(Topic ID: 77309)

Tron: Xpin white DMD + Stern blue cover = Dynamite!

By Buckman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3139.JPG
IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG
blue 2.JPG
blue 1.JPG
#1 10 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Xpin White DMD display. I also bought a Stern blue DMD cover. The White Xpin has a grey colour gel that tones down the white a bit and overall the white looks really nice (definitely different).

I then put the grey colour gel on the blue cover and installed it in the machine. Overall it looks awesome, it's a really nice shade of blue. Not too dark, not too bright, overall it's just right and very pleasing to the eye. Below are a couple of still pictures and a short vid (my 10 year old was pretty excited to complete CLU!). The camera makes the DMD look a little blue / whitish but it's definitely an all out nice shade of blue when you are looking at in in person.

The cool thing about the white display is that you can change it up and use a bunch of different colours if you want (you just peel off the colour gel and install it over the display). My son wants to go with purple next!

blue 1.JPGblue 1.JPG
blue 2.JPGblue 2.JPG
IMG_3125.JPGIMG_3125.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Looks amazing. $350 +shipping though.
That's a lot of scratch.
love your LE. I'm stuck with a modded out pro.

#3 10 years ago

That is cool. I didn't know you could buy the different colored gel covers.

#4 10 years ago

I've seen the white X-Pin in person, and with the blue filter it's truly blue. It always looks white-ish in photos, tough to capture.

#5 10 years ago

I believe the white displays come with all of them so you can use and reuse to your liking in different games.

#6 10 years ago

Dan is correct.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

That's a lot of scratch.

I was waffling on the cost as well but definitely happy I bought it as it absolutely blows away the stock orange colour (maybe I've just looked at orange so long anything else just looks cool).

I used to own a modded out Pro myself and it was an awesome machine!

You guys are correct about the colour gels, they do come with the white display.

#8 10 years ago

I'm thinking about changing my display on my Hulk Avengers pin and would love to hear some recommendations from others on using an Xpin display or something similar as my green display seems washed out or lighter than the rest of my Sterns. How hard are they to install and with these colored gels are they reusable or once you peel them off and put them on are they pretty much used up? The blue on the Tron looks really cool.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Deyanks98:

I'm thinking about changing my display on my Hulk Avengers pin and would love to hear some recommendations from others on using an Xpin display or something similar as my green display seems washed out or lighter than the rest of my Sterns. How hard are they to install and with these colored gels are they reusable or once you peel them off and put them on are they pretty much used up? The blue on the Tron looks really cool.

The display is simple to install, probably took me about 10 minutes to change it out. All you need is a Philips screwdriver and a 1/4 inch socket.

As for the colour gels, you peel them off and it's got some adhesive on the back side. I think you could reuse them as it wouldn't be too hard to peel off.

If I get a bit of time in the next couple of days I'll put one of the green gels in and put up a quick vid so you can check it out.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

That's a lot of scratch.

For another 49, I prefer the sigma color dmd with the upscaling--really dig the way it looks.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

As for the colour gels, you peel them off and it's got some adhesive on the back side. I think you could reuse them as it wouldn't be too hard to peel off.

The gels will peel off, but I would only recommend doing so if the display has been off for a few minutes.

Pictures and video are awesome! Thanks for posting!

#12 10 years ago

This is what I'm looking for on my STLE. Thanks

#13 10 years ago

Very nice look

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

This is what I'm looking for on my STLE. Thanks

I think it would great on STLE. Remember to order the proper blue cover as the standard one won't work on STLE. I'm not sure if Brett has them on his site or not. I know Pinbits made one to work:

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=578&zenid=pe168qptdm3fj7vsr79jbnso65

#15 10 years ago

Looking goooooddd!!!!

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

I think it would great on STLE. Remember to order the proper blue cover as the standard one won't work on STLE. I'm not sure if Brett has them on his site or not. I know Pinbits made one to work:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=578&zenid=pe168qptdm3fj7vsr79jbnso65

Thanks!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

For another 49, I prefer the sigma color dmd with the upscaling--really dig the way it looks.

I love the colordmd in the williams that support color as I had one in my AFM, but I tried it in my tron... it just didn't pop. The blues just looked drab. I ended up with a blue dmd and couldn't be happier. Its nice to have options.

