• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200729_135631_resized (resized).jpg
20200729_135621_resized (resized).jpg
20200729_135616_resized (resized).jpg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I have played this game a few times in a bar, and .. I don't know .. why is this a $6k+ game? Somebody help me understand what I missed on this one.

#2 3 years ago

Supply and demand. It also doesn't hurt that it is a fun game. Too high for me though...

#3 3 years ago

Because it's #22 all time and there are probably less than 2,000 of them.

Are you looking to be convinced that it's a good game? Sweet layout, awesome soundtrack, great mood, lots of flow, and the disc is a great toy. The rules are simple, but you have to keep playing it because each game you were "only X shots away from the wizard mode"!

Plenty of other games to love if it's not your cup of tea.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Supply and demand. It also doesn't hurt that it is a fun game. Too high for me though...

Supply and demand for sure, along with theme. Tron was a dream theme for me (and many others) when it came out. I have the arcade game and a bunch of other Tron stuff, but I couldn't pull the trigger and get one NIB. Tron is a fun game, but there just isn't enough to the game for me in a home use environment. I wish it hadn't come out during the stripped down times of Stern, a Tron pin now with the LCD screen instead of those horrible movie rips along with a better rule set could be a huge winner. Now that prices have gotten stupid for Tron, I don't see myself ever getting one and I'm fine with that. I've seen what there is to see in the game and it's still fun to play once in a while when I run into one.

To answer the ops question directly...unless you are a huge Tron fan...IMHO you aren't missing out on much at $6,000+. There are plenty of games that are better overall packages for much less.

#5 3 years ago

I really considered picking one up, but Im just like you - I don't think it's worth the price it goes for.

#6 3 years ago

I've been playing mine for 9 years and never got sick of it. Thats why.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I only played it a handful of times on route and it just didn't catch with me; thought it was maybe the way it was set up.
I would be interested in playing a dialed in one where I could hear callouts, etc, but maybe it's just not going to happen considering supply/demand and price.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Thanks for the responses. I only played it a handful of times on route and it just didn't catch with me; thought it was maybe the way it was set up.
I would be interested in playing a dialed in one where I could hear callouts, etc, but maybe it's just not going to happen considering supply/demand and price.

Waiting for Tron VE or Tron 82' artwork adaptation .... Any threads about Tron VE ?!... that's a joke.

#9 3 years ago

A few times in a bar is not enough. This pin really sinks the hooks in you once you learn the rules and get the gem & quorra shots down. Going for SOS and Portal never gets old. The sound package is killer (probably hard to appreciate in a bar). The pin does not look like much bone stock, but has the best mods in pinball and really stuns with a few good mods installed. A pin best appreciated in the home.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

A few times in a bar is not enough. This pin really sinks the hooks in you once you learn the rules and get the gem & quorra shots down. Going for SOS and Portal never gets old. The sound package is killer (probably hard to appreciate in a bar). The pin does not look like much bone stock, but has the best mods in pinball and really stuns with a few good mods installed. A pin best appreciated in the home.

Great answer, ty.

#11 3 years ago

Tron is great anywhere, it's an all-timer.
Classic Easy to learn, hard to master. Nothing like being on ball 3 and trying to get that 2X going before heading into SOS/Portal!

#12 3 years ago

Its always been up in price, Ill be listing a NIB one next week

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

I have played this game a few times in a bar, and .. I don't know .. why is this a $6k+ game? Somebody help me understand what I missed on this one.

It's a fun , smooth playing game. With the Reconizer addition is great ! And to answer your pm, I thumbed you down because this is a hot selling game , music , etc and no I'm not blocking you. Now you have a great day!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from chad:

It's a fun , smooth playing game. With the Reconizer addition is great ! And to answer your pm, I thumbed you down because this is a hot selling game , music , etc and no I'm not blocking you. Now you have a great day!

Ha I thumbed him down at first too. I didn;t get a PM wtf?!

#15 3 years ago

only game i bought thinking it was a keeper then couldn't wait to sell it in a month. but damn, its a looker!

#16 3 years ago

Well, if you've gotta ask, I don't know what to tell you. (PS - You're in good company: my wife and friend both don't like it. But what do they know???)

EDIT: I LOVE when I take shots of a beautiful machine and none of the playfield inserts are lit.

20200729_135621_resized (resized).jpg20200729_135621_resized (resized).jpg20200729_135616_resized (resized).jpg20200729_135616_resized (resized).jpg20200729_135631_resized (resized).jpg20200729_135631_resized (resized).jpg

#17 3 years ago

I love Tron it’s one of my favorite pins but just sold mine while keeping similar built games like Iron Man, TWD pro and Met pro. To me these 4 are equally great but Tron was able to sell for a thousand higher.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I really considered picking one up, but Im just like you - I don't think it's worth the price it goes for.

Understandable, but in this case it is worth it.

This is the only Stern pro in 10 years to appreciate in $$ value above it's purchase price.
The playfield is tough, has great flow, the art is excellent, the voiceovers are good as is the music.
The always available timed double scoring feature rocks too.

Also the only game I've seen where the mods significantly add to the value of the overall game in the used market.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha I thumbed him down at first too. I didn;t get a PM wtf?!

You might get a PM with a thumbs down--wow, I'll play!

#20 3 years ago

I loved it more than lamp! I bought Tron pro NIB way back when. The last run with the 3D translite. I put basically every mod there is except the ramp lights. I just never could pull the trigger on that mod and didn't want to do the time consuming install. I sold it recently, but not because I was tired of it. I found a grail pin, JJPOTC SE, and needed to sell a pin to help pay for it. The value plus the fact that my wife never liked it because it was too difficult for her landed Tron on the chopping block. It sold almost instantly to a good friend of mine.

#21 3 years ago

The whole package speaks Tron. Great looks. Great homage to the video game and movie. A lot of Tron fans out there.

And more people love it than games available.

LTG : )

#22 3 years ago

Me and my dad had this machine for a long time.It wasn’t being played by anyone in our family and it was just sitting there collecting dust.We finally traded for a Tz which was one of our best decisions.The value of this game is insanely high which never made sense to me.The game is highly overrated as well.Artwork is awesome and so is the lighting. Gameplay was just boring and shots didn’t feel satisfying.I feel like I’m in the minority though.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The whole package speaks Tron. Great looks. Great homage to the video game and movie. A lot of Tron fans out there.
And more people love it than games available.
LTG : )

Agreed, I feel like Tron and Iron Man fit in the same category. Simple rules but great flow, not great dots since they’re movie rips not extra clear. Both use movie audio clips to great effect. Both have the incomparable Jeff Bridges the dude doing what he does.

One thing is IM has more recent vault and re-vault. I’m curious if Tron will get one last hurrah and knowing Stern I’d say yes.

#24 3 years ago

Sold mine 3 years ago. Don’t miss it at all!

#25 3 years ago

I've sold all of my games but my Metallica LE, my pimped out Tron Pro, and my Shadow. Tron just has something special about it that I feel an emotional attachment to. The sound package and the fiber optic ramps are definitely part of it. If the game you played didn't have the fiber optics it was missing something, and if you can't hear it well it's a big detraction too.

#26 3 years ago

First time I played tron on route, I was new to pinball. Plunged and drained asap, hated that game. Once a friend had one, I got a lot of games on it in their basement. I fell in love. I LOVE Tron. When you hear the music and you know the movie, it just immerses you into the Tron world/grid when you play. I've owned mine for years now, don't play my games much, and when I see a game I want I think I'll sell Tron first. Then I play it and go....ya no...this game is awesome. I would also say, it mods up nicely, like T2. Do I think a pro is worth $6k? If I didn't own one, no. But I do, so sure

#27 3 years ago

Between the gameplay, light show, dots, sounds and art it’s a great total immersive package. Love hearing the announcer and crowd cheering. Start of light cycle multiBall dot show and sound connected to an external sub is awesome. Watch the movie again and geek out even more! I bought an LE brand new back in the day and it still has the magic when I play it, which I can’t say about every pin.

#28 3 years ago

Rarity and Hype.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Between the gameplay, light show, dots, sounds and art it’s a great total immersive package. Love hearing the announcer and crowd cheering. Start of light cycle multiBall dot show and sound connected to an external sub is awesome. Watch the movie again and geek out even more! I bought an LE brand new back in the day and it still has the magic when I play it, which I can’t say about every pin.

then you drop on the remix code and get an mostly new sound package...ahhhh it is wonderful.

#30 3 years ago

the vocal, sound and music, way way better than an old rock themed machine IMO. kees it actually intense.

#31 3 years ago

Dont know why anyone is complaining about paying $6K for a Pro. That's what you're paying now for TMNT.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Dont know why anyone is complaining about paying $6K for a Pro. That's what you're paying now for TMNT.

street prices are low 5's on shipped nib. I think the issue is nib tron was sub 4 and now they are all used but fetching almost double. It is what it is when the market decides I suppose.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

street prices are low 5's on shipped nib. I think the issue is nib tron was sub 4 and now they are all used but fetching almost double. It is what it is when the market decides I suppose.

Low 5's?! Who's your Distro? $5700 seems to be the standard low price right now for a Turtles.

#34 3 years ago

Tron is the only title I have bought three different times. All it’s grate attributes have already been identified, but I think it is the second best sound track in pinball history behind only TNA. The theme integration is off the chart and the lit ramps really take it to the next level of light shows. If only it had full RBG insert lighting...

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Low 5's?! Who's your Distro? $5700 seems to be the standard low price right now for a Turtles.

hahah. you gotta go snoop around

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I don't think Tron was sub $4k NIB. I believe at that time they were around $4400 shipped and the LE was $5500 shipped. I was offered a Tron NIB back then for $4200 and that was a good guy price from someone who was trying to do me a favor.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I don't think Tron was sub $4k NIB. I believe at that time they were around $4400 shipped and the LE was $5500 shipped. I was offered a Tron NIB back then for $4200 and that was an insider price from someone who was trying to do me a favor.

I was basing it off of being a dumb ass and not buying one of the last LE’s for 4500 from a distributor. Not sure what they actually were

#38 3 years ago

Agree with above. Great sounds! Fast and fun....

Daft punk was great in the movie and even better in the game.

#39 3 years ago

I was quoted $5700 for an LE and $4400 for a Pro back when they were first released. I still have the emails where I was discussing quotes we each got with a pinball buddy.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I was quoted $5700 for an LE and $4400 for a Pro back when they were first released. I still have the emails where I was discussing quotes we each got with a pinball buddy.

There was a time I just missed where somebody was clearing them out stupid cheap. I wanna say ~$4K for a pro and a little over $5K for an LE NIB. Tron is immersive in a way most other pins are not if the theme means something to you. I'll never sell mine if I can help it...

#41 3 years ago

Why ask why?
Drink Bud Dry.

#42 3 years ago

I bought a Tron Pro with many mods to make it close to an LE without the code. It was a beautiful game and I loved the sounds and music (I love the movie Tron: Legacy). But it never hooked me and I sold fairly quickly without regret. I like the Batman 66 that replaced it much better. I see plenty of reasons to love this game but they weren't enough for me.

#43 3 years ago

Easy to understand, hard to master, feels great to play, games are quick & it becomes addicting to hit start over and over. Music/sound package is intense & unlike anything out there - Daft Punk + David Thiel = genius.

Price is high cuz LE is rare & awesome, there’s no Premium, and Pros are modded to be quasi-LEs. Also, many Trons were bought by the arcade community...so it’s one of those weird games where a good chunk of them don’t get passed around within the pin community.

#44 3 years ago

It's a good pin great for players It's quick and tough making you come back even though it is not very deep. I would assume it also does well for operators due to the quick playing nature of it and appeal to tournament players.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, if you've gotta ask, I don't know what to tell you. (PS - You're in good company: my wife and friend both don't like it. But what do they know???)
EDIT: I LOVE when I take shots of a beautiful machine and none of the playfield inserts are lit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks just like my old machine down to the blue start button - always like seeing the journey pins make around the country.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Looks just like my old machine down to the blue start button - always like seeing the journey pins make around the country.

It may well be...if you sold it to a guy in North Carolina. It already had chrome everything, but I added the lasercut rails and hinges. And this one's going to stay in Jersey for a while longer, no matter what a few naysayers might think.

#47 3 years ago

G’damn Stern just give us a vault already! It would print stacks for you.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It may well be...if you sold it to a guy in North Carolina. It already had chrome everything, but I added the lasercut rails and hinges. And this one's going to stay in Jersey for a while longer, no matter what a few naysayers might think.

Yep, that's it. The new rails and hinges look great. Not many out there with chrome aprons.

#49 3 years ago

I want a turn key Tron arcade game. Any leads on one?

#50 3 years ago

Life on the grid....love my LE..." a beatdown awaits, proceed accordingly"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Trade
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-why-the-price?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.