Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Av8
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is the first time I've had a trough issue with a Stern. Tron Pro will occasionally kick out 2 balls. And sometimes end before the ball is in the trough. Very annoying. The problem is intermittent but getting worse.

The ball trough has 3 roll over switches and a opto board. Anyone else have this problem?

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

This is the first time I've had a trough issue with a Stern. Tron Pro will occasionally kick out 2 balls. And sometimes end before the ball is in the trough. Very annoying. The problem is intermittent but getting worse.
The ball trough has 3 roll over switches and a opto board. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm going to go with no on "anyone else have this problem". It's going to be a switch issue. I'd start with the left most roll-over switch. If it is getting intermittently triggered when no ball is there, I think all these issues could appear.

#3 9 years ago

This happens very frequently on many sterns. Especially if they get played a bit.

The most likely culprit is one of those trough opto boards. The game's confused as to how many balls are actually in there. The basics first... Go into diagnostics and see if any of the optos or roll overs fail to recognize any of the four balls, or if any stay closed when you empty it. Then try unplugging the opto boards, and reconnecting them. Sometime the connector get heavy vibration, and doesn't make proper contact with the male header pins.

-jon

#4 9 years ago

Have had both of these issues (2 balls in trough and premature bonus count) - problems were solved by removing the opto boards and reflowing the solder on them.

#5 9 years ago

I had the flippers stopping during play. It was intermittent and I couldn't reproduce the issue to isolate the problem(Tron LE and IM). New trough opto boards fixed the problem.

#6 9 years ago

A tron trough issue started the other day. Easy fix, it happens.

#7 9 years ago

super easy, just replace both the opto boards in the ball trough. should be 12$.

#8 9 years ago

Common problem. The opto board is the issue. On mine, I noticed the pin connector just a hair loose on the board. Reseeded it and problem solved. I notice it happen more to my sterns that have had shaker motors vs the ones without. Possible after a few hundred plays of the machine shaking like mad that that pin connector gets just loose enough to cause trough issues.

#9 9 years ago

Just had this issue crop up on FGY, btw.

Todd

#10 9 years ago

I did add a shaker. Stern is sending me new opto boards just incase. Chaz in tech support is excellent.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside