pasted_image (resized).png
DEB5822F-950C-49C8-B1EA-D6CC0FD74F20 (resized).jpeg
20200121_172917 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png
There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

One thing is for sure. TRON vault is undoubtedly by far the most requested vault by pinside. Countless threads, over years and years. To the point of being saturated with 'beating a dead horse' gifs and the like. It has been, and continues to be, THE vault that is practically begged for by pinsiders.
The other frequent pin request that is a distant second is Jaws. And for the life of me I am amazed that Stern has made neither. Almost funny how stern isn't making them.

I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of sales on the table for Stern.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The other frequent pin request that is a distant second is Jaws.

1) I think for TRONVE not to have happened by now has to mean there is something preventing it that the unprivileged don’t know, maybe something that is unlikely to ever change. For the record I don’t think a VE will happen (wish it would, pinball is fun, and that title in particular) simply because my understanding is new title releases continue to do very well overall. Assuming from a manufacturing standpoint it is simply way more convenient to keep making Spike2’s (and thus more profitable on the mfg side at least)

2) yes JAWS! Please! Auto blind LE purchase!

_~_~_~__/|__~_~_~

(The sea, with a fin sticking up, never could draw...)

#203 5 years ago

I’d bet Stern *could sell* 300-500 Tron Vault which would be a pro version with full LEDs but no 3D translight and no lighted ramps. Price at $5595.

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I don't want to drive anywhere to get one. I want it delivered NIB straight to my door.
No matter what anyone says, I just don't get the resistance to a Vault. Makes no sense to me. There is obvious demand, not from you, but from a lot of others.
I purchase pins very infrequently. I'd rather just buy new and have it shipped straight to my door versus driving all day and dealing with someone I don't know.

99% of the pins I've owned have been "shipped straight to my door" (from other collectors). I totally "get" why you aren't interested in driving all day and dealing with strangers (carrying bundles of cash

Part of the fun of pinball collecting is "hunting" for great games (and the collectors that baby/restore them). Pinside obviously enables this big-time. Learning how to evaluate games with photos is part of the fun. Most of us who buy/sell games are reviewed on Pinside...you have an entire community to support you. FS threads often help valuing a game (so you don't get ripped off).

I get your attraction to "Vaults", however the hobby would be really boring if you let it revolve around Stern stepping up Vault production. Personally, I'd much prefer Stern to focus their attention on building new/innovative games.

#205 5 years ago

If people don't want to see TronVE made, there is one simple way to kill it. Sell me your Tron pinball for $4500. If enough people depress the secondary market, Stern won't think it is worth their time, and will move to more expensive VE, or a new title.

TronVE will happen because of the greed of buyers and sellers, working together, to raise prices. But if any noble person here wants to do their part to kill TronVE, please PM me and sell me your Tron pinball for $4500. I will do my duty to the pinball community and the greater good by helping lowering the market price by buying it from you.

#206 5 years ago

(Full disclosure: I'm invested in a Tron pro) but seriously in the current climate of pending oversaturation/too much competition...really? TronVE would be standing still/microwaving while you're the big bully on the block with (in some instances) 10 or more times the infrastructure/employees...while JJP grows more entrenched with new titles, Deeproot gets going with new titles, Spooky keeps going with new titles inc. Danesi #2, Chicago Gaming releases their highly successful remakes...these little guys are growing and soon will be 20% 30% the size of Stern and Stern will start to feel it as a finite pie gets divided.

If I were Stern, I would keep pushing forward as we move towards market saturation. New titles, stay creative and relevant and get new stuff to operators (not selling a couple hundred Trons to pinheads). And try to keep market dominance. IMO 2019 isn't the time for vault editions.

I say this was some ambivalence, as I actually love quite a bit (and own) JJP and Spooky machines...but this makes more sense for Stern.

...and release TronVE maybe in 2023 or so when the storm is over and the market is depleted again.

Just my .02

#207 5 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

1> In all likelihood, it will have the retro-Tron artwork

That would be a catastrophe. Stern got the “it factor” just right with Tron and the call outs from Tron Legacy were perfect for pinball. The world under glass is there for Tron, why mess that up with going back to the original movie?

If a VE comes, I wouldn’t mind a better art package but it needs to stay focused on the newer movie.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

these little guys are growing and soon will be 20% 30% the size of Stern and Stern will start to feel it as a finite pie gets divided.

I think every other pinball manufacturer combined is somewhere between 5-10% of the total pinball market for NIB machines. Suggesting that any of them are close to or will be close to 20-30% of the market any time soon seems unlikely.

I think Stern is a manufacturer first and a pinball company second. They will make whatever keeps the line running. If they need a VE due to a disappointing conerstone title or no contract game or for some other reason they will run a VE. If they don’t need to look backwards to keep the line running they won’t. Just my two cents.

#209 5 years ago

I don't get this crab bucket mentality with Tron owners. It just shows that you overpaid for your 7k+ Tron by being so afraid of a new remake that will diminish the value of your used game. Which is absolutely will. Tron is a great game, but it isn't a 7k+ game. Regardless if you spent 1500 extra gluing toys to it. If I felt it was worth 7k I would've bought one but there are much better games to buy at that price range. That's why I think Stern should release a VE in a Pro or premium price point to appease buyers like myself. The market is there. Lets do this STERN!!

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think every other pinball manufacturer combined is somewhere between 5-10% of the total pinball market for NIB machines. Suggesting that any of them are close to or will be close to 20-30% of the market any time soon seems unlikely.

I agree with this. CGC is the only real competition for Stern at this point. JJP is way overpriced and the games aren't great, Deeproot is vaporware, Spooky is homebrew. No real competition right now. Stern is the only company that produces a solid quality fun machine at a affordable price point in a timely manner.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I own a Pro and LE. If a Vault was released, wouldn't effect me one bit (since they are both keepers).
My concern has to do with oversupply of games in general. Gorgeous TRON's are easily available. Manufacturing new games just so someone can have a brand new one is gluttonous. Unlike the old days, a large % of games built after 2000 are HUO, lightly played examples. If this weren't the case, I'd feel differently.
Stern recently reran Star Trek and got their butt handed to them...very light demand. I'm sure they will do their homework next time they do a re-run or Vault. TRON has been rerun several times and it's unlikely Stern will make business sense of doing a TRON Vault.

Gluttonous? So the world is just overflowing with cheap, pristine Tron pins and Stern would have trouble selling new ones? Seriously? I see a few in the marketplace but non under $7000 and none available for shipping. Finding one is not that easy and always easier to just order a NIB on the phone and have it delivered with warranty. If I was looking for a Tron, I would rather buy a NIB than used every day of the week if prices were similar. I do question those that expect Stern to sell an upgrade Tron vault for current pro money or less. That's not happening. However, if there are people willing to spend $7000+ on a used Tron, I don't think Stern would have a problem selling a few vaults at a premium price. A few more Trons out there is not going to crash the pin market.

How do you know Stern got their "butt handed to them" on ST vaults? They probably did a small run of them to meet demand of some distributors. It was probably very easy to do so because ST was in production not long before. ST is a great game and there are people still looking for one. Same for MET. There are plenty of them out there but demand for new ones was strong enough to where they were in production for years.

#212 5 years ago

To quote the movie, "Bad News Bears in Breaking Training"...

LET THEM PLAY, LET THEM PLAY!

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I agree with this. CGC is the only real competition for Stern at this point. JJP is way overpriced and the games aren't great, Deeproot is vaporware, Spooky is homebrew. No real competition right now. Stern is the only company that produces a solid quality fun machine at a affordable price point in a timely manner.

I disagree. JJP titles are fantastic, deep and evocative. Spooky was homebrew but is getting better (would you purchase Munsters or ACNC? Not as clear a choice as you might think?). To each his own, but from my experience/collection including TZ, AFM remake, TNA, Tron pro, GoT LE, TS, TH with current code, STTNG...some of those are old but to flat out say Stern is superior is a bit much IMO.

#214 5 years ago

Think Mcfly, think!

#215 5 years ago

For the uninitiated such as myself, what is a Stern Vault?

I assumed it was a re-release but with bells and whistles, but people are talking about it being more like something that would fit in-between Pro and LE?

I have a Tron LE so would naturally be a little bit miffed about the value dropping precipitously, but not enough that I would want anyone not to have the opportunity to enjoy it - it is an awesome pin.

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

99% of the pins I've owned have been "shipped straight to my door" (from other collectors). I totally "get" why you aren't interested in driving all day and dealing with strangers (carrying bundles of cash
Part of the fun of pinball collecting is "hunting" for great games (and the collectors that baby/restore them). Pinside obviously enables this big-time. Learning how to evaluate games with photos is part of the fun. Most of us who buy/sell games are reviewed on Pinside...you have an entire community to support you. FS threads often help valuing a game (so you don't get ripped off).
I get your attraction to "Vaults", however the hobby would be really boring if you let it revolve around Stern stepping up Vault production. Personally, I'd much prefer Stern to focus their attention on building new/innovative games.

I'm just saying look at my collection. I have one pin now so clearly I don't buy often. When I do buy my next one I'd rather just get it shipped to me new. I don't have time in my life or money to fix on pins.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

CGC puts out a very nice product. Last Stern I bought was ST pro and i wasn't super happy with the quality.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

CGC puts out a very nice product. Last Stern I bought was ST pro and i wasn't super happy with the quality.

Well I think the issue is they put out so many more games than others you're going to see issues pop up my visibly than other manufacturers. Check the JJP threads though. Every single one comes out of the box broken. I don't know that I've seen someone pull one out and it works 100%. I own 2 CGC games and they are amazing quality. No issues.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I own a Pro and LE. If a Vault was released, wouldn't effect me one bit (since they are both keepers).
My concern has to do with oversupply of games in general. Gorgeous TRON's are easily available. Manufacturing new games just so someone can have a brand new one is gluttonous. Unlike the old days, a large % of games built after 2000 are HUO, lightly played examples. If this weren't the case, I'd feel differently.
Stern recently reran Star Trek and got their butt handed to them...very light demand. I'm sure they will do their homework next time they do a re-run or Vault. TRON has been rerun several times and it's unlikely Stern will make business sense of doing a TRON Vault.

If Stern had done their homework they would have vaulted Tron or LOTR. They did say that they did ST because of constant requests from distributors , but were there really more requests for that than there are for Tron? I see vaults as potential filler games when there might be lull on the line. However, with the various side projects along with the cornerstone games there hasn't been a feeling of a lull. Hopefully they have a desirable vault lined up for when they need to fill a week or two on the line. There are a lot of nice new games coming out right now, so who knows how any vault would do.

#220 5 years ago

Business sense would help Stern. Maybe a lot of people don’t want their current lineup of games I haven’t thought of buying a new Stern since ST. Those folks might see $6000 AFM Classic remake as the deal of the century. Or may see another competitor like Spooky or JJP has more desirable pins. Any sales Stern makes will come from a competitor or from Stern itself. If it steals sales from its own lineup at least it’s still going to Stern’s bottom line.

#221 5 years ago

Stern will bulld a fairly loaded Tron Vault for $7,500 and hire part time employees to do nothing more than count all of the cash.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

How do you know Stern got their "butt handed to them" on ST vaults?

I've been buying NIB Stern's for 15 years...as a result, I know lots of distributors that have insight/data on what sells and what doesn't.

Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I'm just saying look at my collection. I have one pin now so clearly I don't buy often. When I do buy my next one I'd rather just get it shipped to me new. I don't have time in my life or money to fix on pins.

I get it, but pinball ownership involves fixing shit (NIB or not). I know you won't believe me, but I've spent more time "fixing" my IMDN Premium than most of my old school B/W games (that have been rock solid for many years). I also spent 1 month fixing/tweaking my DILE (a very expensive, NIB game). The point: pinball manufacturing has become "hit or miss" and this belief/dream that NIB implies flawless is a fantasy. I've owned well over 50 games...I speak from experience. All the games I buy are high-end show pieces...

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I think for TRONVE not to have happened by now has to mean there is something preventing it that the unprivileged don’t know, maybe something that is unlikely to ever change.

Possibilities:

1. Demand isn't as high as Pinside thinks it is.

2. Licensing issues:
a. Disney doesn't care enough about the license to bother with it.
b. Re-licensing the Daft Punk music is too expensive for a low run Vault.
c. Re-negotiating actor likenesses might be too expensive/difficult for a low run Vault.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

For the uninitiated such as myself, what is a Stern Vault?

Generally Stern gets a 3-year deal for licenses. Historically, when a game is out of production, it's done forever. In the past, a few big sellers like Simpsons Pinball Party and Lord of the Rings had their licenses extended and games were made longer. Iron Man was the first game that was declared "dead" which later found massive popularity after the license expired, so Stern re-licensed it and called it a "Vault Edition" (kinda like when Disney movies come back on DVD or Blu-Ray...they're released from "the vault"). It had a few minor changes (new backbox design, metallic foil decals, re-molds of the action figures, light in Monger's chest, all LEDs). After that happened, everyone has been speculating constantly about every game getting a Vault re-release, especially the post-2012 new collectors who ONLY buy NIB, and can't imagine a world where they go out and find a previously owned machine.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Possibilities:
1. Demand isn't as high as Pinside thinks it is.
2. Licensing issues:
a. Disney doesn't care enough about the license to bother with it.
b. Re-licensing the Daft Punk music is too expensive for a low run Vault.
c. Re-negotiating actor likenesses might be too expensive/difficult for a low run Vault.

1. Unlikely
2. Possibly

or

3. Pure speculation: It is being developed now and will be announced soon'ish'

#226 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It is being developed now and will be announced soon'ish'

Why are you talking about that like it's a fact? That's never been confirmed by the reliable rumor mill.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why are you talking about that like it's a fact? That's never been confirmed by the reliable rumor mill.

Not a fact at all - just a possibility is all.

I have zero evidence of a TRON or any other vault.

My point is - you gave 2 possible reasons (effectively) for why Stern hasn't done it.

1. Not enough interest in TRON vault
2. Can't secure licenses

I added a 3rd. The reason it hasn't came out is that they are still/currently working on it.

I will edit my former post to avoid confusion.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disney doesn't care enough about the license to bother with it.

If Disney did not care about TRON, why would they be building a brand new TRON ride that opens in 2021 ???

Yeah.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If Disney did not care about TRON, why would they be building a brand new TRON ride that opens in 2021 ???
Yeah.

Not only that - they are promoting the TRON rides opening to celebrate Walt Disney Worlds 50th anniversary. Makes me think 2021 may be the vault year - and not this year (or next). So again, it may be quite a bit longer wait for TRON VE hopefuls.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah.

Cuz rides are cool? Universal Studios has a Waterworld attraction, FFS...theme parks are different than consumer products.

Tron 3 canceled.
Tron Uprising canceled.

They've given up on making it an ongoing thing.

#231 5 years ago

Yeah I wasn't aware ride = upcoming movie.

But that's cool cause I've been praying for a Toad's Wild Ride flick.

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah.

Simply because it is a copy of an attraction they already got China to pay for... hence it's dirt cheap for Disney to deploy it in the MK where they desperately need capacity and some refreshes to take the pressure off Space Mountain so it can be rebuilt.

They are using TRON because it's 'future-y' - not because it's TRON.

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cuz rides are cool? Universal Studios has a Waterworld attraction, FFS...theme parks are different than consumer products.
Tron 3 canceled.
Tron Uprising canceled.
They've given up on making it an ongoing thing.

My understanding is that the main reason for TRON 3 cancel was due to the Marvel Universe movies getting all the love and focus.
TRON uprising - have no idea - I don't even watch that show (even though I have seen 1 or 2 episodes). I couldn't get into it.

You may be right and Disney doesn't care for TRON as much - but would they reject a license for pinball due to that? They seem to be OK with it enough to poor millions into building the ride. So who knows...

Maybe they are selective. For pinball and amusement park rides it is cool - for movies and TV shows not so much.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They are using TRON because it's 'future-y' - not because it's TRON.

They own the license - and it is well known (maybe not super popular) - so why not use it

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

They own the license - and it is well known (maybe not super popular) - so why not use it

Tron is Disney's red-headed stepchild. The theme has very passionate fans....but not many compared to their other characters and franchises. Every attempt to bring it back and make it a thing more people care about has failed. Disneyland had a Flynn's arcade for a little bit...but they tore it down. I thought Tron Uprising was great...better than the movies, IMO...but it's just too little too late. Had a show like that come out in the 90's when Batman: The Animated Series was big, I think it could have made a splash.

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Point is... they didn't set off to say "you know what... we really need a TRON attraction for the MK!" - Instead, the existing TRON attraction fit their need and is still fresh as up until now, it's been a Shanghi Disneyland exclusive.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disneyland had a Flynn's arcade for a little bit...but they tore it down

Starcade in DL was based on ... arcades. And it lasted until just recent years.. not really TRON attached even tho they have used TRON elements.

As part of the Dance parties created in DCA used to hold crowds until World of Color opened... they used the TRON theme in elecTRONica which was very popular as a dance party plus a replica of the arcade from the movie. But eventually the theme was replaced with the Alice in Wonderland theme... and it too eventually was closed down.

TL : DR - the Dance parties (and their themes) in DCA were always temporary entertainment.

#238 5 years ago

I liked the Tron animated Series.
Hoping a second season is coming.

#239 5 years ago

It may be a dead license - but I am still excited to see and ride it. It looks amazing - especially lit up at night!

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/attractions/tron-lightcycle-power-run/?CMP=ILC-DPFY19Q1wo1101180001A

#240 5 years ago

Why would Disney turn down easy money?

If anything, Disney is always about the money.

#241 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Universal Studios has a Waterworld attraction, FFS...theme parks are different than consumer products.

Can't wait for Waterworld VE. I'll wait till next year to start a thread.

#242 5 years ago

The only thing that would excite me more than a tron v e would be a whole entirely new game based on the old movie.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Can't wait for Waterworld VE. I'll wait till next year to start a thread.

Why wait

#244 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They are using TRON because it's 'future-y'

If there is one thing that America hates, it's future-y

song-of-the-south (resized).jpgsong-of-the-south (resized).jpg
#245 5 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

I liked the Tron animated Series.
Hoping a second season is coming.

It's LONG dead. It was canceled about 7 years ago!!! The only action shows on Disney XD now are Marvel (Spider-Man, GOTG)

#246 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I don't get this crab bucket mentality with Tron owners. It just shows that you overpaid for your 7k+ Tron by being so afraid of a new remake that will diminish the value of your used game. Which is absolutely will. Tron is a great game, but it isn't a 7k+ game. Regardless if you spent 1500 extra gluing toys to it. If I felt it was worth 7k I would've bought one but there are much better games to buy at that price range. That's why I think Stern should release a VE in a Pro or premium price point to appease buyers like myself. The market is there. Lets do this STERN!!

Well really I’ve watched the value of my Tron rise and fall many times. Each new run Stern did fluctuated the market. I could always tell when a new run was coming because there were a bunch of NIB available on the secondary market. Then the new run would happen, and they started climbing again. I never cared because it was Tron, and I always valued the game more than the price I could get. But at 7k for a game I’ve played a thousand times, of course I’d sell it. Anyone would. But if it doesn’t sell at that, I don’t care. Say they release a VE tomorrow and my Tron plummeted to being worth 4k. I’m still playing Tron

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

....and a remake would allow another batch of ramps to be made.....

PM me what type of Tron ramps anyone is looking for. I think I might have one in storage.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Lol, come on now, the toys on my Trons playfield are held in place by double sided tape!!

#249 5 years ago
Quoted from athenspin:

Lol, come on now, the toys on my Trons playfield are held in place by double sided tape!!

#250 5 years ago

They need to remake this. There is a Tron Pro for $8500 in the marketplace. $8500!!!

No way it’ll sell near that, but still there’s lots of coin to be made.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Trade
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-in-2019/page/5?hl=loveneverdiesguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.