(Topic ID: 29952)

Tron Pro - warm white GI compared to cool white GI with LEDs (a few pictures)

By Buckman

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by hassanchop
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vlcsnap-00003.jpg
vlcsnap-00002.jpg
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
GI_cool.JPG
GI_all_cool.JPG
GI_warm.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Last night I swapped out all of the stock 555 / 44 GI to Cointaker cool white retros and some frosted. Just curious to see what the overall difference in appearance would be (I'm still pretty new to the LED scene in these machines). It's amazing how different the machine looks. I took some pictures, just thought I'd put up a few here for anyone who is planning on getting some LEDs for the GI in their Tron and is curious about what the cool white GI would look like.

The first picture is all the stock bulbs in GI (I have LEDs in the inserts). Only LEDs in the first picture are the blue and orange down by the slings / flippers.

Second picture is all cool white in the GI (used retros in most, six frosted for the bulbs that can be seen and I used 2 LEDs for the six in the backpanel). I also tried cool white 2 LEDs in the GI but they didn't look all that great (too spotty). The 2 LEDs look nice in our Wolverine, but not as good in the Tron.

Third picture is the cool white GI and the blue / orange LEDs in.

GI_warm.JPGGI_warm.JPG GI_all_cool.JPGGI_all_cool.JPG GI_cool.JPGGI_cool.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I like picture #3

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I like picture #3

Forgot to mention but this is also what I liked best.

#4 11 years ago

I like the all cool white. That's what I'll be going with. Did you keep incandescent flashers?

#5 11 years ago

I really like Picture 3 as well. I may have to do this now when I have some extra cash

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Did you keep incandescent flashers?

Yes, I just left the flashers for now. Might change them out at some point but I don't mind the incandescents in the flashers.

#7 11 years ago

I like picture 3. Also incandescents work well in flashers. If you want colored flashers, I recommend the pinball life boxes of 10 colored incandescent flashers for $5.

#8 11 years ago

Pic three looks the most balanced.

If anything, Tron should lean towards a cool lighting scheme since the main color is blue.

#9 11 years ago

Another for pic 3- I stayed with cool white also, the only change I made from CoinTakers kit was I used Orange Premiums under the Clu targets.

#10 11 years ago

Cool white looks really good on Tron.

#11 11 years ago

Yup número 3

#12 11 years ago

Pic 3 for me to great work can't wait to do mine.

#13 11 years ago

Like 3 as well. Thanks for the different views. We will likely do this with ours too.

#14 11 years ago

of course 3 is the best.
i am sticking to my plan, i am just putting cold white on most of the back, then i am putting some oranges, yellows and blues

#15 11 years ago

i have a question.
everybody talks on putting oranges on the left sling/lane. but that is clu on the plastics and clu has yellow color. even the plastic is yellow to me. it is not a 100% yellow, it has a little of red but it is definitely yellow.
his light cycle on top of the ramp is yellow.. his insert lights are all yellow.. etc
so why putting orange? only cuzz it looks better? or something else?

check pics.. clu in the middle on both... definitely yellow

vlcsnap-00001.jpgvlcsnap-00001.jpg vlcsnap-00002.jpgvlcsnap-00002.jpg

#16 11 years ago

Seems to be a lot of variance in what color Clu actually is even within the movie. It's annoying. Yellow leds suck. Would guess that's why most are using orange.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Seems to be a lot of variance in what color Clu actually is even within the movie.

he looks yellow to me through out the whole movie. Rinsler is orange.

Quoted from Frax:

Yellow leds suck.

why??
now you got me thinking, since i am ordering tomorrow

#18 11 years ago

Output on the yellow leds for whatever reason is just extremely poor compared to all other colors. Some people even complain about orange, but I personally haven't noticed it..the orange flex supers I used in STTNG looked great.

Disclaimer: I have color vision issues in one eye. I can't really call it color-blindness, because it's not red/green reversed, but if I close one eye then open the other, then say I'm looking at grass.....then it will look a lot greener if I have one eye open versus the other. So me saying that Clue appears to be a bunch of different shades of orange-yellow might just be my brain trying to interpolate the color differences between my eyes. Never thought about that until now, but you saying he looks yellow to you through the whole movie made me think about it for a sec.

#19 11 years ago

so yellow leds have less light... hmmm.. now i am screwed lol since i was going to buy a few of them

on the light cycle part of the movie, it is confusing cuzz you think you are seeing clu sometimes but it is one of the others that have an orange cycle.
sometimes the environment affects his colors too. as sam flynn, since he has white stripes that sometimes look like blue because all of the movie is on blue sets.
sometimes a bright color is mistaken by another just by being not so bright. for example, a pink object can look purple if the light where it stands is low....

check this clu pic. that is all yellow, you don't see any orange here:

vlcsnap-00003.jpgvlcsnap-00003.jpg

#20 11 years ago

So buy a few and see if you like them. It's only a couple of bucks. I have not tried CT's super or ultra yellows. Maybe they're bright enough to rock the house. I would stay away from the frosted ones...the CT frosted yellow I bought to use instead of the condom bulbs in STTNG was not only horrible light-wise, but it actually fritzed and stopped working to boot. I think I just got a turdy LED on that one..

Just order some warm whites in case you don't like them.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

So buy a few and see if you like them. It's only a couple of bucks.

yep.. you are right. i will do that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-warm-white-gi-compared-to-cool-white-gi-with-leds-a-few-pictures and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.