• 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by swampfire
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Black Suit.jpg
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Any thoughts on which pin is more fun as long term keeper? Spider-Man is the Stern that got me excited about pinball again, but Tron is pretty fun too. I'm thinking about shaking up the DMD collection a little, and both are near the top of my list.

No poll, because I'm more interested in your thoughts than in a Pinside referendum.

I'm leaning toward SM because I have 2 Borgs (MET, IM), and no Ritchie.

#2 9 years ago

Spider Man is definitely the more complex game, but I can't really make this decision. The price of spiderman vs. a NIB Tron (twice for me...) was a no-brainer. Tron was the theme that should never have happened.

#3 9 years ago

I have them both, don't think you can go wrong with either, if I had to pick it would be Tron by a slight bit, I think it has better sound/music and call outs although both are very good/great.

I like the spinning disc area more than the Sandman drop bank which is in a similar area. I like the third flipper shots on Tron, just like the iner loops such as Quarra and Gem.

What I like about SM is that it's got 3 ramps, plus it's got magnet and neat web slinger up kickers and seems to be more content than Tron.

Hard to pick a winner here but overall I just prefer Tron.

#4 9 years ago

I like Tron more, but SM might be a better change of pace for your collection. It's more traditionally mode/story based and will take a long and amazing game to get to the wizard mode. Tron's a bit more like IM in that you're collecting the insert ladder to work your way toward the wizard mode, and if you have a great game - it's doable in a shorter amount of time.

If you're really digging the code style of IM and Met, go Tron. If you want something different, go Spidey!

#5 9 years ago

You can get to Portal in 10 minutes, EASY.

It will be a *MINIMUM* half hour to do Spiderman for anyone but the top 20 players in the world, IMO. I've been one arrow off of Superhero twice now...talk about epically pissed off..

#7 9 years ago

I had about 1500 games on my SM when I sold it. I loved having it but I don't miss it at all. Tron is still going strong. There is no doubt that SM rules are deeper, but ultimately what killed it for me in comparison to tron was the sound. There is nothing wrong with the SM sound other than it is extremely grating, but tron just pulls it off so incredibly well.
And a well executed Gem shot never gets old.

#8 9 years ago

SM easily for long term enjoyment.

#9 9 years ago

easy...spiderman !!!

#10 9 years ago

Both the games are great. My opinion:

Tron has a rule set like ironman as rarehero said. The sound package and spinning disk at the center make the game. It is a lot of fun, challenging, satisfying.

Spider-Man has a very deep ruleset with an added ramp to shoot at. Spider-Man has some of the best rules ever written for pinball. There is a ton of strategy and you ways feel like you're working towards multiple things. Several satisfying shots and great flow. Getting to super hero wizard mode is going to be a real challenge. But once there completing it is going to be on a league of its own (6 stage wizard mode). There is an obtainable and rewarding mini wizard mode (battle royale) where you are fighting all four villains at once.

I love both games but Spider-Man is a strong win here for me.

#11 9 years ago

I really wish my family would let me sell LOTR and buy SM, but I don't think that's going to happen. SM seems to be a great drop-in replacement for LOTR in terms of rules and depth. LOTR was great when I bought in 2004, but now I'm just tired of the same epic journey.

#12 9 years ago

I would choose SM or LOTR but not both. Unless you have a bar stool made by La-Z-Boy. Long ball times!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I really wish my family would let me sell LOTR and buy SM, but I don't think that's going to happen. SM seems to be a great drop-in replacement for LOTR in terms of rules and depth. LOTR was great when I bought in 2004, but now I'm just tired of the same epic journey.

SM has a better layout...MUCH smoother than LOTR, but LOTR has a better Ruleset (barely). Both are creme de la creme in rules.

#14 9 years ago

I have both and was just thinking the other day which one I would sell first if forced to, and it was pretty hard, but I think Spider-Man is probably the winner. They offer very different experiences, so having both is great, but I think Spider-Man gives you more variety overall.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think Spider-Man gives you more variety overall.

This is very true, SM has a lot of 'extra missions', while Tron much like IM is very much the same few missions. But what I like about Tron and IM is that they are straightforward but very fun.

#17 9 years ago

Spiderman is a game that got LOTS of people into people recently, as it's a cool flowing game, good theme, and it's easy as hell.

I prefer Tron in a big, big way. It's just more fun. But everybody seems to like SM so it's a safe bet.

#18 9 years ago

Spiderman > TRON

Tron LE > Spiderman

Spiderman Black > Tron LE

... you get the picture???

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

There is no doubt that SM rules are deeper, but ultimately what killed it for me in comparison to tron was the sound. There is nothing wrong with the SM sound other than it is extremely grating,

Has anyone messed around with Spider-Man in the Pinball Browser and replaced the music with the Danny Elfman movie score? I got in a fight with Steve Ritchie on RGP once about the music...I was hoping the game would use the movie score...but Ritchie doesn't like Danny Elfman's music & wanted the original "metal" music that David Thiel composed for the game. While I eventually got used to the pin music...I'd love to see how the pin would sound with the original movie score.

#21 9 years ago

Tron, all day, every day. Something about it. I do wish more of the original movie (like art style) would have been there. I want one of these so bad but no way I can afford $6k. I would however trade FH and DW for Tron.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Has anyone messed around with Spider-Man in the Pinball Browser and replaced the music with the Danny Elfman movie score? I got in a fight with Steve Ritchie on RGP once about the music...I was hoping the game would use the movie score...but Ritchie doesn't like Danny Elfman's music & wanted the original "metal" music that David Thiel composed for the game. While I eventually got used to the pin music...I'd love to see how the pin would sound with the original movie score.

Doesn't like Danny Elfman's music?! That's the craziest thing I've heard all day.

#23 9 years ago

Can't go wrong with either one--both great games. I'm partial to Tron. It is worth turning on just to listen to the music.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I remember that discussion LOL! I agree the Elfman music would be cool.

On topic, I down with Spiderman. I have one. Only game I bought NIB. Love and really want a Tron someday, but not enough to sell any of my top Sterns: Spiderman, LOTR, and TSPP. Tron is a great game, but Spidy is just a bit better.

#25 9 years ago

Tron is a good pin for comparing to IM and MET. MET is a little better, IM a little worse ... all are close and the best one of those depends on your own preference. Since you already own two, SM offers a much different option. Steve Ritchie design, SM is much more game than BK (which also has great flow but is not as complex as a dmd). Regardless of which game is better, SM is more different from your current collection.

SM is a fantastic game - classic theme, solid build, easy to understand rules, plenty of flowing goodness. The negative factor is long ball times (like LOTR), but nobody would accuse it of being similar to LOTR. If most of your time playing SM was before later code and you still have fond memories of the game, you are going to love the game now. I can see you getting a SM now, and someday later convincing the family to let LOTR go.

The journey is dangerous and often difficult. Those encountered along the way (family) and their expectations must be managed....

#26 9 years ago

trons clunky gem shot blew the entire game for me. I really wanted to like tron. depth of SM > Tron as well

#27 9 years ago

Black Suit.jpgBlack Suit.jpg

#28 9 years ago

Had both, sold both, bought SM again. If you didn't have IM I would probably vote for Tron, but I think SM is the better choice. It is a long player like your LOTR, but has no similarities to LOTR in terms of layout or feeling.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

trons clunky gem shot blew the entire game for me. I really wanted to like tron. depth of SM > Tron as well

Nah, Gem isn't clunky, it's genius! Very tough shot to hit, but satisfying every time you do. I'd really like to ask Borg if this was his intention or just dumb luck--same with the Gem switch. Best tricky plunge shot in pinball to hit that switch...

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You can get to Portal in 10 minutes, EASY.
It will be a *MINIMUM* half hour to do spiderman for anyone but the top 20 players in the world, IMO. I've been one arrow off of Superhero twice now...talk about epically pissed off..

....or 2 years and I have yet to make it.

#31 9 years ago

Get a williams wpc.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

If I hear "Path of the Dead" one more time I will kill myself.

A guy had a SMB, that he just picked up, sitting in his car outside during the party today. When Dan and I heard about it we were like "lets take that bad boy inside and fire her up now!".

#33 9 years ago

I bought tron NIB. Put in about 4000 games total with a lot of 4 player games. Love the game. Will never sell it. Haven't beat portal yet. Got 2 add a balls only.

Just got SM a couple months ago. Likely not going anywhere. Great game. Not been to super hero wizard mode yet. Just learned tonight that you not only have to beat each villain 3 times but you have to start all 5 rounds as well. That will be a great challenge.

I pick both

#34 9 years ago

SM used to be my favorite game of all-time until I realized you can simply backhand the Doc Ock shot to start MB at will as often as you want. Major buzz kill. Tron does not have a simiar flaw, so its my choice.

#35 9 years ago

Owned both still have sm,I don't get the hype over tron to be honest

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

SM used to be my favorite game of all-time until I realized you can simply backhand the Doc Ock shot to start MB at will as often as you want.

So that made all the other goals and modes go away and you were doomed to infinitely play for Doc Ock MBs?

I do understand what you're saying, but a LOT of pins have shots like that and are still great games. I can backhand the sword ramp in LotR with 95% accuracy, doesn't reduce the fun at all, it's just one shot of many.

#38 9 years ago

That Tron can even be discussed in the same breath as Spidey is a true testament to the quality of Tron. SM is such a complete, satisfying pinball experience. Hard to think of a game that ties it all together so well. I havent owned Tron yet but many say its also a perfectly integrated game. I personally think SM is much better based on gameplay, rules, fun, etc.

#39 9 years ago

I had a chance to play both Tron and SM in our state tournament yesterday. SM was set up with black lightning flippers, so it was extra hard to play. I had a dismal 13M game on it. My opponent picked Tron, and we both had 30M+ games, and I think I won by 450 points.

But in spite of all that, I still preferred SM for theme, rules and layout.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had a chance to play both Tron and SM in our state tournament yesterday. SM was set up with black lightning flippers, so it was extra hard to play. I had a dismal 13M game on it. My opponent picked Tron, and we both had 30M+ games, and I think I won by 450 points.
But in spite of all that, I still preferred SM for theme, rules and layout.

Was the post in between the flippers there?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Was the post in between the flippers there?

No. Very tough setup.

#42 9 years ago

No, the SM was set up for fast and furious play. I didn't mind the lightning flippers actually and the game itself is fine. I just haven't been able to get as into it as I'd like. The sound package on TRON really pulls me in. SM wasn't set up very loud but I'm not as into the sound on that game. Lots of great shots, but it just doesn't do it for me. The only slam I have against Tron is the crap-ass photoshop playfield art, the cabinet looks great, but man, the playfield art could've been so much more.

#43 9 years ago

A Stern heavyweight smack down. It's truly too close to call.

#44 9 years ago

in not sure why some of you are bucketing Metallica rules in with iron man and tron. Metallica rules are not simple at all and there is way more to do in Metallica than in tron or ironman. I'd argue Metallica is more Spider-Man like than tron of ironman like. The tron rules aren't all Lyman. It's a Lyman Lonnie coop and the rules are similar to ironman and avatar. Decent ruleset for shorter ball times. I think the strategy in Metallica is in a much higher class than tron, ironman, or avatar. Metallica rules and strategy feels more like Spider-Man rules to me.

I also like Spider-Man ruleset better than lord of the rings (comparison made above). It's the perfect blend of strategy, massive stacking, modes, and difficulty.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

spiderman is a game that got LOTS of people into people recently, as it's a cool flowing game, good theme, and it's easy as hell.

Really? So you've gotten to and beaten superhero multiple times?? Longer ball times does not make for an easy game.

#45 9 years ago

SM and Tron ( mine's an LE) are definitely different.....but both awesome machines.

I'd have a hard time choosing.....owned SM twice as long, but still never tire of it....definitely longer gameplay, but I'm far from beating it.

TRON is brutal, in a " push start again, what just happened?"kind of way....

both keepers, for sure...mark

#46 9 years ago

I own completely moded versions of both and they are keepers. SM usually has longer ball times, but
there is something about Tron that is addicting . I have sound kits in each which makes them more fun.
Tron sounds are better than most I have.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

....or 2 years and I have yet to make it.

I've been trying for over two years. One of our two good pin locations has a Spiderman that usually plays pretty nice, and even with extra balls I never got to Superhero...

But I did on Saturday, at the TX State Champs, with no extra balls to boot. Finished over 500 million. So finally, I can scratch that one off my list, and go back to obsessing over Valinor and TSPP wizard modes.

#48 9 years ago

Yeah, I exactly agree with just about everything in this thread... However, if I owned a SM, I would have to make it much more difficult than it shipped, for it to be consistantly fun for me. Last location SM I played I put up 380mil and although it was fun, it was quite an exhausting experience. Once that takes away from the fun factor, it's time for me to make the game harder in some way to reduce ball times.

#49 9 years ago

They are both awesome. Can't go wrong either way, though Tron is a bit harder to find.

#50 9 years ago

I love the music on Tron. Just the best. I've never played spider man so I cannot judge the two.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 25.95
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-vs-spider-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.