Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NimblePin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Orange.jpg
    2012-04-17_10.20.01.jpg
    2012-04-23_18.03.58.jpg
    photo.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Picked up a pro this weekend and man i love it...

Anyway, i played one a while back and was not too impressed with the disk, the ball would dribble out and moderately shoot out from time to time.. my game however - i cant believe how powerful it is! I assume the one i had played earlier since on location was dirty but i was not prepared for how the ball shoots out of the disk!

I have had the ball come out with such a force it would actually leap over the flippers for a drain (happened once so far) and another time it did this!!!! LOL

I hope the plastics survive!

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Joe its Jon.

Keep it! The more power the better.

Mine dribbled before the first 100 plays. Since then, its gotten faster and faster - guess it loosening up. The more it throws it that ball the more i love it. You should have some back spin on some toss outs too - cool effects like straight at you, only to stop on a dime and reverse. Sick is what it is.

Guess the newer models have loosened up out of the box?

#3 11 years ago

welcome to the club ! this disk is evil !!!

sometimes, i got a direct drain in the middle and quite even see the ball
    also got some shots hurting the apron, and with speed & rotating movement, climbing back in the playfield thrue the outlane (this also happend in other pins)

#4 11 years ago

Lol when I played it the ball came out smoking, literally!

#5 11 years ago

Really like the way in which the ball is thrown out fast and randomly. Sometimes SDTM, back into the disk, through GEM, over flipper etc. If you get mesmorized following the ball, you can easily miss a flip.

IM has a few fast throws although war machine always puts it on the flipper so no risk involved in doing nothing. Monger and Whiplash are much less predictable and can sometimes give a good throw.

#6 11 years ago

Probably a result of extra grime buildup or wear on the disc rubber.

#7 11 years ago

JoeJet,
    The pic you took is exactly what happened to me as well when the game was new or the disc is cleaned. After about 100 plays you will notice the disc doesn't whip the ball out anymore unless you take it out and clean it again.

That is my experience. I need to take the assembly out again and clean the rubber off. For some reason on mine it doens't take long for the "new disc" feeling to wear off.

#8 11 years ago

Yeah you will notice that it won't be as powerful unless you keep the disc clean.

On a side note, what are you guys using to clean your disc? I was told to wipe it down with alcohol.

#9 11 years ago

I would highly recommend protectors on the game. And new balls. The ball spin is wild. Keep playfield waxed or use a wood cleaner protectant (Orange Glow Wood Furniture Polish)

What do I clean Quarra with?

2012-04-23_18.03.58.jpg2012-04-23_18.03.58.jpg 2012-04-17_10.20.01.jpg2012-04-17_10.20.01.jpg

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from jackal2001:

After about 100 plays you will notice the disc doesn't whip the ball out anymore unless you take it out and clean it again.

That is my experience.

That's my experience as well.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Keep playfield waxed or use a wood cleaner protectant (Orange Glow Wood Furniture Polish)

Why would you use a wood cleaner/protectant on a pinball playfield such as Orange Glow? That stuff seems oily/greasy.

#12 11 years ago

Thats a seperate topic. For HUO it great pinball detailer and protectant. Especially on plastic ramps, cabinet decals and shooter lane. Friction is the enemy. Even metal ramps.

For the playfield I use it it lightly as it oily. Just wipe it off. Keeps wood from drying out.

This is much better then doing nothing and easier then waxing. My informational speech is over. Try it, Take it or leave it.

Orange.jpgOrange.jpg

#13 11 years ago

I had one come out with so much back spin that it made the left loop! It is an awesome toy, that's for sure... not too good if sound level is an issue (i.e. if it's in your front room where your wife also likes to hear the TV... as mine was!... I guess Stern didn't pull any stops out in getting these things balanced... Makes me wonder how long the bearings will last

Anyone had any bearing failures yet...?

#14 11 years ago

AV8 what are those plastic protectors over the ramp exits? look cool

#15 11 years ago

Prototype one of kind Im told. Came with my machine.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Anyone had any bearing failures yet...?

My bearings got really loud and the disc lost power, so I lubed each end of the shaft with Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil from Lowe's. Quieted back down and the power came back. It's a spray can and can make a mess, so if you do this, move it far away from the machine. I also would clean the rubber disc with Bleche White.

Had one ball come out so fast it ricocheted off the flipper bats and went straight back up into the disc. I've also had it hit and bounce into the shooter lane for an auto launch.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Thats a seperate topic. For HUO it great pinball detailer and protectant. Especially on plastic ramps, cabinet decals and shooter lane. Friction is the enemy. Even metal ramps.
    For the playfield I use it it lightly as it oily. Just wipe it off. Keeps wood from drying out.
    This is much better then doing nothing and easier then waxing. My informational speech is over. Try it, Take it or leave it.

Attachments Orange.jpg (133.8 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

Am I missing something here? You said this stuff protects the wood, etc., thats all good and all but these PF's are clearcoated right? Theres no wood to protect, thats what the clearcoat is for. Use Carnauba wax for your clearcoated PF. But if i'am missing something let me know

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

My bearings got really loud and the disc lost power, so I lubed each end of the shaft with Liquid Wrench Lubricating Oil from Lowe's. Quieted back down and the power came back.

I don't know how the bearings are made on this... just spindles in bushes, or do they actually have rolling elements in there? Either way, my guess would be that if yours got loud and the disk lost power, that oil will be a temporary fix... I'd bet you problem will be back sooner than you think... You may need to look at replacing the bearings (bushes or rolling elements or whatever)... The ideal solution would be to get the disk balanced to a high grade, that will quieten it and make the bearings last longer... it would probably also give it more power since there'll be less friction losses to the bearings... cos you need more power right

#19 11 years ago

Wow, Orange Glo? For a PF/ramp?
    I'd think the ball would drag that residue all over the machine making it even dirtier than before.
    Novus #2 and Carnuba should do just fine.
    As for the disc cleaning...
    I lower the 3 bank down in the menu and fire up the disc so that I can gently use my lightly soaked (table tennis) sponge (with Wildcat or Butterfly rubber cleaner) and let the motor do all the work. (Don't press down too hard BTW!) It's a little wonky having to hold the button down while doing this but, it sure beats taking it apart!
    Once dry, the disc becomes nice and tacky- ready to pummel your plastics! Mwahahahaha!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-spinning-disk-too-powerful and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.