Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 4.28.47 PM.png
guardians-of-the-galaxy_imax-poster1.jpg
Family Guy fans will get this.png

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Think this is the general consensus for the 2015 VE?

Personally, I hope it is.

I've come to realize that I'll never own a Tron LE (price way to high for a used machine). So I'm hoping for a Tron VE, then I'll upgrade as much as I can on it, to make it closer resemble the LE.

#2 5 years ago

I hope it's LOTR VE myself.

#3 5 years ago

I hope it's a Tron VE too. Would get one in a heartbeat.

#4 5 years ago

We have to believe TRON VE is coming.

#5 5 years ago

so, you guys want old games? not new ones? oh, ok.

#6 5 years ago

Tron VE seems to be a stronger possibility than LOTR LE, considering the board set.

I think we will see the next VE sooner than 2015.

Think Stern is running VE's to rid the inventory of existing board sets as next title may have new board set and/or new display.

#7 5 years ago

new TRON with EL ropes and LED would sell, but no plans for TRON VE yet however.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

We want great games at an affordable price.

A Tron VE would easily fit that description.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather pay $5,100 for a NIB, fully LED game, instead of buying a $5,500 USED game, that may not have LED.

But that's just me.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

Of course we want new games, but if Stern wants to fill the gaps between new releases by re-running popular games in order to keep the production line up and moving, and be a profitable company......sounds like a good plan to me.

I don't think they are paying the designers to sit around, they are no doubt working on the next best thing. If there is a market for the Vault editions, why wouldn't stern sell games? That's what they do.........make and sell games.

#10 5 years ago

You would think Tron VE would be next?!?!? I am hoping it's sooner than 2015. I guess only concern is licensing rights? I would think they need to purchase it again as the original license would have ended by now.
Would Stern pay for same license again??? Hmm
I would die if Tron VE comes out. Please God!!!!

#11 5 years ago

Look at the Xbox Arcade.

Filled with games from the 80's.

I don't see Stern having a problem with the license, at the end of the day, it is a Disney property. They seem to do a lot with Disney.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather pay $5,100 for a NIB, fully LED game, instead of buying a $5,500 USED game, that may not have LED.
But that's just me.

It doesn't cost much to led a game, just time.

#13 5 years ago

Tron VE with some sort of grid pattern around the DMD on the new speaker panel would look sharp.....LED the heck out of it, put some cool blue T-molding, some dark blue armor and rails, and sell for 4800......while I doubt they will make more Trons (since they already did enough runs to meet the demand before), how cool would that look (and how many would jump on one). The fact that the pros all seem to be "junked out" and then priced high because of it, makes the demand for a pure cheaper machine high.

#14 5 years ago

would be in for one if so!

#15 5 years ago

Run a premium with the lit ramps - without the 3d translite

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

It doesn't cost much to led a game, just time.

I think you missed my point about a NIB game being cheaper than a used one.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I think you missed my point about a NIB game being cheaper than a used one.

I see. The more Trons out there the better one the best games of the last decade

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

But that's just me.

OMG...a USED game! These games we love were designed to be used in a COMMERCIAL environment. Most TRON examples are HUO in great condition. I paid less than $5,500, with LED's, all 3 translites AND several nice/pricey upgrades. With 3 runs already done, I think there are many HUO examples that would cost you less than waiting for TRON VE.

#19 5 years ago

TRON VE rumored 2014

Stern running more Iron Man VE, AC/DC PRO VE, MMR and then TRON VE.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

TRON VE rumored 2014
Stern running more Iron Man VE, AC/DC PRO VE, MMR and then TRON VE.

Day they announce it, is the day I'm ordering it.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

OMG...a USED game! These games we love were designed to be used in a COMMERCIAL environment. Most TRON examples are HUO in great condition. I paid less than $5,500, with LED's, all 3 translites AND several nice/pricey upgrades. With 3 runs already done, I think there are many HUO examples that would cost you less than waiting for TRON VE.

Come on, you have to admit that if you had the chance of buying a new game or a used one for more money you would get the new one. Less hassle dealing with a borked shipping situation, a warantee, no chance of there being hidden hacks, etc...

The difference here is between those that have to have it now and those that can wait. If you have to have it now then you are forced to pay the over inflated prices for the game. Those that don't can wait for a re-run or hope to get lucky and find a decent deal. I have a cap for this title. If it's $5K or higher I am not a buyer. Less than $5K and I'm in as, unlike the masses of people around here I don't feel that Tron provides enough to be a $5K+ game. It's a great pin and I know I'll get the masses with pitchforks after me for saying this but bang for the buck is not there for me to go above that for this title.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Come on, you have to admit that if you had the chance of buying a new game or a used one for more money you would get the new one. Less hassle dealing with a borked shipping situation, a warantee, no chance of there being hidden hacks, etc...
The difference here is between those that have to have it now and those that can wait. If you have to have it now then you are forced to pay the over inflated prices for the game. Those that don't can wait for a re-run or hope to get lucky and find a decent deal. I have a cap for this title. If it's $5K or higher I am not a buyer. Less than $5K and I'm in as, unlike the masses of people around here I don't feel that Tron provides enough to be a $5K+ game. It's a great pin and I know I'll get the masses with pitchforks after me for saying this but bang for the buck is not there for me to go above that for this title.

No, I don't admit that. If a meticulous collector is selling one, chances are it's better than new with nice mods. TRON in particular looks "meh" without a few mods that add up quickly. With all the mods I've put in, I'm probably in it for 6k-ish and it's the best "bang for buck" pin I have (since it gets played 10x more than most of my B/W pins). Don't really know how you define the term "bang for buck"...

#23 5 years ago

With the VEs comes updated code that makes LEDs look better in them (even the original run games), correct?

If so, keep the VEs coming!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

With the VEs comes updated code that makes LEDs look better in them (even the original run games), correct?
If so, keep the VEs coming!

Sort of. Iron Man VE has an LED setting, but all it does is turn off all the ramping and fading effects, so the LEDs won't flicker or anything. It's like turning off dimming in a Williams game after you LED it. So you won't magically get LED OCD style effects, it's the same old lamp matrix.

Speaking as a Tron Pro owner I think if there's demand Stern should make them. I don't care, the "rarity" of my game doesn't mean anything to me, I'd prefer people who want to play pinball are able to buy and enjoy the games that make them happy.

They're not going to make a "Premium", if it happens it's going to be the same old Pro, probably 2 chicks translite, maybe different ramp toys depending on what's available, with the new backbox and maybe the metallic decals. Which would look slick I'm sure. No light up ramps, just forget about it. Get Eli's mod.

#25 5 years ago

Just throwing my name in the hat.....if they run it again, I will buy one.

#26 5 years ago

I think LOTR's VE makes more sense.

If they did a Tron VE run I wish they would do more 3D backglasses, it really was the nicest backglass by far. Perhaps they would do a mirrored one though of something for a VE run, that would be pretty nice to.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Don't really know how you define the term "bang for buck"...

The general one. The value of fun for the price of a game. This will not be the same for everyone.

It's a fun game and is why I want one but it's not nearly as fun as AC/DC or MET "to me" as those two games have a lot more to do. I really only want a Tron because I enjoy the theme, like the game play and it's a game that I don't have to worry about having frequent 20-30 min games on. it's not a grail pin to me and is just an average game thus why I refuse to pay $5K plus for one. I'm also not interested in paying for other peoples mods. I have my own taste in lighting schemes so inevitably I would wind up changing most of someone else s LED kit out, I couldn't care less about the Arcade Mods, light cycles, power coating, recognizer, etc... All I want is a stock pro and I'll do my own LEDs and add the Eli Kit.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

If they did a Tron VE run I wish they would do more 3D backglasses, it really was the nicest backglass by far. Perhaps they would do a mirrored one though of something for a VE run, that would be pretty nice to.

I highly doubt it. The VE runs are going to be about cheap and efficient and easy. If the game can't sell itself without expensive parts (mirrored backglass, lenticular art) they won't do it is my guess.

Remember, they're thinking about ops too, this isn't just about the collector market. This is really the "Pro" model in effect here.

Obviously I'm guessing! But I think the logic is sound.

#29 5 years ago

Tron Would be a fun one to make some refinery editions out of. But, but I doubt we see more until next year and my guess would not be Tron for the next Vault editions

#30 5 years ago

I just got my Eli ramp kit in the mail last night so......

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You now have half a day of disassembly reassembly and hole drilling. Fun for some, not so much for others.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

And I'll be at your place right about the time you finish...

"Oh you need help with that?"
"Well, had you been here earlier, but I'm just about done."
"Fantastic, let's check it out!"

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I highly doubt it. The VE runs are going to be about cheap and efficient and easy. If the game can't sell itself without expensive parts (mirrored backglass, lenticular art) they won't do it is my guess.
Remember, they're thinking about ops too, this isn't just about the collector market. This is really the "Pro" model in effect here.
Obviously I'm guessing! But I think the logic is sound.

PRO Model with an increased cost

Original IM NIB was $ 3850.00 in 2012(?)

Add LEDS and nice new decals and sell for $ 1000.00 more

- Makes a lot of sense to me as I assume the BOM on the new cabinets may be a bit less expensive as well.

#34 5 years ago

I can't even fathom how LOTR VE's would make more sense? They made way more LOTR's than Tron's. Tron is on the newer board system and can pretty much go right back in the cue. They would have to completely revamp the line to go back and do LOTR's.

Obviously there is still demand for both but profit wise, Tron makes more sense.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

Who said that? How about both? Clearly they never made enough IM's or Tron's so the demand is still there. Plus those are proven games.

You're a manufacturer, and you can choose the take a shot on a new game (which always has the potential to bomb) or you can do some quick re-runs for quick profit. What you do? Well actually, you do both. You need to keeps things fresh and exciting......but you also need to capitalize on easy money.

#36 5 years ago

Tron makes the most sense since the license hasnt expired years ago. I figure the more recent the license, the easier it is to renew.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Tron makes the most sense since the license hasnt expired years ago. I figure the more recent the license, the easier it is to renew.

I think people put more stock in the difficulty to renew a license than there really is. Companies will generally renew licenses for IP for as long as there is interest. They don't care if that particular franchise has moved on to newer things, if people want the old IP to make toys or video games they will easily renew it . . . you can still buy new toys from the original Star Wars trilogy . . .

#38 5 years ago

I just feel in general, the further back you go, the less likely a license extension is possible

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think people put more stock in the difficulty to renew a license than there really is. Companies will generally renew licenses for IP for as long as there is interest. They don't care if that particular franchise has moved on to newer things, if people want the old IP to make toys or video games they will easily renew it . . . you can still buy new toys from the original Star Wars Trilogy . . .

The only game I think would be difficult is Spiderman. I doubt that could get renewed.

#40 5 years ago

I think the true answer is whatever Chicago gaming has lying around...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-home-run-my-visit-to-chicago-gaming-on-517

"Stacks of cut but unscreened Stern playfields. (Family Guy, Spider Man, Iron Man, LOTR, etc.)"

This post was from 3 months ago and there were pictures taken of unused playfield collecting dust. I think 1 month later IMVE was announced.
How many of these unused playfields does Chicago Gaming have and are there Tron ones? Does Gary call them up to say, "Do you still have those extra playfields lying around, I got an idea." Or maybe they just go back to the original fabrication (that they saved) and make brand new playfields.

Whatever the answer is, Chicago Gaming pitches the ball for Stern to hit.

#41 5 years ago

After being very surprised by my enjoyment of Shrek, I'm definitely a buyer for Family Guy VE.

Marcus

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from joegeno:

Just looked at your collection. All old games.

#43 5 years ago

Does this mean the consensus is that SM VE is not coming down the line soon? I sold a BSM two months ago, regretting it big time, so I was going to wait patiently on the sidelines until a VE (Red) was released. I know I can buy a Red now for about the same price as a VE (give or take $500) but for the same price I'd rather have new one, already LEDed, new system, etc.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Does this mean the consensus is that SM VE is not coming down the line soon? I sold a BSM two months ago, regretting it big time, so I was going to wait patiently on the sidelines until a VE (Red) was released. I know I can buy a Red now for about the same price as a VE (give or take $500) but for the same price I'd rather have new one, already LEDed, new system, etc.

Not gonna happen. Never was gonna happen. Never even a solid rumor that it was gonna happen. Sony's not gonna license the old Spider-Man movie again.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

And I'll be at your place right about the time you finish...
"Oh you need help with that?"
"Well, had you been here earlier, but I'm just about done."
"Fantastic, let's check it out!"

We're shooting for his two days off the week after next (Labor Day week). He's got a long list of things - Eli's kit, cliffy's, plastic protectors, the dmd glare guard, the light cycles, recognizer.. You're welcome to stop by!

We're also hosting a tournament at Nickelrama on Labor Day if you want to bring the kids and play.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not gonna happen. Never was gonna happen. Never even a solid rumor that it was gonna happen. Sony's not gonna license the old Spider-Man movie again.

New avatar suggestion:
Family Guy fans will get this.png

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

New avatar suggestion:

Family Guy fans will get this.pn... 15 KB

LOL...I designed that character

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You need to keeps things fresh and exciting......but you also need to capitalize on east money.

...and west money!

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sort of. Iron Man VE has an LED setting, but all it does is turn off all the ramping and fading effects, so the LEDs won't flicker or anything. It's like turning off dimming in a Williams game after you LED it. So you won't magically get LED OCD style effects, it's the same old lamp matrix.

Damn, well there goes $130 on an LED OCD!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
6,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside