too-soon.gif
image.png
SgtCarter.jpg
fingers-in-ears.jpg
Libations-castor-from-tron-legacy-20146939-500-200.gif
Screen_Shot_2015-11-05_at_9.55.36_AM.png
dead_horse.gif
ugly_chair.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

So knock out another batch!

They can't just put games back into production. It can only happen if Disney is open to a reasonable small batch re-licensing deal & if there's enough demand for at least 500 machines. That's a lot of "ifs". Tron is awesome but they re-ran it a bunch times while the license was still active. There are a lot out there, unlike Iron Man which was cut short before it found its fans.

Due to Disney not caring about Tron and the "true" demand not being that great, I think it's safe to say Tron is done.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I agree that Disney doesn't care about Tron, but it sure seems like a lot of people on this forum are clamoring for a new Tron machine.

Define a lot. Sure, a few people are vocal about it...but "a lot"? Can you find even 100 pinsiders who have cash ready to rock for a NIB Tron? It would be an interesting poll.

Quoted from T-800:

Less than $5k NIB for a TRONVE and 500 would sell instantly. If you dont believe that then you have no pulse on the pinball community.

I think if 500 people were clammoring for a Tron, used game prices would be even higher. Again - Tron Pro had what - 4 or 5 runs? That was at its peak when everyone was going Tron crazy. They kept running the game to meet demand. It slowed down and ended. I honestly think most who wanted a Tron got one.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Same could be said for Spider-Man. If you look at price alone, there's more than enough Spider-mans to meet demand.

While that may be true, keep in mind not just diehard pinheads buy games. Spider-Man is an evergreen license - always relevant. Tron is niche and not mainstream. Plus, turning Spidey into a comic book version will attract an entirely new audience of players and buyers.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

FWIW, Stern is now selling newly manufactured Whitestar PCB assemblies..... Maybe LOTR is in route??

Between Sega and Stern, there are probably 50,000+ Whitestar games out there. There's probably more demand for replacement boards than for new LOTRs.

#104 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm smoking weed and drinking bourbon.
Beyond that you wanna make an actual, convincing argument why Tron cost less to make than other stern titles?
More convincing than "it just does!" Please.

For one - Tron has zero custom toys. They're all Spin Master toys. Metallica, TWD, Kiss - all have custom molded toys. Sure they're not technologically mindblowing - but sculpting, producing, and painting their own toys has to cost more than just buying them in bulk from a toy company.

Tron has no metal ramps, drop targets, or magnets. Kiss Pro is "cheap" as hell - but it does have some metal & drops. TWD has drops.

Today's Pros are still pretty cheap when it comes to BOM, but I think they're a smidge ahead of the IM/Tron/BBH days.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yea, if Stern is actually coming out with a Premium SM, why not a Premium Tron?

Spider-Man is a relevant and lucrative evergreen license. Tron isn't.

#143 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Maybe Tron can be a lucrative evergreen pinball license? Three different translites....four production runs including the LE?

Its demand was met while he license was active.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Yes, the demand was met back when the license was active......since then, the title has become more popular creating more demand. Just like Iron Man. $4700VE would sell again without question.

It's not like Iron Man. They barely made any Iron Man, the license expired - then it got popular and the VE was made to meet demand. Thankfully the IM license is still relevant. Tron's popularity grew within the 3 years the license was still active, and multiple runs are done during that time to meet demand. The license is no longer relevant - I find it highly unlikely they'll run it again.

There are a ton of Stern games you can point to as being excellent and deserving of a re-run...but it's a pretty vocal minority who wants NIB everything and refuses to do it the "old fashioned way" - - buy a nice used one or a shitty used one and make it nice. That's not enough people to warrant re-licensing and running 100-200 machines.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from nipenzo:

Didn't Stern just get the Metallica license again and start to run a few small batches?
Why wouldn't they do the same for Tron?
Metallica is a more relevant license than Tron?
It's not hard to find a used MET pro at a reasonable price, Tron prices? hahahahahahahaha
It's worth it to run a couple hundred MET's again but not Tron VE's?.....hmmmmmmm
TRON LE owners will lose their minds when a VE is announced with light ramps....yup

Licenses last 3 years Metallica hasn't been renewed....they're still within the original license agreement.

...and Metallica is absolutely a more relevant license than Tron. Metallica is always around. Tron came and went. Disney cancelled the animated series, removed Tron stuff from the parks, and canned the 3rd movie. Disney has no interest in promoting Tron. Metallica has interest in promoting Metallica.

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from nipenzo:

Obviously, Disney isn't interested in marketing/promoting the Tron franchise at this time. Sinking 200 million into Tron 3 is a little different than giving Stern the ok to make some pins. Why would Disney reject Sterns request to make a few pins? So if Gary wakes up tomorrow with a request for 1000 Tron VE's....you still don't think a VE would happen?

