You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20120417_100158.jpg
hundred-dollar-bill.gif
#1 11 years ago

Dear Gem shot,

I finally figured you out! Your secret is to nudge the machine to the right when the ball is going around the Quorra loop. Get the ball to separate from the left side wall and then, BAM!, use the upper flipper to fire the ball into you! It took me a while to get the finesse and the timing down... but... WOW... what a pay off!

Also, I love how I can sometimes plunge the ball right into you. Very satisfying.

Thank you for making me a better player.

Signed,
I LOVE THIS GAME!

#2 11 years ago

Dear ChadH,

Don't fall in love with me, I will only break your heart.

Signed,

Gem Shot

#3 11 years ago

It is the shot the keeps me coming back for more.
What a Great Game!

#4 11 years ago

That is exactly how I make the gem shot from the upper flipper. You can also some times bank the ball over the tron targets.

#5 11 years ago

Interesting.

#6 11 years ago

yep, much easier to hit when the ball is off the left orbit wall.

#7 11 years ago

I have been able to make it using a soft plunge but it is tricky to do consistently. Cheatin but I will take anything I can get from GEM!!!

#8 11 years ago

I HATE the Gem shot.

I LOVE the Gem shot.

#9 11 years ago

Lookin fwd to playin some more Tron this comin Sunday at Tigerlaw25's down here in south Louisiana.
We'll have to try playin a bit rougher w/ Quorra to see if she will more easily give up the Gem shot.

#10 11 years ago

Everyone could use a good Gem shot

#11 11 years ago

Especially when the bank of targets is up it is extremely difficult to make. One of those things that I love about the game. I want to continue to be challenged by my games. Tron does just that.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Lookin fwd to playin some more Tron this comin Sunday at Tigerlaw25's down here in south Louisiana.
We'll have to try playin a bit rougher w/ Quorra to see if she will more easily give up the Gem shot.

Heck yea! GEM is getting a bit easier to hit actually. Not an easy shot to plunge for I am finding though.

1 week later
#13 11 years ago

So it's this...

Me, into Quorra, then into Gem.

Yep, I like to think of this as the "ménage à trois" of pinball.

#14 11 years ago

Nice! I've been getting good sucess banking the ball off the N from the TRON standups. Very satisfying shot!

2 months later
#15 11 years ago

For me, the Gem Shot became much more hittable once I could actually see it, after I put a sheet of JJP Invisiglass on my game!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

You can also some times bank the ball over the tron targets.

I didn't realize you could do this on the LE. I thought it only worked on the pro.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I didn't realize you could do this on the LE. I thought it only worked on the pro.

I am wondering this as well. I definitely need to work on making this GEM shot at least a decent amount of the time.

Michael

#18 11 years ago

Havent got much Tron in the diet lately, but will for sure try this out ASAP

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You can't do this on the LE with any consistency at all because of the drop targets. Believe me.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You can't do this on the LE with any consistency at all because of the drop targets. Believe me.

On my LE you can get a bank off the drop targets into gem at least as often as you can plunge gem, which is about 1/10.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

So it's this...

Me, into Quorra, then into Gem.

Yep, I like to think of this as the "ménage à trois" of pinball.

lol, and I thought I was the only one with these girls

#22 11 years ago

Yea , The Pro is much Faster too ,,, Wanna Trade -- Plus CASH !! ,,, hundred-dollar-bill.gifhundred-dollar-bill.gif

#23 11 years ago

I don't try to bank Gem anymore, not worth it.
much easier to hit it from Quorra

#24 11 years ago

I always pray for an "Advance Gem" or "Start Gem" out of the arcade, and then pure luck for hitting it .

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

+1 My machine has a nasty habit of sending the ball through the pops untouched after a successful Gem shot, though. Often, it's SDTM. It's like

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

+1 My machine has a nasty habit of sending the ball through the pops untouched after a successful Gem shot, though. Often, it's SDTM. It's like

Yep ours sometimes does the same thing!
maybe like 10% of gem shots or less

#27 11 years ago

I have a harder time hitting the right orbit than Gem. Damn pops.

