspection. May be a wire that came off and needs to be soldered back on.

#13 6 months ago

Some of these single player games didn't have a tilt relay. I believe this might be one of those models. A tilt would just trigger the Game Over relay. So this may be stuck in a Game Over state.

If you don't see a Tilt Relay and your are sure that none of your Tilt switches are the problem, I would check out that Game Over relay and make sure it is tripping and latching when the game is reset, and the switches on the Game Over relay are gapped correctly.

#14 6 months ago

Thanks for those suggestions. Will look for the tilt relay and the game over relay and will see about getting the schematic scanned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 10.00
$ 169.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 109.99
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 5,999.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 18.95
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside