Resized_20230117_104431_464622807080727 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240206_222143 (resized).jpg
3424697b418af80e762e7c9d3c2a9cbb.jpg
jeff-bridges-what.gif
Screenshot_20240121_010946_Facebook (resized).jpg
moonwalk.gif
tron_3_by_ultimate_savage_de0vw8l-375w-2x (resized).jpg
IMG_8297 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#884 1 year ago

I've thought about selling my Tron for years, can never quite work up doing it. The day I actually decide to will be when the vault is announced, just to try and tank my sale. So all I have to do is actually decide to do it and take one for the team.

Just ... can't work myself up to it still, sorry everyone.

#919 1 year ago
Quoted from dts:

The issue for me is I really want a Tron, so buy a Pro now, or wait for this rumored vault? Beats me.

If you can buy a game buy it. They don’t come around that often. Passing up an opportunity seems silly if you want it.

Could a new one be coming? Hey sure, I have no idea. But someone has been claiming it’s happening every year for years. I’m not judging anyone, just saying, we’ve heard it too many times by now.

If they make a new one they make a new one. Enjoy what you have either way is my advice.

#1016 1 year ago

I'm hopefully close to announcing a new mod for Tron, and it's something I could probably convert without too much difficulty (in theory!) to a vault version. Would expand the market, I'm all for it! Make the vault Stern! And I own the game myself and I still love it, it's a special title for me for various reasons that are more personal and emotional than practical. That said ...

I just don't see it selling hugely well. Obviously there's enough pent up demand here for a few hundred, but beyond that? I just don't know that it holds up to what people expect now. The code is fine, but basic. Definitely not deep. The art is fine, but the playfield especially is a bit dated and Photoshoppy compared to what most modern titles are up to now. The movie is old, and has fans, but isn't really beloved in a cult way like the original.

The ride isn't exactly something people talk about in normal conversation, there's no media campaign or public awareness of the brand really.

Without the fiberoptic ramps it's imo just nearly as good a game. They bring it to life. I'm glad I have them, and if you couldn't get them and want them now I feel for you. But if they added them again on a vault it would potentially create some bad feelings over redoing a limited game feature, something they've never done before. Not a precedent they probably want to set.

It just doesn't feel like a slam dunk idea to me. I could be utterly wrong, just spitballing. If it was an Iron Man deal sure. But that was easy, they were still doing SAM titles and had all the parts and only needed to update a few decals. A bunch of investment to redo it just doesn't feel like it has the return, at least from my uninformed purely guessing perspective.

#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

You had me at 'new mod for Tron'!

I don't really like sharing things before they're done, but I'm having trouble not showing my in progress on this one because I'm having a good time with it, and I think it's coming out great.

See if I can hold out, in the meantime I'll be a horrible tease.

#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

No need to show me anything but just say the words ramps and lights, and maybe we can have an idea where you are going with it.
Is it lit ramps?
Like…you know, Eli ramps but not, just made by you.
If you tell us by pm we can keep it a secret.

No ramps, but maybe someone else will work on that. Never know.

I have Eli's kit installed already, love it. The game isn't the same to me without the fiber optics. But I first played an LE, and I just couldn't go back after that.

Quoted from punkin:

Dunno about low demand.

We're all speculating and BSing. And I've made it clear I'm a fan and think it's a special game, but I just don't see broad public demand personally. Just the usual Pinside suspects. I might be wrong. But I also don't actually believe a remake is coming.

Quoted from PeterG:

Which mods from Aurich?

I think he was just kindly talking about things I've done in the past, I've never done anything for Tron before tinkering on this project now.

#1025 1 year ago

If I was in charge of Stern, which I am most certainly not , I would only look forward.

I don't know how much work a Vault game was in the past, but clearly lower effort compared to a new game. They had the plans, the setup, the tech, just needed to do a run of already designed parts and make new playfields and printing based on existing designs. Not trivial, but certainly not the hugest lift.

They could sell x hundred of those to keep the line running during gaps and it made sense. And if they were to do a re-run now of say Iron Maiden in that same way I could see it. Low(er) effort lifts.

But old games? I can't see any DMD era game being worth the effort. Nobody wants a DMD now. Even the Chicago Gaming remakes have new high rez dots. You gotta port the old game to new hardware, redesign all this stuff, and then make new LCD graphics for it all. Or, you could just make a new game, and sell more of them because you're not competing against your own old customers.

Anyone who wants a LOTR badly enough can get one now. Just offer to pay what a new Stern would go for and someone will be tired of it and sell to you.

#1034 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

come on aurich... stop the obvious trolling
You're supposed to be pumping not poking!

Hey, I figure I'm good either way. No Vault, my Tron is worth more. Vault? I'm selling mods to new owners. I can be a good capitalist either way.

#1035 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Now I'm intrigued. Will you announce in the all modding thread when your ready or somewhere else?

I dunno where "somewhere else" would even be to be honest. I'm not on Facebook. I've not kept up with who's doing cool pinball shows on YouTube. Like, if I wanted to announce something not on Pinside I wouldn't know where to go.

I was told all the cool kids make neat video trailers for their mods now, so I'm playing with that idea. Video editing isn't my strong suit, but I figure I can fake it, I'm a fast learner.

I just like doing cool creative stuff, and selling it all to make a little side cash for things and to support the time I put into it. Mods are so much more of a business now than when I got into it. I just never really got beyond that "announce it in a forum thread" thing.

What do people who don't obsessively read Pinside do to find out about this stuff? Partner up with weekly pinball shows on YouTube?

#1050 1 year ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

is it one of those games that you need to play at home where you can hear everything you need to and really get the imersion?

Yes. As a shooter the game is fine, but it's nothing truly special. But as a full experience, with the sound pumping (hopefully with a sub) and the fiber optic colors going etc it really elevates into something more.

If it's stock, or not an LE, and you can't hear it I really don't think it's particularly impressive. Fun, but just another pin.

1 week later
#1082 1 year ago

Damn I missed the whole end to TimeBandit's modding stuff, that sucks. Nothing like things breaking and you don't know why. Really nice guy, he visited me in Cali once years ago. I remember I showed him an in-progress Metallica mod that I'm embarrassed to admit I've still yet to finish. He might be the only person on Pinside who wasn't a friend who saw it.

I personally love my Eli ramps. But in looking at what TimeBandit did that no-drill install is brilliant. Not gonna lie, taking my ramps off to drill holes in them was pretty stressful. I was definitely worried I was going to fuck them up or crack something. And I'm handy with tools, but still, plastic ...

3 months later
#1125 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

there is a strong rumour (for over 3 months now) that Tron is already in development with new art.

Someone has been claiming that since before this thread was started. Every year it's "this is the one, I have an uncle who works at Stern and he saw a bin of lightcycles in a back room". It's always been nonsense.

Tron is a great game, but it had its time. It's pretty shallow by today's standards, few people care about the movie anymore, and the hardware is dated. Remaking it makes no real sense.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Trade
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-is-it-really-coming?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.