#28 11 years ago

Can you post a video of said quorra gem nudge maneuver?

I hate GEM in Sea of Simulation. If you dont finish her before you get there ... good luck. I

I would focus on GEM from the start and I would bank it off TRON targets. 20120417_100158.jpg20120417_100158.jpg

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have a harder time hitting the right orbit than Gem. Damn pops.

that orbit is the worst! I can never hit that damn thing

#30 11 years ago

This is my order of modes and I try and knock out Gem early. Flynn, Quorra, Gem, Disc, Light Cycle with Clu and Zus happens in there some place

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Mine does this too. Pretty sure my game is level too. Anything that can be tweaked to stop this phenomenon ? Your emoticon sequence is spot on!

#32 11 years ago

Another Tron I've played (and most videos I've analyzed) the ball normally bumps the post above the right pop, then diverts left into the left pop. The best I get on my machine is left into the post below the left pop, so I think I need more upper post extending left past the ball guide. My ball guide however, is pushed over as far as it will go. I have Cliffy's colored sleeve waiting to be installed, so I haven't done much tweaking yet, but I don't think they'll make much difference. A fatter post sleeve is my least invasive idea.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Another Tron I've played (and most videos I've analyzed) the ball normally bumps the post above the right pop, then diverts left into the left pop. The best I get on my machine is left into the post below the left pop, so I think I need more upper post extending left past the ball guide. My ball guide however, is pushed over as far as it will go. I have Cliffy's colored sleeve waiting to be installed, so I haven't done much tweaking yet, but I don't think they'll make much difference. A fatter post sleeve is my least invasive idea.

Cliffy's sleeves are marginally THINNER than most post sleeves IMO, so that isn't going to help, I don't think. For what it's worth, both places I play on location do this stunt as well...one a lot more than the other. The only good solution is to nudge it when it's coming around the shot to either slow it down or get it off the orbit wall.

#34 11 years ago

Gave up trying to hit it from the flipper, i just cant do it with any real consistency. I find that taking the shot from the very tip of the bottom right flipper (bouncing off the target bank) works much better. I just make sure the disc targets are down before trying it and usually hit one in three attempts.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Exactly.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

+1 My machine has a nasty habit of sending the ball through the pops untouched after a successful Gem shot, though. Often, it's SDTM.

You can Say that again !! A Pisser .. But Tron is an Awesome pin !! I Just need the DVD to play on my TV in the GRG .

#37 11 years ago

Maybe the Gem SDTM is more the norm than I thought. The nudge is a good idea, but usually by the time I realize I made the shot, it's too late to nudge.

#38 11 years ago

I'd like to see Bowen do a tutorial on TRON....Bowen you there?

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Cliffy's sleeves are marginally THINNER than most post sleeves IMO

Incorrect. A standard Stern post sleeve is .419" OD at the fattest end (they're tapered ya know)
Mine are .443" OD nominal

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Incorrect. A standard Stern post sleeve is .419" OD at the fattest end (they're tapered ya know)
Mine are .443" OD nominal

I was comparing to Williams, for the record, so.....

I haven't changed any sleeves on Sterns yet.

Either way, it's whatever.

#41 11 years ago

Ok so a standard black rubber sleeve from Happ is .437" OD. This post was about Tron, which is Stern of course, but hey, whatever. I was simply trying to correct your statement about my post sleeve sizes.

#42 11 years ago

Wasn't trying to argue with ya man. You know your product better than I do. I said "IMO" because I wasn't sure. It *seemed* to me like they are smaller. Obviously I'm not great at eyeballing dimensions!

#43 11 years ago

Dear Gem Shot,

With precision I'm able to trigger you from behind using my plunger.

Signed,

Me

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-thank-you-gem-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.