Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 113 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Yipykya
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

138621578364.png
20150124_184828.jpg
Tron.png
tag_1384488631.jpg
image-776.jpg
tron-premium-2.jpg
familyguy-herbert-1.jpg
200_s.gif
deadhorse.jpg
image.jpg
untitled.png
Stern_SAM-SPIKE_SYSTEM.jpg
tron-girls1.jpg
image-978.jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 4 years ago

I traded my NIB TRON LE plus a wheelbarrel of money a few years ago to get a MM and kinda wish that I did not. MM is fine, but wish I would have kept my LE. Oh well..

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

The reason IMVE was made is because of the failed home version of IM that, unlike other Stern home games, had a near identical version of the playfield as the commercial machine.
Stern had playfields remaining (probably whole machines left too) and decided a few tweaks could give them another run of IM Pro's easy.
Not the case with Tron
Definitely not the case with LOTR.
Maybe a VE happens, but with the pin titles coming out in 2015, I sincerely doubt another VE is coming soon.

There were only two classic versions IM and BDK and they both had the same playfield as the coinop version, just stripped of a few features. The Pin was another thing entirely which used a totally different playfield etc.

They made IMVE because of demand, if it was because of left over playfields from the classic version they must have a BDKVE coming out soon.

#103 4 years ago

we don't need a Tron VE.
we need a completely NEW designed Tron themed Pin !
like this one, the Tron Prequel --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-prequel-pinball

Just consider how many themes have multiple pin designs...
elvira,
star trek,
SMB,
Simpsons,
Indiana Jones,
etc...

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I traded my NIB TRON LE plus a wheelbarrel of money a few years ago to get a MM and kinda wish that I did not. MM is fine, but wish I would have kept my LE. Oh well..

I feel your pain, sold my HUO LOTR to help fund the Avengers LE. Biggest mistake I've made in this hobby, selling one of their best pins for one of the cheapest biggest turds they've ever made.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I feel your pain, sold my HUO LOTR to help fund the Avengers LE. Biggest mistake I've made in this hobby, selling one of their best pins for one of the cheapest biggest turds they've ever made.

Sorry to hear of that, have only played AV pro, but it was not fun.

I bought XMLE without ever playing either game, was sorry at the time but now I quite like the game, it has really grown on me. I also bought Tron pro without ever playing the game but I really love it, I was going by so many people that loved the game here on Pinside.

But I wanted AVLE (Hulk) but after XMLE, I was not going to buy an unknown game without playing it. I did buy STLE after playing and liking the pro. But from now on, I won't buy an unknown game until I play it first.

I always hear a lot of people who praise LOTR, I have played several times, didn't really think it was that great. But it may be that I didn't understand the rules. Whenever I played it, I was just trying to make shots or start a mode but didn't understand what I was supposed to do.

If Stern did re-make LOTR VE, I would surely buy one just so that I could play it in a home environment and dig into the rules.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

we don't need a Tron VE.
we need a completely NEW designed Tron themed Pin !
like this one, the Tron Prequel --> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-prequel-pinball
Just consider how many themes have multiple pin designs...
Elvira,
Star Trek,
SMB,
Simpsons,
Indiana Jones,
etc...

Maybe when the next movie comes out. I'd love a sequel pin to Tron.

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It would not work. At the LEAST it would need a completely different connector setup, and more likley, it would need a total re-write of the lamp status detection code since there is no "lamp matrix" to read under the Spike system...they're using a serial bus.

This is an interesting point. If Stern releases a Tron VE, chances are it will be using the new Spike system.

If Tron VE does not come with lighted ramps, who would buy one knowing that the current ramp mod would need a major overhaul and might never work with it?

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

It would not work. At the LEAST it would need a completely different connector setup, and more likley, it would need a total re-write of the lamp status detection code since there is no "lamp matrix" to read under the Spike system...they're using a serial bus.

You are right, but I think there will be a pretty straightforward solution not long after release. You can determine the mode through lamp or flasher sequence, so even if getting the serial data is too hard (Eli today is grabbing data as it comes TO the Power driver board), you can always get to the power that's actually driving the lights or flashers. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution that will work for SPIKE.

-Wes

Post edited by copperpot: Missed a )

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've got a modded out pro, it's already in my living room.....

#110 4 years ago

?

I have a tiny condo. I mean, if you want to put your pins in the bathroom, or kitchen go right ahead...

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from copperpot:

You are right, but I think there will be a pretty straightforward solution not long after release. You can determine the mode through lamp or flasher sequence, so even if getting the serial data is too hard (Eli today is grabbing data as it comes TO the Power driver board), you can always get to the power that's actually driving the lights or flashers. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution that will work for SPIKE.
-Wes
Post edited by copperpot: Missed a )

Only three people know the answer to this. Pam posts here infrequently, the guy (I can't remember his name...Martin? Sorry!) doesn't post here at all that I know of, and Eli hasn't been very active lately.... 8 posts in the last month.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Only three people know the answer to this. Pam posts here infrequently, the guy (I can't remember his name...Martin? Sorry!) doesn't post here at all that I know of, and Eli hasn't been very active lately.... 8 posts in the last month.

But what about Muppets, Angry Birds and Jaws? The guys with inside sources here nailed all of them!
They were also all telling us about WWE as soon as it showed up on the floor at CES. They're like wizards or something.

#113 4 years ago

Martin and I have looked at the new protocol a tiny bit, but only as basic investigation. If there was another TRON run and it used the new system it would be a fairly major redesign and we'd have to decide if it was worth the effort based on how large the run was. We certainly don't have a new version all ready to go on the hope they'll make more.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from ecurtz:

Martin and I have looked at the new protocol a tiny bit, but only as basic investigation. If there was another TRON run and it used the new system it would be a fairly major redesign and we'd have to decide if it was worth the effort based on how large the run was. We certainly don't have a new version all ready to go on the hope they'll make more.

No Eli mod would strike a "5 point-Palm exploding heart technique" to Tron VE!
image.jpg

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

No Eli mod would strike a "5 point-Palm exploding heart technique" to Tron VE!

maybe it will come stock by Stern or a mod you can purchase ie. a Premium VE?

#116 4 years ago

VE's in the immediate future may not be running on SPIKETM systems. I'm sure Stern has plenty of SAM boards any other legacy hardware they'll be happy to use up first.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

VE's in the immediate future may not be running on SPIKETM systems. I'm sure Stern has plenty of SAM boards any other legacy hardware they'll be happy to use up first.

That's the only way you'd see any VE on a SAM board. Leftover stock.

#118 4 years ago

SAM isn't going away anytime soon. Star trek, mustang and Metallica are still being produced. Has it been confirmed that TWD is switching over to Spike?

Edit: How can someone disagree that Star Trek, mustang and Metallica all run on the SAM system?? Luckily most of us are adults on this site.

#119 4 years ago

Tron vault or not the Only way I'd part with my tricked out Tron is if I could pick up a cherry Tron LE to replace it.

#122 4 years ago

Can't see a game with 5 runs already requiring rerunning as a VE. It's more for games that had limited runs for which there's demand such as Family Guy.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Sorry to hear of that, have only played AV pro, but it was not fun.
I bought XMLE without ever playing either game, was sorry at the time but now I quite like the game, it has really grown on me. I also bought Tron pro without ever playing the game but I really love it, I was going by so many people that loved the game here on Pinside.
But I wanted AVLE (Hulk) but after XMLE, I was not going to buy an unknown game without playing it. I did buy STLE after playing and liking the pro. But from now on, I won't buy an unknown game until I play it first.
I always hear a lot of people who praise LOTR, I have played several times, didn't really think it was that great. But it may be that I didn't understand the rules. Whenever I played it, I was just trying to make shots or start a mode but didn't understand what I was supposed to do.
If Stern did re-make LOTR VE, I would surely buy one just so that I could play it in a home environment and dig into the rules.

So you owned and didn't like XMLE...but played it more - gave it a real chance - and do now. And you won't get an AVLE because you didn't like the pro the VERY few times you played it? You're kind of contradicting your own personal experience.

Play before you buy is always smart...but "play the game long enough to know better" is the only real guarantee. I'm not as special as the clairvoyants and "know thyself" masters that know without playing or after 5 games if they like a game or not. I need 25 - 50 games, and find, thankfully, that most machines have quite a lot to offer.

I've probably played Tron on route 50 times now. It's no "guaranteed winner" for me, but is worth a shot someday. A NIB VE with lighted ramps would probably get my $. Otherwise I'll wait as long as it takes for pre-owned prices to stabilize to something lower than they are now.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

It will be here.

Excellent, Its a good thing when people who want one will be able to get a NIB at a "fairly" reasonable price. Also, I am looking forward to picking one up down the road on the secondary market which this should help soften.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

The reason IMVE was made is because of the failed home version of IM that, unlike other Stern home games, had a near identical version of the playfield as the commercial machine.
Stern had playfields remaining (probably whole machines left too) and decided a few tweaks could give them another run of IM Pro's easy.
Not the case with Tron
Definitely not the case with LOTR.
Maybe a VE happens, but with the pin titles coming out in 2015, I sincerely doubt another VE is coming soon.

I think this is largely the truth of the matter

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So you owned and didn't like XMLE...but played it more - gave it a real chance - and do now. And you won't get an AVLE because you didn't like the pro the VERY few times you played it? You're kind of contradicting your own personal experience.
Play before you buy is always smart...but "play the game long enough to know better" is the only real guarantee. I'm not as special as the clairvoyants and "know thyself" masters that know without playing or after 5 games if they like a game or not. I need 25 - 50 games, and find, thankfully, that most machines have quite a lot to offer.
I've probably played Tron on route 50 times now. It's no "guaranteed winner" for me, but is worth a shot someday. A NIB VE with lighted ramps would probably get my $. Otherwise I'll wait as long as it takes for pre-owned prices to stabilize to something lower than they are now.

You make a very valid point, the AV pro I played was in Disney arcade, very dirty, cube didn't spin free either some lights out etc... So true I didn't give it a fair chance, that's a valid point.

But you will agree that pins do take up room and money at the beginning back 3 years ago I had room/money for adding 6 games as I was selling 4 older games.

But my space/money got used up by XMLE, Tron, ACDc Premium, and SM. So as later games like Met and Avengers and ST and IMVE came out it was not as easy to pick for my last 1-2 spots. So I liked ST, I liked IM and I didn't like my admittedly limited play of AV coupled with severe and constant poor reviews for AV (right or wrong). Maybe I could like AV but wich of my games would I have it replace or would I buy AV instead of SM or ST or IM? When push comes to shove I'd prefer a higher rated game because if I do not like the game after owning it its a heck of a lot easier to sell a SM or Tron than sell a AV. Of course if I got a screaming deal on AVLE it wouldn't matter but if I had bought it NIB I'd be buried on resale.

So if space/money was unlimited I'd have more games maybe AV but likely not as I'd probably rather Metallica, and some older B/W games or LOTR.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

I totally believe you... seems like you always have pretty good skinfo.
the way I look at it the more trons out there in the wild and in collectors hands the better

tron-girls1.jpg 101 KB

that's the hottest version of flag football i've ever seen

#128 4 years ago

Tron VE is most likely going to be run at the end of summer. It seems that Stern is going to run one VE every year.

#129 4 years ago

I always love threads like these.
You have one side absolutely claiming that something is coming, that they have concrete knowledge, no question.
You have the other side asking for proof when there can never be any since Stern doesn't necessarily provide that info in advance.

And then you have everyone else sitting back munching on popcorn.

#130 4 years ago

Here's my question:

Why in the hell would Stern re-run a pro version of the game when Pro's are prevalent.

If anything, Stern would make a near guaranteed killing by running a Premium version of the game and taking the liberty of charging a Premium price. It would be a kick in the nuts to LE owners and their inflated $$ value. BUT...when people buy a Tron Pro, they immediately turn around and start spending cash to get a Tron LE experience.

Stern would be foolish not to cash in on this and make a premium run with new graphics, etc.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I always love threads like these.
You have one side absolutely claiming that something is coming, that they have concrete knowledge, no question.
You have the other side asking for proof when there can never be any since Stern doesn't necessarily provide that info in advance.

And then you have everyone else sitting back munching on popcorn.

It cracks me up so bad. Especially since both sides are adamant that they have proof to the contrary.

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Here's my question:
Why in the hell would Stern re-run a pro version of the game when Pro's are prevalent.
If anything, Stern would make a killing by running a Premium version of the game and taking the liberty of charging a Premium price. It would be a kick in the nuts to LE owners and their inflated $$ value. BUT...when people buy a Tron Pro, they immediately turn around and start spending cash to get a TRON LE experience.
Stern would be foolish not to cash in on this and make a premium run with new graphics, etc.

just writing this so you know the tron le was the premium. look into it. therefore no vault will be like the LE. stern said so. my guess is that it will be a pro with leds. which is fine. maybe new art/trans. it will not have the following so keep dreaming: (please add to list whatever i forgot)

daft punk multi*
callouts not found on pro code*
drops*
moving recognizer *
unique playfield art*
3D trans
lit ramps tied to original code as intended by design team
chrome
plaque and cert*

*can't be had on pro or vault no matter what you try

#133 4 years ago

^ chrome armor, traditional latch system, metal PF support brackets, and metal apron.

#134 4 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

just writing this so you know the TRON LE was the premium. look into it. therefore no vault will be like the LE. stern said so. my guess is that it will be a pro with leds. which is fine. maybe new art/trans. it will not have the following so keep dreaming: (please add to list whatever i forgot)
daft punk multi*
drops*
moving recognizer *
unique playfield art*
3D trans
chrome
plaque and cert*

LE/Premium weren't fully defined yet when Tron came out. Stamping "Premium" on the side of the Stern box of a Tron LE doesn't mean it was a Premium in the sense that we now think of it.

There is nothing precluding Stern from making a Tron Premium in the sense that we now think of it.....same palyfield as LE, less external bling.

#135 4 years ago

just writing this so you know the TRON LE was the premium. look into it. therefore no vault will be like the LE. stern said so. my guess is that it will be a pro with leds. which is fine. maybe new art/trans. it will not have the following so keep dreaming: (please add to list whatever i forgot)
daft punk multi*
drops*
moving recognizer *
unique playfield art*
3D trans
chrome
plaque and cert*

So what is to stop them from releasing a version called "Premium" and just changing some cosmetics from the "LE" version? They've done that on other games.

Where there's money to be made, they'll follow.

#136 4 years ago

daft punk multi*
drops*
moving recognizer *
unique playfield art*
3D trans
chrome
plaque and cert*

Actually all of those can be had. The plaque could be made by any trophy shop for pretty cheap. The PF can be swapped out or sent out to have the boarders made silver and all the software changes can be made by swapping in a P-Roc and writing the code as it appears in the LE. Would anyone do that, doubtful but it is possible. Semantics though but still possible if you really wanted to spend the money and effort. Would be cheaper to buy a LE though.

I'm a buyer of a VE if it comes in at $5K or less shipped. More than that then I'm out. I'm also out if a VE doesn't come and used pricing is the same. Trons a great game but outside of those parameters I'm fine not owning one and just playing them one route and at shows.

#137 4 years ago

Another Tron VE thread means another posting of this pic

deadhorse.jpg
#138 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Actually all of those can be had. The plaque could be made by any trophy shop for pretty cheap. The PF can be swapped out or sent out to have the boarders made silver and all the software changes can be made by swapping in a P-Roc and writing the code as it appears in the LE. Would anyone do that, doubtful but it is possible. Semantics though but still possible if you really wanted to spend the money and effort. Would be cheaper to buy a LE though.
I'm a buyer of a VE if it comes in at $5K or less shipped. More than that then I'm out. I'm also out if a VE doesn't come and used pricing is the same. Trons a great game but outside of those parameters I'm fine not owning one and just playing them one route and at shows.

It still won't be a Stern-issued LE. They also have Cobra 427s that can have all of the same parts, but that doesn't mean Shelby created them and also doesn't mean they are 7 figure cars.
I have a TAF that someone was making into a Gold. Gold bookcase, gold bumper caps, gold ROMs. Yeah I could go get a plaque made, but it's still not a gold.

#139 4 years ago

This just in...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-its-not-coming
Sorry folks game over! Please disperse

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

It still won't be a Stern-issued LE. They also have Cobra 427s that can have all of the same parts, but that doesn't mean Shelby created them and also doesn't mean they are 7 figure cars.
I have a TAF that someone was making into a Gold. Gold bookcase, gold bumper caps, gold ROMs. Yeah I could go get a plaque made, but it's still not a gold.

I know that and was not arguing that point. I was just speaking towards this part - "*can't be had on pro or vault no matter what you try"

It's like my mustang. I bought the full 427R kit for it and did the work myself. It is not a certified Roush because I did the conversion vs Roush. I'm perfectly happy with having the same performance and keeping $10 grand in my pocket. Some people need the title while others don't.

#141 4 years ago

Omg....I'm so confused.... ....is it coming or not...Ahhhhh...........Joey

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Can't see a game with 5 runs already requiring rerunning as a VE. It's more for games that had limited runs for which there's demand such as Family Guy.

I don't think FGY has near the demand of Tron, regardless of existing numbers of the machines.

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

There were likely more FGY built than Tron. 2500 isn't that limited by modern pinball standards.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I've owned two. I don't need to downplay it, because you have no damn evidence other than your word of mouth, which is worth about as much as me wiping my butt, and handing you the sheet, and telling you it's a million dollars.
Why the f would I even care... I've got a modded out pro, it's already in my living room, for a SECOND time. Clearly, I considered the VE possibility and decided not to wait on it. The whole point was I regretted selling it in the first place. I'm not going to sell it again just to get a VE and redo 30 hours of modding work, when I have everything and more that a VE could have aside from a metal head and metallic decals. Hope if they DO the VE, they give you guys the metal decals, the ones on Iron Man are freakin' awesome.
Just tired of all the unsubstantiated BULLSH...you guys keep posting. I didn't pay 6k for my HUO pro, I got a fantastic price on it. It's the 'tards sitting on NIB that are unopened that will be crapping themselves if it comes..

u mad bro?

200_s.gif
#145 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There were likely more FGY built than Tron. 2500 isn't that limited by modem pinball standards.

There were about 1000 Tron Pros ran through 4 different "Stern runs".
Here are the estimates for the 4 different runs:
1st: 400
2nd: 250+80
3rd: 200+40
4th: 100

There were 400 Tron LEs ran.

Source: http://www.ipsnd.net

That puts the current ESTIMATED Tron pinball population at about 1470.

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

There were about 1000 Tron Pros ran through 4 different "Stern runs".
There were 400 Tron LEs ran.
That puts the current Tron pinball population at about 1400 for what it's worth.

you mean 1000 per run or in total?

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Talking original.

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Tron VE...It's coming....

I smell ozone, it can't be too far.......

#149 4 years ago

I would be happy if Stern does another Tron Pro run, that way I won't care. LOTR or Tron Premium on the other hand would generate much more excitement.

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

...Tron Premium on the other hand would generate much more excitement.

Exactly why they should do it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Sale Pending!
Indianapolis, IN
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside