Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by yancy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I really enjoy playing Tron, but my scores kinda stink.
I watched some vids on utube on tron gameplay. Wow, how do they learn play like that?!?!

Anyways, I decided to ask if anyone has any tips/strategies that might help me play Tron better.
I more often than not, lose the ball on one of the outlanes (those darn slingshots aid that quite a bit).

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Close the outlanes. Set your pitch to 6.5. Learn to nudge. Play to have fun, not to get 'good scores.'

Dude, I suck, but I love playing pinball. I'll never be a tourney player, but that's okay. Just get the basics down (I highly recommend watching Pinball 101 available on the iPhone) and you'll be a better player.

Have fun!

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

I more often than not, lose the ball on one of the outlanes (those darn slingshots aid that quite a bit). Thanks.

I try to nudge before the ball even gets to the outlane. Seems if I wait till it's on the outlane post, it's very difficult to keep in play.

For score, learn to hit Quorra to right ramp to arcade scoop for easy End of Line bonus.

Honestly I pound Quorra with R flipper and tend to go for Right orbit to R ramp or to Gem with L flipper.

#4 10 years ago

Excellent tips. Work on trapping skills during multi-ball and turn the frenzied flail-fest into some precise shooting for either jackpots or collecting Quorra or Gem.
If you have the hottie translite you need to change it out since its a major distraction. I can help here. Take all the money I am going to throw at you and buy every pinball video available. Scores will improve and you will have a new bestest friend.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Close the outlanes.

You'll get better at pinball in general if you leave the outlanes open. Your nudging skills will increase a lot.

#6 10 years ago

My strategy is shoot for the center 3 targets to achieve disk multiball whenever ball feeds to left flipper, and when it feeds to the right flipper go for the Quorra lane and try like hell to hit Gem lane.

I have also gotten subpar at ricocheting shots of TRON targets into Gem lane...

Best of Luck! did you hook a subwoofer up to it yet?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Excellent tips. Work on trapping skills during multi-ball and turn the frenzied flail-fest into some precise shooting for either jackpots or collecting Quorra or Gem.
If you have the hottie translite you need to change it out since its a major distraction. I can help here. Take all the money I am going to throw at you and buy every pinball video available. Scores will improve and you will have a new bestest friend.

LOL, the Hottie Translite cam out right away. I prefer the Clu one. I've already had several offers for $200 for the ladies. I did not think the 3d or 2nd run was all that bad to begin with.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

My strategy is shoot for the center 3 targets to achieve disk multiball whenever ball feeds to left flipper, and when it feeds to the right flipper go for the Quorra lane and try like hell to hit Gem lane.
I have also gotten subpar at ricocheting shots of TRON targets into Gem lane...
Best of Luck! did you hook a subwoofer up to it yet?

Oh heck ya. I put in the flipper fidelity kit and the shaker motor straight away. Big difference to me, but I know not everyone appreciates the audio. I just upgrated my Black Rose with a DIY speaker kits. Only cos mt $65 in parts and it sounds soooo much better. Partry zone is the next pin or speaer upgrades.

#9 10 years ago

I will be practicing the nudging then. I find the better I get at playing, the more I enjoy the hobby. I like to share tips with newer players to help them out. The more people enjoy pinball, the more popular it will become and that is very good for the industry.

#10 10 years ago

just think, the tron at PAPA had no rubbers on the posts on the outlanes. outlanes were death, no jiggling back from those beasts.

About one game out of ten I'll get a 50-60mill score, sometimes it beats me up with like 2 mill.. mostly I average 20-30 mill.

for me, my best strategy is pounding the recognizer to try and get disc multiball on ball 1, usually happens because I suck at hitting Quorra on purpose, and I find Quorra resets if you loose a ball, I might be one ball away from Quorra MB, if I drain, the number of shots required seems to go back up...

using light cycle MB to bring quorra out helps me a lot.

also getting a time increase on castor fast scoring is HUGE!, bring castor on, pound right loop to spinner + pops, and quorra spinner... keep hitting zues to increase the fast scoring from 10k up, I remember getting it as high as 16k, dont know how high it goes...

also, end of line bonus just racks the points up, very easy.

#11 10 years ago

I go for the ramps for the extra ball. Game scores improve significantly and your have a better shot at SOS

#12 10 years ago

Quorra / Gem Quorra / Gem Quorra / Gem

The rest just comes together after you are good at this combo. Sea of simulation will bump you up a bit in score if you completed any of the games you started.

I also plunge directly to the scoop most of the time also helps start modes. I can make the gem shot better on slow rollers instead of the orbit shot. It is just too fast for me to hit consistently.

#13 10 years ago

That's a good strategy Shoot_Again. I also like Quorra/side-ramp/scoop over and over since it builds and scores the end-of-line jackpot and lights Quorra mb. Then, in Quorra mb, while the ball saver is on,keep shooting side-ramps followed by the scoop for end-of-line jackpots and then intentionally draining for more side-ramp/scoop opportunities. With the add-a-ball feature of Quorra, you will have 3 ball-saver opportunities (beginning of mb,add-a-ball 1, add-a-ball 2). Once no more ball-savers can be earned and the ball-saver ends, I then try for Gem. I remember that some players who are good at plunging, intentionally soft-plunge for Gem during ball-saver, letting balls drain to set up multiple Gem soft-plunges.

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

The rest just comes together after you are good at this combo. Sea of simulation will bump you up a bit in score if you completed any of the games you started.
I also plunge directly to the scoop most of the time also helps start modes. I can make the gem shot better on slow rollers instead of the orbit shot. It is just too fast for me to hit consistently.

#14 10 years ago

Does anybody aim for Gem on the plunge often? I've tried it quite a few times, but my success rate with it is like 5%, so I don't do it unless I'm just one shot shy of starting her mode. Otherwise I take the arcade skill shot and hope for a good freebie.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Yep. In tournaments Quorra, side ramp, end of line.

I always try to get Quorra & Light Cycle at the same time. During Quorra, just relax. Hit the recognizer till you only need 1 shot to add a ball. Then go aboot trying to hit other shots. Cradling a ball usually helps, but just make sure you have enough time to hit the recognizer after all the balls go out to add a ball & restart.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Does anybody aim for Gem on the plunge often?

Not on the initial plunge, because my success rate isn't much better than your 5%. Not worth giving up a relatively easy scoop award, which is even more valuable with the new code. During mulitballs I plunge for Gem any/every time my right hand is free.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
12,028 (OBO)
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.