Resized_20230117_104431_464622807080727 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240206_222143 (resized).jpg
3424697b418af80e762e7c9d3c2a9cbb.jpg
jeff-bridges-what.gif
Screenshot_20240121_010946_Facebook (resized).jpg
moonwalk.gif
tron_3_by_ultimate_savage_de0vw8l-375w-2x (resized).jpg
IMG_8297 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 7 years ago

Word is it was planned for a 2016 release but that release is no longer planned for this year due to their playfield delays. No idea if it has made the manufacturing list for 2017 (I don't know how far in advance stern plans their line).

One assumes it will be a premium, to be sure, but even that is just a guess.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

So tiger you think it will still happen, just prob later?

My source did not know. Just knew it was taken off the production plan for this year.

My personal guess (and that's all it is) is that it will be next year and will be a premium price point game with lit ramps.

#22 7 years ago

The high res decals would be a really nice upgrade. I'd like to see them do some type of mirrored backglass on a premium.

#46 7 years ago

The real shame is Disney not doing the third Tron movie. The Tron IP is very original and current and has a ton of room to develop further.

One more big movie would really cement the franchise. Let's hope Disney reconsiders one day.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So if you're willing to wait another year to possibly see TronVE's - fine. You'd be better served to snag a standard Tron now and play it for a year. Who knows, maybe you'll decide to keep the standard?

This is exactly what I did. As soon as I heard the VE was pushed out of the 2016 lineup I snagged a pro. Played six games on it today so far, very happy.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Or none of them.
Here's to more years of endless speculation!

I think we all know the Tron VE is coming eventually, almost assuredly the next VE release. I would say any other VE title (like a possible re-skinned BDK and what not) is pure speculation.

Does anyone know how SM VE has perfromed in sales (I know the delays may be making this hard to figure)?

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Lit ramps crushes Stern's LE business model forever and ends their customer trust? That is laughable. Seriously.

Exactly right. It's just a premium edition of a game. It doesn't hurt them at all. They've been running premiums of other games. Back in black is worth a lot even though there is an ACDC premium (two different models of it to boot).

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I never said not to make TRON VE - just that I would be disappointed if they made it exactly like TRON LE. Either leave off the bling or re-skin it like Spiderman VE.

Gosh, let's hope it is not reskinned (other than high res decals and another backglass perhaps). It truely is one of the finest pinball machines of all time and it integrates perfectly with the movie.

Again, as I said earlier in the thread my source did not provide me much information, only that the Tron VE was scheduled to go on the line this year (2016) for a run and it has since been "pulled from production plans for this year".

I think he would have told me if there was a reskin planned and he did not mention it (granted, I didn't ask...but based on the discussion we were having that would have been super pertinent information).

Anyway, I'm happy with the Tron Pro I picked up six weeks ago right now. It is getting, by a reasonable margin, the most play out of my collection right now. I don't think there is any reason for anyone to wait to grab a Tron. Find a modded out HUO version now and enjoy it. Life is short.

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So the newest game in your collection is getting the most play?
Shocker!

Good point! I have owned a Tron before though (had one for about two years or so).

1 week later
#247 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

100-150 sales of BDK VE. Tops

I agree. I don't see it happening any time soon, certainly not before Tron VE...

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

trim freshen up, shaker maybe.
OUT: Drops, DPMB, moving recognizer.

DPMB needs to be on the VE (assuming they are going for a premium price point). I agree about leaving the drops off and the moving recognizer...

2 weeks later
#316 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Maybe to some, maybe not to others....tell some that their TAF, AFM, MB, etc. are irrelevant by the day. It's been 20 fucking years on some of those, and are being restored, and cherished by their owners.

This is 100% right. TAF stands up to any game today very well. Special games are special games. Tron is a special game.

#335 7 years ago
Quoted from LadySlingshot:

Explaining anything about the pinball hobby to someone outside it starts to sound foolish in about 15 seconds. None of what's discussed in this hobby makes any sense if you think about it.

Quoted from LadySlingshot:

I think every pinball machine is fun when you get familiar with it. Some better than others, sure, but always fun. What separates the great games from the good ones to me is this: in a great game, you intuitively know what to do. Something about the layout, shots, call outs, inserts, theme all harmoniously working together to engage the player. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, those pins become classics.

Back to back excellent posts. Thumbing up alone was not enough.

Id add that music, dots, rule set and light show all add to total experience to make that one special game. TAF and MM were special in the 90's. Tron and LOTR likewise are special.

#338 7 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

This sounds so familiar...as if you two were speaking about The Hobbit!

I don't recall ever speaking or writing about the Hobbit pin one way or another frankly.

My biggest issue with the Hobbit was the third movie battle scene that made little sense to me with how it was structured as one large brawl and not an actual battle. I have no issue with the pin itself at all.

#373 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I even went to the trouble of taking 4 angles of shooter lane pics, the guy still made the trip and THEN turned it down b/c of the shooter lane. It was a 90 minute drive for him .... really?

Wow! The whole shooter lane pic matter started out as mostly a joke years ago, but has grown into being very serious apparently.

#403 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

colordmd just announced Batman as next title....this confirms Rob's previous statements....appears a BatmanVE next up....hmmm....

Will it be a reskin? I sure hope it is not an Adam West era reskin if so... Not a theme that calls to me personally but certainly an A list theme for many.

1 month later
#440 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Forget the VE, I want to ride the coaster.

That is awesome! Wish they had something like that in the states.

5 years later
#514 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Just a friendly bump, a Tron vault would sure get my attention! Tron 3 may be on hold indefinitely, but the Tron park is still happening, so who knows?

I don’t think we will ever see another DMD game run of any kind. Stern canceled the Iron Man VE run people were talking about earlier in this thread…heck, they postponed their latest cornerstone…their production line is backed up more than a year.

Tron VE is as dead as it can be in my view.

#517 1 year ago
Quoted from Saltimbanco:

This being the Tron VE thread, I felt it was ok to indicate I still like the idea. I did say 'who knows'..

All good. Apologies for coming off dismissive. My understanding is Stern informed their distributors they will not be doing any more SAM games ever when they canceled the Iron Man orders a few months ago.

5 months later
#585 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“Oh that’s ok what Tron really needs is the LCD and total software upgrade!!!!!”
- everybody who has been asking for this VE for years

My guess is Stern may well do that one day…but for LOTR…and the cost will be absurd.

I waited for years for a Tron VE to come out. About three or four years ago I gave up and bought a pro and have enjoyed the crap out of it. Don’t wait for a NIB that may never be made, life is too short, grab a HUO example asap if you can find one.

#651 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I am holding off until the VE which will happen and will most likely be one of the biggest cornerstones for next year as most of the other licenses are really WEAK sauce.

Let’s not kid ourselves, if Stern ever does another Tron run it’ll be a small run. Even if they update the screen to the LCD it’ll still be a small run of maybe 1,000 games. It sure would be awesome to have Tron on insider connected though.

#709 1 year ago
Quoted from BradKreisler:

A 6 year old thread about VE speculation. Why not just buy a Tron now? Or 6 years ago, either way you won't have to worry about the VE.

And, incredibly, the thread is on fire. It motivated me to rewatch Tron Legacy this morning with the kids.

I do not think Stern is going to re-run Tron. They just don’t need to and if they did they’d only sell around 1,000 units tops.

#781 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

They had Pro and LE models before this title.. LOTR, avatar, maybe some others too.

LOTR was a special case since it’s run was long after the other runs of the title. Stern really hadn’t settled in to the current three tier system till ACDC and even then they weren’t totally sure whether they were going to be a two or three tiered system for some time.

1 week later
#1024 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Without the fiberoptic ramps it's imo just nearly as good a game. They bring it to life. I'm glad I have them, and if you couldn't get them and want them now I feel for you.

I’d like a backup set. I worry mine will stop working one day and, as you say, they really add to the game. They need to do another run of this mod. They’d easily sell out of a few hundred of them.

Back to the main topic, I just see no way Stern is going to VE this game. They are not going to convert it to the new platform either, only LOTRs is being considered for that treatment. LOTRs has code that is deep enough to satisfy today’s market, Tron has truly superb code and is a fabulous tourney game (as so many SAM games are), but it’s not like they would sell a 1,000 of these at $9,000…maybe 500 tops. They would sell 3,000-5,000 LOTRs.

#1032 1 year ago

Nice pick up! I see the ramps are let, are those colors locked in or do they change with the shots like Eli’s kit?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
12,028 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods
Plastics
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 26.50
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TigerLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-is-it-really-coming?tu=TigerLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.