Tron Portal MB, possible to complete? (Yes, now on camera!)

(Topic ID: 32900)

Tron Portal MB, possible to complete? (Yes, now on camera!)

By hassanchop

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 days ago by hassanchop
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Have you completed portal multiball?”

• yes, i am a god 13 votes
    17%
  • no 44 votes
    57%
  • of course not.. what a stupid question 20 votes
    26%

(77 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tron_anto.JPG
tron.JPG
12122012035.jpg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Today i almost completed portal. I manage to be one shot away for completion (right loop).
So if i did this than IT IS possible to complete it some day i guess!
has anyone complete it?
finished with a crappy 159 million

12122012035.jpg

#2 6 years ago

seems we already talked about that...

more luck next time

#3 6 years ago

"we" talked about getting there. I wanted to talk about completing it..

#4 6 years ago

I've been three shots away, and I suck, so it's definitely possible.

Gotta be honest though, it's not a very fun wizard mode. Light every insert on a playfield that's too hectic to juggle four balls on. I wish it was a three or two ball mode; four balls do more harm than good. All of my Portal ball saver time is usually wasted because there are too many balls in the way to aim for anything. And good luck getting credit for a Tron orbit shot with the ball save on.

#5 6 years ago

It has been done. On location. The subsequent mb was less than interesting. Maybe that has been updated from last year?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

It has been done. On location. The subsequent mb was less than interesting. Maybe that has been updated from last year?

subsequent mb???

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

To what are you referring, Willis?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

"we" talked about getting there. I wanted to talk about completing it..

no no, "completing" it

as already said than, Roy Wills (holland) told me he did it, and i know (...) that David G & Tim HB (france) have done it too

my son was also 2 shoots from it
and to me i suck every time i'll go for it

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

subsequent mb???

When portal is completed there is another mb.

Actually calling it another mb is not accurate, maybe.
I don't recall if it gave all four balls back again or not. But (very) similar to SS, there were points to be had on the ramps.

#10 6 years ago

I was one shot off. =\

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

When portal is completed there is another mb.
Actually calling it another mb is not accurate, maybe.
I don't recall if it gave all four balls back again or not. But (very) similar to SS, there were points to be had on the ramps.

this is new to me

#12 6 years ago

1 shot away here several times

www.HabosArcade.com

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Light every insert on a playfield that's too hectic to juggle four balls on. I wish it was a three or two ball mode; four balls do more harm than good. All of my Portal ball saver time is usually wasted because there are too many balls in the way to aim for anything.

There is no point in keeping 4 balls going. You can add balls by finishing each series of shots (4 each). Cradle ball(s) on the left flipper and do as much damage as you can with the right flipper. When you need to make a shot from the upper flipper, quickly drop it and make your shot. Any cradled balls on the lower flipper will stay in play.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

There is no point in keeping 4 balls going.

Trust me, I don't try to. But the ball saver continually trying to keep them all in play mucks up the works.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Trust me, I don't try to. But the ball saver continually trying to keep them all in play mucks up the works.

I use it on purpose to make Gem/Right ramp shots. Got portal today and had the right ramp cleared out before the ball save even turned off, heh.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I use it on purpose to make Gem/Right ramp shots. Got portal today and had the right ramp cleared out before the ball save even turned off, heh.

Exactly! This has been my strategy on Portal after about the third time I got there. Knock out that right ramp, and don't even pay attention to the lower flippers while the ball save is on.

Then cradle as many as you can get and start knocking shots out one at a time.

Oh, and practice staging your upper flipper. Very handy!

#17 6 years ago

good strategy.
does anyone know if the ball saver is reduced if you let balls drain?

Quoted from Snailman:

Oh, and practice staging your upper flipper. Very handy!

one of the things i love about this pin, it really makes you wanna be better at stage flipping

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

does anyone know if the ball saver is reduced if you let balls drain?

No, I don't believe so. But have never timed it. However, between my usual initial R ramp strategy compared to the few times I've abandoned it for variety, I haven't noticed a difference in ball saver time.

Quoted from hassanchop:

really makes you wanna be better at stage flipping

Not to mention that it's not just Portal that puts this into practice. It is very useful every game for LCMB and QMB. Those become MUCH easier to complete cradling 1-3 balls on your L flipper while you obliterate the multiball with the other ball using only your R flipper and upper flipper.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago

well, if i read well, 6 guys have voted "done", but none have left a com in the topic !?
quite strange isnt it ???

and talking about the "gem" shot, ok its hard, but how hard ?
my son already got (lucky) bonus X12, that means 11 gem switches on the same ball !!!
yesterday, i've done X7, that's 6 gem (dont remember if i do better before)

and you ?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, if i read well, 6 guys have voted "done", but none have left a com in the topic !?

maibe some of them thought i was asking "have you reached portal" instead of finishing portal?

