pasted_image (resized).png
DEB5822F-950C-49C8-B1EA-D6CC0FD74F20 (resized).jpeg
20200121_172917 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png
There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.
#251 5 years ago

This is about the only game I know of that the mods get top dollar for. People always say mods dont add value but I beg to differ. I’ll take a plain unmolested pro please. Don’t need all the bling, just want to play a good game. Bring on the VE.

#252 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Generally Stern gets a 3-year deal for licenses. Historically, when a game is out of production, it's done forever. In the past, a few big sellers like Simpsons Pinball Party and Lord of the Rings had their licenses extended and games were made longer. Iron Man was the first game that was declared "dead" which later found massive popularity after the license expired, so Stern re-licensed it and called it a "Vault Edition" (kinda like when Disney movies come back on DVD or Blu-Ray...they're released from "the vault"). It had a few minor changes (new backbox design, metallic foil decals, re-molds of the action figures, light in Monger's chest, all LEDs). After that happened, everyone has been speculating constantly about every game getting a Vault re-release, especially the post-2012 new collectors who ONLY buy NIB, and can't imagine a world where they go out and find a previously owned machine.

I love that last line. It's so true.

As someone who only really got into owning Pinballs from 2013 (although a lifelong arcade nut), i can't imagine EVER buying a NIB game. I'm not a gambler & don't have the patience to wait years for a game to be 'done' before getting the maximum enjoyment from it. MY early-adopter urge to have the latest shiny things died long ago. VERY happy buying used but tidy machines with full features and complete rules, where the tweaks and fixes are documented (if not done already). I bought my IMVE 2nd or 3rd hand, but it could've been mistaken for NIB! Same for Tron Pro too - that was 2nd hand.

#253 5 years ago

I don't mind buying used at all - however I would prefer new. But I am fairly new to the hobby. I am only going to get 3 pins. I am gainfully employed but I don't have a LOT of extra money for pins - and with my love of reefing, bourbon, and poker I manage to burn quite a few bucks each month. That said, I still save up for pinball machines. I am close to having enough set aside for pinball machine #2. Right now I am leaning toward MBr this summer. Then it will be a couple of years before getting the next one. If TRON VE comes out before then I will get it. If not, TRON VE will be #3. If TRON VE still isn't out I will look at the new pins and pick from them. I am very interested in JJP Toy Story if they make that. There are tons of good machines out there - so I don't worry too much about the TRON VE. IF they make it I will get it - if not I will get something else that I like. No biggie....

#254 5 years ago

Tron lcd vault would be amazing. Let’s go Stern!!

#255 5 years ago

Why would anyone expect a Tron Pro VE to be more than Pro pricing? They only released 2 versions of the game and they ain't gonna VE the LE. If it happens, it will be a Pro. I can't see them adding LE features or redoing display effects or any of that other stuff I see discussed. Now, if mnpinball says different, I'd be inclined to believe it coming from him. LOL

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Why would anyone expect a Tron Pro VE to be more than Pro pricing?

Because people WANT it so bad. Why would they go through all the trouble to bring it back at $5500 when they could sell a ton closer to $7,000?

Not sure if everybody has figured this out yet but Stern is in this pinball racket to make some money, not win friends.

Besides, every Tron pro on earth is covered with mods and alligator clips, just makes more sense for Stern to be the ones making money off this, not the mod guys and alligator clips wholesalers.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Why would anyone expect a Tron Pro VE to be more than Pro pricing? They only released 2 versions of the game and they ain't gonna VE the LE. If it happens, it will be a Pro. I can't see them adding LE features or redoing display effects or any of that other stuff I see discussed. Now, if mnpinball says different, I'd be inclined to believe it coming from him. LOL

Are you familiar with SMVE? They made that nicer than the original and charged a price in the premium range. Will they VE the LE? No. But, don't be shocked (if it actually gets made) if they put on some ramp lights and another mod or two and charge a price similar to their premium model.

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Are you familiar with SMVE? They made that nicer than the original and charged a price in the premium range. Will they VE the LE? No. But, don't be shocked (if it actually gets made) if they put on some ramp lights and another mod or two and charge a price similar to their premium model.

I certainly am familiar with it. That was an exception because they had to do new art and dots. Additionally, the amount of mechs in Spidey is closer to a modern day premium. One other thing is Spidey VE didn't sell well because of the price. Everyone crapped on Stern because of that.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Will they VE the LE? No. But, don't be shocked (if it actually gets made) if they put on some ramp lights and another mod or two and charge a price similar to their premium model.

I brought up that the TRON VE may be a better version of TRON than the TRON LE - and people may very well prefer the Vault version more than the LE. And people got pissed as hell at me about it.

IN MY OPINION, for the most part people that own TRON (especially the LE) don't want a VE. Really seem to loath the idea. There are some exceptions - thank God.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I brought up that the TRON VE may be a better version of TRON than the TRON LE - and people may very well prefer the Vault version more than the LE. And people got pissed as hell at me about it.

Not me.. I hope stern loads it up and then some!!

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I own a Pro and LE. If a Vault was released, wouldn't effect me one bit (since they are both keepers).
My concern has to do with oversupply of games in general. Gorgeous TRON's are easily available. Manufacturing new games just so someone can have a brand new one is gluttonous. Unlike the old days, a large % of games built after 2000 are HUO, lightly played examples. If this weren't the case, I'd feel differently.
Stern recently reran Star Trek and got their butt handed to them...very light demand. I'm sure they will do their homework next time they do a re-run or Vault. TRON has been rerun several times and it's unlikely Stern will make business sense of doing a TRON Vault.

ST vault was a puzzler. There wasn't high demand that anyone knew of so perhaps this was just using up inventory of parts. I have my theory that Tron vault will be upgraded with LCD. It's the perfect game to do that to.

Rob

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

ST vault was a puzzler. There wasn't high demand that anyone knew of so perhaps this was just using up inventory of parts. I have my theory that Tron vault will be upgraded with LCD. It's the perfect game to do that to.
Rob

I really think that a lot of customers were still asking for them. I remember calling around at one point and no distributors had any left.

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

SAM doesn't support an LCD and Stern wouldn't change the entire system the game runs on to add LCD support (Spike). IF Tron VE ever happens it won't have an LCD.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

SAM doesn't support an LCD and Stern wouldn't change the entire system the game runs on to add LCD support (Spike). IF Tron VE ever happens it won't have an LCD.

That's if it isn't some kind of batman 66 scenario.

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

That's if it isn't some kind of batman 66 scenario.

I'd for real stab somebody (does myself count?) for a Tron 82 with deeper rules and Lyman at the helm.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I'd for real stab somebody (does myself count?) for a Tron 82 with deeper rules and Lyman at the helm.

TRON “82” sounds great.

LCD and all the goodies. I am in for a LE!

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

TRON “82” sounds great.
LCD and all the goodies. I am in for a LE!

I’m already preparing my video begging for the super LE just in case haha.

#268 5 years ago

Maybe not LCD but why not a larger color display like CGC remakes

#269 5 years ago

I think it’s coming and it will be a bit more special than a Pro. As long as the street price doesn’t blow by 7.5K, Stern will have plenty of takers.

#270 5 years ago

Of course SAM doesn't support LCD. The point was that if they ever decided to test the waters with rewriting a game for SPIKE 2 and LCD, Tron would be a good candidate. Whether they do that or not, that's entirely up to Stern. Maybe it's a stretch to think about, but it's not impossible.

Rob

#271 5 years ago

Agree - If TRON VE is made my bet is that it would have an LCD. May not of course...just my guess.

#272 5 years ago

If it gets remade with an LCD and new artwork and playfield upgrades then to me it wouldn't be a Vault. They could just call it "Tron 82" or something else. Like they did with Batman 66. Is Batman 66 considered a Vault?

#273 5 years ago

If TRON VE is made im in
Had a TRON LE and sold
Instant purchase without hesitation - One of Stern's Best

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Actually this would make sense as people who own a Tron might get the BM66 upgrade one as well if they are different enough. But I think Legacy is better music and hot chicks.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

If it gets remade with an LCD and new artwork and playfield upgrades then to me it wouldn't be a Vault. They could just call it "Tron 82" or something else. Like they did with Batman 66. Is Batman 66 considered a Vault?

No, as those games are incredibly different.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

IN MY OPINION, for the most part people that own TRON (especially the LE) don't want a VE. Really seem to loath the idea. There are some exceptions - thank God.

And IN MY OPINION Stern doesn't listen to owners of games when deciding to VE it or not. As a Tron owner, I'm totally fine with Stern creating a VE model of Tron. It's a great game, and if more people can own it, that's awesome.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from MrTilt:

If TRON VE is made im in
Had a TRON LE and sold
Instant purchase without hesitation - One of Stern's Best

I sold my Tron Pro 2012 edition a few years ago to fund The Walking Dead. If Tron is released as a Vault Edition in the next 12 months, I'd love to replace it.

#278 5 years ago

I wasn’t even thinking tron 82 as a kappow title but I could see that happening.

Money.

It’s a great game though all around. Tron tron tron.

#279 5 years ago

Man the thought of Tron 82 really excites me.

#280 5 years ago

Classic 80s would be sweet.. But I do like the Daft Punk music better than the original Wendy Carlos

#281 5 years ago

Make it classic 80s but keep the Daft Punk music.

#282 5 years ago

This is my favorite from the original soundtrack.

Anthem.

1 month later
#283 5 years ago

My feeling is if Stern does a VE it will be priced as a premium and include everything the LE did minus the 3D translite.

It would make sense to upgrade to LCD/Spike2 as well as the video stuff on the DMD is hideous at best. I’m pretty confident they can run the actual SAM game code on Spike2 boards with minimal effort, the service menus are still all DMD versions, for example. Plus the video from the movie looks fantastic as-is and wouldn’t need a lot of additional graphics created, you could lean pretty heavily on it for the display content.

So yeah, and LCD Tron VE would be awesome. Though I doubt that they’d bother unless there were some compelling BoM savings to be had vs DMD/SAM at this point.

#284 5 years ago

If they did vault edition with lighted ramps, drop targets and draft punk multiball, no moving recognizes, no chrome, no special translight, no plaque....I don’t care how many pro editions they made back in the day..... they would sell 500-600 more games. Just my 2 cents

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

My feeling is if Stern does a VE it will be priced as a premium and include everything the LE did minus the 3D translite.
It would make sense to upgrade to LCD/Spike2 as well as the video stuff on the DMD is hideous at best. I’m pretty confident they can run the actual SAM game code on Spike2 boards with minimal effort, the service menus are still all DMD versions, for example. Plus the video from the movie looks fantastic as-is and wouldn’t need a lot of additional graphics created, you could lean pretty heavily on it for the display content.
So yeah, and LCD Tron VE would be awesome. Though I doubt that they’d bother unless there were some compelling BoM savings to be had vs DMD/SAM at this point.

They can'r run SAM code on SPIKE. The two systems work completely differently. The code would have to be ported.

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

They can'r run SAM code on SPIKE. The two systems work completely differently. The code would have to be ported.

They run the SAM menus on Spike... Maybe they could emulate SAM game code on Spike too? I don't see it happening but it might be possible.

#287 5 years ago

Code can be ported to other systems, even different languages. If you have the source code you are in very good shape to port it - and you don't need emulation (unless you want to go that route). I am in software development - happens all the time. They aren't 'stuck' on past platforms for VEs unless they want to be.

#288 5 years ago

They run the SAM menus on Spike... Maybe they could emulate SAM game code on Spike too? I don't see it happening but it might be possible.

The menus have the same appearance as SAM, but that doesn’t mean they are running SAM code. Whitestar looked the same too.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Code can be ported to other systems, even different languages. If you have the source code you are in very good shape to port it - and you don't need emulation (unless you want to go that route). I am in software development - happens all the time. They aren't 'stuck' on past platforms for VEs unless they want to be.

Agreed. There is an effort, but it can be done.

#290 5 years ago

Anything can be done. (And I hope WILL be done). IMO.

If I could have my way, it would be a tron 82 retheme vault.

It won't be as easy to take my money after I get a tron in the living room... I can stop obsessing.

#291 5 years ago

It’s not a ve, but I have a heavily modded Tron pro in the marketplace for trade!

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

please don't compare that turd of a vault with one of sterns best. what a joke that game turned out to be.

#294 5 years ago

shit ton of trons for sale right now. something in the air?

#295 5 years ago

the price is high so people are selling.

I had offer for $7K for mine but decided to keep because I am not sure if will be made again.

I think will be made some time but can not be certain. Anyways (IMO) if they make a vault might be like the prior pro editions so will need $1-2K in mods to get up to a lot of the for sale pins. Same price net-net. I mean the Tron Vault will cost $5600 then $1-2K in mods ($7K either way nicely loaded).

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am an original owner of a Tron Pro and I’d still be tempted on a VE if they managed to spin it like the original Tron somehow. Not sure how they’d pull that off though.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I am an original owner of a Tron Pro and I’d still be tempted on a VE if they managed to spin it like the original Tron somehow. Not sure how they’d pull that off though.

I'm a Tron owner and would DEFINITELY go for a Tron 82....unless they left Bit out of the game....then I would call bullsh*t.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

shit ton of trons for sale right now. something in the air?

There will always be some with insider info on what is coming. It happened with IMVE and also with ACDC Luci. In both cases you saw games suddenly for sale, some still NIB, just a few weeks before the VE were officially announced.

And it could be fueled by mere speculation and others suddenly for sale.

Rob

#299 5 years ago

I still don't understand the Tron pricing game. The vault comes out, it's going to be priced higher than a pro otherwise Stern has decided to sell a bare bone release of Tron and guys will spend 1-2k modding them.

With that pricing, aren't we back at where a nice Tron pro is now? Where does the plummet really happen?

Even better question on the LE - Stern would never vault a game that incorporates code from LE - they confirmed this when vaults became a reality. I'm not sure if they would take features like the El wires from it either. Therefore I really don't see any impact at all on the LE.

Maybe I'm missing something?

#300 5 years ago

Yeah but if they did a bare bones remake of the pro can they justify the current pro price? The new pros have so much more going on with RGB inserts, color display, etc. If it’s SAM or Whitestar with original dots it should be under $5K. I think a lot of people would be in at this price range.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Trade
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-in-2019/page/6?hl=loveneverdiesguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.