11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ulat.jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I did a search to see if this 'match' had already been faught, but it drew a blank... so I guess not!

I do like the look of Tranformers a lot, but after having Tron, and being dissapointed in the strategy and depth department, I was wondering if anyone out there can give an informed opinion about how these two games compare from a gameplay point of view...

Also, does the LE stuff on the Tranformers add much? I had a couple of games on the pro (not enough to get a feel for the depth/strategy side) and I liked the feel/flow of the ramps, so unless the LE really adds something, I think I'd be drawn to the pro... although the trim on the LE is very cool though!!

Thanks for any input!

#2 11 years ago

Tron is 5546.67x better than Transformers. No contest IMO. I hate the layout on Transformers...

#3 11 years ago

I'm not really a big fan of either game personally but, if I had to choose (discarding the price aspect) I would go with a TronLE mostly due to the light show and appearance. TF is a tough one, I like the Starscream ramp but hate the Ratchet mini playfield because it just feels so pointless and breaks up the flow IMO. So, its a wash for Pro or LE on TF. If I ever owned any of them it would be a Tron Pro and I would add the EL lights and save about 4k.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If I ever owned any of them it would be a Tron Pro and I would add the EL lights and save about 4k.

+1

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I hate the layout on Transformers...

Is it just the layout that puts you off Transformers, or is there something about gameplay that makes Tron better?

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

If I ever owned any of them it would be a Tron Pro and I would add the EL lights and save about 4k.

Another advantage of Tron pro over LE (i.e. in addition to the $4k in your pocket!) is that the rebound shot from the TRON targets is more repeatable on the pro since they don't drop... so GEM is a bit easier

#6 11 years ago

I don't have enough time on TF to comment on the software. It did seem a little repetitive. Tron can be a tough drainer of a game. Which is what I love. Also the lit ramps on the LE are awesome

#7 11 years ago

Someone must have something to say about the strategy/depth side of things who knows both games... or are they both along the same lines... (i.e. make lights in central column(s) light up by doing modes (possibly simultaneously), along with a standard multiball, then get to the wizard?)... or is there more to Transformers?

#8 11 years ago

I own both T/F LE and Tron LE. I like both, but Tron is the best by far due to music, ramp light show, and flow. The Gem shot is really the only drawback on Tron, but still it's a keeper. It had been a long dry period without a third flipper, so Tron is refreshing in that.

T/F also has a "one more game" appeal and I've played it a lot lately, but it's a bit punishing. The sheer number of shots required to complete most modes goes beyond an attempt to be deep, to the point of inflicting pain. Many times I've completed half the modes but got trapped on OP multiball and been stuck there with little hope of progressing. The call outs are outstanding and toys are generous on T/F so it does have positives. Megatron multiball is awesome too.

While I hope both get a final polishing code, I think T/F needs it more than Tron.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I own both T/F LE and Tron LE. I like both, but Tron is the best by far due to music, ramp light show, and flow. The Gem shot is really the only drawback on Tron, but still it's a keeper. It had been a long dry period without a third flipper, so Tron is refreshing in that.
T/F also has a "one more game" appeal and I've played it a lot lately, but it's a bit punishing. The sheer number of shots required to complete most modes goes beyond an attempt to be deep, to the point of inflicting pain. Many times I've completed half the modes but got trapped on OP multiball and been stuck there with little hope of progressing. The call outs are outstanding and toys are generous on T/F so it does have positives. Megatron multiball is awesome too.
While I hope both get a final polishing code, I think T/F needs it more than Tron.

I own both LEs as well. I get asked the same question over and over and I keep giving the same answer. They are both entirely different pins. Its just like comparing IM and BTDK.
Both games are great for their own reasons. Tron you will most likely see the wizard mode a few times. TFs you will never see the wizard mode. (At least I know I won't)

I'd say put time on both and decide for yourself which you like better.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I did a search to see if this 'match' had already been faught, but it drew a blank... so I guess not!
I do like the look of Tranformers a lot, but after having Tron, and being dissapointed in the strategy and depth department, I was wondering if anyone out there can give an informed opinion about how these two games compare from a gameplay point of view...
Also, does the LE stuff on the Tranformers add much? I had a couple of games on the pro (not enough to get a feel for the depth/strategy side) and I liked the feel/flow of the ramps, so unless the LE really adds something, I think I'd be drawn to the pro... although the trim on the LE is very cool though!!
Thanks for any input!

Tron is my dream theme IMHO, but TF is a better game for me as it has depth and that is important to me. Tron is way too easy. It is not hard at all to get to Sea of Simulation and Portal...almost to the point of if you don't get too either of them in a game you are having a horrible game. That said, both games *could* and *should* be better than they are. Lyman is apparently going to work on the Tron code in the future and that could put it over the top.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

It is not hard at all to get to Sea of Simulation and Portal...almost to the point of if you don't get too either of them in a game you are having a horrible game.

Seriously??? In every game, or even every other game....you are kidding right.
Do you compete in the tournaments? Because I don't consider myself a horrible player, but it's quite a challenge to get to Sea of Simulation on a game of Tron. It doesn't happen regularly...more so irregularly.

Tron LE I love mine, it a great game. Great theme and great sounds and awesome light show.
And it's a beast to play...games are quick and brutal. It has great replay appeal.....CRAP!.....hit start and try again....CRAP! hit start try again...repeat.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Tron is my dream theme IMHO, but TF is a better game for me as it has depth and that is important to me. Tron is way too easy. It is not hard at all to get to Sea of Simulation and Portal...almost to the point of if you don't get too either of them in a game you are having a horrible game. That said, both games *could* and *should* be better than they are. Lyman is apparently going to work on the Tron code in the future and that could put it over the top.

Really? You must be one of those 'pinball wizards' i hear so much about. Tron kicks my ass all over the place on a regular basis. I nearly pee in my pants when i get sea of simulation (yeah ok, happened quite a bit) and i've only reached portal multiball twice in 4 months.

Still yet to play TF. I hear lots of whining about it, but it looks pretty decent to me. Hope to play it at length very soon....

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Tron is way too easy. It is not hard at all to get to Sea of Simulation and Portal...almost to the point of if you don't get too either of them in a game you are having a horrible game.

Sorry, I call BS on that one. Your game is set too easy then.

#14 11 years ago

I probably have less than 20 games on a Tron, and yet I've been only 1 shot away from Portal. Either I had a really fluke game, or it is indeed kind of easy.

#15 11 years ago

Sea of Simulation isn't that difficult really, my buddy owns it and I get to it every time I'm there, but not every game. I've never made it to Portal yet, I need to bring it home and get some real time on it to smash his high scores and get to portal haha...may trade him TSPP for a bit....

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Tron is way too easy. It is not hard at all to get to Sea of Simulation and Portal...almost to the point of if you don't get too either of them in a game you are having a horrible game.

What a crock!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I probably have less than 20 games on a Tron, and yet I've been only 1 shot away from Portal. Either I had a really fluke game, or it is indeed kind of easy.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Sea of Simulation? No way is getting to Portal remotely close to being "easy"!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

may trade him TSPP for a bit....

TSPP separates the pin-men from the pin-boys. Tron and TF not so much IMHO. (watch the feud begin in 3,2,1...)

#19 11 years ago

Tron is a tough game kwikimart....my buddies plays fast and HARD...brutal outlanes, especially the left one...

I'd actually say his is one of the harder pins I've ever played, I want to kick it every time I'm there haha....that's actually what I love about it

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Tron is a tough game kwikimart....my buddies plays fast and HARD...brutal outlanes, especially the left one...

Very true, but completing AI is like riding a bull for 10+ seconds.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I'd actually say his is one of the harder pins I've ever played, I want to kick it every time I'm there haha....that's actually what I love about it

Exactly. That's what gives it that "just one more game" pull.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

that outlane is a monster.
it is sick the amount of times the trajectory of my gem shot whips back down off the bumpers and hugs the left for a fast drain.
not to mention how the disc loves firing the ball down the left...

ps. kiwkemart needs to get a new pin!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

ps. kiwkemart needs to get a new pin!

Sigh... Yes I do. I like Tron, call me crazy, but I'm waiting until the price of the Tron Pro drops. Until then, it's not on my wishlist. Yes, it is a deep and challenging game, and so is TSPP. For those of you who are talking s*** about me and my TSPP need to understand that:

1. Yes, I brag a little about my only pin. It's the only one I own. Everyone brags about the pins they own, right? Same thing there.

2. TSPP was one of the few games that got me into pinball along with CFTBL and TZ. It is very special to me and many collectors that have one.

3. I'm not made of money. I worked my ass off for 6 months to get my TSPP and I'm very happy.

4. For those of you still reading this post, thank you for understanding.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

1 in 20... and you call that easy? And you didn't even make it to Portal? That's about right. Since when does 1 in 20 equate with easy? Easy would be 1 in 2.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

gweempose said:I probably have less than 20 games on a Tron, and yet I've been only 1 shot away from Portal. Either I had a really fluke game, or it is indeed kind of easy.
1 in 20... and you call that easy? And you didn't even make it to Portal? That's about right. Since when does 1 in 20 equate with easy? Easy would be 1 in 2.

If anyone can get to Portal in 1 of 20 games, I would say that they are a pretty damn good player, and if I could get to Portal 1 in 20 games, I'd sure as hell think it was a lot easier than I do!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

movingpictures said:ps. kiwkemart needs to get a new pin!
Sigh... Yes I do. I like Tron, call me crazy, but I'm waiting until the price of the Tron Pro drops. Until then, it's not on my wishlist. Yes, it is a deep and challenging game, and so is TSPP. For those of you who are talking s*** about me and my TSPP need to understand that:
1. Yes, I brag a little about my only pin. It's the only one I own. Everyone brags about the pins they own, right? Same thing there.
2. TSPP was one of the few games that got me into pinball along with CFTBL and TZ. It is very special to me and many collectors that have one.
3. I'm not made of money. I worked my ass off for 6 months to get my TSPP and I'm very happy.
4. For those of you still reading this post, thank you for understanding.

I don't think you have any reason to apologize for loving your pin!

Also don't think anyone was talking shit about you or your TSPP either. It's all good. TSPP is very highly regarded by the majority of pinheads (even if I am not a fan of it personally...I'd never dream of giving anyone crap about loving the pin)!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

+1

Enjoy your pins and don't let any of us discourage that.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If anyone can get to Portal in 1 of 20 games, I would say that they are a pretty damn good player, and if I could get to Portal 1 in 20 games, I'd sure as hell think it was a lot easier than I do!

Rob....want to say I'm a damn good player then?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

It has great replay appeal.....CRAP!.....hit start and try again....CRAP! hit start try again...repeat.

That is awesome.

#30 11 years ago

I have Tron LE and enjoy it, I have played a tf LE and really liked it as well. I'd have to lean towards Tron since I own it, however anytime I can play tf I do. If I had the room I'd buy a tf LE, I'm also a big tf toy fan from the cartoon not the movies.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Also don't think anyone was talking shit about you or your TSPP either. It's all good. TSPP is very highly regarded by the majority of pinheads (even if I am not a fan of it personally...I'd never dream of giving anyone crap about loving the pin)!

Maybe we just got off on the wrong foot.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Really? You must be one of those 'pinball Wizmans' i hear so much about.

There, I fixed it for you Russo.

Yeah,
If you are getting to Portal once in twenty games I'd say you are pretty damn good!
SOS isn't really too difficult to get started- it's FINISHING the damn thing that causes the grief!
Portal is definitely cool when you get there though; much like the others here, I hope Lyman takes it to the next level with the final code.
It definitely deserves another helping of awesomeness.

As for TF, I got about ten plays on it during my visit to Pinballz and I liked it enough to maybe pick up a pro down the road. The LE for me didn't really scream "BUY ME!!!", so I passed like a lot of others. I'm sure the LE offers some extra goodness with more plays but, I just thought that the Ironhide and Starscream extras could have been implemented better. Flow-wise the Pro seemed like more of what I wanted TF to be... Which was "FASTER!"

Choosing in a TF/TRON VS. thread is easy...
TRON all day long.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Are you sure you aren't talking about Sea of Simulation? No way is getting to Portal remotely close to being "easy"!

Portal is NOT easy at all. I have had some monster games on it, and have never got portal. I believe I was one or two shots away from it today though...so close!
Now, talking wizard v wizard, Tranformers is 5546.67x harder to get. I was 1 or 2 away from portal, closest I've been in TF is roughly 120 shots maybe? That's what you call a big ass difference.

Quoted from NimblePin:

Ironhide and Starscream extras could have been implemented better. Flow-wise the Pro seemed like more of what I wanted TF to be... Which was "FASTER!"

I was big into pro over LE TF at first...but jesus that right ramp is so much harder ion the pro. Brutally harder.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Krajkerjac:

RobT said:
Rob....want to say I'm a damn good player then?

I don't think I could ever bring myself to admitting anything remotely close to that on a public forum.

Is this where you reply by posting the story of you putting up more than 100 million points on your first ball ever on IM?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

but jesus that right ramp is so much harder on the pro. Brutally harder.

I guess that is why I love the GEM shot so much. It is a technical shot for sure; it feels like a real achievement when you get her started and lit solid without any ricochets. Especially with the three bank target in the "up" position!

I guess that was one of the reasons why I liked the right ramp on the TF Pro over the LE...
Mainly, I just wanted the ball back!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I guess that is why I love the GEM shot so much. It is a technical shot for sure; it feels like a real achievement when you get her started and lit solid without any ricochets. Especially with the three bank target in the "up" position!

Well you and Gem can go *&&% off together!!!

Yeah that shot is rough for sure. Super hard with the recognizer up!

Quite frankly, i would buy the LE TF and rip off the stupid ironsides playfield thing...totally pointless.
The real problem with the LE is the ramp switches are so far down...they don't register quick enough.

#37 11 years ago

That is what this baby is for!

ulat.jpgulat.jpg

#38 11 years ago

What is that for?

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

NimblePin said:

Well you and Gem can go *&&% off together!!!
Yeah that shot is rough for sure. Super hard with the recognizer up!
Quite frankly, i would buy the LE TF and rip off the stupid ironsides playfield thing...totally pointless.
The real problem with the LE is the ramp switches are so far down...they don't register quick enough.

I did that to mine, well the control gate assembly. Plays WAAAY better.

#40 11 years ago

I own and like both these games. So as far as these two games go, neither is really deep, in my opinion. However, if I had to rate one on depth vs the other, transformers wins. As far as fun, Tron probably wins. Transformers I'd say is deeper because you will need to play for a very long time and accomplish a crap load of stuff to actually beat it.

In tron, you have to light each of the center lights up (tron, clue, quorra, gem, etc). You have to do certain things to get the mode started, then complete it. The ball times are extremely short. The game is a fast game, good for two player. Game times are very short and quick. The flow is really good, the upper flipper adds a lot to the game. There is a lot of randomness to Tron and you will not always have control of the ball. The game forces you to take shots that will result in a random ball return even if you make the shot. The game is very difficult. You may hit sea of simulation often but not portal. So far, none of us have gotten to portal yet. (And we are not total dumb players. We have all ruled the universe in AFM, beaten CV, TOTAN, and several of our other games).

Transformers is not nearly as fast paced, but still pretty quick. The LE moves much better due to the orbit shots that flow. The ramps are a little slower but not much. The orbits really make the difference vs the pro. In any event, in TF, the rules are the same. You hit the lit shots until a mode starts, hit more lit shots until you complete the mode or your time runs out. Light all the mode lights up and move to the wizard mode (sentinel prime for half way, battle for cybertron for end). I've gotten to sentinel prime a couple times, never battled cybertron yet. Ball times are long. I've had 30-40 minute games in TF. Longest game in Tron was around 10 mins. Transformers is not a good multiplayer game. You'd be waiting for your turn too long.

As far as theme, I'd say that Tron implements the theme better than Transformers. Both have excellent sound and adding a sub and shaker really enhances both.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

What is that for?

It's for all those pesky switches that bug you. Slings, gates, Balrogs...
Say goodbye to that delay if you so choose to.

Here ya' go!
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518&parent=0
One of my favorite "must have" pin-tools around!

#42 11 years ago

Are you saying you install new switches onto the ramps at a different location?

#43 11 years ago

No, just start the engagement/contact sooner by bending the leaf up to match the ball's timing on the ramp. (Using the pictured tool.)
Lubing the ball gate lightly (spinners too), can make a bit of difference as well.

#44 11 years ago

ok so that doesn't solve what I'm talking about. in a pro TF, the switches for the ramps are physically higher up. The LE they are lower because of the toys. So when hitting a lit ramp shot in a LE TF, it doesn't count the shot until it comes down the ramp a bit. That's what i can't stand!

#45 11 years ago

Ahhh, I see.
My bad, I thought it was an "initial" gate delay issue. (Going up the ramp.)
Don't mind me then...

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I own and like both these games. So as far as these two games go, neither is really deep, in my opinion. However, if I had to rate one on depth vs the other, Transformers wins. As far as fun, Tron probably wins. Transformers I'd say is deeper because you will need to play for a very long time and accomplish a crap load of stuff to actually beat it.
In tron, you have to light each of the center lights up (tron, clue, quorra, gem, etc). You have to do certain things to get the mode started, then complete it. The ball times are extremely short. The game is a fast game, good for two player. Game times are very short and quick. The flow is really good, the upper flipper adds a lot to the game. There is a lot of randomness to Tron and you will not always have control of the ball. The game forces you to take shots that will result in a random ball return even if you make the shot. The game is very difficult. You may hit sea of simulation often but not portal. So far, none of us have gotten to portal yet. (And we are not total dumb players. We have all ruled the universe in AFM, beaten CV, TOTAN, and several of our other games).
Transformers is not nearly as fast paced, but still pretty quick. The LE moves much better due to the orbit shots that flow. The ramps are a little slower but not much. The orbits really make the difference vs the pro. In any event, in TF, the rules are the same. You hit the lit shots until a mode starts, hit more lit shots until you complete the mode or your time runs out. Light all the mode lights up and move to the wizard mode (sentinel prime for half way, battle for cybertron for end). I've gotten to sentinel prime a couple times, never battled cybertron yet. Ball times are long. I've had 30-40 minute games in TF. Longest game in Tron was around 10 mins. Transformers is not a good multiplayer game. You'd be waiting for your turn too long.
As far as theme, I'd say that Tron implements the theme better than Transformers. Both have excellent sound and adding a sub and shaker really enhances both.

Very nice, well said post. I'm still dying to play a tron. Gotta get off my ass and drive to phof soon.

#47 11 years ago

Markmon explained the games perfectly, well said..

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Ahhh, I see.
My bad, I thought it was an "initial" delay issue. (Going up the ramp.)
Don't mind me then...

Yeah it's coming down. That SOB Starscreams shots are always moving around you know? So then you gotta factor in the slow ass time it takes to gets down the ramp to activate him. Not like the worst deal breaker or anything...just something i noticed between the 2.

#49 11 years ago

I own TRON pro and TF le and I love them both both are GREAT games! dont listen to this people talking crap about TF le its a great game and so is TRON

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Tron is my dream theme IMHO, but TF is a better game for me as it has depth and that is important to me. .

Depth is such a realtive term. Is TF deep? Does "shoot the lit arrows" endlessly make it deep? It's a fun game, a challenging game, and i played it 30 times today and had fun everytime. But I gotta think it's one of the shallowest games around isn't it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
12,028 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
6,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monrovia, MD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 49.99
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-vs-transformers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.