pasted_image (resized).png
DEB5822F-950C-49C8-B1EA-D6CC0FD74F20 (resized).jpeg
20200121_172917 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png

There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Do a vault edition of Ghostbusters - Tron - Game of Thrones - Metallica and add a full color screen with clips from the movie, tv show or the band. Otherwise why what is the point.

Whoa whoa whoa. Metallica has some of the best dots out there (especially color dmd). I would never take clips of the band playing over the existing dots. Freaking AC/DC....

#452 4 years ago

So, it looks like this time it might be true.........I love Tron, I'll be happy if more people get one. It is top ten pin in my book, even with the DMD.

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

A smart decision...I've been saying this for years. I've owned 3 TRON's, and all have been rock solid (still own 2). An amazing game.

Second this. I'd be interested in picking up someone's LE over a VE though. I missed out on the one local to me. But maybe more will come around now

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

So, it looks like this time it might be true.........I love Tron, I'll be happy if more people get one. It is top ten pin in my book, even with the DMD.

Agree. Maybe the photo is a troll job but that’s ok.
Hope it happens at some point.

#455 4 years ago

I sold my Tron a few years ago and miss it.. I was an original owner of an LE and had it up until then.

With a vault I would hope for a new art package, kind of like what they did with Spiderman or Star Wars (although it doesn't have to be comic related, just better art). Would be awesome if they upgraded the screen and added lights to the ramps, but I'm not expecting it.

I live in Florida and you can see the new Tron Rollercoaster going up at Epcot Center, so Tron is alive and well and would sell well with a vault!

#456 4 years ago

LE owner here and I hope they vault this game.

Tron is a great pin that hopefully more people can enjoy as NIB .

FB1A8FCB-C879-405A-AE54-EC591A0BDD75 (resized).jpegFB1A8FCB-C879-405A-AE54-EC591A0BDD75 (resized).jpeg
#457 4 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I sold my Tron a few years ago and miss it.. I was an original owner of an LE and had it up until then.
With a vault I would hope for a new art package, kind of like what they did with Spiderman or Star Wars (although it doesn't have to be comic related, just better art). Would be awesome if they upgraded the screen and added lights to the ramps, but I'm not expecting it.
I live in Florida and you can see the new Tron Rollercoaster going up at Epcot Center, so Tron is alive and well and would sell well with a vault!

Magic kingdom. Epcot is getting a ride based on another good pin (gotg). If this happens I will wonder how much of the reason is due to the new ( in the USA at least) Tron coaster

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Magic kingdom. Epcot is getting a ride based on another good pin (gotg). If this happens I will wonder how much of the reason is due to the new ( in the USA at least) Tron coaster

You are absolutely right, Magic Kingdom! Saw it last week when my wife and I rode the "peoplemover" and they are making great progress! It looks huge and I'm hoping it's as cool as the Tron ride in Shanghai.

I got mixed up because there is a ton of construction at Epcot and that made me think it was over there. But in my defense, my wife is the Disney freak, I'm just along for the ride since we have annual passes.

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Agree. Maybe the photo is a troll job but that’s ok.
Hope it happens at some point.

Perhaps this news is related to this .....

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-reportedly-developing-tron-reboot/

#460 4 years ago

You have to be totally kidding yourself. I think you'd be drastically outvoted on that idea. Full color screen, clips of the band, fire, destruction, on a full color screen or dot matrix with a color dmd. Hmmm...

Lets move over to Tron, dot matrix or clips from the movie... hmmmm.

Ghostbusters clips of Bill Murray, Marshmallow, Slimmer, etc or dot matrix.... hmmmm.

I'm going to disagree with you there buddy!!! I think once you had them side by side you'd agree with me. As for Game of Thrones the entire show is over now is the time to do a GOT pinball with the clips. Now you can have modes to destroy the Ice King, save the 7 Kingdoms, destroy Kings Landing, all with real movie clips. Who wouldn't want that inside of a Spike 2 system?

You wouldn't have to redesign the entire game, just reprogram the game. This is what would happen... the day those games came out you'd see a lot of the old ones for sale!

Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Whoa whoa whoa. Metallica has some of the best dots out there (especially color dmd). I would never take clips of the band playing over the existing dots. Freaking AC/DC....

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

You have to be totally kidding yourself. I think you'd be drastically outvoted on that idea. Full color screen, clips of the band, fire, destruction, on a full color screen or dot matrix with a color dmd. Hmmm...
Ghostbusters clips of Bill Murray, Marshmallow, Slimmer, etc or dot matrix.... hmmmm.
I'm going to disagree with you there buddy!!! I think once you had them side by side you'd agree with me. As for Game of Thrones the entire show is over now is the time to do a GOT pinball with the clips. Now you can have modes to destroy the Ice King, save the 7 Kingdoms, destroy Kings Landing, all with real movie clips. Who wouldn't want that inside of a Spike 2 system?
You wouldn't have to redesign the entire game, just reprogram the game. This is what would happen... the day those games came out you'd see a lot of the old ones for sale!

Custom dots every day of the week for me.

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Same with me at this point. Maybe as video assets become better and more imaginative I may change my mind, but there's something distinct with DMD that is missing with LCD at this point, even though in some cases it is just video converted to DMD aspect. Mostly, I suppose because many of the licensed themes just throw clips of shows on...and bad 3D assets, etc. They just seem not quite integrated properly. I think Dialed In is done pretty well, but IMO it works more because it's an original without TV clips to use. I feel the TV/Movie clip usage is just lazy.

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Custom dots (in color) look classy & retro. They fit pinball. Almost every LCD game so far looks like a poorly dated 90’s PC CD-ROM. Which retro game aesthetics are more appreciated today? NES/SNES/Genesis, or Phillips CD-I?

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Custom dots (in color) look classy & retro. They fit pinball. Almost every LCD game so far looks like a poorly dated 90’s PC CD-ROM. Which retro game aesthetics are more appreciated today? NES/SNES/Genesis, or Phillips CD-I?

Philips CD-I - I early adopted that piece of shit

#465 4 years ago

Stern just posted this to facebook and took it down right away, no idea what it means.

Stern Zeppelin.pngStern Zeppelin.png

#466 4 years ago

They supposedly have the Rush licence.

Presume that pic is Rush?!

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

F0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).pngF0B429A5-1203-467A-958D-F6218CA5E61B (resized).png

#468 4 years ago

Led Zeppelin

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Man aren’t you a little hung up on this?

People aren’t expecting Pixar quality animations on their pinball machines. Everything I’ve seen looks fine to me.

#470 4 years ago

Oh!

Well, they supposedly have licence for Led Zep and Rush, but looks like Led Zep is coming soon.

And maybe not a Quicksilver layout but a cornerstone title, according to mnpinball.

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

they ruined a perfectly good Spiderman pinball.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People aren’t expecting Pixar quality animations on their pinball machines. Everything I’ve seen looks fine to me.

And you’re hung up on never understanding what I mean. Display art direction doesn’t mean it has to look like Pixar. Hence, I prefer great dots to shitty HD CG.

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

And you’re hung up on never understanding what I mean. Display art direction doesn’t mean it has to look like Pixar. Hence, I prefer great dots to shitty HD CG.

For me, it's the image/sound/shot choreography that makes a game shine. Random, poorly choreographed art (low-res dots or high-res cg) doesn't really add to the player experience.

#474 4 years ago

I'd be happy with the ramps being made again. I am the second owner of my PRO and it'll never get sold.

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from smoothbore19:

I'd be happy with the ramps being made again. I am the second owner of my PRO and it'll never get sold.

Didn't realize the ramps were out of production! Glad the LE I purchased came with a set of new LE ramps...

Might want to contact Marco or Stern to see if they plan on running these again.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I agree with you. I think my main issue with the video is how they just phoned it in on games like gotg. It is literally just overdubbed movie clips that have zero integration into the gameplay. I prefer dots.over that. Like Star trek is a great example where they used cartoon art and had some custom scenes that interact perfect with the machine. I think they nailed it with Deadpool though. I love the throwback 16 bit style. It all fits together.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Stern just posted this to facebook and took it down right away, no idea what it means.
[quoted image]

It means Gary Stern is going to play keyboards and bass in a reunited Led Zeppelin...including Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Jason Bonham !!

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Holy Fuck I feel old. Somebody take me out back and shoot me.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Screenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191230-233655_Google (resized).jpg
#480 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No it doesn’t. It looks like shit and you know it. And for $9k you’re gawdamn right I expect Pixar quality animations or else a quality wood playfield that does not look like the moons surface after 20 plays, or at the very least a automotive clear coat that doesn’t chip after 30 plays in an HUO environment.

1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg1168CCBC-2C99-4814-AFA2-40C0104EF169 (resized).jpeg
#481 4 years ago

I might be crazy but I think the display animations on most Spike 2 games look great. I mean, yeah, it looks like a computer game. It IS a computer game, with a pinball machine attached. Maybe it helps that I don't play console games or expect Hollywood-caliber CGI at 4K 60fps? All I know is I played a bunch of JP2 last night and it looks awesome.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I might be crazy but I think the display animations on most Spike 2 games look great. I mean, yeah, it looks like a computer game. It IS a computer game, with a pinball machine attached. Maybe it helps that I don't play console games or expect Hollywood-caliber CGI at 4K 60fps? All I know is I played a bunch of JP2 last night and it looks awesome.

I agree. I'm playing JP2 more than any other NIB game I've owned in the past several years. Really hard/addictive game. I think the callouts & shot choreography could be improved, but the look & quality of the images work for me as well. With the exception of post pauses & MB intros, I can't say I'm looking at the LCD very often...

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree. I'm playing JP2 more than any other NIB game I've owned in the past several years. Really hard/addictive game. I think the callouts & shot choreography could be improved, but the look & quality of the images work for me as well. With the exception of post pauses & MB intros, I can't say I'm looking at the LCD very often...

Totally agree...the Stern LCD's are just fine for pinball and if you're staring at it WTF are you doing anyway ? ...

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I dont so much care about the animation quality as an LCD giving more ability to show game progress. I like that Iron Maiden has a good chunk of what you need to know right there at most times. No cradling up like in Metallica to check how many items I need to progress

2 weeks later
#485 4 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

I wanted a tron VE for years now but justed picked up a pro. Original run, built like a tank. I dont trust Sterns quality anymore. They haven't made a consistently solid playfield in years. That's what pushed me.

Agreed. I did the same thing. Bought a loaded Pro last fall.

Playfield is great and the figured even if a VE is announced, the reality is the build quality and QC of the originals will still be significantly better.

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If they did a vault they would most certainly build a premium with all the same shit as the LE has.
They might ONLY do a premium like they did with spider man. Why leave money on the table and cannibalize other Pro sales? Nobody seems to want a pro of this title anyway.

Seriously? LOL. Modded pro's are basically the same as LE's.

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Seriously? LOL. Modded pro's are basically the same as LE's.

Not true...Daft Punk Multi Ball is the SH1t!

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

Not true...Daft Punk Multi Ball is the SH1t!

Nice but not worth an additional 2-3k IMO.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I dont so much care about the animation quality as an LCD giving more ability to show game progress. I like that Iron Maiden has a good chunk of what you need to know right there at most times. No cradling up like in Metallica to check how many items I need to progress

That would work great for Tron knowing when you are in super pops or double scoring with the display like Maiden rather than the tiny un labeled dots on Tron display.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That would work great for Tron knowing when you are in super pops or double scoring with the display like Maiden rather than the tiny un labeled dots on Tron display.

ColorDMD solves that by colorizing those status dots.

#491 4 years ago

As someone who as owned both versions and is not biased those who are saying a moded Pro is just as good as LE are full of it. Why does everything have to be a dick measuring contest? Can't the pro and LE owners just enjoy their machines for what they are without having to justify why theirs is better. You can tell without even looking at someones collection which version they own just based on their comments.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

Nice but not worth an additional 2-3k IMO.

That is your option and you are of course entitled to it. However I feel at least you are getting some nice tangible features for the extra money compared to what Stern charges today for a Premium over the Pro and the LE over the Premium. Not sure if this list is 100% accurate however it shows some of the extras they put into the LE.

Color changing lighted ramps
Daft Punk Multiball
Silver around PF inserts (I believe extra clearcoat as well)
Drop targets instead of stand-ups
Moving Recognizer
LED insert PCBs (could be viewed as negative however is still a difference)
Alternating color flashers under the spinner
Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
Chrome trim
Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
Metal PF rails
Traditional lockdown bar and receiver

#492 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

As someone who as owned both versions and is not biased those who are saying a moded Pro is just as good as LE are full of it. Why does everything have to be a dick measuring contest? Can't the pro and LE owners just enjoy their machines for what they are without having to justify why theirs is better. You can tell without even looking at someones collection which version they own just based on their comments.

That is your option and you are of course entitled to it. However I feel at least you are getting some nice tangible features for the extra money compared to what Stern charges today for a Premium over the Pro and the LE over the Premium. Not sure if this list is 100% accurate however it shows some of the extras they put into the LE.
Color changing lighted ramps
Daft Punk Multiball
Silver around PF inserts (I believe extra clearcoat as well)
Drop targets instead of stand-ups
Moving Recognizer
LED insert PCBs (could be viewed as negative however is still a difference)
Alternating color flashers under the spinner
Individually controlled recognizer inserts in front of the 3 target
Chrome trim
Metal apron with clear blue windows w/ flashers
Metal PF rails
Traditional lockdown bar and receiver

I currently own a heavily modded Pro and an LE. Love the LE features, but my modded Pro is just as good (and I'm not "full of it".

Important to note that "modded Pro's" aren't all equal...depends who is doing the modding. For example, my Pro has gorgeous Mike Chestnut chromed armor & apron which is arguably nicer than what the LE has (just to take one example).

I do agree that many modded Pro's aren't as good as the LE...depends on the situation.

IMG_2493 (resized).jpegIMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
#493 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I currently own a heavily modded Pro and an LE. Love the LE features, but my modded Pro is just as good (and I'm not "full of it".
Important to note that "modded Pro's" aren't all equal...depends who is doing the modding. For example, my Pro has gorgeous Mike Chestnut chromed armor & apron which is arguably nicer than what the LE has (just to take one example).
I do agree that many modded Pro's aren't as good as the LE...depends on the situation.[quoted image]

That's a gorgeous example of a Tron pro ; )

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Important to note that "modded Pro's" aren't all equal...depends who is doing the modding. ]

Not sure who modded the one you got of delt31 but they clearly didn't know how to install the ramp lights leaving that much of gap at the ends

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#495 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Not sure who modded the one you got of delt31 but they clearly didn't know how to install the ramp lights leaving that much of gap at the ends [quoted image]

Ooffff

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Not sure who modded the one you got of delt31 but they clearly didn't know how to install the ramp lights leaving that much of gap at the ends [quoted image]

Well, that isn't the only imperfection, but delt31 did a great job on it overall. I tweaked/fixed several things since picking it up from adamross last year, however tightening up the ramp lights wasn't a priority for me. I actually have new LE ramps that I could substitute when the time comes...

#497 4 years ago

There’s no replacing the color changing ramps and Daft Punk multiball. It would be LE or bust for me.

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

There’s no replacing the color changing ramps and Daft Punk multiball. It would be LE or bust for me.

From my perspective, the Eli color changing LED work great...never heard anyone complain about them.

Daft Punk MB is really "meh" (unfortunately). I love the idea of custom LE code, but DP MB is a fairly boring MB. They definitely could have done something more snazzy. Almost every JP2 MB is more exciting to play than DP MB. The only exception might be the DP MB audio (which is awesome).

If heavily modded Pro's with the Eli color changing LED's didn't approx. LE features, the LE would be selling for north of 10k. LE street prices have been closer to 8.5-10.5k over the past several years, it seems.

In any event, TRON is one of the best overall packages ever produced...modded Pro's and LE's all rock.

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I'd like to see you get through Sea of Simulation...

I was just catching up on this thread, and this might be the funniest damn flex I've seen in a while. LOL.

Tron is not hard. Even when it's set up hard, clean and waxed...new disc rubber...it's not THAT bad. I literally got to Portal 30+ times in the time that I owned it, and the first two times were on location. Also had one game with the three-peat, and several double portal games, as well as multiple "No SOS" games. It's just......not.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I was just catching up on this thread, and this might be the funniest damn flex I've seen in a while. LOL.
Tron is not hard. Even when it's set up hard, clean and waxed...new disc rubber...it's not THAT bad. I literally got to Portal 30+ times in the time that I owned it, and the first two times were on location. Also had one game with the three-peat, and several double portal games, as well as multiple "No SOS" games. It's just......not.

I agree - Tron is easy AF.

Now try getting to the Keefer invitational - that's a challenge.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
12,028 (OBO)
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 707 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 15.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ve-in-2019/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.