(Topic ID: 35918)

TRON pro--who sells protectors? Hole isn't protected AT ALL!!

By pinlawyer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Buckman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tron_cliffy.JPG
#1 11 years ago

BAA doesn't sell them. Any idea who does? TIA

#3 11 years ago

I would recommend Cliffy's, it covers the wood much better I think.

#4 11 years ago

Allegedly the Cliffy interferes with gameplay. However, I love mine

#5 11 years ago

I don't even shoot for the Flynn skill shot anymore. I now full plug with left flipper held and hit the ramp skill shot. The Cliffy does protect the hole so I am keeping it on but mine gets stuck all the time. I even have time during multiball modes where a ball hangs.

Even after all that, I still like it and will not take it off.

#6 11 years ago

I just put a mantis in mine. Doesn't interfere with gameplay but doesn't protect the beveled lip. Not sure what the lip will look like after hundreds of more plays.

#7 11 years ago

The Cliffy does protect the hole so I am keeping it on but mine gets stuck all the time

I have a scoop area protector Cliffy on both our Xmen and Tron and they are awesome. I've had ball hangups from both of the scoops, but it's something simple to fix. Below is a picture of our Tron scoop protector, it went on before the 1st game was played and we've now got 1,200 games on the machine. After a few hundred plays I started to get the ball hangups. The problem is the back lip bending up a bit (where the notch is) and the ball hits it. To fix this all you need to do is take the Cliffy out, get a pair of pliers and a cloth. All you need to do is bend that notch part back down so that it's level with the playfield again. You don't want to put the pliers right on the Cliffy, so use the cloth in between the pliers and the Cliffy (this way you won't scratch it). I've played about 600 games since I last did this and I'm just starting to get the hangups again. It only takes about 10 minutes to take it out, fix and reinstall.

Sure it would be nice if the Cliffy was indestructible and didn't bend at all, but my scoop area still looks like brand new and I'm more than happy to fix it every once in a while if I have to. Once you bend it down it's perfect again and the balls roll right into the scoop.

tron_cliffy.JPGtron_cliffy.JPG

#8 11 years ago

That cliffy is pointless. The most wear will happen where the cliffy is cut as that is where the ball rolls in most of the time.

#9 11 years ago

I disagree. The slow roll through the cutout is not going to do much damage, but a full speed shot from a flipper hitting the inner edge of the wood will.

I had balls hang on mine too, but after cutting a small bit of extra metal from the cutout and bending the protector back into shape, no more problems.

#10 11 years ago

But WHO sells them? Cant buy from Cliffy's site.

#11 11 years ago

I ordered a full set last week from his site. Great service and fast delivery.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/tron.htm

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

You just email Cliffy.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Yer shittin' me, right Greg? Alzheimer's settin' in?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

but after cutting a small bit of extra metal from the cutout and bending the protector back into shape, no more problems.

And thats what I'm doing on the newest version, ie, cut back a tad more on the upper part of the notch (thanks to suggestions from a few die hard Tronners

#16 11 years ago

I feel like this thread should be dated around 2011 at the latest.

#17 11 years ago

I love our full-cover Cliffy for the scoop. It's taken a real beating there, and holding up strong.
Hangups are so rare , it's not even worth mentioning.

#18 11 years ago

I have a cliffy in my Tron, no hang ups at all so far. I prefer the Cliffy style scoop protectors because I like the added coverage. Definitely put either a Cliffy or a Mantis in as soon as possible though. I got my Tron used, and the scoop hole had already taken quite a beating.

#19 11 years ago

I have a Mantis and I'm happy with it so far.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Yer shittin' me, right Greg? Alzheimer's settin' in?

LOL. Priceless. Just email the Cliffster and he'll get you squared away.

#21 11 years ago

I took mine off, rebent it and now it's working 100%. Thanks for the tip.

#22 11 years ago

I'm trying to understand on a new game with no wear, what's recommended for the slot of XM and Tron ? Cliffy or Mantis?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm trying to understand on a new game with no wear, what's recommended for the slot of XM and Tron ? Cliffy or Mantis?

I actually use BOTH in my Tron LE and it works like a champ

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

It depends on who you ask. I prefer Cliffy's protectors myself, because the edge of the clearcoat is still somewhat exposed with a Mantis protector, especially on scoops where the edge is beveled.

#25 11 years ago

I had only mantis installed for a good 6 months before I started to notice a tiny spot developing that Mantis did not cover so I added the Cliffster as well.

Had to double-bag it. I don't know where that hoe has been :-p

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I had only mantis installed for a good 6 months before I started to notice a tiny spot developing that Mantis did not cover so I added the Cliffster as well.
Had to double-bag it. I don't know where that hoe has been :-p

I had the Cliffy version 2 and was getting hangups. I changed to Mantis and have a teeny spot where the clear on the bevel is kind of more white than clear. I'm gonna order a Cliffy version 3 and double up like you and see how that holds up.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

I took mine off, rebent it and now it's working 100%. Thanks for the tip.

Not a problem at all, good to hear it's fixed! I fixed mine this morning and thought I might as well put in a couple of pictures on a separate thread in case anyone else was searching for the topic at a future date:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-xmen-cliffy-scoop-protector-how-to-fix-it-if-ball-gets-stuck

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-who-sells-protectors-hole-isnt-protected-at-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.