(Topic ID: 32900)

Tron Portal MB, possible to complete? (Yes, now on camera!)

By hassanchop

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by hassanchop
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you completed portal multiball?”

• yes, i am a god 13 votes
    16%
  • no 45 votes
    56%
  • of course not.. what a stupid question 22 votes
    28%

(80 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tron_anto.JPG
tron.JPG
12122012035.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hassanchop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Today i almost completed portal. I manage to be one shot away for completion (right loop).
So if i did this than IT IS possible to complete it some day i guess!
has anyone complete it?
finished with a crappy 159 million

12122012035.jpg

#3 7 years ago

"we" talked about getting there. I wanted to talk about completing it..

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

It has been done. On location. The subsequent mb was less than interesting. Maybe that has been updated from last year?

subsequent mb???

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

When portal is completed there is another mb.
Actually calling it another mb is not accurate, maybe.
I don't recall if it gave all four balls back again or not. But (very) similar to SS, there were points to be had on the ramps.

this is new to me

#17 7 years ago

good strategy.
does anyone know if the ball saver is reduced if you let balls drain?

Quoted from Snailman:

Oh, and practice staging your upper flipper. Very handy!

one of the things i love about this pin, it really makes you wanna be better at stage flipping

1 week later
#20 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, if i read well, 6 guys have voted "done", but none have left a com in the topic !?
quite strange isnt it ???

maibe some of them thought i was asking "have you reached portal" instead of finishing portal?

Quoted from RipleYYY:

and talking about the "gem" shot, ok its hard, but how hard ?
my son already got (lucky) bonus X12, that means 11 gem switches on the same ball !!!
yesterday, i've done X7, that's 6 gem (dont remember if i do better before)

and you ?

the shot is very hard imo. and with the target bank down it's way harder.
i call it a luck shot, since most of the times you get it out of luck heheheheh
i found it easier to shoot for the left tron targets with the right flipper. you try a few times and you eventualy get it.

my top gem on one ball is 11x bonus, so 10 shots.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I voted yes and completed Portal. Not a god though, maybe demi-god

yes you are a god!
that thing is haaaaard!!

2 months later
#28 7 years ago

done it today. i am a god!
would change my vote but it doesn't let me.

completing it is more a luck thing than playing good. it's hard as hell and i doubt i will ever finish it again

2 weeks later
#31 7 years ago

326... yep.. awesome score!

portal mb doesnt give you much points.. so your score is all the rest of the game.
the biggest single hit you can get is completing all events before SOS, than get souble scoring and start portal. that's 100 million right there! got it once only

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

was 197M at the end of ball 1...

you could drain ball 2 and 3 and still put your name on grand champion hahahaha

the problem with tron is when you play the same mode a few times, for example gem: you have to shoot gem a zillion times to start the mode again..
so when your score is at 200-300 million you know you are not gonna get much more... like 500.. (happens everyday when i play... NOT!)

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I've had Tron (as my first pin) a little under a month.

i only reached portal the first time after almost 2 months playing everyday.
and i play almost everyday for so many years now heheheh

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

We all know Sheats is one hell of a pinball player. I am glad he has made wizard modes that none elite players can reach once in a while.

i think he exaggerates a little. portal is now more easy to reach, but it's completion is like a shot of luck. even if you are a great player you probably won't get it.
look at the poll stats.. only 17% of the guys completed it. on a home use game? that you can practice everyday? camon.. lol

1 month later
#46 7 years ago

been 2 months since i finished portal for the first and only time.
been trying almost everyday since then and i simply can't do it again! and with the new 1.74 code it's way more easy to reach portal, so i practice much more.
damn this is the hardest wizard mode i have ever seen..

7 months later
#48 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

done it today. i am a god!
would change my vote but it doesn't let me.
completing it is more a luck thing than playing good. it's hard as hell and i doubt i will ever finish it again

I have the machine for 14 months now. I basically reach portal every time I play (every 3 or 4 games for session). But still only completed portal one time, 9 months ago.
So the stats are:
Getting to portal - 100.000 times
Completing portal - 1 time

arrgh

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

For those who get to Portal often, are there any modes that you complete consistently or is the focus just starting modes to get to SoS?

I always try to get Light Cycle Mb done. Because that is the hardest one to clear in sos.
If you start Zuze mode on a multiball, definitely try to finish it while you'r at it.

One trick to help you clear more stuff while in Disc MB: If you happen to be one shot away from super jackpot and you have one ball cradled on the left (easy shot to the disc), drain the other ball and shoot the disc for Disc MB restart. You get an extra 10 second ball saver

Quoted from DaveH:

One of the best games ever made.

Agree.

1 month later
#52 6 years ago

In the last 3 weeks I finished portal 3 times!!
During more than a year my count was only 1. And just like that I'm on 4 finishes now.
I noticed that in all of them I was hitting the right orbit pretty good. I think that's the hardest shot to do on the multiball, so if you are on a right orbit good day you can do it.
I am gonna try to film and see if I can get in on camera.

Anyway I think this makes me Tron master god of gods by now...

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Depends. If you have elastics closing off your outlanes and a pitch of 2 degrees, it doesn't.

Muhahahahaah I think I have it all factory settings.
What I also think is the flipper rubbers I'm using are probably at some point where I make the right orbit shot much more frequently. This sounds stupid, but it's what I feel like.

Quoted from RipleYYY:

and we have to talk about your "tron" ranking
lol

Well, I got to get it on camera. Not to prove anything, but so we can have at least one video on youtube with portal complete.

#59 6 years ago

I got it!! (that was quick)

Video is uploading......

#60 6 years ago

Here is the vid, completing portal:

Added 17 months ago:

New link:

#62 6 years ago

My bad! It's public now

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Does the video end before you complete it? I didn't see much fanfare. Seemed like you were still going. Either way, very impressive flipper skills!

You get to the super jackpot (completion of the mode) when you get the last disc shot. Then not much happens, just "yyeyyy super jackpot" and after that it's all shots 1 M. Until you are left with only one ball. That's it.
In the end you see me shoot the left ramp repeatedly for 1 M. That's after completion.
Not much fanfare because Borg probably thought you wouldn't see it many times lol.

Quoted from IBARAKURO:

this mode is less spectacular than the SOS

Yeah, compared to sos this is boring. If you look closer, the final completion animation is just some kind of explosion. After that there's simply no more animations lol

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Do you hold the button exactly halfway?

Yes. Been practicing for more than one year on this machine. It's hard to hold in that position, that's why you see the top right flipper firing sometimes. That's me trying to hold the position.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Near the end, at the 5:25 mark, you lost one of your last two balls, but another was put back into play. What was happening there?

I finished the right orbit shot in the grace period.
In portal, each time you finish a shot you get an add a ball and a ridiculous 1.5 second ball saver.
After all shots are finished the disc lights for super jackpot. Super jackpot finishes portal and from then on it's 1 million per shot until you are left with only one ball.
Technically portal multiball never ends without a drain.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

not only skill needed, but part of luck

Yes. In order to finish this you really need luck. Skill only will not make you complete it. It's nearly impossible unless you are on a lucky day
The right orbit shot on the grace period was pure luck!

4 years later
#77 1 year ago

Sorry, forgot to update it here:

4 weeks later
#82 1 year ago

Another good strategy is to try to complete the right ramp with the top flipper on the beginning, while the first ball saver is still on. Just let the balls drain because they come back to the top flipper.

Quoted from Snailman:

It's a pity that the Portal Super jackpot for completing it isn't more valuable and that there isn't more fanfare

It should be at least 300 million because it's so hard.

I sent this video to Borg a couple of years ago and he was amazed to see someone finishing the game. I am pretty sure he was not expecting much people to finish it, that is why the value is so low and you don't see any good dmd animations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hassanchop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside