Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by AJB4
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

communicator_(resized).jpg
1-Edit_String_2122016_10631_PM_(resized).jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#2 3 years ago

Sweet !

#3 3 years ago

Spoiler alert: final score 169 million

#4 3 years ago

Bowen's delivery is always so calm; excellent player.

#5 3 years ago

Whenever I try to explain what's going on while I'm playing I mess up horribly.

#6 3 years ago

At the very end Bowen apologizes for not getting the Video Mode for Gem which is based on snake and the light cycles. What is he talking about?

#7 3 years ago

Just in time for SCS

#8 3 years ago

I love these videos. Thanks to everyone who spends the time to create them.

#9 3 years ago

Did anyone else catch Bowen mentioning the video mode at around the 22:35 mark? Right after his last ball drains he mentions that he did not get to demonstrate the video mode for Gem. I know there was talk of a video mode being added to the code way, way back but I didn't think it ever came to fruition.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

At the very end Bowen apologizes for not getting the Video Mode for Gem which is based on snake and the light cycles. What is he talking about?

beat me to it.

#11 3 years ago

I thought Metallica had snakes. Never saw one in Tron.

I think he was just making stuff up.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Did anyone else catch Bowen mentioning the video mode at around the 22:35 mark? Right after his last ball drains he mentions that he did not get to demonstrate the video mode for Gem. I know there was talk of a video mode being added to the code way, way back but I didn't think it ever came to fruition.

#13 3 years ago

Apologies for the newbie question, but I don't understand his reason for letting balls drain during multiball events. How do you know when such a thing is a good strategy?

#14 3 years ago

Does anyone know how the combo points are calculated?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Apologies for the newbie question, but I don't understand his reason for letting balls drain during multiball events. How do you know when such a thing is a good strategy?

Many games have a flashing insert that tells you the "ball save" is turned on.

As long as that light is on, you can let the balls drain and the autoplunger will keep firing new ones back into play.

In games like Time Fantasy, when you are in Snail Time, you can also let the ball drain to quickly put the ball back up into the top of the playfield.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

To expand a little on vid1900's comment, there are usually two main reasons to "skillfully drain" while your ball save is active. The first is just to get the extra balls out of your way so you can make a cleaner, more controlled shot with one ball at the start of your multiball. Furthermore, in games where the multiball is a frenzy-type mode where you want to get as many switch hits as possible, draining your balls often helps get them back to the pop bumpers, generating huge numbers of switch hits. The Final Battle wizard mode of Avatar is a prime modern example of this.

#17 3 years ago

Awesome video!

#18 3 years ago

Thanks for posting, loved the video. Very informative and I finally understand some of he strategies for Tron. It's tough to beat the Roadshow tutorial but very entertaining.

#19 3 years ago

Great video!!!....just another reminder that I must practice, practice, practice.....

#20 3 years ago

I love watching a Bowen Papa tutorial, then walking confidently out to play the same game, to realize that I totally suck.

#21 3 years ago

Awesome video! Bowen rocks!

#22 3 years ago

I absolutely love these videos and I would really like to let people know.

Sometimes these are the only way for me to really learn strategy on a particular game. They have great production value and seem like a lot of work, but I would honestly pay money for these. If anyone is listening at PAPA / Bowen, please keep these up!! Do not stop making these!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I absolutely love these videos and I would really like to let people know.
Sometimes these are the only way for me to really learn strategy on a particular game. They have great production value and seem like a lot of work, but I would honestly pay money for these. If anyone is listening at PAPA / Bowen, please keep these up!! Do not stop making these!

Thanks!

The Replay Foundation (which PAPA is part of) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We do accept donations and they are appreciated greatly.

If anyone would like to donate to Replay you can do so here: http://papa.org/about-papa/?target=donate

#24 3 years ago

I noticed the tron video had some post production that drew arrows on the playfield when bowen was talking to illustrate what he was referring to.

Good stuff there.

#25 3 years ago

So in the video Bowen mentions that he's never seen anyone beat portal. Anybody giving odds on whether or not KME is recording Tron gameplay right about now?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjadoug:

Thanks!
The Replay Foundation (which PAPA is part of) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We do accept donations and they are appreciated greatly.
If anyone would like to donate to Replay you can do so here: http://papa.org/about-papa/?target=donate

Great Stuff.
Anymore info on the Video mode? I'm willing to donate if there is more info regarding how to achieve the video mode that was talked about in the Tron tutorial. Thank you for putting this together.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So in the video Bowen mentions that he's never seen anyone beat portal. Anybody giving odds on whether or not KME is recording Tron gameplay right about now?

I was two shots off a few weeks ago before I shopped it out. Forget about it now. :p

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

No I hate Tron lol

#29 3 years ago

For realsies? How come?

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

For realsies? How come?

No strategy variation.

#31 3 years ago

Bowen mentioned he wasn't quite sure how to finish LCMB. Light cycle is completed with a 3 way combo.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

No strategy variation.

I thought you were gonna say it was a weak, less-fun copy of Funhouse.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Bowen mentioned he wasn't quite sure how to finish LCMB. Light cycle is completed with a 3 way combo.

Yeah I thought that was weird.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

More Congo than FH

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My goal is to trap a ball on the left flipper and stage the upper left flipper. Then, shoot left ramp, Quorra, right ramp.

I think you can also do it with three 2-ways combos, but I'm not sure about that one.

#35 3 years ago

Completing Light Cycle multiball:

You need 3 superjackpots or 1 double superjackpot to complete light cycle.

left ramp > Quorra > gem or left ramp > Quorra > Right Ramp for the win (double superjackpot)

OR any combination of 3 superjackpots.

Left ramp, left loop. Left ramp, left loop. Left ramp, left loop
-OR-
Left ramp, quorra. Left ramp, quorra. Left ramp, quorra
-OR-
Right loop, Right Ramp. Right loop, Right Ramp. Right loop, Right Ramp.

#36 3 years ago

I thought light cycle was completed with a Quorra / Gem combo, not a 3 way combo?

#37 3 years ago

I wrote my post before you posted yours luvthatapex2, thanks for the tip.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

left ramp > Quorra > gem or left ramp > Quorra > Right Ramp for the win (double superjackpot)
-OR-
-OR-

Damn, I didn't know that. I thought it had to be a 3 way combo. Going to have to try this next time as LC is normally the one that holds me up before SOS.

#39 3 years ago

Yeah this is the first I've heard of this, and I've owned two Trons.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Whenever I try to explain what's going on while I'm playing I mess up horribly.

This happens to me when I'm not explaining as well.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

To expand a little on vid1900's comment, there are usually two main reasons to "skillfully drain" while your ball save is active. The first is just to get the extra balls out of your way so you can make a cleaner, more controlled shot with one ball at the start of your multiball. Furthermore, in games where the multiball is a frenzy-type mode where you want to get as many switch hits as possible, draining your balls often helps get them back to the pop bumpers, generating huge numbers of switch hits. The Final Battle wizard mode of Avatar is a prime modern example of this.

Great explanation.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Light cycle is completed with a 3 way combo.

I know that this was corrected/clarified by a few other people, but still... holy crap, that's the coolest thing I've ever heard.

#43 3 years ago

Wow the 3-way combo (double super JP) for LC completion is news? For shame pinside
The 3x two way (super JP) combos do also get you there - personally I find focussing on a 3 way easier (*insert 3-way joke here*)

I have been told once that 12x single jackpots will do it as well, but I've either never done it, or it's a lie. I've never seen LC complete without combos.

FYI completing Quorra typically takes the form of Quorra -> GEM combo as well, but it is NOT required. A single GEM shot is all that is needed - Quorra does keep raising the jackpot though.

#44 3 years ago

-OR-
-OR-

I'm sure you got that off the game display or the rule card. Thanks.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Tronhouse?

#46 3 years ago

SPLENDID! Tronhouse it is!

#47 3 years ago

-OR-
-OR-

do you need three of the same (as you listed above) or any three combos?

the way you listed it seems like you need 3x of the same combo, but your first description says any combination of 3

#48 3 years ago

I always thought it was 3 lit cycles in a combo

#49 3 years ago

I think Roy Wils posted a video beating Portal.

LC MB can be completed with left ramp > Quorra > right ramp or Gem 3-way combo. I think you can make multiple 2-way combos (pop shot to right ramp, or left ramp to left orbit) will also light it solid.

By far my favorite machine. Big risk big reward strategy that beats everything would be the double scoring Portal 100 million collect, but a safer strategy would be alternating Quorra and LC MB and collecting as many End of the Line JP's during each as possible.

#50 3 years ago

You would think with all the TRON owners on Pinside one would know. So much for loving Lamp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eliot, ME
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside