2.jpg
6.jpg
SMD3.jpg
SMD2.jpg
SMD1.jpg
20140603_003322.jpg
20140603_003310.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Has anyone added lighting to their TRON scoop? I currently have the arcade mod sitting on top of it but would like to actually add lighting to the scoop. I know Pinball Refinery has a $15 mod but not sure what type of LED is being used and what it hooks into.
I was consider using the following LED 6 SMD strip and tapping into a flasher to coincide with the flashing as the ball ejects from the scoop. However, I'm wondering where in the scoop I should place it to avoid the ball damaging it as it ejects at a decent velocity.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smd12vpad.htm

#2 9 years ago

That $15 scoop blue flasher is AWESOME! It hooks into the arcade flasher, is plug and play, and best thing I you kind of get a heads up as to when the ball is going to shout out.

#3 9 years ago

+1 with Toro1966. It works great!

#4 9 years ago

Some info on this thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-2-scoop-light-mod

Its easy, remove your scoops screws. Note what is the bottom, where the ball goes, the part furthest from the playfield. The top is the opposite side, the ball doesnt touch the top. It sticks there...

#5 9 years ago

Based on the arch of the scoop on TRON, I'm not sure this 6 SMD adhesive light would work in the Stern scoop because it appears the ball shoots up and follows the arc. Can someone shed some light on how to light this scoop or if this 6 SMD blue would work? How does the Pinball Refinery part look?

20140603_003310.jpg20140603_003310.jpg 20140603_003322.jpg20140603_003322.jpg
#6 9 years ago

Need some help in hooking up my TRON scoop using a 6 SMD pad. I have the TRON arcade mod but want to tap into the flashing of the arcade machine when the scoop is just about to eject the ball. I've included some pictures of the 6 SMD pad, the blue wire running out of the arcade which in turn runs up into the backbox.... What do I tie into?

SMD1.jpgSMD1.jpg SMD2.jpgSMD2.jpg SMD3.jpgSMD3.jpg
#7 9 years ago

I don't have the comet pinball pad, but in this vid you can see how to attach to Flynns arcade:

I didn't go over any specific details on the connection, but I'm using Cat5 cable as my wire. It's thin enough to fit in the socket receptacle WITH the Flynn's Arcade LED. In the vid, it's the super thin orange-white twisted wires that are going from the Green #44 Flex LED to the Flynns Arcade Insert Light.
I tried soldering other wires in these damn plastic LED mounts (that have the diode inside) and couldn't figure out anything that works as reliably as this method. Let me know if you want, and I can do another youtube vid with the details.

If your pad is 6v, then it would hook up to a (#44) GI socket ~ I prefer interactive ~ hence the Flynns Arcade.
I'll let someone else chime in, but I believe that your LED is 6v, (I didn't see you specify if it was 6v or 12v) which will work with most leds (non-flasher) on Tron (except the disc)

If your pad is 12v, then my second mod is a 12v flasher that connects to the Arcade Scoop Eject Flasher - WARNING - don't hook it up there, unless yours is 12v - damage WILL incur.

#8 9 years ago

Double post

#9 9 years ago

Boogies,
Fantastic idea of the dual colors! I have the 6SMD LED stuck under the playfield after removing the scoop so when the ball hits the scoop, both my TRON arcade mod and the scoop flash. However, after seeing your idea, I believe I'm going to add a green LED to tie into the FLYNNS insert so I know the scoop is ready. Even going further based on your idea, I might tap into the light bulb that pulses/flashes when Sea Of Simulation is available to make it easier to see and notify me it's available.

#10 9 years ago

Does anyone know if the flasher/pulser under the FLYNNS plastic that flashes when Sea of Simulation is 12v or 6v? I'm no electrician and no just enough of this modding to get by!
I need to know what kind of LED bulb or regular bulb I would need to tap off of this big flasher bulb

#11 9 years ago

If its the large bulb, then its 12v

#12 9 years ago

So adding to my scoop mod, I'm trying to get a flex LED to light solid when the FLYNNS ARCADE insert (green triangle) is lit. I've hooked it up to the bulb under the insert but it continues to stay on all of the time (it actually continues to flash when the FLYNNS ARCADE green insert is off). I'm not sure what the issue is unless it's because there appears to be a diode within the light bulb receptacle now that I see it lit up (as in the picture).
How can I hook up an LED to this circuit to follow the FLYNNS ARCADE green triangle insert (on when scoop ready for bonus, off when not available)?
Picture #1 is the underside of the FLYNNS ARCADE insert (with my wires to power the LED not connected)
Picture #2 is the LED flex I'm using to light the scoop in green when the insert is lit.

6.jpg6.jpg
2.jpg2.jpg

#13 9 years ago

Your wire (connection) is before he diode. It MUST be after the diode, or else all light on that row/column will act goofy. I can post a pic of how I did mine later tonight

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

Your wire (connection) is before he diode. It MUST be after the diode, or else all light on that row/column will act goofy. I can post a pic of how I did mine later tonight

I figured it had something to do with the diode and the behavior of how it turns on/off. I would love to see how you tied yours in as I couldn't see the detail in the video of where exactly your wires attach to the green insert bulb socket.

#15 9 years ago

Here's how I connect (the super thin Cat5 Cable) to the insert bulb. The Orange and Orange/White wires (next to my thumb) go inside the socket with the bulb. It's very simplistic, and yet easy to remove/replace.

0608141911.jpg0608141911.jpg

Only 2 wires are needed to add this to the new scoop LED to the existing LED. You're pic appears to have several wires connected to the scoop LED socket. Hopefully you aren't attaching this to multiple sources - that could cause problems.

Also, if it doesn't light up, then reverse the polarity.

#16 9 years ago

Is there a secure way of keeping the wires in place such as placing a small drop of solder in?

#17 9 years ago

If u r concerned, then u can try soldering it to the LED leads. It might be hard to insert into socket. Honestly I didnt worry about it. After all, most LEDs have flimsy leads that slide around anyways

#18 9 years ago

BUMP
Does anyone on Pinside have recommendations for tying into the Sea Of Simulation flasher and adding a light to the scoop? The light now is 12V but I'm wondering:
1) can another bulb (LED preferably) be added to this circuit without overdoing the voltage needed
2) what connections should be tied into or can a person just solder onto the 2 leads on the SOS bulb socket under the playfield for power?

1 week later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Trade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-scoop-lighting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.