View topic image gallery

TronAmpConnector.jpg
#1 11 years ago

having phantom disc hits registering on my pro. here's the facts;

1 replaced both optos and amplifier board for disc
2 optos register in switch test with ball
3 optos don't register in switch test when 'banging' on playfield
4 spinning disc works under solenoid test
5 during gameplay with spinning disc power disconnected, not getting phantom hits.
6 with disc powered up and running during gameplay getting phantom disc hits register.
7 pulled out disc and inspected, everything is tight and good
8 disc looks to be flush on top of playfield
9 disc pad is on well and flush
10 disc doesn't spin offset

edit..optos are mounted correctly and tight. no way to adjust them.

i'm thinking about adding 4 small washers under the opto mount brackets imbetween the opto mounts and the pf to elevate them 1 cm to hopefully resolve having this issue. was wondering if anyone else has had this problem/or had ideas? if not, i'll let you know what happens with the spacers added.

thanks

#2 11 years ago

Those optos already sit well off the playfield so I don't think a washer will help. Maybe a voltage induction issue? Check to see if the motor wiring is running near or bundled with the opto wiring.

#3 11 years ago

I have also heard certain El Wire / Fiber Optic inverters create "electrical noise" and mess with opto's e.t.c.

When did this start? Have you done any similar mods like the ones I just mentioned?

#4 11 years ago

There have been a few times where my game has exhibited phantom disc hits. I've thought that it could be from the plethora of mod's I've added to my LE that something is causing "electric noise" as Fattrain has stated. However it has came and gone and there is no rhyme or reason to why it has happened. Doesn't happen all the time...just once in a blue moon.

On a side note. There is a TRON Pro on location that I've played and recently when we were holding a tournament on that game, it was exhibiting the same issue with phantom disc opto switch hits/

....hmmm?

#5 11 years ago

it started up a month or 2 ago..would only register 1 hit out of a disc cycle..then more and more hits as of late. like i said, i've singled it down to only doing this issue when the disc motor powers up and spins. maybe i'll use some 1/2 inch electrical tubing to cover the motor power line as well as the opto lines. thanks for those suggestions, but i haven't changed anything in regards to the way the wires had been run under the pf. i'll let you know if this resolves it later today.

edit. mods have been shaker motor (installed a year ago, didn't have issues back then).
leds in all flashers/gi's/inserts. didn't have issues after i installed those as well.
thanks!

#6 11 years ago

My phantom hits came from the IDC connector to the amplifier board. Yanked that out for a nice molex connector with crimped trifurcon pins and the phantom hits went away! It's a solution I don't read much about so don't rule it out, and my symptoms were much like yours where I was only getting hits when the disc was spinning.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Yanked that out for a nice molex connector with crimped trifurcon pins and the phantom hits went away

i just replaced the entire amplifier board troz. it would be strange if these boards are defective new? i've seen stranger things. i'll consider that if covering the wires up doesn't resolve any interference that may be an issue. lots of great ideas. love pinside. everyone here rules.

thanks

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i just replaced the entire amplifier board troz. it would be strange if these boards are defective new? i've seen stranger things. i'll consider that if covering the wires up doesn't resolve any interference that may be an issue. lots of great ideas. love pinside. everyone here rules.
thanks

It was his connector not the board. The optos work being always on. A break in the beam causes the switch to trigger. Therefore the switch can trigger if the connector os loose or if the pins inside the connector are not making good contact. The optos are powered switches so anything that causes power instability can cause flaky optos.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It was his connector not the board

ya i just noticed i read that wrong thanks markmon. i'll take a look at the connectors themselves from the optos to board. still having phantom hits. so this probably is the solution. thanks!

edit;
troz, did you replace both male and femal to molex 2 pin connector? or just the males on the board? or just the females on the opto lines?
thanks

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

On a side note. There is a TRON Pro on location that I've played and recently when we were holding a tournament on that game, it was exhibiting the same issue with phantom disc opto switch hits/

Don't know if this additional piece of info will help, but during that tourney that hassell's referring to, the phantom disc hits were coupled with periods of the disc not registering any hits. I've seen the same happen to the Tron Pro on route in Austin, too.

#11 11 years ago

lmao..

here's where this gets real interesting.. don't see why or how it could be related to the flipper boards...but

when i'm playing and start disc MB mode. if i cradle balls or hold down the right flipper button, i can register disc hits by tapping the left flipper.... any thoughts? i prob need new flipper opto boards now i suppose.

#12 11 years ago

lmao..
here's where this gets real interesting.. don't see why or how it could be related to the flipper boards...but
when i'm playing and start disc MB mode. if i cradle balls or hold down the right flipper button, i can register disc hits by tapping the left flipper.... any thoughts? i prob need new flipper opto boards now i suppose.

No flipper opto boards in Sterns. Probably vibration messing with that suspect connector.

#13 11 years ago

I just checked and the game will register the disc opto even when the 3 bank is up and the motor is not running. Not saying it is not a connector issue but if it was a vibration issue, as he is now mentioning with the flipper, would it not show up all of the time?

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

I just checked and the game will register the disc opto even when the 3 bank is up and the motor is not running

i'm also getting phantom hits with the bank up as you just stated. uggg. pm sent to troz.

#15 11 years ago

i'm also getting phantom hits with the bank up as you just stated. uggg. pm sent to troz.

Ok, well then that takes the original problem in a different direction since the motor is now out of the equation. All go with Troz that the connectors seem likely at this point. Try reseating the connectors and see if it goes away for a time period. If it does then repin it.

#16 11 years ago

I only replaced the connector, not the pins on the board. If it didn't solve the problem then the pins on the board were next, followed by the actual 2-pin opto connectors. Stern's opto design and wiring SUCKS! With that out of the way...

This pic shows the connector I replaced. It's a 5-pin connector but I only had 6-pin connectors on hand so please ignore that, and yes, I did place a key in the 6th position. It'll be a 5-pin connector after I make my next GPE order. The wires are looped through the IDC connector so you'll need to double them up on the trifurcon pins. This solved my disc opto issue 100% and put weeks of frustration to rest. Hope it helps!

TronAmpConnector.jpgTronAmpConnector.jpg

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

I only replaced the connector, not the pins on the board. If it didn't solve the problem then the pins on the board were next, followed by the actual 2-pin opto connectors.

Your 2 pin connectors don't look right. There were two different types used on the male and female side. Looks like yours are opposites.

i just replaced the entire amplifier board troz. it would be strange if these boards are defective new?

Typically, when they go bad, they give out dozens of switch hits all at once. They're usually intermittent too. Wiggle the connectors and they're fine a for a week, then they act up again. This doesn't sound like your problem.

I would suggest you put the game in switch test, then raise the playfield and wiggle the big connector on the board. No switch hits? Then flick the wires going to the two pin connectors. My guess is that you have a problem with those connectors.

#18 11 years ago

troz is the man. going to get that molex connector asap for replacement. i'll let you know what happens. i'm pretty sure this should resolve my issue..i've basically replaced most parts involved with this exception. hell ya!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Your 2 pin connectors don't look right. There were two different types used on the male and female side. Looks like yours are opposites

this shouldn't matter. both optos are transceivers so they can be interchanged. chaz with stern also verified this. great suggestions though. i'm pretty sure it comes down to that connector to the amplifier board.

#20 11 years ago

this shouldn't matter. both optos are transceivers so they can be interchanged. chaz with stern also verified this. great suggestions though. i'm pretty sure it comes down to that connector to the amplifier board.

I wasn't suggesting that they were reversed. Those connectors are edge connectors. They can easily become loose. Very easy to test.

i've singled it down to only doing this issue when the disc motor powers up and spins.

I missed this part. Hard to imagine that big connector only has problems when the disk is spinning. Let us know how it works out.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

I missed this part. Hard to imagine that big connector only has problems when the disk is spinning. Let us know how it works out

i think why it was registering more often than not with the disc spinning was the vibration of the motor affecting the IDC connector, hence why i thought it was related with the disc.

had to order molex connector (and others dif pin # for future if needed) from GPE. not 1, 5 or 6 pin molex in this entire town. wow radio shack..you call yourself an electronics store???? lol thanks for the info again Troz. cheap parts, and i should get them in 1-3 days.

#22 11 years ago

i don't get phantom hits, but i do experience periods where it will stop registering , once the ball is drained it works again on the next ball... do you guys think it's same problem/solution ? I will try and get under it tonight after work.

#23 11 years ago

Get some rubber cement and reseat that female connector to the amp board underneath.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-tech-issue-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.