35%
  • Acdc premium 90 votes
    37%

(241 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_trio.jpg
image.jpg
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Starting modes is one thing, finishing them is quite another. Getting to SOS isn't that hard, but getting to Portal is very hard (on a correctly setup machine). That is part of the tease. Oh, you didn't complete the modes? Just clean them up in SOS and go to the Portal... or crash and burn. It is a brilliant mode. It looks so easy, yet it will crush you over and over again. There is something about draining out of SOS that is more depressing than most games. I always feel like a couple more good shots would have done it, but that is just the lie I tell myself.

Thanks.
I think i have done my choice. I really have hesitated with metallica, gameplay seems very good and artwork is awesome IMO. But as i said, and after having looked some vidéos, i could not stand the soundtrack more than 5 min.

#52 8 years ago

I own the 3 games you are comparing. The 3 are never leaving my small collection. They are all fast flow action pins.

To me ac/dc has a small advantage on met pro who I love a little more than tron pro.

Ac/dc and met have rules way deeper but Tron is just plain simple fun.

If you are into modding tron is the game with the most possible mods you can buy

In the end it really comes to what theme you like more and have that advantage above the others.

If you don't like Metallica music or theme I would go with AC/DC premium.

To be honest here you really can't go wrong with any of the 3. But don't bring art package when you are talking about lastability and fun factor in a pin.

#53 8 years ago

In a way, you have probably right but sincerely art package on acdc is the worst i have ever seen on a stern pinball machine. and i'm not talking about acdc pro...
basically gameplay is the most important for me with the general atmosphere on a pinball machine (sounds, callouts, theme, toys). it's just that Tron seems to be the best compromise for me.
In france, Tron is about 3700-4200€, metallica 4000-4400€, and acdc premium over 6000€.
and yes, i would like to mod it a little with at least the eli ramp mod.

#54 8 years ago

AC/DC premium is one of the greatest games ever made... frankly, I don't find the art package offensive (I actually love the overall feel of the look of the game) and, if anything, I think the art is no worse than the cut and paste job on Tron. Set it up right and keep it playing fast and the game will kick your tail...awesome sound, dots, light show. IMO, the game blows the doors off Tron. MET (again, my opinion) is the weakest of the 3...and if I were interested in MET's layout, I'd skip right over it and go straight to Ironman. If it came down to Ironman or ACDC, I'd pick ACDC...but IM is a VERY close second. IM is one of my all time favorites.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

AC/DC premium is one of the greatest games ever made... frankly, I don't find the art package offensive. Set it up right and keep it playing fast and the game will kick your tail...awesome sound, dots, light show. IMO, the game blows the doors off Tron. MET (again, my opinion) is the weakest of the 3...and if I were interested in MET's layout, I'd skip right over it and go straight to Ironman.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I believe AcDc is the best game Stern has produced as far as total package especially with some mods like lightning bolts. The lower PF is somewhat off to the side, I mean not a part of the game like in the TSPP, but I like playing AcDc Lower PF seems like a game within a game. Maybe the lower PF could use some better rules but as far as gameplay with small flippers it's very elegant.

As far as Met, the art is fantastic, but when playing the game the music is such a drag. I used to like their music, and still can listen to them. But something about listening to the music while playing pinball almost like I want to quit the game just so I don't have to listen to the music. I suppose it's possible to swap out songs but other than that I can't see having Met in my collection. By contrast AcDc with songs like Highway to Hell, Hells Bells, Thunderstruck, TNT, Shoot to Thrill (replacement) as well as other songs and replacements I have, the songs are upbeat while Met just makes me want to punch someone.

IMO....

IM and Tron (while light on rules) both are superior to Met. IM is really something (as is Tron) both are fun if you have a 2 minute or a 20 minute game.

If ever I was getting out of the hobby I would probably keep IM because it's to me the best short game to play.

#56 8 years ago

Just go pick up Tron already. It's the right choice.

#57 8 years ago

Tron FTW.. I own all three titles and Tron still mezmorizes me.. I cant get enough...

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

In a way, you have probably right but sincerely art package on acdc is the worst i have ever seen on a stern pinball machine. and i'm not talking about acdc pro...
basically gameplay is the most important for me with the general atmosphere on a pinball machine (sounds, callouts, theme, toys). it's just that Tron seems to be the best compromise for me.
In france, Tron is about 3700-4200€, Metallica 4000-4400€, and acdc premium over 6000€.
and yes, i would like to mod it a little with at least the eli ramp mod.

You certainly have not "compromised" by selecting TRON......excellent choice....enjoy!!!

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Tron Pro is awesome - and you can only do the "ricochet Gem shot" on a Pro BTW.
That would be my pick of the 3 for sure.

TRON is TRON....a badass pin.....I don't get into the "LE vs Pro" thing with this title....both winners.....seen some sick mods on a Pro.....

#60 8 years ago

Given the prices you list, Tron seems like the best deal (if you can find one.)

#61 8 years ago

basically i found acdc art package horrible. So if i would buy one it would certainly Not the pro.

Which is my point, no one would pick an AC/DC Pro over the other two games.

#62 8 years ago

I picked AC/DC but at the prices you listed get the tron

and this is from a guy who doesn't really like Tron that much

#63 8 years ago

Why is a premium model being put up against pro models? Of course the premium model should be the winner, it has more features. I personally can't understand the hate for ACDC pro and the ugly art. IMO I hate the way the the premium has that stupid cross bridge when you hit the left ramp and the Luci model is just plain ridiculous art too. The pro is faster. We all have opinions right...

#64 8 years ago

i have explain why just 2 posts up yours.
on the pro model, the mini lower playfield is replaced by an ugly "thing". The fact that this report is to fill a hole is all the more terrible. a kind of "hide misery" (if my english is correct)

#65 8 years ago

1 ACDC premium
2 Metallica pro

99 Tron pro

#66 8 years ago

Unless you are a big fan of AC/DC and/or Metallica, the music gets repetitious quickly. The Tron Daft Punk soundtrack is thrilling and timeless. The modding potential for Tron Pro is unmatched (if you can even find one that has not been modded) by any modern pin. I enjoy the gameplay of all three--maybe the music pins are better--but I am not a fan of Metallica, and while I respect the musicianship and song crafting ability of AC/DC, I can only listen to it for a finite period of time. That leaves Tron as the best choice for most (unless you somehow find the music of Daft Punk not to your liking...).

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

1 ACDC premium
2 Metallica pro

99 Tron pro

U b silly

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Unless you are a big fan of AC/DC and/or Metallica, the music gets repetitious quickly. The Tron Daft Punk soundtrack is thrilling and timeless.

Lol this is hilarious. One band has been around 40 years and the other over 30 yet Daft punk is "Timeless"???

Gimme a break let's see where daft punk is in 20 years before making such a ridiculous statement.

#70 8 years ago

never played any of them so.... tron all the way. that picture of angus young on the pf makes me want to punch it and metallica is not something I want to hear when I play pinball

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Lol this is hilarious. One band has been around 40 years and the other over 30 yet Daft punk is "Timeless"???
Gimme a break let's see where daft punk is in 20 years before making such a ridiculous statement.

I think acdc and Metallica musics are intended to a singular audience whereas daft punk aim to a wider audience.
It's that why Tron is more consensual IMO

#72 8 years ago

Tron Pro modded out with Ramp Lights, Arcade, pop caps, Recognizer = Greatest game of all times. So I vote for TRON

#73 8 years ago

I have AC/DC prem now and couldn't be happier. I'm having a NIB Met Pro modded out and should have it finished soon. After reading all this I think I made the right choice and picked another keeper. I Played Tron pro once and I wasn't blown away but it wasn't bad either. Played Met Pro once and loved it right away.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

I Played Tron pro once and I wasn't blown away but it wasn't bad either.

TRON pro not blinged out isn't all that unbelievable, but put a little $ into it for a few upgrades and its an eye catcher on top of a fun ruleset with great audio. I enjoyed AC/DC premium a lot, definitely a game I would buy again.

1 week later
#75 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Perhaps take a look at what I actually said. I did not say the band was timeless--they may wind up to be nothing more than a minor blip on the pop music timeline in 20 years (which seems to be your point--and might be a valid one). I did say the soundtrack they created for Tron was timeless, and I stand behind that statement. DP's work on Tron is amazing and will still sound relevant many years from now.

#76 8 years ago

Tron

#77 8 years ago

I own these 3 games and play every single day. All 3 are awesome.

#78 8 years ago

Is what it is.....

#80 8 years ago

I owned TRON but got a little tired of it. (too easy)
I now own MET which is deeper I believe software wise.
I know ACDC very good.

Off course TRON has a good sountrack, but so does metallica and acdc.

A lot depends on personal taste but my pic would be:
1) MET
2) TRON
3) ACDC

#81 8 years ago

Angus face was a barrier on AC/DC Pro for me as well.

Thanks to Aurich, problem solved with the Helen decal.

1 month later
#82 8 years ago

i finally give up Metallica and ACDC.
Tron is still in my mind but i hesitate now with a Walking Dead or getting back a Spider-man in my line-up.
in fact, i can't take my decision with tron coz i'm not sure about its lastability and so i wonder if it would be not better to take a pin i have never played (TWD) or a game player like Spider-man (that i never finished).
thanks for your advices.

#83 8 years ago

i finally give up Metallica and ACDC.
Tron is still in my mind but i hesitate now with a Walking Dead or getting back a Spider-Man in my line-up.
in fact, i can't take my decision with tron coz i'm not sure about its lastability and so i wonder if it would be not better to take a pin i have never played (TWD) or a game player like Spider-Man (that i never finished).
thanks for your advices.

Again you can't go wrong, as long as you get something it sounds like you are circleing around some of the best pins around IMO.

I sold SM, don't miss that much, but I'd probably get SM again over TWD to be honest.

#84 8 years ago

in fact, i can't take my decision with tron coz i'm not sure about its lastability

Well if that is what is stopping you, it will stop you from buying anything. No pin will last forever. I don't care how good a game it is, eventually it will get boring.

Our ownership of pins is just temporary. They come in and they are the greatest game ever, but the clock starts ticking. Eventually they will get stale and need to move to the next owner. In that time all you can hope for is a bunch of fun games on it. Grab a Tron, learn it, play it, and when you're ready, sell it. You're not getting married to it, you are just having an affair with it.

#85 8 years ago

I had acdc prem. dumped it
Bought it again, eventually got tired of it again

All the while had tron and met. Both of those stil going strong in my collection.

That's where my opinion lies

#86 8 years ago

Played a couple hours of AC/DC Premium at the barcade last night. It's $0.50 and the Metallica next to it is $0.75. I always feel like I'm ripping them off because they priced the best game in the bar cheaper. Metallica is no slouch, absolutely one of my favorite Stern Pros, but next to AC/DC I barely played it. AC/DC Premium is one of the games I specifically look for on Pinside when I'm in a city and looking for a place to play pinball.

I don't click with Tron personally. Just not in the same tier as the other two for me.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I don't click with Tron personally. Just not in the same tier as the other two for me.

I respect that, but that's what makes pinball subjective. I played Tron the first time the day I got my pin. Had never played it in the wild. From the first ball and every game since, I have not had a bad game. Some pins are so bad that I hate myself for playing them, others are so good that I can't believe how good they are. The only thing missing for me would be Color DMD for Tron which will come soon I think.

AcDc premium is also great, and probably overall nicer than Tron. Love them both, they're like 1a and 1b in my collection.

I've never had to choose but if I had to pick and can only play Tron or AcDc but never play the other ever again. Gun to my head I'd pick Tron.

#88 8 years ago

Stern is doing is doing something right because no one can agree what their best game is over the past just 3-4 years. I can't stand TWD, I think Tron is just good, AC/DC and Metallica are modern classics in my eyes. You could easily find someone to champion each one as the best game game ever made though (or Iron Man, or Star Trek, etc).

I have nitpicks with Stern over art and sometimes samey pro layouts, but damn if you don't like something they've done recently you don't like pinball

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Well if that is what is stopping you, it will stop you from buying anything. No pin will last forever. I don't care how good a game it is, eventually it will get boring.

as long as you had to finish it, that's the best lastability imo. That's the case for me.

So concerning Tron, Is portal difficult to get? Is portal difficult to complete?

thanks

#90 8 years ago

as long as you had to finish it, that's the best lastability imo. That's the case for me.
So concerning Tron, Is portal difficult to get? Is portal difficult to complete?
thanks

Portal is pretty difficult to get to and very difficult to complete
It's a pretty perfect combo of difficulty - you can get to SOS somewhat often, but portal infrequently, and finishing portal - most haven't

#91 8 years ago

My AC/DC premium has come and gone. It's a great game, but I don't really miss it. I personally think both Tron and MET are better. I don't even like Metallica's music, but it's a fun pin to shoot, and the rules are great. Tron is just awesome in every way.

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My AC/DC premium has come and gone. It's a great game, but I don't really miss it. I personally think both Tron and MET are better. I don't even like Metallica's music, but it's a fun pin to shoot, and the rules are great. Tron is just awesome in every way.

i can see TWD in your line-up. What do you think about it compared to Tron or SM?
thanks

#93 8 years ago

thanks

I am ashamed to admit that I have been to Portal once in the (next month will be) 4 years I have owned it. I'm actually debating going back to black rubber to make it a bit easier. I've been a couple shots away in SOS, but I've only started it once.

SOS is fairly common with a decent game. For some reason I just can't pull Portal together. At some point I'll get there again.

#94 8 years ago

i can see TWD in your line-up. how do you think about it compared to Tron or SM?

TWD premium/LE is currently my favorite pin. It's so different from everything else, in a good way. The rules are also phenomenal. I really like SM, but I don't think it's nearly as good as Tron or TWD. When it comes to comic book/superhero pins, XMLE is the best one by far, IMHO. It's also a real bargain considering what they sell for. I simply don't understand why that game doesn't command higher prices. They only made 550 of them, and there is no premium model.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I am ashamed to admit that I have been to Portal once in the (next month will be) 4 years I have owned it. I'm actually debating going back to black rubber to make it a bit easier. I've been a couple shots away in SOS, but I've only started it once.
SOS is fairly common with a decent game. For some reason I just can't pull Portal together. At some point I'll get there again.

For me, light cycle is by far the hardest mode to complete. I've been to Portal half a dozen times, but I can't tell you how many games I just missed it because of light cycle. The most amazing thing is if you can reach SoS with every mode lit solid and 2x playfield running. That gives you an instant 100M points, and it's one of the most satisfying accomplishments in all of pinball. I've only managed to pull it off once. Talk about a rush!

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

TWD premium/LE is currently my favorite pin. It's so different from everything else, in a good way. The rules are also phenomenal. I really like SM, but I don't think it's nearly as good as Tron or TWD. When it comes to comic book/superhero pins, XMLE is the best one by far, IMHO. It's also a real bargain considering what they sell for. I simply don't understand why that game doesn't command higher prices. They only made 550 of them, and there is no premium model.

Tron: pro or LE?
TWD: pro or premium/LE?

Thanks

#97 8 years ago

Tron: pro or LE?
TWD: pro or premium/LE?

I have a TWD LE and a Tron LE, but here's how I would rank all of them ...

1. TWD premium / LE
2. Tron LE
3. Tron pro
4. TWD pro

#98 8 years ago

Last question: playing hard actually on my x-men and i would like to pick up a different game. So Tron or TWD?
Thanks

#99 8 years ago

Although not on the list:

Tron LE is an exciting game, I just wish the "toys" had been designed better and being more immersive.
The code is good, artwork and features are great.
I cannot imagine playing a Tron without the neon ramp lights.
Suped up version of JM with a lot of furious shots.

Unfortunately, my vote goes to Metallica Pro for its use of the playfield, mechanics, and features.
Played all on the list, and the rest are certainly not bad either.

#100 8 years ago

Metalica Prem

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-vs-metallica-pro-vs-acdc-premium/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.