Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-1.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

After playing my NIB Tron for a week.I noticed black marks all over the playfield and balls.So i put a brand new set of good balls in the game.Same Sh*t all over the place.So after my observation,The culprit is the spinning disc pad.This game has more marks on it than my 10 year old LOTR.Was i suppose to clean the disc first?.And clean it with what?.Or is this a common thing for games with disc?.If so,I think this is my first and last game with a disc.After a week i need to take the ramps off and clean the loop already!

#2 10 years ago

There has been several post about this. It bothered me at first but now I have learned to deal with it. I take out the balls once a week and polish them. All of the rubber marks on balls comes right off and wont end up on playfield or ramps. I also put a coat of Blitz wax from pinball life on playfield and it really seemed to help diminish rubber marks left by ball.

#3 10 years ago

To add, I clean the disc using alcohol on a cloth with the disc spinning. It cleans it and gives it some crazy traction shooting the ball with a lot more juice. Don't put a lot of pressure on the disc, you don't need too.

#4 10 years ago

Design you a sicker and place it over the disc. Just like the one in POTCB. I bet if you were to really look at it. It's probably the same size as they are both Stern machines. I haven't experience to this problem is I can't quit adding mods long enough to play the darn thing.

#5 10 years ago

Switch to white rubber?

#6 10 years ago

I switched to white rubber and, although it helps a bit, the majority of the black comes off the disc as mentioned above.
A good hard wax on your playfield will keep it under control, but polish your balls regularly

#7 10 years ago

Same issue here. I think I have about 900 games on mine. It gets a bit better over time, but I still get the black marks. I just accept it as a minor annoyance on an otherwise great game. It needs a bit more cleaning than other machines in my house, but it is totally worth it.

#8 10 years ago

Remove the entire disc mech from under the pf and you can really scrub the pad, I use rubber cleaner from pinball life

Keeping wax on pf definitely helps control this issue

Easy access to outer loop is to just remove pf backboard (4screws) and its a snap.

Best of luck!

#9 10 years ago

Don't do what centerflank says, his disk was f'n crazy.

#10 10 years ago

Ha, it does have wicked spin on it when that rubber pad is grippy. I love when the balls shoots out fast and almost stops half way down the pf then changes direction.

#11 10 years ago

My tron gets dirty as well. I use CP-100 pinball cleaner/polish (works great on rubber parts as well as the PF and even balls). I find it much faster to apply then traditional polishes and just as effective. I use this on all my machines works wonders and its fast!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Ha, it does have wicked spin on it when that rubber pad is grippy. I love when the balls shoots out fast and almost stops half way down the pf then changes direction.

It's crazy when it does that. I've had it back all the way up and go through the Gem shot when I swear it was half way down the playfield. Totally looked like a magnet effect. That disc puts some wicked spin on the ball.

#14 10 years ago

I just bought a Millwax kit and need to give my Tron a proper first cleaning. Hooray for being a newb.

#15 10 years ago

I clearcoated my TronLE playfield, keep it waxed and cleaned the disk with Formula 409.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I clearcoated my TronLE playfield, keep it waxed and cleaned the disk with Formula 409.

A cc'd Tron with a wax coat probably plays faster than I can imagine.

#17 10 years ago

So fast that you don't even hear the ball rolling - I'm not kidding.

#18 10 years ago

she is such a dirty little slut

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So fast that you shoot the ball around the orbit and it makes a "Whoosh!" sound?

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I can't hear the ball either when I have the volume on 42(+) and the external subwoofer is literally massaging my entire lower body.

#21 10 years ago

It's not a solution, but I was worried about spin wrecking the playfield when I first got tron so I had the disc turned off for a week. Needless to say it sucked, lol.

#22 10 years ago

My POTC was worse than my Tron LE was. I had to use the mini vac set on it every two weeks....the entire playfield would get they crap on it from the disk. Funny thing was I know two other guys who had the same game with no problems. Go figure....

#23 10 years ago

I totally cleaned & shopped out my Tron to get it ready for the NW Pinball Show this past weekend. After 3 days on the show floor it looked like this. It was spotless on Friday morning.

image-1.jpegimage-1.jpeg

#24 10 years ago

My TRON LE gets easier the dirtier it gets, just got Portal twice in one game so I guess it's time for a cleaning!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from tomaszb1:

I just bought a Millwax kit and need to give my Tron a proper first cleaning. Hooray for being a newb.

Might want to get some education on wax just to be sure... while it is still debatable, with clear coats people tend to shy away from Millwax, whereas it is/was "the" wax pre-clear coat days, meaning most games 80's and before...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mill-wax-no-no-please-help

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

I totally cleaned & shopped out my Tron to get it ready for the NW Pinball Show this past weekend. After 3 days on the show floor it looked like this. It was spotless on Friday morning.

Someone needs to make a aftermarket disc pad that doesn't shed that black Sh*t.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Someone needs to make a aftermarket disc pad that doesn't shed that black Sh*t.

What are the replacements PBL has? same thing? Id be willing to change as long as it doesnt compromise the wicked spin.

#28 10 years ago

Put a TMNT pizza decal on there and be done with it. Same damn thing. Then you'd get a cool Pizza effect too and no dirt.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Put a TMNT pizza decal on there and be done with it. Same damn thing. Then you'd get a cool Pizza effect too and no dirt.

Wouldn't a pizza decal on Tron look cheesy (pun intended).

#30 10 years ago

Replacing the rubber disc with a decal will definitely slow down the action coming out of the disc. No thanks. Keep the disc clean, your playfield waxed and replace the black rubbers with white and your playfield shouldn't get super dirty like the example above. I use standard rubbing alcohol to clean my disc rubber. Turns the rag black every time.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Wouldn't a pizza decal on Tron look cheesy (pun intended).

Hey! Flynn has to eat too. It could be virtual Pizza.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

My son and I were the cause of a lot of that then. Thanks and sorry! Your game was magnificent. Gary Stern walked up while we were playing but decided on the EM next to it instead.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Benaar:

That is crazy! I've never had my Tron get that dirty even after weeks (months?) of play. I clean it about as often as my other pins. Maybe the rubber disc has changed since the first runs.

#34 10 years ago

Bought mine nib and put white rubbers on from the get go. It's gets dirtier than most pin at a much faster pace

#35 10 years ago

Granted, it was more or less constant play, but only 3 DAYS!!! That just doesn't seem right.

The rubber on the disc feels raw, like a bike tire. Even cleaning it I don't know how you could possibly keep it from rubbing off on the pinballs. I've sent the picture to Stern and asked if they'd consider sending me another disc.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

That is crazy! I've never had my Tron get that dirty even after weeks (months?) of play. I clean it about as often as my other pins. Maybe the rubber disc has changed since the first runs.

Maybe there is variability from disc to disc as to how much it "sheds". I had an LE for almost a year and it never got very dirty. However the Tron Pro I replaced it with gets those spotty black skid marks down the middle very quickly.

Based on comments by others it looks like some LE's have the issue as well so I don't think its an LE vs Pro issue. Also my replacment Pro was from the first build so its not a first build vs re-run parts difference.

The only difference between my pro and LE is that I never waxed my LE, but I did wax my Pro using Maguiars gold class caruba plus premium paste wax . Could the wax be getting on the ball and then re-acting with the disc rubber causing it to "shed".

Anyone have the excessive problem that didn't wax their playfield?

2 months later
#37 10 years ago

And I have a NIB Feb 2013 Run and it is doing the same thing. Driving me CRAZY but I love the game!

#38 10 years ago

Change out the factory balls for some good ones. I put silver jets in my Tron and have barely any black streaks anymore.

#39 10 years ago

I get the black marks all over mine too from the spinning disc. I thought it was just mine doing it. I'm going to try the alcohol on the disc. Thanks.

#40 10 years ago

Mine does not do it bad, but I do get a few black streaks, and it does get dirty slightly quicker than other games.

PBL standard balls, no wax.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Easy access to outer loop is to just remove pf backboard (4screws) and its a snap.

Holy wow. Never thought to do that. Owe you a beer!

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

Change out the factory balls for some good ones. I put silver jets in my Tron and have barely any black streaks anymore.

i have heard this is the solution too, im trying this

#43 10 years ago

Looks like I need to clean and wax my Tron. Just reading this has made me realize how lazy I've been on that. And, btw, I agree with the Blitz wax suggestion and not the Millwax. As a noob earlier this year, I picked up some Millwax and thought it was pretty good until I was doing a full shop/low-level resto on a HS and someone told me not to use Millwax and get the Blitz. What a great suggestion!

Since I've owned my Feb run Tron I have yet to clean the disc. Sounds like that will be my project in the next week or so.

Also, I have not gotten much black streaks at all to this point so hopefully my messing with the pin doesn't change that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-what-a-dirty-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.