• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys,

I have a Tron pro machine and it has been working solidly for years. Recently though the upper left flipper locked on and blew the fuse.
I replaced the transistor with an IRL540N and changed the diode that sits next to it on the board.
When I turned it back on the flipper stayed down, i flipped it once and no issue, then i flipped it again and it locked on and blew the fuse again.
I checked the resistance across the coil (disconnected) and got a reading of 4 ohms, as far as i understand it that means it is okay.
So i have changed the transistor and diode on the driver board again (Q12 and D12) hoping that it was a bad transistor i had put in. When i turned it back on the exact same thing happened. Flips for one press of the button fine, then when you press the button again it locks on.

What am i missing? its driving me spare because it takes me ages to change transistors.
Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Eric

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Paisley_Pinball:

Hi guys,
I have a Tron pro machine and it has been working solidly for years. Recently though the upper left flipper locked on and blew the fuse.
I replaced the transistor with an IRL540N and changed the diode that sits next to it on the board.
When I turned it back on the flipper stayed down, i flipped it once and no issue, then i flipped it again and it locked on and blew the fuse again.
I checked the resistance across the coil (disconnected) and got a reading of 4 ohms, as far as i understand it that means it is okay.
So i have changed the transistor and diode on the driver board again (Q12 and D12) hoping that it was a bad transistor i had put in. When i turned it back on the exact same thing happened. Flips for one press of the button fine, then when you press the button again it locks on.
What am i missing? its driving me spare because it takes me ages to change transistors.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Eric

Sounds like something is coming into contact with the flipper plate or coil intermittently when it's flipped. I'd look for hanging or pinched wires. Also measure the voltage between the flipper plate and ground (should be 0). When you finish with the transistor replacement, manually work the flipper the full range 5-6 times after the next repair and see if it blows again.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I did what you suggested.
I actuated the flipper 5-6 times before pressing the button. I measured the voltage between the ground and the flipper plate (I was getting 0.2v across it and the two bottom flippers). I even changed out the coil on the off chance that it was somehow at fault.
Nothing happened when i moved it by hand. During gameplay the flipper worked normally for about 10-15 flips this time and then locked on and blew. Now as soon as you turn the game on it locks on.
I am out of ideas. I have changed the coil and the transistor and the diode and its is still blowing. I can't find any bare or touching wires anywhere inside the cab. The board looks clean too.
Any suggestions?

#4 5 years ago

Transistor blown again ? I'd carefully check traces to the legs, and through board continuity. A cracked trace or break in continuity could do this.

And don't rule out premature failure of the transistor.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Paisley_Pinball:

Thanks for the tips. I did what you suggested.
I actuated the flipper 5-6 times before pressing the button. I measured the voltage between the ground and the flipper plate (I was getting 0.2v across it and the two bottom flippers). I even changed out the coil on the off chance that it was somehow at fault.
Nothing happened when i moved it by hand. During gameplay the flipper worked normally for about 10-15 flips this time and then locked on and blew. Now as soon as you turn the game on it locks on.
I am out of ideas. I have changed the coil and the transistor and the diode and its is still blowing. I can't find any bare or touching wires anywhere inside the cab. The board looks clean too.
Any suggestions?

Vibration and something loose that moves when the flipper does OR a sketchy trace on the driver board.

Inspect the board carefully and if that checks out, do the flipper test with the balls out and the playfield lifted so you can watch it. Recording the area under the pf in slo-mo as you test might give you some clues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-upper-left-flipper-locking-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.