Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tron_Side_off.jpg
IMG_1175.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_0629.JPG
troncab.jpg
tron.jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

I added EL wire to my Tron Pro ramps. While it's not the CPU controlled color changing fiber wire used in the LE version, it is still really cool. Everyone that sees my tron comments on how awesome the ramps look.

The cost is around $100. I got it here:
http://www.elbestbuy.com/meleofretogo.html

I ordered the EL wire unit + $20 power supply + 30 feet of wire. The wire is 2.6mm so it's very thin. It is also a bit brighter than the LE's fiber, so that's pretty neat. I went with blue, which matches very well the theme of the machine.

For installation, I ran a single run. There are already playfield holes drilled for the LE's fiber wire. I came up, around the first ramp, down back into the playfield up and around the second ramp. It's a single run. The 30 feet of wire was too much. But I'm not sure if 20 feet would have been enough. The excess wire is just in the cabinet. To attach the wire, I experimented with shoe goo (disaster), was pondering drilling holes in the ramps just like in the LE and using tie straps, but I ended up just using scotch tape, which is almost completely invisible, easy to remove, and holding the wire very well. In fact, it looks better than the tie straps Stern used on the LE because you can see those. For power, I just plugged the unit into the service port in the machine. I have an arcade switch that turns all my machines on and off but cutting power to them so using the access port was no big deal for me. But for normal folks, you'll want to arrange something else because the access port stays powered after the machine is turned off. Perhaps the best bet would be to use a smart power strip, plug the pinball into the main port, and the EL plug into a slave port. Then the power strip would power off the EL wire when the machine stopped pulling juice. Alternatively, one could use some resistors to reduce the 12v line to 9v current and power the EL wire using the machine's 12v.

Here is a picture of the finished machine with the wire.
tron.jpgtron.jpg

Here is a picture showing inside the coin door where the excess wire is run.
troncab.jpgtroncab.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Well done! Looks factory!

#3 12 years ago

Awesome! Nice work for a reasonable amount too.
Someone's got to figure out how to make a color changing mod... but that would probably require messing with the software too.

#4 12 years ago

That's neato mosquito!

#6 12 years ago

Nice work. Thanks for sharing!

#7 12 years ago

nice job.

#9 12 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pics.

#10 12 years ago

nice mod. looks great

#11 12 years ago

As a Tron LE owner you have some nerve making your pin look dope. Nice job. Thanks for the pics.

#12 12 years ago

Great job. Great suggestion on the power strip.

#13 12 years ago

Looks great! Anyone know the largest diameter wire that will fit through the holes in the playfield? Was thinking about getting one and doing something similar. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Colormax2000.htm

#14 12 years ago

gameplay video would be cool......nice work

#15 12 years ago

I like your style man...Looks great...the Lit ramps would be what makes me want the LE...think of the money you saved using your noodle. Well done

#16 12 years ago

I have agonized over whether to buy a Tron and do the exact same thing after playing one at Disney last year. Looks great!!

#17 12 years ago

They have sound responsive units as well. I'm trying to think of how it could be incorporated but not dominate the whole experience.

http://www.elbestbuy.com/elwire4.html

#18 12 years ago

Very nice work

#19 12 years ago

makes me smile and think of my time @ Burning Man 2010 :^)

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from Wickedquickss:

I like your style man...Looks great...the Lit ramps would be what makes me want the LE...think of the money you saved using your noodle. Well done

While he has done a great job on the EL wire, he still doesn't have the six different colors or the programming for the display that goes with the different modes. So, even though it is a great upgrade for a Pro, it's nowhere near the same as an LE.

But still very cool

#22 12 years ago

Looks great!!

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Looks great! Anyone know the largest diameter wire that will fit through the holes in the playfield? Was thinking about getting one and doing something similar. http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Colormax2000.htm

I tried using that side glow stuff. It was so dim that the lights around the inside of the pinball machine made it hard to see the wire was even lit. It was nothing like the EL wire.

While he has done a great job on the EL wire, he still doesn't have the six different colors or the programming for the display that goes with the different modes. So, even though it is a great upgrade for a Pro, it's nowhere near the same as an LE.

That's right. This does not turn your Tron Pro into a Tron LE. The LE has software controlled color changing fiber cable that changes based on events in the game. It's definitely neater. But I think this is the best you'll get if you already have a pro.

Nice work. Can you post sources for the parts? Thx!

Didn't you see the web URL in my original post?

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from PwninShiznat:

I don't know for the price difference... Save a couple thousand given the LE's skyrocketing price and still have ramps lite up nice pretty tempting to go that route. The LE would still be at a different level and be a bit funner than the pro for sure but a couple of thousand funner I doubt it. Really cool mod thanks for posting markmon!!

#25 12 years ago

I like the solid blue better than the color change. Is there a way to tie it into the GI? So it would come on and off with the game actions that cycle the GI?

#26 12 years ago

This looks great! Better than the LE in my opinion.. some of the colours on the LE don't match the theme -- there's no purple in Tron!!

My only thought would've been to do one ramp in orange, one in blue but obviously that would cost more.

Anyway.. great mod

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

This looks great! Better than the LE in my opinion.. some of the colours on the LE don't match the theme -- there's no purple in Tron!!
My only thought would've been to do one ramp in orange, one in blue but obviously that would cost more.
Anyway.. great mod

That would be cool. I'm partial to the ice-blue look, but that's definitely worth considering. Agreed on the other colors. Yeah - color changing, music-sync'd lights are cool, but it's way off theme.

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I've never seen purple in the LE and I own one...

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I've never seen purple in the LE and I own one...

My mistake ... green then.

#30 12 years ago

Looks great! Tron is a great table, and the only thing that pissed me off about it was the lack of the EL wire on the ramps in the pro model. The game needs it period. Great mod right here, I would definitely consider buying a routed Tron pro and adding the EL wire mod to it later in a few years. The LE is just gonna be untouchable in a few months.

#31 12 years ago

Scotch tape? Really? I can't believe that Scotch tape will hold the EL wire to the ramp for very long. Can you explain in more detail exactly how you used the Scotch tape?

The pic looks great. It doesn't look that thin in the picture. Can you post some close up pics of the ramps/wire?

Great work.

#32 12 years ago

Nice way to save a couple grand. Good job!

#33 12 years ago

This really looks great. I don't have a Tron but I do think this could add to the look of a lot of machines. I think for the price I may have to try it on my WW.

#34 12 years ago

Anyone get a more accurate length needed to wire both ramps? I was thinking 25 feet. If you look at the ramps they're probably close to 6 feet linear each, times 2 each with a little slack for mounting underneath...

Brian

#35 12 years ago

Brian,

I just ordered from the same place Mark did and decided to try the sound recognizer with 30 feet of blue EL Wire (You can turn off the recognizer so it just stays a constant color if you want). Thought it might be interesting to see how it would pulse to the music as the recognizer will be down near the sub - hoping it makes it look somewhat integrated to the game - not like the LE but maybe close. I also bought the clear double sided tape they sell - not sure it will work well - if not I am going to do what Mark did and use clear tape. They also said you can cut the EL Wire and you just need to use silicone or hot clue to seal the end so I figured better buy enough and then trim it back under the playfield. Thanks again to Mark for the inspiration to give this a shot - looks great on his game. Mine will come with the 2.3mm wire as standard - wondering if I could get it larger at 3mm or even 5mm but not sure if that size works with the sound recognizer - forgot to ask them about a larger size and compatibility - they were very helpful on the phone.

#36 12 years ago

What do we need to just hardwire the EL wire into the game? Looks like this can get much cheaper if we don't have to buy a 9v power supply, etc..

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from ckorth:

I just ordered from the same place Mark did and decided to try the sound recognizer with 30 feet of blue EL Wire (You can turn off the recognizer so it just stays a constant color if you want). Thought it might be interesting to see how it would pulse to the music as the recognizer will be down near the sub - hoping it makes it look somewhat integrated to the game

That sounds like a pretty interesting idea ckorth let us know how it turns out for you.

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I added EL wire to my Tron Pro ramps. While it's not the CPU controlled color changing fiber wire used in the LE version, it is still really cool. Everyone that sees my tron comments on how awesome the ramps look.

I remember someone posting that they did the same thing a while back on RGP, but they said the EL wire caused interference with the optos on the spinning disc area. Does yours have this issue?

#39 12 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

markmon said:I added EL wire to my Tron Pro ramps. While it's not the CPU controlled color changing fiber wire used in the LE version, it is still really cool. Everyone that sees my tron comments on how awesome the ramps look.
I remember someone posting that they did the same thing a while back on RGP, but they said the EL wire caused interference with the optos on the spinning disc area. Does yours have this issue?

That would be a big problem!

#40 12 years ago

Its a great mod hopefully down the road we will see some more of this

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

markmon said:I added EL wire to my Tron Pro ramps. While it's not the CPU controlled color changing fiber wire used in the LE version, it is still really cool. Everyone that sees my tron comments on how awesome the ramps look.

Of course not. That would ruin the whole game by making it unplayable. I wouldn't post anything here if it had such a ridiculous side effect. I have no negative symptoms by adding this.

#42 12 years ago

Looks cool, and blue is the color to go with if it's monochrome. I think museum gel would do a good job holding the wire onto the ramps.

#43 12 years ago

That looks awesome! What a great mod. I may do this someday.

#44 12 years ago

My mistake ... green then.

Funny,
The green ramp light show during "Quorra Multi", is one of my favorite things in the game.
It is such a great contrast to the blue.

IMG_0629.JPGIMG_0629.JPG

#45 12 years ago

What all colors does the LE change to?

#46 12 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

What all colors does the LE change to?

Eight different colors--all tied to the inserts.

#47 12 years ago

I've got to get my Tron LE back.

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've got to get my Tron LE back.

I am bummed I let go of the LE I had on layaway. Still bummed I sold the first one I had. My bad twice!!!! Today I brought home a pro. I just ordered EL wire and inverter. Gonna go blue and yellow. When I am done it will be my own LE. I will have also saved major $$$$$. Deep down I know it's not the same though. I'm good with it for now. yah for now.....
Glowhut.com
Mark will answer questions. Super nice guy.

#49 12 years ago

You can play mine if you get the urge coast.

#50 12 years ago

I really have to always RETHINK before I sell from this point on.... I swear.....! At least the pro plays mostly the same. I had a blast with it tonight.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-with-el-wire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.