Tron Portal MB, possible to complete? (Yes, now on camera!)

(Topic ID: 32900)

Tron Portal MB, possible to complete? (Yes, now on camera!)

By hassanchop

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by hassanchop
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you completed portal multiball?”

• yes, i am a god 13 votes
    17%
  • no 44 votes
    57%
  • of course not.. what a stupid question 20 votes
    26%

(77 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tron_anto.JPG
tron.JPG
12122012035.jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

For those who get to Portal often, are there any modes that you complete consistently or is the focus just starting modes to get to SoS?

I always try to get Light Cycle Mb done. Because that is the hardest one to clear in sos.
If you start Zuze mode on a multiball, definitely try to finish it while you'r at it.

One trick to help you clear more stuff while in Disc MB: If you happen to be one shot away from super jackpot and you have one ball cradled on the left (easy shot to the disc), drain the other ball and shoot the disc for Disc MB restart. You get an extra 10 second ball saver

Quoted from DaveH:

One of the best games ever made.

Agree.

1 month later
#52 4 years ago

In the last 3 weeks I finished portal 3 times!!
During more than a year my count was only 1. And just like that I'm on 4 finishes now.
I noticed that in all of them I was hitting the right orbit pretty good. I think that's the hardest shot to do on the multiball, so if you are on a right orbit good day you can do it.
I am gonna try to film and see if I can get in on camera.

Anyway I think this makes me Tron master god of gods by now...

#53 4 years ago

Crap dang it! I hardly ever even get to SoS. I just need to become a better player.

Congrats on your playing prowess.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Depends. If you have elastics closing off your outlanes and a pitch of 2 degrees, it doesn't. If it setup like a real machine, yes, it does. Finishing Portal is insane. Getting to Portal is insane (I have still only started it once). With completing it 4 times yes, you are definitely ready to be declared the Tron Master.

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Crap dang it! I hardly ever even get to SoS. I just need to become a better player.

But Crap dang it, Tron is still a fun game no matter where you get to.

My Tron is getting pulled from my lineup soon... to head into the shop for the ramp kit, dress up kit and a good cleaning. Then right back into the fight!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Congrats on your playing prowess.

Same here.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But Crap dang it, Tron is still a fun game no matter where you get to.

That's one of the best things about the game. We mortals can play to try to make it to SoS, with the extremely rare trip to Portal and not end up feeling demeaned in the process. The Tron master god of gods can also play and remain challenged.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

In the last 3 weeks I finished portal 3 times!!

recently, i got to portal 3 times... and it ended as always : 9M, than 6M, than... 3M !!!
and we have to talk about your "tron" ranking
lol

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Depends. If you have elastics closing off your outlanes and a pitch of 2 degrees, it doesn't.

Muhahahahaah I think I have it all factory settings.
What I also think is the flipper rubbers I'm using are probably at some point where I make the right orbit shot much more frequently. This sounds stupid, but it's what I feel like.

Quoted from RipleYYY:

and we have to talk about your "tron" ranking
lol

Well, I got to get it on camera. Not to prove anything, but so we can have at least one video on youtube with portal complete.

#59 4 years ago

I got it!! (that was quick)

Video is uploading......

#60 4 years ago

Here is the vid, completing portal:

Added 38 days ago:

New link:

#61 4 years ago

This video is private.

#62 4 years ago

My bad! It's public now

#63 4 years ago

Does the video end before you complete it? I didn't see much fanfare. Seemed like you were still going. Either way, very impressive flipper skills!

#64 4 years ago

Super...
this mode is less spectacular than the SOS
this is true ... it will deserve a true end mode
it does not matter ... I'll never

#65 4 years ago

Impressive stalls on left lower flipper while making loop and ramp shot. The lower flipper did not even flutter.
Do you hold the button exactly halfway?

Better player than me but love getting my A$$ beat by tron.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Does the video end before you complete it? I didn't see much fanfare. Seemed like you were still going. Either way, very impressive flipper skills!

You get to the super jackpot (completion of the mode) when you get the last disc shot. Then not much happens, just "yyeyyy super jackpot" and after that it's all shots 1 M. Until you are left with only one ball. That's it.
In the end you see me shoot the left ramp repeatedly for 1 M. That's after completion.
Not much fanfare because Borg probably thought you wouldn't see it many times lol.

Quoted from IBARAKURO:

this mode is less spectacular than the SOS

Yeah, compared to sos this is boring. If you look closer, the final completion animation is just some kind of explosion. After that there's simply no more animations lol

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Do you hold the button exactly halfway?

Yes. Been practicing for more than one year on this machine. It's hard to hold in that position, that's why you see the top right flipper firing sometimes. That's me trying to hold the position.

#67 4 years ago

Haha oh man how clutch was that last right orbit? Even knowing you were going to make it I was like 'OH NO QUICK!'

#68 4 years ago

Amazing ball control man, along with the nudges. Very good game!

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Here is the vid, completing portal:
» YouTube video

Nice! Very impressed with your play, especially your ability to shoot the upper left flipper without activating the lower flippers (where you had balls cradled).

Near the end, at the 5:25 mark, you lost one of your last two balls, but another was put back into play. What was happening there?

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Near the end, at the 5:25 mark, you lost one of your last two balls, but another was put back into play. What was happening there?

I finished the right orbit shot in the grace period.
In portal, each time you finish a shot you get an add a ball and a ridiculous 1.5 second ball saver.
After all shots are finished the disc lights for super jackpot. Super jackpot finishes portal and from then on it's 1 million per shot until you are left with only one ball.
Technically portal multiball never ends without a drain.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Technically portal multiball never ends without a drain.

In my book you definitely reached the end, amazing!

#72 4 years ago

Nice skills bro.
Oh, and I recognize your nick from the gopinball forum... as well as from the classic Warner Bros cartoon.

#73 4 years ago

i can easily feel the stress growing by watching you playing...
lets admit that the only way to finish it is to play with "only" 1 ball, not firing all balls over the playfield, as i'm trying since monthes (my son was close as it)
and again, not only skill needed, but part of luck, just for example the 2 backflip to free a ball at 5'00 (near out) & even more 5'30 (out ! and than needed a direct right lane to add the ball as it was the last insert shot else...)

btw, well done, you've mastered this pin for sure
may be one day we can meet and have a real game

++

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

not only skill needed, but part of luck

Yes. In order to finish this you really need luck. Skill only will not make you complete it. It's nearly impossible unless you are on a lucky day
The right orbit shot on the grace period was pure luck!

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

lets admit that the only way to finish it is to play with "only" 1 ball, not firing all balls over the playfield

In addition to this, learning to stage your upper flipper is EXTREMELY helpful to complete Portal -- not to mention performing well on LC & Quorra MB's in Tron.

Play a friend's new-to-him fully modded Pro last night (Eli ramp lighting, sub, shaker, custom lights, etc).... my love affair with Tron pinball is rekindled.

4 years later
#76 8 months ago

Video doesn’t work. Can you bring it back? Thanks

6 months later
#77 37 days ago

Sorry, forgot to update it here:

2 weeks later
#78 22 days ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Sorry, forgot to update it here:

AWESOME!

#79 22 days ago

One hell of a good nudge at 4:55...

#80 18 days ago

Clutch final R orbit shot during the grace period! Well done. You even completed Portal the hard way: you cashed in your final insert on 2-3 of your shots while 4 balls were still in play, foregoing the usual add-a-ball award and only getting the very short ball-save period.

For those still trying to complete Portal, to increase your chances, play it just like hassanchop played it initially where he set up three of shots to be one shot away from completion while 3+ balls were in play. But don't finish a shot with 3+ balls in play -- instead shift your focus to another shot that isn't one away. Once you drain down to 2 balls, then cash in one of your shot completion add-a-balls to get back to three, and keep working on other shots that aren't 1 away from completion.

It's a pity that the Portal Super jackpot for completing it isn't more valuable and that there isn't more fanfare -- and that the victory lap stage afterwards also isn't more valuable or fun. AFM RTU completion fanfare is so good, and victory lap logic after RTU is so good -- I wish Portal could have that.

1 week later
#82 9 days ago

Another good strategy is to try to complete the right ramp with the top flipper on the beginning, while the first ball saver is still on. Just let the balls drain because they come back to the top flipper.

Quoted from Snailman:

It's a pity that the Portal Super jackpot for completing it isn't more valuable and that there isn't more fanfare

It should be at least 300 million because it's so hard.

I sent this video to Borg a couple of years ago and he was amazed to see someone finishing the game. I am pretty sure he was not expecting much people to finish it, that is why the value is so low and you don't see any good dmd animations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 305.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside