Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_Side_off.jpg
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
troncab.jpg
tron.jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 12 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

think museum gel would do a good job holding the wire onto the ramps.

Link... suggestions? Thanks!

#52 12 years ago

You guys could use my ModPS in order to tie it into the GI. I'll be making a 9v dc interface cable that will just bring the 12v from the game down to 9v.

Tonight I'm doing some final design work to see if I can get it working with Insert lights (and possibly game switches). But at a minimum, it's current capabilities will work perfectly for tying this mod to GI as well as protecting things by having it fused.

I plan on shipping very soon.

It's on the cover page of www.dkpinball.com.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mike
DK Custom Pinball
www.dkpinball.com

#53 12 years ago
Quoted from dkpinball:

You guys could use my ModPS in order to tie it into the GI. I'll be making a 9v dc interface cable that will just bring the 12v from the game down to 9v.

Some interesting info thanks for posting this info for us!

#54 12 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

markmon said:I added EL wire to my Tron Pro ramps. While it's not the CPU controlled color changing fiber wire used in the LE version, it is still really cool. Everyone that sees my tron comments on how awesome the ramps look.
I remember someone posting that they did the same thing a while back on RGP, but they said the EL wire caused interference with the optos on the spinning disc area. Does yours have this issue?

It was me that did this a while back with the interference results. After a week of being unable to play, pulled it all out and it's just sitting on the floor now. I'm most likely going to order this driver and wire combination and see what happens. If it works, then I'll have to see if it's the wire or transformer that caused my problems.

#55 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Link... suggestions? Thanks!

I would go with a glue gun. Easy to add, easy to remove, dries clear.

1 week later
#56 12 years ago

Yeah I thought it looked great.
Better in person.

Markmon did you show them your tron arcade mod also?

Very well moded pro. I would never buy an LE after seeing his with mods.

I am sure I said this before but very nice job.

Thanks again for sharing

#57 12 years ago

So after googling for about an hour or so all things point to RF interference. I'd suggest trying to shield your driver with tin foil or running it outside of the game first to see if you get any better results (before spending more money)

I want a Tron Pro someday so I'm looking forward to the results

Good luck!

#58 12 years ago

Foil Does not work. I believe it is the noise sent through the wire. I will know more when I try other drivers.

2 months later
#59 11 years ago

I powder coated my tron finally. I think it came out good. I like it way better than the chrome on the LE:

IMG_1176.JPGIMG_1176.JPG IMG_1175.JPGIMG_1175.JPG

#60 11 years ago

Hey markmon - I notice you install your PBL cup holders on the opposite sides so that they are in the front of the machine instead of the side; do you find they get in the way at all during play?

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from chriskd:

Hey markmon - I notice you install your PBL cup holders on the opposite sides so that they are in the front of the machine instead of the side; do you find they get in the way at all during play?

No not at all. I do it so I can get between the machines to the backbox easier.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

makes me smile and think of my time @ Burning Man 2010 :^)

Really? I will have to eat a Dolphin and play and see if it takes me back as well

Holy cow that BLUE. Awesome!!!

2 weeks later
#63 11 years ago
Quoted from ckorth:

I just ordered from the same place Mark did and decided to try the sound recognizer with 30 feet of blue EL Wire (You can turn off the recognizer so it just stays a constant color if you want). Thought it might be interesting to see how it would pulse to the music as the recognizer will be down near the sub - hoping it makes it look somewhat integrated to the game - not like the LE but maybe close. I also bought the clear double sided tape they sell - not sure it will work well - if not I am going to do what Mark did and use clear tape. They also said you can cut the EL Wire and you just need to use silicone or hot clue to seal the end so I figured better buy enough and then trim it back under the playfield. Thanks again to Mark for the inspiration to give this a shot - looks great on his game. Mine will come with the 2.3mm wire as standard - wondering if I could get it larger at 3mm or even 5mm but not sure if that size works with the sound recognizer - forgot to ask them about a larger size and compatibility - they were very helpful on the phone.

Any update on this ckorth ??

1 week later
#64 11 years ago

I modded my Tron pro ramps with Kimballs EL wire with the sound controller. It is a great look and the sound control works great. I used clear scotch tape to attach the wire to the ramps - I saw the other suggestions of museum putty, hot glue, glue spots - I tried the u-glu dashes and glue dots from hobby lobby - but both failed or looked bad. Clear scotch tape is nearly invisible against the ramp sides and holds best. The great thing is that tape wraps around the wire outside, and the ramp sides aren't totally clear and hide the tape well.

I also added Kimballs lit recognizer, and a four way splitter for the 12v.

The 12v splitter allows the two kimball bods, a Laseriffic topper, and room for either a flynn sign or whatever?

I have the pinhacks replacement cab and video screen - which is an incredible upgrade.
I added the sticker for the 3 bank, and changed out the light cycles.

pics are at http://s1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii630/dgarrett0/tron%20pro%20mod%20-%20kimball%20EL%20wire%20install%20steps/

Dan

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I modded my Tron pro ramps with Kimballs EL wire with the sound controller. It is a great look and the sound control works great.

Iv only heard passing comments about his mod. Its not on his site. Would you care to do an in-depth review and let those of us who are waiting to see what the best ramp wire mod is know whats up?

#66 11 years ago

Ok - I've had a few requests here and on RGP for a more detailed review on Kimballs EL wire. Kim's put a sound reaction controller to pulse the wire light to frequency and volume of sound (i.e. reacts to the music and ball strikes) - the execution is well done on the wiring and easy to install. Kim did a good, neat job with the connectors that tie into the end of the EL wire. The blue and yellow EL connectors come together and end in one 12v connector that can go to the factory 12v plug near the front right of the cab. I opted for Kim's extra splitters for $8 a connector - I got one with 4x 12v plugs that come into a single connector to the 12v accessory plug (for me I've got 12v mods that include a laseriffic topper, Kim's recognizer and Kim's EL wire + a spare 12v for a FLynn side or ??). I also have the pinhacks tronarcade mod, but that goes to the accessory wire in the left backbox.

The install of the EL wire to the ramps was a breeze. I used the factory drilled holes through the PF at the side of each ramp, using the inside hole first, and just routed the wire up and followed around the ramp, with the end of the wire coming back through the outside hole. The blue wire started and ended on the left side, Yellow on the right. You could widen the holes to accomodate removing the ramps with the EL wire attached, as the connectors need just a bit bigger hole - I opted to just use the existing diameter holes knowing I'll have to remove the EL wire to remove ramps in the future.

I used clear scotch tape, pressing the wire against the underside lip of the ramp and surrounding with a strip that centered on the wire, and smoothed down the side of the ramp, and under the lip.
Zip ties would work ok, if you swapped out pro ramps for drilled LE ramps. Keeping the pro ramps was the way to go for me - I tried glue-dots, u-glu dashes, hot glue, "invisible" scotch tape - all were poor adhesive and looked messy. Clear scotch tape is the best, and nearly invisible on the ramp sides (which aren't really clear and smooth, which helps hide the tape even more).

The pics at the photobucket link a few posts back in this thread, show the goo stuff v. opaque tape v. clear tape. I went back and removed all glue dots after these pics, using goo gone or oops as needed, and went with clear tape everywhere and it looks great.

Kim doesn't have this on his site, because Chris and I were one or two of the first to try it - and we've experimented with length of wire and how to attach it, and have just posted some pics. Kim is working on instructions and how to package the kits - which is why its not on his site yet.

Hope this helps those looking for the "right" light wire mod. I looked at RGP and pinside, checked out some of the controlled light options, etc. and went with Kims because its a better look and reacts better with the game when its sound activated. The controllers also have a sensitivity setting, so you can have them "hear" louder or pulse quicker, which lets you have the ramp wire react to your gameplay tastes. Great to have the pulse timed to the beat and reacting to the ball banging around.

Dan G

#67 11 years ago

Any chance of a video of it in action?

#68 11 years ago

Kim just built me one of these as well. I was placing a large order with him and practically begged him to make me one. I did purchase a set of LE ramps to make things a bit easier and more "authentic" if that's possible. I'll be installing it next week. Can't wait to see it in action.
I'm pretty sure he's preparing to package this set for sale on his site soon.

Quoted from markmon:

Any chance of a video of it in action?

This is where I first saw it:

#69 11 years ago

Actually looks awesome! I had been set on waiting for the PIG controlled LED wire mod that another pinsider was developing, but this has me second guessing that. It seems easy to set up. I think it will come down to price in the end.

#70 11 years ago

I am not sure what the price is for the kit that Kim is selling, but I am pretty sure the LED kit that ecurtz is working on will cost more.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I had been set on waiting for the PIG controlled LED wire mod that another pinsider was developing, but this has me second guessing that.

I'm still getting the PIG regardless. Its ability to control other mods is still very cool. I'm going to hook up my lightcycles to it so they trigger in sequence with the ramp switches instead of being on all the time and burning out. Also the Flynn sign and Kim's recognizer will both benefit from being more interactive with the PIG.
In the end, I'm trying several EL wire mods. First, coaster guy's version, but with individual hook-ups to the PIG, Kim's sound activated mod mentioned above, and eventually I might try the true fiber optic version that ecurtz is working on with programming.
I figure I'll just sell the two I don't stick with, but all will look awesome.

Quoted from asnatlas:

I am not sure what the price is for the kit that Kim is selling, but I am pretty sure the LED kit that ecurtz is working on will cost more.

No doubt. Kim's kit was fairly reasonable, although he probably gave me a break as it was a bit of a prototype/early unit and I had already bought a bunch of other stuff. If I had to guess, I would imagine the fiber optic version is going to be double... but still much cheaper than a Tron LE!

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

Im pretty sure too. But if Kim's version is several hundred dollars difference, it give me pause.

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

But if Kim's version is several hundred dollars difference, it give me pause.

Nobody knows what Eli's final fiber optic mod is going to cost so it's hard to comment. What I really like about Kim' mod is how it's a constant orange/yellow and blue color scheme, but still seems integrated.
Eli's will be much closer to the LE, but who knows how the color changing will work. The good news is that he will likely be able to program whatever colors he wants to coincide with several modes. So, if he doesn't want pink, he simply wont use it. In this repsect, it could be even better than the LE lighting. He could have orange and blue for lightcyle mb and standard gameplay, red for disc mb, green for quorra mb, white for Gem/Zuse and so on. The LE does not do this to my knowledge.

1 week later
#74 11 years ago

Is there a website for Eli's Final Fibert optic Mod? Also when is it suppose to be available?

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Is there a website for Eli's Final Fibert optic Mod? Also when is it suppose to be available?

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wthack-tron-pro-near-98501

#76 11 years ago

I used the pblife Orange kit. My son said half should be blue. I'm not sure if I like the blue or orange powder coat better. Might lean a hair towards the blue.

Tron_Side_off.jpgTron_Side_off.jpg

3 months later
#77 11 years ago

I am looking to have the el wire that i am putting into the machine, along with the light cycles to start glowing only after the start switch is pressed. There are a lot of reasons for this and if you arent intending to use a PIG, and just want these lights on all the time, my idea may be a solution for a lot of reasons.

#1, the EL wire has a life span, and for those of you who have it set to be on constant and have your machine on for a portion of the day, the el wire will begin to loose its luminocity unlike the fiber kits which will be out soon.
#2 the light cycles also will have a light span, as these bikes were sold as ornaments with a momentary, and could eventually burn out if left on, especially with the extra .5 volts to the board.

SO here is my idea, and if someone could think of a trigger point, will work

I want to set up a relay for each mod. The el wire inverter will be on one, and the light cycle power feed on another. We interrup the positive feed to the inverter with the relay, and the same on another relay for the 5v to the bikes. Now we just need a trigger to enable these relay circuits.

I want them to enable when a game is started and disable when a game is finished. In this logic you can enjoy the light show, but not have the el wire constantly glowing when it isnt being used. Now we know of a few items which receive power when the start button is pressed. We get music, and we get the high voltage circuit enabled that feeds coils.

Real question from someone who knows pins, is where is a safe circuit to use to trigger these relays!! I was thinking maybe just using a high voltage relay that can handle the coil voltage as a trigger. My other idea was looking for 12v, or 5v which only is on when the game is in play. Are there any power points in this game, features, etc preferably DC that i can use. Any ideas? I really want to see this work and i think it might be something others with 12v knowledge who arent looking to uses a PIG may want to implement. The only thing holding this idea from working is a safe circuit to tap off of to trigger my relays. Will AC voltage even work to trigger them?

Thanks, and i hope for some insight. Sorry for the long post, but you can tell i really want to see this work!

#78 11 years ago

Hello. Im getting the ghost scoring with the el wire plugged into the service outlet. If i power the wire using a 12v battery i do not get any interference. Please help!!

6 months later
#79 10 years ago

Just wondering if anyone was able to power this using the GI

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-with-el-wire/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.