• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by u2sean
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Newbie on fixing things so go easy...

My tron has a lot of games on it and it's starting to register the ball as dead while its still in play. I'm guessing it needs a full shopping. I have cleaned and waxed it a few times but never pulled everything out to do so.

Can you guys give me some guidance and first thoughts on places to look, rank easier fixes/checks first, and help me troubleshoot? I'm pretty handy and eventually figure things out but I could use a pinball friend to help talk me through some initial steps.

Thanks; appreciate it pinside.

#2 5 years ago

Well this sounds like it is going to be the trough. Tron has micro switches in the trough, so one of them is registering when it shouldn't. Start there. Check that the balls are not hanging up in the trough, and run a switch test to see if vibration is seeing off one of those.

#3 5 years ago

So the game stops mid game? It just ends the ball at anytime?

#5 5 years ago

Reset the connectors on both sides.

#6 5 years ago

Yeah, I agree. Start with opening everything up and resetting all of the connectors that you can. MAKE SURE YOU TURN THE GAME OFF FIRST I have killed fuses and transistors by not following that simple rule.

#7 5 years ago

I had this happen with my Tron fairly new out of the box. Support was great and they sent out a new set of trough boards right away. It will still happen every few months, reseating the connectors like mentioned above fixes it. I thought I read they have updated the trough boards, does anyone know what they did and if it solves the issue?

#8 5 years ago

I've had this problem too. Reseating the two opto board connectors (on either side of the ball trough) fixes it every time for me. They wiggle loose over time (and with some rigorous nudging...).

#9 5 years ago

This is especially true if you have a shaker motor. Vibration loosens these things up.

#10 5 years ago

AWESOME. Just did it and played a few games... no problems! Thanks so much!!!

#11 5 years ago

It happened on my Tron as well, I think it's a pretty common thing.

#12 5 years ago

Great that it's working. Of course it's the trough board connectors and it WILL happen again. Fix it good by putting new locking connectors on there. They stay tight to the header pins and don't wiggle off. I would also recommend reflowing (or replacing) the solder in the header pins. If replacing, use solder with lead in it. Have had issues with ST, ACDC and Shrek, and after doing these it hasn't come back.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside