• 21 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Russo121
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Tron Software Update Suggestions:

The gameplay is fast and exciting, and I appreciate how challenging the machine is. It definitely has the 'just one more game' factor. In no way would I want a software update to make things easier, or to slow things down, so if more Extra Balls are awarded, I would want the objectives to be more difficult to balance this out.

Here are some suggestions, I am interested to hear about your ideas for improved software.

Extra Balls:
1) Light Extra Ball when you have 'completed' 2 modes in the tree before entering the Sea of Simulation. Nothing groundbreaking here, it copies many other titles, but it does reward you for completing 2 objectives and it extends your game by doing so.
2) During Light Cycle Multiball, award EB if the Quorra shot is hit 5x.
3) Random - but increase the randomness from .03% to 3%.

Clu: Clu often starts at the same time Light Cycles or another mode starts. A software update could possibly separate this from the other modes better somehow so it isn't grouped together as much. This would make the game more difficult.

Flynn: From what I understand of the software, at certain times during the game, the red arrows flash and when one is hit, it awards Flynn. I tend to this shot by accident, so I would suggest making this more difficult to achieve and possibly adding more visual / audio feedback for this objective.

Additional High Score Options:
Combo Champion, Light Cycle Champion, Portal Champion, Disc Champion, and I do not know what happens when Wizard Mode is completed, but have a Date Stamp that shows when a user has 'Entered the Portal'.

The Skill Shot when you hold the left flipper down doesn't seem complete. After I loop the ball and hit the scoop, I see a 'End of Line' Jackpot. If I add more combo shots before hitting the scoop, I recall the End of Line jackpot is bigger.

Sea of Simulation: When this is started, I would like to see a bigger/better light, visual, and audio show.

Sound: I really like how the sound is integrated into the game. It is very balanced, the audio call outs follow your path through the game nicely, Castor is probably the best. My wish would be to have more of everything along with some call outs that are deep in the code and not heard often.

DMD: Maybe I just haven't seen it yet, but I am surprised that the video of the 4 sirens preparing Sam Flynn for the Games isn't used. There are a lot of good options in this scene. "This one is different", "Survive". Maybe these are used and I haven't noticed. A suggestion is to have more video / audio when the 3 bank target is dropped to show him getting ready for disc battle.

What would you like to see in a software update?

#2 11 years ago

Even after spending up to $2000.00 in mods people want a software updates too?

#3 11 years ago

Heck yes, this machine is a 10, why not go to 11?!?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

1) Light Extra Ball when you have 'completed' 2 modes in the tree before entering the Sea of Simulation. Nothing groundbreaking here, it copies many other titles, but it does reward you for completing 2 objectives and it extends your game by doing so.

Way WAY too easy IMO.

There is no way you're starting SOS *consistently* without having two modes lit solid. Flynn is one of those and I'm not sure I've EVER started SOS without him being lit solid. =\

Totally dig the quorra shots during lightcycle though.. that would also actually encourage stacking of Quorra and Lightcycle as well.

I don't know what all they've done the last few updates as I primarily played it on location on god-knows-what code rev. prior to owning the thing, but at least in this most recent code rev, there is a LOT of stuff that I never heard in the arcade either due to noise or it just doesn't come up that frequently.

Using the sirens scene would be a welcome addition for sure. When the drop bank goes down "This one is different. What am I supposed to do? Survive. BATTLE RINZLER FOR DISC WAR MULTIBALL!" Eye candy for observers and ear candy for the player.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Even after spending up to $2000.00 in mods people want a software updates too?

LMAO...I should've known....go figure I could pick out the ONE person most likely to troll the thread to unsquelch of the list, first shot! Man, that was short lived...you try to give people the benefit of the doubt...and they prove you wrong EVERY TIME!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

LMAO...I should've known....go figure I could pick out the ONE person most likely to troll the thread to unsquelch of the list, first shot! Man, that was short lived...you try to give people the benefit of the doubt...and they prove you wrong EVERY TIME!

Aw be nice...he's only got 2 games to play...and each one takes up an hour or two per game so he doesn't feel like playing them...he's bored.

Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Tron Software Update Suggestions:
Clu: Clu often starts at the same time Light Cycles or another mode starts. A software update could possibly separate this from the other modes better somehow so it isn't grouped together as much. This would make the game more difficult.

Stacking is good. This game has good stacking strategies and I doubt Lyman would alter that aspect of the game. If you light Clu before a MB you can stack. If you start a MB, you have to wait until its over to light Clu. If you want a game without stacking, play X-Men in its current form.

Honestly Tron is damn near perfect the way it is...I suppose it might be nice if Gem, Flynn, Tron, and Recognizer modes had some more nuanced rules in order to light/complete their insert ladders...maybe the roaming inserts should be for "Follow Gem" since you'd be...following her! Maybe some new rules for Find Flynn....but if the game stayed as is, I'd be fine with that.

I wish the Lightcycle and Quorra Multiball intros weren't abbreviated when started after a mystery award. I love those intros & you can skip them w/ both flipper buttons if you don't wanna see them.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stacking is good. This game has good stacking strategies and I doubt Lyman would alter that aspect of the game. If you light Clu before a MB you can stack. If you start a MB, you have to wait until its over to light Clu. If you want a game without stacking, play X-Men in its current form.

Rarehero: I agree, keep the multiball stacking. I am not 100% sure what needs to be done to start Clu, probably just hit each of the blinking helmet shots. I always seem to have it active when I start Light Cycle Multiball, probably because many of the shots are similar.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I suppose it might be nice if Gem, Flynn, Tron, and Recognizer modes had some more nuanced rules in order to light/complete their insert ladders...maybe the roaming inserts should be for "Follow Gem" since you'd be...following her! Maybe some new rules for Find Flynn

Following Gem with different shots would make more sense, and I agree that some new rules for Find Flynn would be in order.

Quoted from Frax:

Way WAY too easy IMO.

There is no way you're starting SOS *consistently* without having two modes lit solid. Flynn is one of those and I'm not sure I've EVER started SOS without him being lit solid. =\

Agreed. Awarding you an extra ball for achieving the main objective of the game would make the game easier. That EB needs to be difficult to get!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Rarehero: I agree, keep the multiball stacking. I am not 100% sure what needs to be done to start Clu, probably just hit each of the blinking helmet shots. I always seem to have it active when I start Light Cycle Multiball, probably because many of the shots are similar.

To light Clu you spell CLU with the inlanes. You can rotate the inlanes w/ the flipper buttons so you can make sure the ball is going thru the unlit one. The Clu helmet lights up at the scoop to indicate the mode is ready..shoot the scoop to start.

#9 11 years ago

ChadH wrote this in a similar thread and it seems to be the definitive list of suggested improvements:

Last October, I compiled this list from a thread I posted on RGP. Here was my suggestions for the final TRON code update:

This list was complied from the suggestions of many pinball enthusiasts. TRON Legacy is a great game but could be made even better if the suggestions below were implemented.

TRON MODE SPECIFIC SUGGESTIONS:

FLYNN

As it stands now, Flynn is almost a throw-away mode. Most players just start the mode by dropping the ball down the Zen lane and then forget about it since the chances are that the mode will complete at some point through normal gameplay. Flynn could be deeper. Keeping the timer in mind, hitting the arrow in time could collect that shot and reset the timer forcing you to hit X number of arrows in time to actually find Flynn. Each time through the Zen lane your spot could be kept so you start from where you left off.

GEM

Make is so when the Gem switch is hit, there is ALWAYS feedback in terms of a sound effect, DMD display, or flashing the ramps the Gem color (or all three!). Many times the Gem switch is hit and it counts it but there is no positive feedback because something else took priority. Seeing as this is one of the most difficult shots in the game, it should ALWAYS produce feedback.

CLU

Currently, when CLU mode ends, Flynn ALWAYS says "That was impressive, man" even if you don't hit any of the targets. Make it so he only says that if you get 3 or 4 of the targets. Make it say something like "Not in the cards!" if you get none or just one.

ZUSE

Add a timer bar on the display for Zuse.

QUORRA

No changes requested.

DISC WAR

There needs to be a better indication of how many more discs are needed to hit to start Disc War multiball. Currently, it plays an animation and then shows the number. Instead, have it flash the number instantly, then play the animation, then show the number again like normal. Also,
a left side display under the scores would be nice so you always know where you stand.
Add some special bang sound effect when you get Disc Multiball Super Jackpot. Right now it just says super jackpot and no fanfare.

LIGHT CYCLE

The Light Cycle MB always should show the entire animated opening sequence even when other things are lit at the scoop. Light Cycle MB could have more to it. After completing the needed combo you should be given a different one. After Super Jackpot maybe a four way combo lights to complete for Cycle Jackpot. Then another for Grid Jackpot. Or stacking combos onto Super should score Super Jackpot bonuses so you could ramp up the Super. During Light Cycle MB the center target bank is dead. It should reset the timer on a running combo so if you don't have the shot you need lined up you could shoot the bank and give yourself a little more time to hit the shot.

RECOGNIZER

Right now, Recognizer is a complete throw away. Something more should be done to complete this mode. Possibly make it only complete after dropping the target bank twice (instead of once).

TRON

After completing the TRON drop target bank for the third time, have the call out of "bum ba bum bum bum, TRON!". This could also activate a MUCH REQUESTED VIDEO MODE which should be started by entering the scoop. Then you have to complete the video mode to complete the TRON mode and light the insert solid.

PORTAL

Flesh out the second stage of Portal. Currently Portal never ends... you never actually reach the portal and get beamed up! There has got to be a portal after getting all shots and beam up!

TRON MISCELLANEOUS SUGGESTIONS:

a) The Instant Info currently only gives you your bonus and tells you the high scores. It should give information about the current completion status of the modes, Gem shots, Quorra shots, Daft Punk ramp shots, etc.

b) Add Multiple High Score challenges (just like how spiderman has combo champion, spider-sense champion, bonus champion, battle royale champion, etc). Give them names like Gem Follower, Disc Warrior, Flynn Finder, Combo Champion, Light Cycle Champion, etc.

c) The difficulty adjustments don't do anything. Make them functional.

d) Give DMD callouts and sound effects to ALL the named combos. Currently, only 2-way and 3-way have DMD callouts. The combos should be a bigger part of the rules. When a combo is
collected a list be shown on the screen like the Wizard mode list on Family Guy showing which have been collected and which are needed. You should earn a combo bonus for completing a new combo on the list and should get a Grid Master award for hitting all possible combos in a
game.
It would be nice to have Theil's wife name the combos when they are made. Hearing her say "Ricochet combo" or "Light Runner combo" would be really cool. Especially if the combos were used towards a combo mode like spiderman or a combo jackpot. It would also be nice to have her say "END OF LINE" after losing ball 3 on occassion.

e) Add more varied Mystery Awards. Since it is so often awarded it would be nice to have more events occur beyond the usual 500,000 and a few other advance awards. If you get the 500,000 award, there should not be any positive audio comment ("It's your lucky day") associated
with it since this is the most common award. Instead, use that audio call out for the the more rarer awards.

f) Daft Punk should be spelled on the ramps in both Pro and LE versions, but the LE should be the only one with the End of Line MB. This would allow Pro models to award an extra ball for the ramps. Beyond that, each full spelling of Daft Punk should award something. First time - Extra Ball, second time - Daft Punk MB, third time - 1 million, second time - 3 million, fouth time - extra ball, and so on. The ramps do nothing after two times until you hit 8 and that is miles
away. Awards for each spelling would keep the ramps meaning something and more interesting.
The display should be better choreographed to show Daft Punk spelling every time there is a ramp shot. Other animations stop it from showing and it is easy to lose your position toward extra ball. Possibly even show this on the display on the left below the scores.

g) The exchange from the movie...SAM - "what do I do?" GEM - "survive." is glaringly missing. It should be there at ball start or light cycle MB start from time to time, or Disc MB start. They already use Sam quotes and the one-word quote from Gem could be done by a sound alike since all she has to say is "Survive". Probably any female in the office (or David Theil's wife) could say that then distort it a little.

h) Add some pizazz to being awarded SPECIAL. Currently it is very uninspiring. It just shows SPECIAL in the middle of the DMD, and says "Special awarded". Add a DMD animation and light show.

i) When ball is in shooter lane and Flynn's Arcade is showing on DMD, add the current ball number to the display. I don't know how many times I lose track of which ball I am on... "is this ball 2 or 3?"

j) Make it so the Sea of Simulation bonuses are added on as they are enumerated on the display, instead of before the enumeration starts. Same goes for the 500,000 for Flynn's Arcade and others.

#10 11 years ago

Great suggestions! When I originally did a search for this topic, I didn't find that. Thanks for adding it.

Regarding the video mode, it seems Stern has gone away from video modes, so it is probably unlikely that they will add something. I am fine without a video mode, BUT if they did add something... Light Cycle game play similar to the arcade would be interesting, but it would take away from the current objectives of hitting the ramps to take out opponents. The only thing I could think of that hasn't been covered in the game is a Shooter type sequence where Sam Flynn is shooting the Light Jets. Maybe one of the targets you shoot for is an EB. If this video mode was added, it should appear after Gem, Discs, & Light Cycles were complete which might be difficult because you would be so close to SoS anyway.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

To light Clu you spell CLU with the inlanes. You can rotate the inlanes w/ the flipper buttons so you can make sure the ball is going thru the unlit one. The Clu helmet lights up at the scoop to indicate the mode is ready..shoot the scoop to start.

Thanks.

#12 11 years ago

your suggestions are cool so you guys make sure the guys at stern read it!
send an email? drop a letter?

#13 11 years ago

FYI all the Named combos and how to achieve them.

LR= left ramp. RR= right ramp. Q=Quorra. G=Gem. RO= right orbit. LO= left orbit

Last Iso- LR-Q
Jarvis- Q-RR
Castor- LR-LO
Light Cycle- LR-Q-RR
Light Runner- LR-Q-RR-RO
Rinzler- LR-Q-RR-RO-RR
Outlands- LR-Q-G
Siren- Q-G
Ree Man Jedi- Q-RR-RO
End of the Line- RO-G
Grid- LR-Q-RR-RO-G

#14 11 years ago

LR= left ramp. RR= right ramp. Q=Quorra. G=Gem. RO= right orbit. LO= left orbit

Last Iso- LR-Q
Jarvis- Q-RR
Castor- LR-LO
Light Cycle- LR-Q-RR
Light Runner- LR-Q-RR-RO
Rinzler- LR-Q-RR-RO-RR
Outlands- LR-Q-G
Siren- Q-G
Ree Man Jedi- Q-RR-RO
End of the Line- RO-G
Grid- LR-Q-RR-RO-G

I had no idea about these, thanks! Since some are more difficult than others, are you awarded different point values for each combo? Does the game call out the combo you make when you achieve it?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

your suggestions are cool so you guys make sure the guys at stern read it!
send an email? drop a letter?

Hopefully more people will chime in with suggestions before I e-mail this thread link. I was in the November run, and after fixing a few bugs and installing some mods, I am finally able to get some games under my belt.

By the way, since we are talking software, I am impressed that the shaker motor software was already setup. The shaker motor integrates well with game play, and the install was very easy with the pre-drilled holes in the cabinet. So far my first Stern has been a success!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

Regarding the video mode, it seems Stern has gone away from video modes, so it is probably unlikely that they will add something. I am fine without a video mode, BUT if they did add something...

I am very thankful to that. A stupid required video mode on an orange dot screen would ruin this game.

#17 11 years ago

You guys do already know that the new software has already been seen at PAPA and EXPO right? I doubt much more on top of that will be added.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

You guys do already know that the new software has already been seen at PAPA and EXPO right? I doubt much more on top of that will be added.

If that was the case it would have been released already

#19 11 years ago

Whatever happened to "New Tron code coming summer 2012" ? That used to be a stone-cold-lock in the rumor mill back in the day. Didn't exactly make the date, if it makes it at all. Improvements for this amount of time also seem lacking with no video mode to speak of. Kind of disappointed to hear about the images added to the mystery shot instead of text... sounds like they might look like Pokemon cards or something. At least they haven't tried to call it a Power Pak!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If that was the case it would have been released already

took a few months for the code Lyman had on the new ACDC at gameworks to get released too, but it was pretty much the same.

#21 11 years ago

I love Tron how it is, but theres always room for improvement. Fingers crossed for an update before xmas!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Trade
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-software-update-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.