Do you really think there's demand for 1000? Over the past few years there has been plenty of "Pinside Demand" for re-runs of of games...TSPP, LOTR, FGY...some are already crying about wanting ACDC to come back and it just went out of production. We're very lucky that IM came back but that's a rare situation for the complicated beast that is pinball licensing and manufacturing. It's unlikely you'll see any of these games produced again. But here's the great thing about pinball collecting - used ones are out there! That's how most of us built our collections. Keep your eyes open.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

"Look for future Stern Vault Editions."
It was right in the Press Release when IMVE was announced. Gary was the one that started all this speculation. His customers simply jumped on board. It doesn't matter that there has been only ONE Vault Edition, they said more are coming. Therefore yes, I expect to see their great games produced again... because they told me that is what they are doing.
I know you are not the person I should be rebutting, but you are probably one of the most knowledgeable people here in relation to this. Yet you contradict exactly what Stern said, so either you or Stern is wrong.

Gary says a lot of things. Personally I feel like that vault announcement was more about "Pros might get re-made so don't blame us if your "investment" tanks". But also they'd obviously want to rerun games if there's sufficient demand post-license-expiration & if the re-license is feasible and practical. That's the key. Once again, IM tanked during its initial run and the demand came later. Iron Man is still relevant and Stern had multiple Marvel licenses active. Tron was a hit during its run and plenty were made. Same with LOTR, same with TSPP, same with POTC....so - the real question from the consumer side is - what is the true demand? How many are willing to shell out for a NIB Tron at the moment? Is it 10 loud pinsiders or is it 1000's worldwide including operators clammoring for more Trons on location?

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

I know this is a bit off topic, but all this talk about licensing is reminding me of the pitfalls of Stern's strategy to always license. Some licenses will always have the risk of quickly becoming irrelevant (e.g. movie licenses that don't have a bazillion sequels already planned, like Tron) while some licenses have a chance at durability (e.g. band licenses like AC/DC). Meanwhile, original themes can be brought back any time there is demand (e.g. Medieval Madness remake).

Stern's production model generally isn't concerned with what they can do in the future - they need games constantly being built and shipping NOW. Licenses provide that. People and operators see "Game of Thrones" and say "OH COOL! I GOTTA HAVE/PLAY THAT!". If they see a generic "Dragon Master" or something, they say "Eh". It might be a great game, but it won't get the front-loaded sales.

To Stern's credit, they almost always DO pick themes that are evergreen. When they do movies, they usually do franchises that already have proven themselves to be beloved, so they don't end up with a Shadow or Johnny Mnemonic (yes, great games in retrospect, but horrible licenses). TV shows like Game of Thrones will always be beloved and relatively timeless. Tron wasn't a bad choice - it's Disney, which is usually a sure bet...and it has strong strong nostalgia for a certain group of 80's kids & arcade lovers. It's still not mainstream and cherished such as other licenses like LOTR, Simpsons, Marvel comics, etc. Tron did well with the "retro arcade" crowd and pinball hardcores...but it's dead as a mainstream license.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

The theme and pin (TRON) are both very relevant and desirable within the pinball community.

This is the circle we keep coming around on. The game had multiple productions to meet demand of the pinball community. Most who wanted it got it. Demand was filled, production stopped. The "pinball community" aka Pinside isn't as big as we think we are. How big is this demand REALLY? 10 or 20 Pinsiders who want NiB instead of finding a used one? That's not "demand".

Quoted from pantherpinball:

My argument against your argument that Disney is only future looking:
1) Disney Infinity 3.0 - while yes this is made to be a Star Wars centered game, it has Tron built into it, released 8/31/15, well after Tron Legacy. That's a lot of investment in a "dead" title.

That's an excellent point, actually. However - Diz can make millions selling their little toys-to-life figures & video games. Re licensing a small run of Tron pinball at a price that makes it worthwhile for Stern will bring them what, a few thousand?

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Nothing against Tron, but Stern is already doing it right now. They are constructing another mini run of Metallic "Monster" premiums for exactly the reasons described here. It continues to remain relevant in interest, and the preference of premium features, questionable costs for premium aside. I cannot tell you if they are "selling out" or not exactly, but there is a jump for Christmas in terms of orders. They just started coming off the line a couple of week ago, and are still going.

It's been said already, but you are wrong to make this comparison. Metallica is still under its original license agreement. It doesn't expire until the end of the year. It's quite common for Stern to keep making a game within the original 3 year window. After that, it's a numbers game as to whether it goes back into production or not. Ample demand + licensor willing to relicense + licensor not wanting as much money (or more) than the original licensing agreement. So far only 3 titles have been re-licensed past the original terms - TSPP, LOTR, and IM.

#271 8 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Sweet!!! More dragons on playfields.
Hmmmmm Tron Dragon VE

Hah! Not the molded toy, obviously - but the mechs. Look how many games Borg's put a spinning disc on. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragon mech is the same as Star Trek's ship.

#286 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

"A game is only ever over if a customer doesn't want it."
There, it was stated definitively.
So much for the 3 year licensing arguements.

Tell that to the licensors & Stern's bean counters.

Quoted from Yipykya:

So Tron will be remade yet again and it will be what customers want.

Not if like 10 customers want it. Of if Disney doesn't want to re-license. Or they want too much money.

Quoted from Yipykya:

VE with LE playfield features.

Will never happen. Stern won't re-make LEs. Period.

Quoted from Yipykya:

Hold on to your butts, NIB inquisitors will be happy, LE owners will be butt hurt.

Sure....how many years will these Tron threads go on for?

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Yeah yeah we know how you feel. Sorry it's going down this way but it is what it is. Sad for some.

Sad for those endlessly waiting for a Tron re-run that will never happen instead of just playing one that exists.

Quoted from Yipykya:

Perhaps a Premium version with different cabinet and back glass art and ALL the LE features.

Or no version cuz the game is DONE!

Offer proof if you know otherwise. Repeating a lie enough times doesn't make it a fact.

Quoted from kvan99:

I'm however waiting on a LOTR.

You don't have to. Thousands exist already.

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Don't forget how Nate said that according to Jody, to renew the Iron Man license that it was fairly easy.

Cuz it's Iron Man lol. Still relevant.

#318 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Why? They didn't announce a Walking Dead Premium at launch, and added it later. Nothing at Stern melted down over that. Nothing would melt down if they made a Tron Premium.

Different eras. When Tron, Avatar and Rolling Stones LE were made - there was no such thing as a Premium. LE and Premium were the same thing. To make a Premium now would be re-making the LE, which they won't do. TWD Premium fit within the definition of the current Pro/Premium/LE model.

#326 8 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

This is an incorrect statement. Although they look similar, the TRON LE has Screened Cabinet Art , while the Tron Pro has Cabinet Decals.I have owned both. The TRON LE looks much better !
This info can be verified in IPDB.org.

There's no way Stern's screened art looks better than the decals. I have a Tron LE, and while I love it -the cabinet resolution looks like shit compared to the Pros that were made w/ the high rez decals. Same with Iron Man original vs. VE...VE *kills* the original screened look.

#343 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

We do know (and makes sense) that Stern is more concerned with selling games today, than protecting someone's feelings about what they thought they bought.

I'll come back to this thread in 2017. There still won't be a Tron re-run. Have fun guys!

#347 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Okay well I've noticed that you tend to be a naysayer on many of the VE speculations out there. So let me ask you this. High ranking Stern employees have stated numerous times that they will be producing VE models of their older releases. In your opinion what will be some of the ones that get remade going forward?

I've already a stated that I think that was a blanket statement "just in case" they decide to do so - so anyone coveting their "rare" Pro like IM can't cry if it goes back into production. It's not a given that we're going to see non stop re-releases of old titles. It's a big fat "maybe" if
A.). True "manufacture worthy" demand is there.

B.) The licensor is willing/able to relicense.

C.) The licensor is willing to cut Stern a decent deal for a smaller production run.

Iron Man might be the only game that ever meets that criteria. We're going to see Spidey "comic" soon - is that a VE? Is that something else? I've heard a rumor of another theme-reskin...is that a VE? Who knows. It's semantics.

I don't know what other Stern games have enough demand to warrant more production. Probably none, honestly. The "greats" like LOTR, TSPP and ACDC have enough 2nd hand units circulating to meet demand.

Perhaps we'll see more re-skinning/updating vs. straight up re-runs to drum up interest. Shit, I'd buy a TSPP Vaultimate Edition with full color HD animation and remastered sound!

#349 8 years ago

Hah, a little. MM always had good audio quality tho. Dated Whitestar sound is the one knock otherwise stellar games like TSPP and LOTR have.

#355 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Epic amounts of lulz at the screened cabinet looking better than the decals. Oh man. More durable? Probably, yes..look better...said nobody, EVER.

I don't even see how it's more durable. A scratch is a scratch - either can get scratched. However you can replace decals, not a printed cab.

#403 8 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

The first pins with Decals was TFLE. Stern didn't have the new leg protectors back then and that's why so many TFLE's have decal wrinkling

Not only that - I'm pretty sure TF was a different printing process & material. From AC/DC onward, the decal quality and resolution has been excellent. The metallic decals on Mustang LE & Iron Man VE are incredible.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Trade
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-the-next-stern-title?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.