(Topic ID: 79357)

Tron Pro with Tron LE code, is it possible?

By 85vett

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by brettbutler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tron-daftpunk-multiball.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Let me ask a potential dumb question. While playing around with some Tron's I got to wondering if a Tron Pro would play the LE code with some minor changes. I'm assuming they have the same boards (minus the ramp lights). The ramp lights and recognizer movement aren't integral so I wouldn't think it would prevent things from running correctly. The only thing specific to an LE that I was thinking would be a show stopper would be the drop targets. Here was my thought, could someone add the drop target mech and associated wiring to a pro and then run the LE code in order to get the ability to play Daft Punk?

I'm sure I'm WAY over simplifying the process but it was something I started to think about when playing a Pro a couple days ago.

#2 5 years ago

I believe Stern made changes so this couldn't be done.

Might lock the board and then you need to send it to them.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

If the mechs, lights and targets that the LE code drives aren't there what would the LE code add?

#4 5 years ago

Daft punk mutiball

#5 5 years ago

I doubt it would work at all. The LE has a totally different driver for the inserts. The pro uses older style lamp matrix sends and returns from the lower left corner of the I/O board. LE has the xilinx LED ic.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I doubt it would work at all. The LE has a totally different driver for the inserts. The pro uses older style lamp matrix sends and returns from the lower left corner of the I/O board. LE has the xilinx LED ic.

That I had no clue about. That would be a problem for sure.

#7 5 years ago

us pro owners can only hope pinball browser matures to be able to find the code for the daft punk multiball and insert it into the pro code.
other than LED control, the drop logic is different than the stand up logic. Also the recognizer logic is slightly different.

So instead of looking to get LE code to run on a pro, it would be better to try and rip the multiball logic from LE code and find a way to insert it into the pro code. probably more work than it would be worth, but I've never played daft punk MB so I don't really know what I'm missing.

#8 5 years ago

daft punk MB TOTALLY changes the game. It is the most AMAZING mode of any pinball ever. It is absolutely unbelievable. The music, the light show... words just don't do it justice...

well, ummm... actually, it's no big deal

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

probably more work than it would be worth, but I've never played daft punk MB so I don't really know what I'm missing.

For sure it's worth it to try and get DAFT into the pro code! It's a great mode, I hope this happens someday as I can't see ever selling this game....

#10 5 years ago

As an LE owner, I can say that daft punk mb is not that important. It rarely comes up and when it does it doesn't last long. Adding Eli's ramp mod is the most important change. Once that's done, I'd say the pro is close enough. I actually value the small amount of extra callouts on the LE more than the end of line mb.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As an LE owner, I can say that daft punk mb is not that important. It rarely comes up and when it does it doesn't last long. Adding Eli's ramp mod is the most important change. Once that's done, I'd say the pro is close enough. I actually value the small amount of extra callouts on the LE more than the end of line mb.

Yup. totally agree.

#12 5 years ago

Agreed, it's actually more satisfying getting DPMB than playing it.

1 month later
#13 5 years ago

I just came across a visual pinball recreation of a Tron LE. So it seems vpinmame can now emulate LE code. So those guys would know which hardware the LE code checks at bootup (and can bypass it, since it runs). Hopefully someone someday can get the LE code running on the pro..

1 week later
#14 5 years ago

So dumb question. Just managed to score a pro, and wondered what the specific differences are between pro and LE. I want to mod up with elis litres and tron arcade,light cycles etc.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

I just came across a visual pinball recreation of a TRON LE. So it seems vpinmame can now emulate LE code. So those guys would know which hardware the LE code checks at bootup (and can bypass it, since it runs). Hopefully someone someday can get the LE code running on the pro..

The Pro and LE have a massive amount of lamps and switches changed so that even if you got the code to run, it would not work correctly without rewiring the entire playfield. The pro code works in vpinmame and the LE code works in vpinmame. They are very different in the way the code addresses lamps, callouts, and switches. Not impossible to accomplish this, but much more difficult than you suggested above.

2 weeks later
#16 5 years ago
Quoted from lyzanxia:

I just came across a visual pinball recreation of a TRON LE. So it seems vpinmame can now emulate LE code. So those guys would know which hardware the LE code checks at bootup (and can bypass it, since it runs). Hopefully someone someday can get the LE code running on the pro..

That's actually my table

My only thought would be to see if you could run the game off a PROC. That is how BOP 2.0 is being run. It basically controls all the lamps and switches using a computer in the game.

After making this post I learned it was more complicated than originally thought.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Agreed, it's actually more satisfying getting DPMB than playing it.

DPMP can actually be very satisfying, but you really have to swap out the music with Pinball Browser to something that gets the blood pumping; otherwise it's just a DMD animation, really.

That being said, it is cool seeing the DAFT and PUNK letters getting lit as you go, feels like progress.

My $0.02.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

daft punk MB TOTALLY changes the game. It is the most AMAZING mode of any pinball ever. It is absolutely unbelievable. The music, the light show... words just don't do it justice...
well, ummm... actually, it's no big deal

The moving recognizer is.....and its only in the LE

#19 5 years ago

just try it...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That's actually my table

Love it by the way

#21 5 years ago

tron-daftpunk-multiball.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Sale Pending!
Sinking Spring, PA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside