Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by jackal2001
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

slot2.jpg
    slot1.jpg
    ramp2.jpg
    ramp1.jpg
    P1010476(1).jpg
    P1010474(1).jpg
    #1 12 years ago

sterns plastic is made out of paper mache these day? now i know how they plan on making profits, people have to buy 600$ worth of ramps each year. sterns support department doesn't even make protectors for these, only (2 protectors, out of 4 sides). some reason or another, they only gave me 1 ramp protector (on the inner right ramp, lower side). i have 1 replacement ramp they warranteed, but as you can see the other is f'd too. not replacing ramp until i have protectors. this is funny stuff right here.

CLIFFY, WHERE ARE YOU MAN???? i had to place Mylar on both sides of the 'existing' sides of the ramps to prevent them from breaking all the way to the backbox...lmao. this is kind of sad, 8 months and 2 thrashed out ramps. amazed really, amazed.

P1010474(1).jpgP1010474(1).jpg P1010476(1).jpgP1010476(1).jpg

#2 12 years ago

Looks like you need to get cliffy to make some protectors if they do not already exist.

#3 12 years ago

Huh. So my sense that Tron felt like a cheap plastic-y game wasn't just my imagination! Stern quality has been plummeting in the past couple of years. Weren't the introduction of useless pf "support pegs" enough of a clue?

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

So my sense that Tron felt like a cheap plastic-y game wasn't just my imagination

to some extent yes. you also have to consider this game has 5000 plays i think. i'm just bummed out that replacement ramps are so expensive. interested to see if any other pro or le owners have had these issues.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Looks like you need to get cliffy to make some protectors if they do not already exist.

ya, it's been ongoing for 5 months now. he needs a tron to make the templates for the ramps. i just think its sad that Stern didn't even make the protectors for the ramps...really?

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Huh. So my sense that Tron felt like a cheap plastic-y game wasn't just my imagination! Stern quality has been plummeting in the past couple of years.

Spidey had the exact same problem. Are you new here?

Even at the weird angle, that first pic shows it was going to happen sooner or later. The post doesn't stick out enough to prevent the ball from hitting the side of the ramp. Is that an LE, or does the LE have more ramp protectors? They were added for BSM. You had to order thru Stern though.

5k plays is a lot for that new of a game. If that game was on location, you'd be happy if that was the only damage. Sucks that the replacement ramps are expensive, but that's the nature of the beast when you buy a popular title. The home buyers went all in for Tron and Stern and parts suppliers have noticed.

-phish

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

StevenP said:Huh. So my sense that Tron felt like a cheap plastic-y game wasn't just my imagination! Stern quality has been plummeting in the past couple of years.
    Spidey had the exact same problem. Are you new here?
    Even at the weird angle, that first pic shows it was going to happen sooner or later. The post doesn't stick out enough to prevent the ball from hitting the side of the ramp. Is that an LE, or does the LE have more ramp protectors? They were added for BSM. You had to order thru Stern though.
    5k plays is a lot for that new of a game. If that game was on location, you'd be happy if that was the only damage. Sucks that the replacement ramps are expensive, but that's the nature of the beast when you buy a popular title. The home buyers went all in for Tron and Stern and parts suppliers have noticed.
    -phish

New to Pinside? Relatively. New to pinball? Well, been playing for less than half a century so yeah, I guess I am. :shrug:

Seriously, the OP said he had trashed ramps in 8 months, didn't mention 5000 plays. Still, this looks like an obvious place to include ramp entrance protectors--they used to be pretty standard with many plastic ramps. And there's no reason to charge huge $$$ for plastic ramps in a recent game, except for pure greed. They don't cost that much to make and the molds are current, as well as there being lots of new stock.

And I don't know any of the local SMs on location that have had smashed ramps--maybe the ops all installed protectors?

#7 12 years ago

Even when the Williams tables were new, the ramps would crack all the time.

Nothing new here.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Even when the Williams tables were new, the ramps would crack all the time

agreed, but they had protectors offered. my DH and DM have them on all sides of all ramps...not aftermarket. still just bummed that stern didn't even offer them, that's my whole discussion. how can you offer a 300$ ramp, without protection? thats like having sex with a prostitute on E Colfax in denver without strapping up..lmao you're losing money, and going to be hurting in the long run.

i'd also like to mention the difference in plastics between early 90's williams and newer stern models. the plastic is at least 33% thicker on the williams ramps than the sterns. even if it's a 'flexible' plastic, thinner is worse in most cases when dealing with plastics.

plastics in EVERYTHING these days is thinner and less durable. we have a 2006 chevy work truck, that has had broken 4 inner door handles (plastic snapped), whereas the 2000 chevy (with more miles) hasn't broken 1 door handle. coincidence? nope, the manufactures are cutting costs to make more products, and more profit. just like when WWII, when we stopped producing everything as metal or cast iron due to high demand for military productions. i'm no history buff, but i do know when the tides are turning.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

The post doesn't stick out enough to prevent the ball from hitting the side of the ramp.

i've noticed this as well. poor engineering? tighten the shots up, or at least provide the protectors. i'm just sad i'll never be getting another NIB again in my life after this experience.

#10 12 years ago

Games like Funhouse, BoP etc have ramp entrances that look just like this with no protection from the factory, then Williams got smart and started including them. You'd think there would be a lessons learned file somewhere. In the meantime, paging Mr Cliffy!

#11 12 years ago

I worry about this everytime the ball bounces around in a missed ramp shot on our game, Cliffy does need to make a protector soon.

Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

i'm just sad i'll never be getting another NIB again in my life after this experience.

Don't know what to tell you man.. this has been happening ever since pinball ramps have been in existence, as others have said. Get over it?

#12 12 years ago

ya, i'm done crying

Quoted from RawleyD:this has been happening ever since pinball ramps have been in existence, as others have said. Get over it?

i apoligize for acting like a 10 year old girl. i'm just happy to own a fast playing stern tron.

#13 12 years ago

Yea I agree this is a problem that has existed for decades with ramps. That said, some innovation from today's pinball manufactures to protect the ramps in the future would really be nice.

#14 12 years ago

CLIFFY, WHERE ARE YOU MAN????

I'm already on the case. I had to wait for a local buddy to let me borrow his game to work off of. It should arrive in my shop this weekend... if the rain stops a bit

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I'm already on the case. I had to wait for a local buddy to let me borrow his game to work off of. It should arrive in my shop this weekend... if the rain stops a bit

Got to love Cliffy always quick to help the pinball community out with his protectors!! To the rescue yet again.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Cliffy said:I'm already on the case. I had to wait for a local buddy to let me borrow his game to work off of. It should arrive in my shop this weekend... if the rain stops a bit
    Got to love Cliffy always quick to help the pinball community out with his protectors!! To the rescue yet again.

Yay! Really sad that Stern refuses to provide common protectors for their cheap plastic ramps. (Does AC/DC also have this problem?) Or maybe it's part of their plan, along with charging big bucks for replacements.

#17 12 years ago

Cliffy,

The rain is killing me too. Heck I didn't know you needed one for measuring. I was gone all last weeked, would have just tossed you the keys my garage I can only hope the rain here translates (transmorgifies?) into some good Lake Tahoe snow. Put me down for some Tron protection as well.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

I'm already on the case

ya i know you've been waiting for a machine. im' just waiting for your protectors so i can install my new ramp . thanks for all your time!

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Really sad that Stern refuses to provide common protectors for their cheap plastic ramps. (Does AC/DC also have this problem?) Or maybe it's part of their plan, along with charging big bucks for replacements.

Trust me, they know exactly what they are doing ...

#20 12 years ago

RBION came with protectors for the plastic ramps.

#21 12 years ago

Put me down for one Cliff!

#22 12 years ago

thats like having sex with a prostitute on E Colfax in denver

That would be e colfax and chambers!

#23 12 years ago

My SM has protectors on all but one side of one of the ramps. I got the Cliffy for that one missing protector.

Hopefully the competition from JJP will force Stern to take care of these little annoying details for future games.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Put me down for one Cliff!

Me too!

Godspeed dear Cliffy!

#25 12 years ago

Maybe Cliffy is involved with the lack of ramp protectors from Stern??? Cliffy, are you paying stern to keep you busy?

#26 12 years ago

Cliffy, I'd take a set as well!

#27 12 years ago

i think that's 500$ right there waiting for you cliff good luck, and i'll drink a beer for you on saint patty's day.

#28 12 years ago

My buddy just dropped of his Tron LE (the one he won at PPE last year) 10 minutes ago. I can't promise anything other than I'll be putting my best effort into this. Hang tight gentlemen and, indeed, hoist a few and wish me luck tomorrow. Do nah forrget the wearrin o' the grreen!

#29 12 years ago

Cliffy I have a set of pro ramps not being used if you need them. I actually bought the LE ramps and put them in my pro to make hanging the EL wire easier. I call it the "Lazy and not wanting to drill my fingers open method"

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

I have a set of pro ramps not being used if you need them

Very generous of you but lets see how I make out with this LE first. Stay tuned and thanks!

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Hang tight gentlemen and, indeed, hoist a few and wish me luck tomorrow.

no worries. thanks for your time. i'll be placing an order for the 3 protectors needed when you get everything situated.

#32 12 years ago

I had some spare stock protectors from a STTNG and used automotive double sided tape to stick them on. Note these are "temporary" til we get some fitted ones from Cliff.

Also Cliff's slot protectors work real nice too.

ramp1.jpgramp1.jpg ramp2.jpgramp2.jpg slot1.jpgslot1.jpg slot2.jpgslot2.jpg

#33 12 years ago

As soon as the cliffys are ready, I'll be ordering.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-ramps-whats-wrong-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.