Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron2.jpg
trongeek.jpg
tron_cat424x318.jpg
tron.jpg
quorra.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Say you were playing in a pingolf tourny, target score 10-12m. How would you approach Tron?

I've learned that shooting the right orbit is suicide, and shooting the left orbit is only slightly better (because if it doesn't hit the jets, it will often go SDTM). Balls can be caught out of arcade kickout by holding right flipper up.

What sort of strategy would you all take to get that as safely as possible?

Also, what the hell are you supposed to shoot with the left flipper? Just the disk and arcade scoop? Today I was practicing, and like - I had no idea what to shoot for when I had a ball on the left, and no reason to shoot the scoop. Do you just shoot the scoop to pass it over?

#2 12 years ago

I haven't played it much but I know how I would approach it if I was getting one shot in a tournament. Assuming there is a short ball saver I would take my first shots at the target bank to open up the disk and hit the TRON targets to try and get close to multi-balls. As soon as the ball saver is off I would go doe safer shots.
All pretty crude so I'll be interested to see what others say.

#3 12 years ago

Emo's saver idea is a good start if you haven't had much time on TRON. The Recognizer bank does need to come down to really get things rolling (GEM is a bit easier too, if there is such a thing! ).
I personally would start feeding Quorra's loop to get her multi started because unlike the rest, Quorra's MB can re-spawn balls with multiple target bank hits. (As well as turn on the saver with each ball added!) This mode alone should get you the points that you desire...
Usually Lightcycle MB is the first multi you will get, CLU mode usually follows, or activates simultaneously.
As for the (WTF?!?) LEFT flipper...
Practice, practice, practice!
You will come up with some pretty cool shots/combos once you get the feel.
Happy flipping!

#4 12 years ago

Try to stack Quorra and Light Cycle multiballs and hit Tron drop targets to get double scoring.
My high score is 202M.

#5 12 years ago

I think he's playing the pro...
But yes, double scoring from the TRON target bank is also a fast way to do it...
Heck, let's go for broke!
Start with the left flipper held, plunge for the ramp skill-shot, nail that- then proceed to orbit the right lane five times and shoot for the arcade! That alone will net you a cool 4 mil+ with the "end of line" bonus- all without starting a mode!

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, i'll be playing the Pro. I'd take standup targets over drop targets any day though, drops send the ball out of control.

Thanks for the advice - aiming for Quorra was pretty much the best I could come up with too. It seems like there's less of a clear path to a decent load of points on this machine vs most.

And hah, comboing the right loop, in a tournament? About half of my drains last time I was playing on tron were from trying to shoot the right loop and it going SDTM. That area is a bucket of doom and despair, which I intend to not shoot for tonight Is there a leveling problem with my machine, or is that shot always like that?

Seems to leave the left flipper with only 2 shots - disk or scoop, though.

1 week later
#7 12 years ago

You can backhand the left ramp from the left flipper(Tron LE)

#8 12 years ago

I go for the disk with my left flipper unless I haven't had a scoop award recently. That right outlane owns me, so please 411 if you've got the answer to it. Or, if Zuse is running, you have two to three Zuse shots open from the left flipper. Most of my shots come from the right flipper anyway. My last Clu shot is almost always the right orbit. I can hit the scoop easily enough but threading those pop bumpers kicks my buttocks.

#9 12 years ago

It's all in the timing taz!
The funny thing is it is actually easier to make the right orbit when the ball is traveling fast from the left orbit (via Quorra). I know the initial instinct is to hit the right ramp with the upper flipper, but if you let the ball go and just return it with the lower left flipper it makes the loop easier to time and smoother too!
If I cradle and aim for it, the shot seems to graze the edge of the pops more often than not.
Plus, you will get the occasional hang up on the spinner itself if the ball doesn't have the velocity necessary to push through the orbit with speed.

Good luck with it!

#10 12 years ago

My strategy is to aim for the blinking targets.

4 months later
#11 12 years ago

I love Tron but I can not get to Portal to save my life.

How many people can backhand the left Ramp?

Big bag of cointakers double LEDs showed up today!

#12 12 years ago

Usually (for me) it is by accident on a multiball...
Right flipper is always the way to go.

I was never a fan of the double LED's Av8, hopefully the newer non-ghosting ones are better than the originals. (If that is what you bought.) Seems like they have a new diffusing cover... Fingers crossed I guess!
Post pics when you are done, I'd be interested to see the results.

#13 12 years ago

If your goal is only 10M for pingolf I'd hold left flipper, make the upper ramp, hit arcade to collect EOL bonus, then if ballsaver is still on let it drain and repeat. Then when it feeds out arcade, hit gem, upper ramp, then arcade again. That should get you at least half way there I think. Then gem and/or light cycles for multi.

#14 12 years ago

I always try to get Quarra & Light cycle at the same time, so you can keep adding balls via the recognizer.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I always try to get Quarra & Light cycle at the same time, so you can keep adding balls via the recognizer.

I had every insert lit solid last night....except Light Cycle. It seems that is the hardest one to complete for me by far.

When I get Quorra and LCMB going at the same time, it really doesn't seem to help me much. Too much to concentrate on, because I still have to complete Quorra so I can't just concentrate on completing LCMB.

Unfortunately there is a limit to the number of balls you can add during Quorra via the Recognizer....otherwise you'd be adding balls all day.

#16 12 years ago

In a tourney i would probably just hit the combos over and over in between stacking light cycle and quorra, following up with disc battle. My preffered combos/eols being:

1. Quorra shot, right ramp, then scoop (low eol combo score but can hit it over and over)
2. Right ramp, left loop (2way combo, again, low score but can hit over and over)

3. left ramp, left loop (slight nudge to get a clean flow without hitting pops), quorra, left ramp, then scoop (medium eol score and 4way combo)

4. Right loop, right ramp, right loop, right ramp, rinse and repeat (most i ever got is 6 way combo doing this, huge eol score)

You can also get huge points in light cycle multiball fairly easy. I just hit the left ramp, then left loop with the first ball (for the super jackpot) and try to hit the right loop, left ramp then quorra with the other ball (from left flipper in cradle position) for the double super jackpot. Unfortunately, im not a pinball playing god so i cant hit that most of the time, but the need to constantly keep trying it is my main drive to play this thing.

Quorra multi you can also get huge points, but stick with the first two balls if you can without adding the rest via the recogniser (add a ball feature) as it will only create chaos on the playfield with all 4 balls flying about.

Now, playing the game to get to portal i stick with this:

1. Drop recogniser to open up gem, then repeatedly go for gem until i have it started (and lit if possible)
2. Repeatedly go for quorra until lit, then either stack that with light cycle or play as standalone multi.

Do these two modes first and the rest will follow easy enough to start Sea of simulation once you have all the modes lit. Gem is the hardest, then quorra. The more you shoot them, the easier it becomes to hit consistently.

Of course you need the mode lights lit as solid and not flashing otherwise you will be doing them again in sos.

Just the way i play my machine, even though there are multiple ways to achieve the same goal, this is what i stick with. Highest score on my pro 135mill. only ever got to portal once. Try many times daily and start off getting around 10-15mil. An hour later 30-40mil, two hours later in tearing my hair out at 50-70mil screaming the house down and severly damaging my pleasant reputation in my neighbourhood.

Tron is pure adrenalin in a box. End of line.

#17 12 years ago

I like how we're still answering a 5 month old question with thoughtful sincerity...
Go Pinside!

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

When I get Quorra and LCMB going at the same time, it really doesn't seem to help me much. Too much to concentrate on, because I still have to complete Quorra so I can't just concentrate on completing LCMB.

I'm the other way that Light Cycle is worthless to me without Quarra.

#19 12 years ago

Posted to wrong thread. Sorry!

#20 12 years ago

Quorra is NEVER useless...

quorra.jpgquorra.jpg

As TL stated, stacking quorra and LCMB together is much better than just trying to complete LCMB on it's own. I just love the ascending sound before "Ball Added" is uttered...

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

RobT said:

I'm the other way that Light Cycle is worthless to me without Quarra.

Indeed it is. But Quorra is *way* easier to complete than Light Cycle. Bottom line is that they both need to be completed to get to Portal.

Even if you don't complete Quorra before getting to Sea of Simulation, it is very easy to complete it there because it only takes one shot. Not so with Light Cycle. As such, it is more important to complete Light Cycle before Quorra if your main goal is to get to Portal.

#22 12 years ago

I've had them all solid except Lightcycle also. I believe a combo is needed to complete this during regular play(not sos) and concentrating on completing a combo while dealing with multiball takes a little discipline.

#23 12 years ago

In my experience multiball makes it harder to complete the Light Cycle mode. Too many times I've had the combo set up by hitting the left ramp and just as I'm going for Quorra my shot gets deflected by another ball, or I'm preparing for the upper left flipper shot and suddenly notice that I have two balls rolling across it at the same time and it fouls my shot to the right ramp. I also experience ball deflections a lot with Light Cycle mode going alone. That second ball is hard to get control of and is actually more of a nuisance to me.

#24 12 years ago

btw, a simple question right with the topic :

who already COMPLETED the PORTAL ?
i didnt...

#25 12 years ago

Only got to portal once. Choked a microsecond after it started too.... Grrr..

#26 12 years ago

Uff I've come a couple shots away form it a couple times now...i put up a nice score in qualifying at Michigan Expo, so close to portal! Dammit. I've never really had a long stretch to play it though. I'll get there.

#27 12 years ago

I love Tron and chasing the, to this point elusive Portal is like crack.

But the question I have is.... for those who have made it to the portal and possibly "cleared" it.....does the game change after that. Is the thrill gone?

#28 12 years ago

I just used most of the advice on here and tried focusing on Quorra shot. New high score and sea of simulation 48 Mil 3 ball. Dont laugh I have only had it a week.

#29 12 years ago

Nice! Quarra shot is a great thing to go for because the risk is kind of low. If you miss the shot, You have a chance of hitting the recognizer which is good & the drain factor is low. Plus when you hit it, you get shots at Gem, which probably most people feel like is the toughest shot.

2 months later
#30 11 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

But the question I have is.... for those who have made it to the portal and possibly "cleared" it.....does the game change after that. Is the thrill gone?

I know this is an old thread, but to answer this question: "No"
Tron didn't lose its thrill for me once I FINALLY cleared Portal. The game, challenge, music, and flow will continue to be a thrill for a long time to come, imho.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

I know this is an old thread, but to answer this question: "No"
Tron didn't lose its thrill for me once I FINALLY cleared Portal. The game, challenge, music, and flow will continue to be a thrill for a long time to come, imho.

Glad you bumped this thread actually; we were discussing some Tron stratigies this morning and this thread was more developed on the point than that one was.

#32 11 years ago

Although I was only able to put a couple of pieces together, watching this vid helped move me a bit closer to what you're supposed to be doing in this crazy pin.

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/papa-14-qualifying-tron-roy-wils/

I put up 82M and the GC score on a pinside buddies LE machine. Sorry Mike!

#33 11 years ago

lol is the effort ive done @ Papa14 last year on an Tron with the most difficult hard settings in the bank of A Division, i was able to get sea of simulation in ball 1.. and starting portal multiball in ball 3.. now been used as an How to Learn to play Tron Tutorial? thats an compliment to my skills id say love it guys... great

im Roy Wils by the way,. whois gonna be @ papa15 this year.. i will

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Hey, no problem gives me something to shoot for. Besides I have the keys and can always reset them

#35 11 years ago

I like to stack both quorra and light cycle and shoot for the scoop. These shots and modes are your bread and butter, and staying in multi-ball will get you big points. I will often repeat these modes before I even go for disc multiball. If the wall is down, I sometimes will fire a few in the disc just so I don't have many left to do when I need it.

CLU , i usually take care of early with light cycle, sometimes without. I have a pretty high percentage of completing this mode, starting out with when the ball ejects the scoop, hit it a tad late for a left orbit in to the pops. Often times, taking out 1 or 2 helmets with rocking and rolling or ramps to the inlane switches.

For gem, I usually shoot the 3 bank wall down early for a slightly easier shot to gem. I shoot quorra and then nudge the machine up slightly just before it gets to the 3rd flipper/I flip. Often times, staying in multi-ball will give you a few gems by accident.

Combos are fun- My best combo was 10. I got a glimpse at one once that was 11 million and change when I cashed in during a strong multiball session. I haven't been able to repeat this score for a combo cash in since.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from DutchTommy:

lol is the effort ive done @ Papa14 last year on an Tron with the most difficult hard settings in the bank of A Division, i was able to get sea of simulation in ball 1.. and starting portal multiball in ball 3.. now been used as an How to Learn to play Tron Tutorial? thats an compliment to my skills id say love it guys... great
im Roy Wils by the way,. whois gonna be @ papa15 this year.. i will

Just watched the vid. I feel like I have seen all that Tron has to offer and you have saved me $5000+. That was a great game...you real players make it look so easy.

#37 11 years ago

My strategy lately is to forget about anything but the 3/4 way combo shot (Left Ramp, Quorra, Right Ramp, Scoop) to bulid up the End Of Line jackpot as much as possible. On this game I had it at 9mil for two different balls (18mil during double scoring!). Always plunge for GEM and if you start the GEM hurry-up make that shot a priority to complete it. Best to have a multiball running of course.

My opening game shots always start with plunging for GEM, leaning on the harder side of the plunge. If I overshoot GEM I'll at least get the right orbit lightcycle. Hit the 3/4 way combo which will light/start the first Lightcycle multiball with an EoL value of 1.4mil. Great way to start.

Try to have double scoring running before starting Sea of Simulation. 100million for starting Portal direct from SoS with score doubling is HUGE!

tron.jpgtron.jpg

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

My strategy lately is to forget about anything but the 3/4 way combo shot (Left Ramp, Quorra, Right Ramp, Scoop) to bulid up the End Of Line jackpot as much as possible. On this game I had it at 9mil for two different balls (18mil during double scoring!). Always plunge for GEM and if you start the GEM hurry-up make that shot a priority to complete it. Best to have a multiball running of course.
My opening game shots always start with plunging for GEM, leaning on the harder side of the plunge. If I overshoot GEM I'll at least get the right orbit lightcycle. Hit the 3/4 way combo which will light/start the first Lightcycle multiball with an EoL value of 1.4mil. Great way to start.
Try to have double scoring running before starting Sea of Simulation. 100million for starting Portal direct from SoS with score doubling is HUGE!

Holy crap that's a great score!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

+1

This is my strategy to a T. Eat, breathe, and sleep what you're calling the "3/4 combo." I intentionally avoid starting a multiball until I have the EOL jackpot built up. Don't think I jacked it up to 9MIL though -- nice!! I've had it up to 6MIL, and cashed in a double scoring EOL of 12+. Which incidentally is better than most of my Portal scoring debacles.

Now the big question: if you DON'T have double scoring running when SOS is ready with lots of the modes completed from the bottom up, do you risk draining for a ride in the pops to hopefully change TRON target award to double scoring?? It's a nice risk/reward trade-off.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Now the big question: if you DON'T have double scoring running when SOS is ready with lots of the modes completed from the bottom up, do you risk draining for a ride in the pops to hopefully change TRON target award to double scoring?? [] It's a nice risk/reward trade-off.

If I'm on ball 3, no. Ball 1 or 2, sure, take a crack at it.

#41 11 years ago

Is there another way to change lit tron award besides the pops?

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Damn bro! You gotta come up to Sacramento and show me how to play me LE apparently

#43 11 years ago

Troz, awesome score...

And I hate you.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Holy crap that's a great score!

+1. Well done -- you've got my best score beat by around 20M.
Any extra balls awarded for that 359M score? Mine is on a Pro on location, so the replay awards a credit, and not an extra ball.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

+1. Well done -- you've got my best score beat by around 20M.
Any extra balls awarded for that 359M score? Mine is on a Pro on location, so the replay awards a credit, and not an extra ball.

Thanks. No extra balls. I have the game setup on tournament mode too, so only 500k awarded from the scoop.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Thanks. No extra balls. I have the game setup on tournament mode too, so only 500k awarded from the scoop.

Wow. Even more impressive.

#47 11 years ago

tron nerds

tron_cat424x318.jpgtron_cat424x318.jpg trongeek.jpgtrongeek.jpg tron2.jpgtron2.jpg

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Looks like you are going to have to come back over. Finaly got portal mutli bull and put up 154.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-strategy-any-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.