pasted_image (resized).png
DEB5822F-950C-49C8-B1EA-D6CC0FD74F20 (resized).jpeg
20200121_172917 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just curious.... Why Simpsons? Easily obtainable, price is still very reasonable, etc

Because this is the hobby now. People only buy games new in a box. No one searches them out or works on/shops out their own games anymore.

This will be great in the future for those of us who like to buy cheaper & fix...when the current type of newb collectors finally get bored or don't want to bother fixing their games, they'll all get blown out on the 2nd hand market for way cheaper.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What is it about Tron that gives people BOM fever?

It's just a fact of the era when it came out. You had games with lots of custom mechs and expensive features that didn't sell. Then came the Borg-only era of 2009-2011. NBA = remake of Space Jam with less stuff. Iron Man = Remake of Austin Powers with less stuff. Tron = No unique playfield mechs at all...just a spinning disc. Avatar, BBH, Rolling Stones...all relatively simplistic games that were quick to design, cheap to make.

For the record, I find all of these games a lot of fun to play...so I'm not ripping on them in that respect...but they were much cheaper on R&D and BOM than the games that came before it like BDK, WOF, FGY, POTC, SM.

1 week later
#223 5 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I think for TRONVE not to have happened by now has to mean there is something preventing it that the unprivileged don’t know, maybe something that is unlikely to ever change.

Possibilities:

1. Demand isn't as high as Pinside thinks it is.

2. Licensing issues:
a. Disney doesn't care enough about the license to bother with it.
b. Re-licensing the Daft Punk music is too expensive for a low run Vault.
c. Re-negotiating actor likenesses might be too expensive/difficult for a low run Vault.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

For the uninitiated such as myself, what is a Stern Vault?

Generally Stern gets a 3-year deal for licenses. Historically, when a game is out of production, it's done forever. In the past, a few big sellers like Simpsons Pinball Party and Lord of the Rings had their licenses extended and games were made longer. Iron Man was the first game that was declared "dead" which later found massive popularity after the license expired, so Stern re-licensed it and called it a "Vault Edition" (kinda like when Disney movies come back on DVD or Blu-Ray...they're released from "the vault"). It had a few minor changes (new backbox design, metallic foil decals, re-molds of the action figures, light in Monger's chest, all LEDs). After that happened, everyone has been speculating constantly about every game getting a Vault re-release, especially the post-2012 new collectors who ONLY buy NIB, and can't imagine a world where they go out and find a previously owned machine.

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It is being developed now and will be announced soon'ish'

Why are you talking about that like it's a fact? That's never been confirmed by the reliable rumor mill.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If Disney did not care about TRON, why would they be building a brand new TRON ride that opens in 2021 ???
Yeah.

Cuz rides are cool? Universal Studios has a Waterworld attraction, FFS...theme parks are different than consumer products.

Tron 3 canceled.
Tron Uprising canceled.

They've given up on making it an ongoing thing.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

They own the license - and it is well known (maybe not super popular) - so why not use it

Tron is Disney's red-headed stepchild. The theme has very passionate fans....but not many compared to their other characters and franchises. Every attempt to bring it back and make it a thing more people care about has failed. Disneyland had a Flynn's arcade for a little bit...but they tore it down. I thought Tron Uprising was great...better than the movies, IMO...but it's just too little too late. Had a show like that come out in the 90's when Batman: The Animated Series was big, I think it could have made a splash.

#245 5 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

I liked the Tron animated Series.
Hoping a second season is coming.

It's LONG dead. It was canceled about 7 years ago!!! The only action shows on Disney XD now are Marvel (Spider-Man, GOTG)

4 months later
#372 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

It's going to look so outdated sitting next to other new machines.

To 99% of people who see a pinball, they ALL look outdated. Pinball is retro, and always will be. The people playing pins on location aren’t just playing new games. They’re not playing pinball because there’s an iPad between the speakers.

5 months later
#447 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

How reliable is the rumour guys ref Tron Vault?

Zero reliability. These whiney bitches haven’t shut up about it for about 7 years...they’re still trying to will it into existence instead of just going out and getting a real one that exists.

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Custom dots every day of the week for me.

Custom dots (in color) look classy & retro. They fit pinball. Almost every LCD game so far looks like a poorly dated 90’s PC CD-ROM. Which retro game aesthetics are more appreciated today? NES/SNES/Genesis, or Phillips CD-I?

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Man aren’t you a little hung up on this?
People aren’t expecting Pixar quality animations on their pinball machines. Everything I’ve seen looks fine to me.

And you’re hung up on never understanding what I mean. Display art direction doesn’t mean it has to look like Pixar. Hence, I prefer great dots to shitty HD CG.

2 weeks later
#490 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That would work great for Tron knowing when you are in super pops or double scoring with the display like Maiden rather than the tiny un labeled dots on Tron display.

ColorDMD solves that by colorizing those status dots.

1 month later
#539 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

You think the average family with money who wants to get a machine for their kids

Ding ding ding. The average family getting a game for their kids doesn’t know what Tron is. That’s why they remake games like Star Trek, Star Wars, Iron Man & Spider-Man. They have mainstream NIBNEWB appeal. Tron has always been niche & appeals specifically to retro arcade people.

#544 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

You might want to search Disney + Tron rollercoaster on google. They already have it at two parks and coming to Florida. Tron is not a niche as you think.

Universal Studios has a Waterworld show. Theme park rides have nothing to do with franchise popularity. Tron is niche. It was a horrible 80’s movie flop that has a passionate niche cult fanbase. Tron Legacy was a flop. Tron Uprising was a flop.

Tron pinball already sold on the strengths of being a great game to the pin scene & on the niche strengths of the theme to the arcade collectors. There’s nothing left to milk, aside from a few stubborn Pinsiders who refuse to buy a used one. The mainstream family pin buyer who knows nothing of Pinside or “the hobby” does not want a Tron pinball. They want Marvel, Star Wars, or something nostalgic that they actually know/like such as GB.

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Pinball itself is very niche. TRON is a well known title in pinball and insiders alone would garner several sales for Stern. Coinciding the TRON Vault with the ride opening would be just the amount of exposure (coupled with existing pinball enthusiast) to make the production of TRON VE worth while for Stern.

To relicense the theme + Daft Punk, they need to sell more than a handful to the stubborn Pinsiders who refuse to buy a used one. When they look at their slate of multiple in production games, new games, and financially sensible re-runs - Tron makes zero sense....but let’s keep speculating about it for another decade lol

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

We can agree to disagree.
Like we have for the last 4 years on this topic ...

Disagree on what? There’s still no Tron Vault. If it was such an obvious hot theme money maker easy license, you’d have your NIB Tron: Cratered Playfield Edition.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

And yet both you and Rare Hero have a TRON pinball machine...Maybe others would like to see TRON get a VE, we can certainly pay for a used (that was more than NIB) if we like. My point is that I would like to get an updated TRON.

I’d like an updated Big Bang Bar. It may happen, it may not. We don’t always get what we want...but, the nice thing is - the games we want already exist if we reaaaaally want one that badly.

My ownership of Tron has nothing to do with anything. I wouldn’t be upset at a Tron remake. It’s just bizarre to see some people so convinced it will happen, that the logic about why it hasn’t and probably won’t is just so easily dismissed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-in-2019?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.