pasted_image (resized).png
DEB5822F-950C-49C8-B1EA-D6CC0FD74F20 (resized).jpeg
20200121_172917 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

In one of the recent videos/interviews with Lyman Tron code came up and if he would make another update. I got the impression that he caught himself from saying something regarding Tron release.

Bingo! He also said that he was moving on to a project after BM66 that wasn’t a “cornerstone” pin.

Tron VE with hand drawn art package, lit ramps / LED package but only a 2D translite. I’m calling it here and now!

2 months later
#283 5 years ago

My feeling is if Stern does a VE it will be priced as a premium and include everything the LE did minus the 3D translite.

It would make sense to upgrade to LCD/Spike2 as well as the video stuff on the DMD is hideous at best. I’m pretty confident they can run the actual SAM game code on Spike2 boards with minimal effort, the service menus are still all DMD versions, for example. Plus the video from the movie looks fantastic as-is and wouldn’t need a lot of additional graphics created, you could lean pretty heavily on it for the display content.

So yeah, and LCD Tron VE would be awesome. Though I doubt that they’d bother unless there were some compelling BoM savings to be had vs DMD/SAM at this point.

8 months later
#408 4 years ago

I finally broke down and picked up a nice Tron pro before xmas. Figured any VE would cost at least as much and probably not have as many mods, etc. anyway.

So yeah, the VE should be announced any day now...

1 month later
#528 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Speaking of Tron. I got a new record player for Christmas this year and thought I would be able to walk into a store and buy the Tron Legacy soundtrack on vinyl. Oh no. Not at all. They are going for $100+ on ebay. They need to re-release that as a VE.

Not trying to troll, but what is the appeal of using an analog music format like vinyl to play music that was composed and generated purely digitally?

#531 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Idk but they got me with the video game soundtracks lol. Still looking for Battletoads and Sonic.[quoted image]

Well they do make cool collecibles. Nice to have full-sized album cover art.

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Ding ding ding. The average family getting a game for their kids doesn’t know what Tron is. That’s why they remake games like Star Trek, Star Wars, Iron Man & Spider-Man. They have mainstream NIBNEWB appeal. Tron has always been niche & appeals specifically to retro arcade people.

This is true. I think if Stern ever vaults Tron at this point it will be a very expensive limited run, ala Beatles. Just to catch the few big fish that would pay for it. XLE only, Pro plebs need not apply.

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Universal Studios has a Waterworld show. Theme park rides have nothing to do with franchise popularity. Tron is niche. It was a horrible 80’s movie flop that has a passionate niche cult fanbase. Tron Legacy was a flop. Tron Uprising was a flop.
Tron pinball already sold on the strengths of being a great game to the pin scene & on the niche strengths of the theme to the arcade collectors. There’s nothing left to milk, aside from a few stubborn Pinsiders who refuse to buy a used one. The mainstream family pin buyer who knows nothing of Pinside or “the hobby” does not want a Tron pinball. They want Marvel, Star Wars, or something nostalgic that they actually know/like such as GB.

Bingo.

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

And yet both you and Rare Hero have a TRON pinball machine...Maybe others would like to see TRON get a VE, we can certainly pay for a used (that was more than NIB) if we like. My point is that I would like to get an updated TRON.
But that is up to Stern and not me (us) - and I think it is not just limited to a very small group of people.

I'm just saying a TRON 2020 edition with modern Prem. pricing attached wouldn't be as high a volume seller as you'd think.
I finally bought a used Tron a few months ago after coming to the conclusion that:

A) Stern was unlikely to produce a Tron LE at all (for reasons mentioned by Rarehero and others).
B) Even if they did, they would most likely cost more than current used sale prices, include a lot less in terms of mods, etc. and come with unknown PF and other component quality issues.

Tron is a fun game, no doubt, but in the current pinball market I just don't see a large number of buyers at the price point it would be, for what is now a dated SAM game with few DMD animations, simple rules, etc.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-in-2019?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.