#18 10 years ago

I have that on mine--Pinbits cover in front of white XPin.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

I love the colordmd in the williams that support color as I had one in my AFM, but I tried it in my tron... it just didn't pop. The blues just looked drab. I ended up with a blue dmd and couldn't be happier. Its nice to have options.

If you're going for more of a blue look and want it to pop, then xpin may be the better choice. You're right that the color dmd colors can look drab. I was looking for more of a cool white + upscaling to match the Tron vibe and its great for that.

I had a blue xpin dmd in it previously that I bought at MGC last Spring and was frustrated/disappointed with the tile placement and pixels burning out on it.

#20 10 years ago

I wasn't happy with my blue Xpin either Razerx, same issues. I now have the blue Vishay with blue Pinbits filter and couldn't be happier. Certainly pops!

#21 10 years ago

This looks fantastic. I think it'd look awesome in my TZ or awesome on a T2 with the red filter. I love how the original orange plasma displays 'pop' so if I went the alternate color route I'd hope to achieve the same effect.

#22 10 years ago

seems very nice
but the price... ouch !

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

I had a blue xpin dmd in it previously that I bought at MGC last Spring and was frustrated/disappointed with the tile placement and pixels burning out on it.

Did you contact Brett? I've had great customer service from him.

#24 10 years ago

Does Tron use the 'basic' or 'low voltage' version XPin display?

The writeup here (http://xpinpinball.com/products/displays/NEW-XP-DMD4096LV-W) suggests the LV version was tested with a Tron LE... but I looked at mine this morning and it looks like a high voltage. Any one know for sure? How can I tell? Grab the wires when it's on and if it hurts it's high voltage?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

The writeup here (http://xpinpinball.com/products/displays/NEW-XP-DMD4096LV-W) suggests the LV version was tested with a TRON LE... but I looked at mine this morning and it looks like a high voltage. Any one know for sure? How can I tell? Grab the wires when it's on and if it hurts it's high voltage?

On Tron you could have either the high (basic / regular) or low voltage. I had a Tron Pro that was built October 2012 and it had the low voltage display. My Tron LE was built July 2011 and it has the high voltage display.

If you've got a Tron LE it will have the high voltage (and I think the first run of Tron Pros were also high voltage), and if you look on the back of the DMD display you'll see a molex connector with 7 spots on it (see picture below, and it goes right to the "high voltage" in the backbox). The other picture is of my ACDC Premium, which was built in May 2013, and it has the 5V (low voltage) connection.

You could put your hands in there and shock yourself to see if it really hurts to know you've got the high voltage, but save yourself the pain and suffering!

So you'll want to order the regular voltage one which is XP-DMD4096-W.

IMG_3137.JPGIMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3138.JPGIMG_3138.JPG
IMG_3139.JPGIMG_3139.JPG

#26 10 years ago

One thing I forgot to mention, when I installed the grey colour gel I didn't put it over the DMD display, I just put in on the back of the DMD plastic cover. I also used a few pieces of scotch tape and put the non sticky side down, that way it went on straight with no air bubbles or waves, and it was nice and easy to install. I can also easily remove it if I want to (I have both the clear and blue displays, so this makes it easy to move from one to the other if I want to).

IMG_3126.JPGIMG_3126.JPG

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

The writeup here (http://xpinpinball.com/products/displays/NEW-XP-DMD4096LV-W) suggests the LV version was tested with a TRON LE... but I looked at mine this morning and it looks like a high voltage. Any one know for sure? How can I tell? Grab the wires when it's on and if it hurts it's high voltage?

Tron LE is high voltage. It's as simple as are you replacing a plasma or LED display? Plasma is high, LED is low.

For a Tron Pro it could be either depending on build date, but LEs were only made with plasmas.

#28 10 years ago

Thanks fellas. That's what I thought, but this comment on the XPin site threw me:

The XPin™ XP-DMD4096LV-x has been tested in all late model Stern pinball machines released with LED displays (ACDC, XMen, Tron LE, Avengers).

#29 10 years ago

Orange plasma display = high voltage.
Red LED display = low voltage.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Did you contact Brett? I've had great customer service from him.

I have not. Perhaps I should send him a note.

1 week later
#31 10 years ago

RazerX,

What can I do to help?

Brett
XPin

P.S. I just put out a post concerning my email server being hacked. Respond through pinside or here on the forum.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-xpin-white-dmd-stern-blue-cover-dynamite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.