Quoted from RipleYYY:

and talking about the "gem" shot, ok its hard, but how hard ?
my son already got (lucky) bonus X12, that means 11 gem switches on the same ball !!!
yesterday, i've done X7, that's 6 gem (dont remember if i do better before)

and you ?

the shot is very hard imo. and with the target bank down it's way harder.
i call it a luck shot, since most of the times you get it out of luck heheheheh
i found it easier to shoot for the left tron targets with the right flipper. you try a few times and you eventualy get it.

my top gem on one ball is 11x bonus, so 10 shots.

#21 6 years ago

ok

and ok !

#22 6 years ago

I voted yes and completed Portal. Not a god though, maybe demi-god I have completed only once. I am proud of that score, cause it beat my previous high by about 80 mil lol

tron.JPG

#23 6 years ago

I almost got to Portal on another location pin last week...was one shot off. Totally aggravating.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I voted yes and completed Portal

and you said it in another post if i remember well now... congrats

than, thats 1 guy out of the 6, who else ?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I voted yes and completed Portal. Not a god though, maybe demi-god

yes you are a god!
that thing is haaaaard!!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Uh, yes, I have. And if you search for my posts regarding Portal, you'll read more detail on what transpired. Search RGP as well... I don't recall which place I made the thread.

#27 6 years ago

2 !

4 remaining...

2 months later
#28 5 years ago

done it today. i am a god!
would change my vote but it doesn't let me.

completing it is more a luck thing than playing good. it's hard as hell and i doubt i will ever finish it again

2 weeks later
#29 5 years ago

didnt noticed your last post, than : BRAVO !!!

and tonight, my son beat me, check this, still without PORTAL (...)
in 3 balls + factory settings, thats a fucking good score

tron_anto.JPG

#30 5 years ago

Haven't even started it yet. But I sure like trying to get there!

#31 5 years ago

326... yep.. awesome score!

portal mb doesnt give you much points.. so your score is all the rest of the game.
the biggest single hit you can get is completing all events before SOS, than get souble scoring and start portal. that's 100 million right there! got it once only

#32 5 years ago

that's just what he did

was an insane 1st ball, all missions "fully" completed, than double score, than start PORTAL
was 197M at the end of ball 1...

now, he's got a punishment : no more pinball playing for 3 monthes !!! (lol inside)

++

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

was 197M at the end of ball 1...

you could drain ball 2 and 3 and still put your name on grand champion hahahaha

the problem with tron is when you play the same mode a few times, for example gem: you have to shoot gem a zillion times to start the mode again..
so when your score is at 200-300 million you know you are not gonna get much more... like 500.. (happens everyday when i play... NOT!)

#34 5 years ago

Wow, am I jealous! Not depressed, though, cuz I'm pretty much still a noob. I've only made it to SoS a couple of times and never very deep. I've had Tron (as my first pin) a little under a month. Not exactly sure how many games I've personally played but my personal high is somewhere in the 48 million range if I recall correctly.

I would love to actually be able to see someone tear up some scores like that and go into Portal.

Congrats to all of you who are better than me...and that includes most on this forum probably, lol.

Darin

#35 5 years ago

evbd with his own "skill"... no matter, as YOU take pleasure while you're playing

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I've had Tron (as my first pin) a little under a month.

i only reached portal the first time after almost 2 months playing everyday.
and i play almost everyday for so many years now heheheh

#37 5 years ago

I see this thread is 3 months old. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but with the latest update, Portal is significantly easier to get to. If you've never been there, get cracking. Probably easier to reach than Superhero now. No excuses guys. Get to work.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Probably easier to reach than Superhero now.

Yea Portal is easier to get to then Superhero now which is not necessarily a bad thing. Superhero has just the right difficulty to reach the wizard mode IMO. Tough to get to but most owners will play it eventually. We all know Sheats is one hell of a pinball player. I am glad he has made wizard modes that none elite players can reach once in a while. Keeps things fun and prevents the wizard mode from being unrealized for 90-95% of the players.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Superhero has just the right difficulty to reach the wizard mode IMO. Tough to get to but most owners will play it eventually.

I disagree, something that should have been done for Super Hero advancement instead of the crap that is repeatedly hitting the side ramp for Venom the last time would have been 6 (from memory) shots to start it and then alternating between the 2 ramp shots to complete, rather than another 8 shots to do it (14 total just for the 3rd part). Most players will struggle to get past that bit and it's boring as hell (just the Venom part not the rest of the game) as it is

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

I disagree, something that should have been done for Super Hero advancement instead of the crap that is repeatedly hitting the side ramp for Venom the last time would have been 6 (from memory) shots to start it and then alternating between the 2 ramp shots to complete, rather than another 8 shots to do it (14 total just for the 3rd part). Most players will struggle to get past that bit and it's boring as hell (just the Venom part not the rest of the game) as it is

I always get down to "Godspeed Spiderman" and/or a "White" mode usually. I've been to Superhero a few times and in no way would I say that Venom is the "roadblock". Other than Sandman, I'd say he is the easiest to complete.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

We all know Sheats is one hell of a pinball player. I am glad he has made wizard modes that none elite players can reach once in a while.

i think he exaggerates a little. portal is now more easy to reach, but it's completion is like a shot of luck. even if you are a great player you probably won't get it.
look at the poll stats.. only 17% of the guys completed it. on a home use game? that you can practice everyday? camon.. lol

#42 5 years ago

I just got a tron. On my 5th or so game I got to sea of simulation and finished with 55m. I thought that wasn't bad. 159 is a monster game. Nice.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

i think he exaggerates a little. portal is now more easy to reach, but it's completion is like a shot of luck. even if you are a great player you probably won't get it.

I was not talking about completing the wizard mode I was talking about reaching it. IMO the new code for TRON makes Portal pretty attainable even for none elite players. Before the update I made Portal once after the update about 4 times up till now. This results in more attempts which makes beating it more achievable than it was before the update.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I just got a tron. On my 5th or so game I got to sea of simulation and finished with 55m. I thought that wasn't bad. 159 is a monster game. Nice.

Yeah, I'm with you. I've had the game just under a week and while I've got to SoS a couple dozen times or so, I've yet to get to Portal. Heck, I'm happy when I break 40m to be honest. I just had my best game thus far at merely ~68m and was pumped...only to be humbled by this thread.

As tough as it is...and as much as I suck - compared to you all, it sure is a ton of fun!

#45 5 years ago

Just pulled mine out of the box yesterday and got it right away...... kidding of course, holding balls on the left flipper is difficult, but balls pass easily on bump with Tron, so it will take some luck to get it just right..

1 month later
#46 5 years ago

been 2 months since i finished portal for the first and only time.
been trying almost everyday since then and i simply can't do it again! and with the new 1.74 code it's way more easy to reach portal, so i practice much more.
damn this is the hardest wizard mode i have ever seen..

#47 5 years ago

The 3rd time I played Tron, I made it to Sea of Simulation and almost made it to Portal and I don't consider myself a pinball Jedi by any means. When I got mine, I put every setting on Hard and made it almost impossible to get Extra balls. This will ensure the game stays in my collection a while.

7 months later
#48 5 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

done it today. i am a god!
would change my vote but it doesn't let me.
completing it is more a luck thing than playing good. it's hard as hell and i doubt i will ever finish it again

I have the machine for 14 months now. I basically reach portal every time I play (every 3 or 4 games for session). But still only completed portal one time, 9 months ago.
So the stats are:
Getting to portal - 100.000 times
Completing portal - 1 time

arrgh

#49 5 years ago

I find getting SoS to be really difficult. But my main goal is to score the 50M for skipping SoS by having all modes completed. Inevitably I'll lose three balls in the process but man is it a great chase.

For those who get to Portal often, are there any modes that you complete consistently or is the focus just starting modes to get to SoS?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Haven't even started it yet. But I sure like trying to get there!

Hahahaha! Old thread! I wrote that 9 months ago when I was on a huge quest to get to the Portal. I did finally make it there, and turned into a lump of scrambled eggs as soon as it started. It was a HUGE thrill to finally get there. I had been a few shots away for a long time, and it was a blast to keep trying. Now I get to SOS fairly regularly, but I still have not been back to Portal. My only rating of Tron would have to be "Fantastic". The game is still one of the most played games in my house. It can sit for a little while, but all I need to do is flip it on and start a game and the addiction begins again. One of the best games ever made.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 305.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 63.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside