(Topic ID: 280796)

Trophies? What is this counter sticker trying to tell me?

By undrdog

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by I_P_D_B
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

483FA913-CAF2-4759-8EA2-A237104B4A53 (resized).jpeg
E7444C2B-39C3-434E-A322-25530A21E08E (resized).jpeg
7DA00AA4-F047-40F6-A9C5-6883CC9038FA (resized).jpeg
7266F7EE-CC0F-40E0-BCA0-9385B39D73B6 (resized).jpeg
66EE0DE9-EB45-4556-9378-0938E65C55ED (resized).jpeg

#1 11 months ago

This counter is from the door of a Wms Hi-Hand.

The machine has no match feature. Trophies?

Can someone please explain?

I have three of these machines. Two have counters. The other counter is different and doesn’t have this sticker.

Neither counter was wired. Do they burn up? Or maybe the operator didn’t want to count?

66EE0DE9-EB45-4556-9378-0938E65C55ED (resized).jpeg7266F7EE-CC0F-40E0-BCA0-9385B39D73B6 (resized).jpeg
#2 11 months ago

the counters are standard 50V (probably) parts, so the one with the sticker originally was used in a different game and the label is meaningless for high hand.

a counter for number of coins inserted make sense. If the game doesn't award replays, dunno what the other counter would be used for.

are they connected in the other games?

#3 11 months ago

No. Neither counter was wired. The wires are right there, sealed off with black tape.

#4 11 months ago

50v... to test the counters to see if they work, could I plug in the transformer and make brief contact with the counter? Or is it not that simple?

I haven’t plugged in these machines yet— still trying to get into the heads without destroying them. The transformers are in the heads.

#5 11 months ago

Since these are Williams games, it might only be 30V. You could tap off of any nearby 30/50V source if you wanted to. There probably isn't a lockout coil on the coin acceptor (Heath chute or coin slide?).

It was obviously connected at one time (with lamp cord) or the counter wouldn't be that high. From the factory, those counters had a few numbers on them as tests, but not thousands.

I would wait to test until you had access to the rest of the internals. Are the heads locked on the side trim or on the back door?

#6 11 months ago

The locks are on the back of the heads. Took all three to a locksmith who is picking them as I wait. He already has one done.

The transformers are in the heads.

#7 11 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Took all three to a locksmith who is picking them as I wait. He already has one done.

Neat! Looking forward to seeing the internals, though I'm guessing the switches just light up the cards and there are no relays, motors (aside from the shuffle), or steppers. Probably the only coils are the counters!

All a guess, of course.

#8 11 months ago

One out of three machines has the counter in the head instead of on the coin door. One had a counter on the door that went to a different machine, discussed above. The third is on the door, matches the counter to the one in the head.

In order to change the backglass bulbs, you have to unfasten a little nut to lean the glass board back. Seems like they'd have made it easier, but then again you have to unscrew six screws to get the playfield up, too. Still haven't had a chance to look at the back of the glasses to see any hidden messages like "tilt" or show credits.

There are relays. One is labeled either coin relay or lock relay, I forget. No steppers. I'll dust it off and take pictures when I can. Work has me real busy.

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

There are relays. One is labeled either coin relay or lock relay, I forget. No steppers. I'll dust it off and take pictures when I can. Work has me real busy.

Oh yeah, I guess you'd need a relay to start the shutter motor. Lock relay would enable the circuit to the lamps.

Gottlieb wedgeheads are like that as well with regard to changing lamps. It's fine, but can be troublesome to access some lamps without removing the backglass.

No worries on the timing, I've got a similar problem with work.

#10 11 months ago

the only internal picture of the game I saw is on ipdb.org. Don't get too hopeful about what's in the head, tho with luck the paper tag will tell you the voltages on the fuses

you deal with head lamps from the back. There's a metal bar at the top of the head you push up to clear the insert, then swing the insert down - it's hinged at the bottom. What you found was the way to remove the glass.

dunno what a locksmith charges, but usually ya just drill out the locks and replace them. There's a few different lengths of lock bodies, but they all cost around $5 and come with everything needed. Pinball resource also sells locks keyed alike if you have multiple locks you want all the same key.

I misread your initial post ... thought each game had 2 meters in it. One meter each game wired with zip cord means someone added all of them. The factory didn't use zip cord

#11 11 months ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

the only internal picture of the game I saw is on ipdb.org.

Wow, just looked - what a dream! I bet you can carry all three stacked like pizza boxes.

I think he was saying the very same thing about flipping the insert down, unless I totally misread. That's what I was referring to (changing lamps from the back).

Yeah, does make me wonder what they were tracking with the second meter, and how they incremented it. When I was referring to the factory, I meant the factory that made the counters for Williams.

#12 11 months ago

Here's inside the box. The counter on this head is factory. The picture with the lamp cord was from the coin door of another machine. I guess the operator took it out of the back and put it on the coin door.

No bells! I thought there would be a bell.

IPDB.org needs to be corrected. They are conflating Hi-Hand with some battery operated toy called High Hand.

483FA913-CAF2-4759-8EA2-A237104B4A53 (resized).jpeg7DA00AA4-F047-40F6-A9C5-6883CC9038FA (resized).jpegE7444C2B-39C3-434E-A322-25530A21E08E (resized).jpeg

3 months later
#13 8 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

IPDB.org needs to be corrected. They are conflating Hi-Hand with some battery operated toy called High Hand.

What are you talking about? What's in our Williams Hi-Hand listing that is incorrect?

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1179

Thanks.

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from I_P_D_B:

What are you talking about? What's in our Williams Hi-Hand listing that is incorrect?
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1179
Thanks.

I assume the confusion is when you click the Hi-Hand link in the search results, more stuff appears on the page than just Hi-Hand. If you don't realize the horizontal line ends the entry, then it could appear that the High Hand info is part of Hi-Hand

#15 8 months ago

I_P_D_B
My mistake. I was reading the whole screen as one game. Newbie error.

#16 8 months ago

While I have your attention... how many of these do we think exist in the wild? I have three, from which I’m cobbling together one.

The backglass colors on each are different. The backglass layout doesn’t change. The cabinet trim on each is different. Want pictures?

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

i_p_d_b
My mistake. I was reading the whole screen as one game. Newbie error.

And maybe you were viewing on a cellphone? I'm always using a desktop where the presentations may not be identical.

Quoted from undrdog:

While I have your attention... how many of these do we think exist in the wild?

I don't know. We have no production count in our listing and I see the IPSND.net has no serial numbers submitted to them for this game.

Do you see a serial number on your three games, either on the cabinet or inside the game? If so, you should submit them to the IPSND.net to get the ball rolling. Include there a focused close-up of each serial number as provenance. Your serial number spread can give a clue as to a minimum quantity.

Quoted from undrdog:

The backglass colors on each are different. The backglass layout doesn’t change. The cabinet trim on each is different. Want pictures?

You bet I do. Also make photos of the reverse side of each backglass, if it is easily accessible. Otherwise, don't mess with removing your backglass for this shot. However, from the "Inside backbox" picture that we have, it looks like you can easily move the brace at the top enter of the insert to allow it to hinge downward to make this photo without touching the glass? Except I wonder what holds the glass in place so it doesn't tip over when the insert is hinged open? Don't take risks for my sake.

If you find and photograph the serial numbers, I can explain in our listing where you found them so other owners can look for theirs, then submit them to the IPSND.net.

We always request photos be taken in good lighting so they are not grainy-looking. We can accept images up to a whopping 10MB each but most folks send them in between 1MB and 4MB each.

You may email your pics to me at the address below.

Thank you for your help to photo-document this game for the pinball record.

Jay
IPDB
[email protected]

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside